Dave Grohl readies mini-documentary of 23-minute multi-instrument solo performance

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

TenBenny
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Dave Grohl readies mini-documentary of 23-minute multi-instrument solo performance

Post by TenBenny » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:09 am

Interesting concept. Teaser in the article. I'll be curious to watch/hear this.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dave-g ... cumentary/

DAVE GROHL Presents 'Play', A Two-Part Mini-Documentary

August 1, 2018

As FOO FIGHTERS wind down another leg of the massive "Concrete And Gold" tour with a Wrigley Field doubleheader that rocked more than 75,000 of Chicago's FF faithful, Dave Grohl announces an unprecedented new project born of the most challenging performance of his storied career.

"Play" is a two-part mini-documentary, directed by Grohl with help from his "Sound City"/"Sonic Highways" collaborator Mark Monroe, celebrating the rewards and challenges of dedicating ones life to playing and mastering a musical instrument. Part one opens with narrated behind the scenes footage featuring discussion of the love of playing music and the lifelong relationship with an instrument, and detailing the process and challenges of recording and filming this unique performance.

"Play" film then segues to the titular 23-minute, one-man-band instrumental recording on which Grohl plays all seven instruments on the track, all live. The entire song was played by Grohl, each time on a different instrument, live for 23 minutes. Beginning with the recording of the entire drum track purely from memory, with no sheet music or guide tracks, followed by guitar, then bass, then keyboards, and so on… Grohl tasked himself with a one-man-band recording session that was forced to start from the very beginning of the 23-minute song any time the slightest mistake was made or if Grohl felt he could do a better take. "Concrete And Gold" engineer Darrell Thorp was on hand to capture the sounds.

Filmed in classic black and white by Brandon Trost ("The Disaster Artist", "This Is The End"), with lighting modulating to match the dramatic peaks and valleys of this epic instrumental, "Play" was then edited to feature seven Grohl's recordings together. The "Play" online interactive experience offers viewer/listener/participants the options of taking in the mini-doc and Grohl performance as is, focusing on one instrument, and/or downloading "Play" sheet music. The online version of "Play" also includes a list of organizations where time, money and instruments can be donated to the cause — and places where musicians young and old alike can have the opportunity to play live music.

The challenges Grohl created for himself in creating "Play" mirror those taken on by music students every day: The obstacles they face in their daily efforts to elevate and improve their abilities are no different than those faced by a world class stadium rocker — both are striving for the same goals. This shared quest gave "Play" its mission to inspire and promote music education: The film is intercut with young musicians from the Join The Band music school in the San Fernando Valley practicing their craft, working relentlessly to get it right, and always coming back to the conclusion that, in Grohl's words, "'just like any kid, the reward is just to PLAY."

Through partnerships with music and media organizations, schools and charities the world over, "Play" and its portrait of the joy of playing music should be a catalyst for discussion and action to benefit music education on a global level. Keep your eyes on play.roswellfilms.com for information on upcoming auctions with proceeds benefiting local music education organizations.
LAglamrocker
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: Dave Grohl readies mini-documentary of 23-minute multi-instrument solo performance

Post by LAglamrocker » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:12 am

Should have been mini article
What idiot will read all of this
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
The Prez
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Dave Grohl readies mini-documentary of 23-minute multi-instrument solo performance

Post by The Prez » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:57 pm

Could be interesting...say what you will about him but dude's a great musician and constantly making an effort to keep things new and exciting. Gotta respect that.
grishnak boss

Post by grishnak boss » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:55 pm

NIRVANA WON.

ONE DOES STUFF LIKE THIS, THE OTHER WRITES ARTICLES ABOUT GETTING CRABS
SatanOscillateMyMetallicSonatas

Dogma: I am God.

The Prez

Post by The Prez » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:28 pm

The video's out now...worth a watch