I never liked Dio's vocals in Sabbath or in general, really.

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

milk-milk-lemonade
Headlining a Theater Tour

I never liked Dio's vocals in Sabbath or in general, really.

Post by milk-milk-lemonade » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:29 pm

I prefer Ozzy's in Sabbath. The rest, I never really cared for. Besides, a song or two.

Flame away.
ImageImage
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:USA USA USA !!!
Mr.Happyface wrote:What the fuck are you talking about? Idiot.
The Sacred Cowman
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: I never liked Dio's vocals in Sabbath or in general, really.

Post by The Sacred Cowman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:36 pm

Same here. I am not a fan of his voice. There are just too many guys who sound like him. On the song "We're Stars", everyone sounds exactly the same except for Rob Halford and Don Dokken. Tony Martin is my favorite Sabbath singer.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:43 pm

Not a big fan of Dio. His solo stuff and Black Sabbath does nothing for me apart from about two songs. His stuff with Rainbow was way better. And yeah his voice, pretty meh imo.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
The Stench
Headlining Clubs

Post by The Stench » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:44 pm

TenBenny

Post by TenBenny » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Well, can't do nothin' for ya, man.

Team Dio!
Blizzard of Cos
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Blizzard of Cos » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:53 pm

you're rowan against the tide man
DemonFilth2001
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by DemonFilth2001 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:57 pm

Blizzard of Cos wrote:you're rowan against the tide man
Excellent.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
michelish
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by michelish » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:30 am

The Sacred Cowman wrote:Same here. I am not a fan of his voice. There are just too many guys who sound like him. On the song "We're Stars", everyone sounds exactly the same except for Rob Halford and Don Dokken. Tony Martin is my favorite Sabbath singer.
LOL!

You say too many people sound like the legendary and iconic Ronnie James Dio....which is hilariously wrong.....but your favorites Sabbath vocalist is Tony Martin who is far and away to worst and most generic cookie cutter dime a dozen vocalist Sabbath ever had.

You have to make a conscious and concerted effort to have such a stupid opinion.
genesracoonwig
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by genesracoonwig » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:04 am

I find most of the material he is associated with to be really generic. Good for a listen about once a year.
The Sacred Cowman

Post by The Sacred Cowman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:50 am

michelish wrote:
The Sacred Cowman wrote:Same here. I am not a fan of his voice. There are just too many guys who sound like him. On the song "We're Stars", everyone sounds exactly the same except for Rob Halford and Don Dokken. Tony Martin is my favorite Sabbath singer.
LOL!

You say too many people sound like the legendary and iconic Ronnie James Dio....which is hilariously wrong.....but your favorites Sabbath vocalist is Tony Martin who is far and away to worst and most generic cookie cutter dime a dozen vocalist Sabbath ever had.

You have to make a conscious and concerted effort to have such a stupid opinion.
Excuse me, my collection of 2,000+ rock records and my experiences of singing and playing in semi-professional level refuse to have a stupid opinion. Ronnie Dio is an iconic vocalist and there's no denying it, but after him, too many guys started sounding like him, not his fault, but his style is easy to mimic and his sort of forced vocal delivery tires you out rather easily. Headless Cross, Eternal Idol and TYR are underrated classics, casual fans didn't care for Tony Martin but he killed on them. I can still listen to them and get in a metal mood.
SikkiNixx
Sharing sandwiches with street kids

Post by SikkiNixx » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:30 am

milk-milk-lemonade wrote:I prefer Ozzy's in Sabbath. The rest, I never really cared for. Besides, a song or two.

Flame away.
I'm there with you 100%... RJD always seemed like a great guy to hang out with.. talk about sex, drugs and rock n roll... But for the life of me I can't get into his shit... Black Sabbath is only Black Sabbath when Izzy is singing.. can't help it.. Still wish RJD to RIP tho
St. Valentine wrote:

"First base is anal"
CaptainCaveman
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by CaptainCaveman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:59 am

The Sacred Cowman wrote: On the song "We're Stars", everyone sounds exactly the same except for Rob Halford and Don Dokken. Tony Martin is my favorite Sabbath singer.
Shortino sounds exactly like Meniketti?
Dubrow sounds exactly like Tate?
All 4 of them sound exactly like Dio?
Thank god for the almighty Tony Martin. Fuck that stupid fuck Dio for not calling in Tony to sing the entire song. Tragic.
dk
Recording Debut Album

Post by dk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:22 am

SikkiNixx wrote:
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:I prefer Ozzy's in Sabbath. The rest, I never really cared for. Besides, a song or two.

Flame away.
I'm there with you 100%... RJD always seemed like a great guy to hang out with.. talk about sex, drugs and rock n roll... But for the life of me I can't get into his shit... Black Sabbath is only Black Sabbath when Izzy is singing.. can't help it.. Still wish RJD to RIP tho
Haha! When I read your post I didn't realize that you had made a typo, and I was thinking "Izzy? Fucking hell, how many singers did Sabbath go through? I've never even heard of this guy".
veritas
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by veritas » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:26 am

I can understand why he is not everyone's cup of tea: he was a very dramatic singer, with an intense voice, and that doesn't always work for everyone.
I LOVE Dio in Rainbow and Sabbath, but even some of his vocal affectations, particularly in solo work can be a bit much.
And it depends on how you were introduced to Sabbath: I actually arrived through Heaven and Hell and had a hard time enjoying Ozzy in Sabbath because everything sounded so thin in comparison (I now love Sabbath with Ozzy).

That said, to say his voice is "generic" is stupid. It may only sound partially that way because of how many imitators he spawned, but he was a true original, unique voiced singer.
Rÿche 1

Post by Rÿche 1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:15 pm

Flame away.
You're entitled to your opinion. No matter how stupid it is.
QRÿche R.I.P. 1982-2012

I am NOT uptheass, so go fuck yourself...
Zinny

Post by Zinny » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 pm

Not only was Dio's voice better, the Dio era Sabbath songs were better too!
SeminiferousButtNoid
Certified Asshole

Post by SeminiferousButtNoid » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:07 pm

Flame away.

I'm the opposite. I didn't like Ozzy Black Sabbath and love Dio-era. I do like Ozzy's solo career though.
Son_of_Sam_I_Am wrote:
Aren't you one of those meat-selling scammers?

Then the mark takes the bait, hauls the box home and finds out it's full of sheep eyeballs, horse dicks and tripe?

You're running (or have run) that scam, aren't you? Dead serious question here.
gr8twhte
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by gr8twhte » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:21 pm

Dio Sabbath is way more melodic than Ozzy Sabbath.

You don't like him, fine. To say his voice is generic is asinine. He had a powerful fucking voice.
milk-milk-lemonade
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by milk-milk-lemonade » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:41 am

gr8twhte wrote:Dio Sabbath is way more melodic than Ozzy Sabbath.

You don't like him, fine. To say his voice is generic is asinine. He had a powerful fucking voice.

SLANDER! I never said his voice is generic. See you in court, asshole! :lol:
ImageImage
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:USA USA USA !!!
Mr.Happyface wrote:What the fuck are you talking about? Idiot.
Scandal2000

Post by Scandal2000 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:09 am

Dio would definitely be in my Top 10 favorite singers of all-time. Love most of his solo stuff, his work with Rainbow, and I will take Dio Sabbath over most of the Ozzy stuff any day of the week.
David Lee Hasselhoff

Post by David Lee Hasselhoff » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:34 am

While I like Dio a lot, I find myself tired of his voice after half an hour or so. It's often a bit too much drama for me. That and his in-your-face voice are a somewhat grating combination.
"Even my songwriting has been adversely affected as my guitar brushes against my sensitive breasts thus disrupting my very concentration ceasing valuable production.”
SikkiNixx
Sharing sandwiches with street kids

Post by SikkiNixx » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:39 pm

dk wrote:
SikkiNixx wrote:

Flame away.
Haha! When I read your post I didn't realize that you had made a typo, and I was thinking "Izzy? Fucking hell, how many singers did Sabbath go through? I've never even heard of this guy".
Yeah.. this new phone makes stupid automatic corrections... I need to fix the settings.. I type Ozzy and soon as i start typing the next word it changes to Izzy and I don't even notice
St. Valentine wrote:

"First base is anal"
Stinky McFister
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Stinky McFister » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:43 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the reason he never achived Ozzy status as a solo artist. Outside of the Heaven and Hell disc, I wondered why he recived so much worship as a heavy metal god on the boards. I never really dug his vox either. :o
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:23 pm

Dio's great and this is a silly load of crap, BUT... I could very sincerely make the same statement about Bruce Dickinson. I absolutely hate his voice.
radiobed wrote:conservatives are stupid...oh and racist too.
Bair Hand wrote:i'll suck your dick for a cup of coffee
suckit
Platinum Artist

Post by suckit » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:39 pm

dk wrote:
SikkiNixx wrote:

Flame away.
TheDeadBastard wrote:"Don Henley Gets Bigger Guarantees Calling Himself The Eagles featuring The 2 Guys Who've Been On Salary Plus Some Other Guys On Salary Than A Don Henley Solo Tour" is hell to put on a T-Shirt, so they're sticking with "The Eagles".
LAglamrocker
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by LAglamrocker » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:02 am

Sabbath, solo Ozzy or Dio stuff isn’t that great
The ass kissing of this material from fans is hilarious..it’s far from great

Steelheart songs and vocals from 2nd cd blow this stuff away
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
digubetterdead
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by digubetterdead » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:09 am

Sabbath will always be remembered for Ozzy. Dio was definitely the better singer and I think his output with Sabbath is much better. There is nothing generic about Dio. From doo-wop to metal, he did it all...and well. You can't say the same for Ozzy.
michelish
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by michelish » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:34 am

The Sacred Cowman wrote:
michelish wrote:
LOL!

Excuse me, my collection of 2,000+ rock records and my experiences of singing and playing in semi-professional level refuse to have a stupid opinion. Ronnie Dio is an iconic vocalist and there's no denying it, but after him, too many guys started sounding like him, not his fault, but his style is easy to mimic and his sort of forced vocal delivery tires you out rather easily. Headless Cross, Eternal Idol and TYR are underrated classics, casual fans didn't care for Tony Martin but he killed on them. I can still listen to them and get in a metal mood.
Buying records and being in some crappy band isn't a valid rationalization or excuse for having dicks in your ears.
thedevilknowsmyname
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by thedevilknowsmyname » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:37 pm

pieceofme wrote:And yeah his voice, pretty meh imo.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
TenBenny wrote:I would not see them in a club
I would not see them in a pub
I would not see them in a store
I would not see them, Manowar
“Why is this old black guy covering Led Zeppelin?!"--Alan Niven on Jack Russell on Willie Dixon
Peter Crisp
Headlining Clubs

Post by Peter Crisp » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:50 am

Dio was an iconic singer in metal. Along with Halford and (sigh) Dickinson, Dios voice IS heavy metal. Besides Sabbath and Rainbow he made a couple essential solo albums. Holy Diver is perfect and Last In Line is pretty close.

That said. There's only so much Dio I can take before snapping off the volume.
"Springsteen will never write anything that even comes close to 'Something to Believe In' or 'Every Rose Has it's Thorn.' " - Courtesy of Mr. P13.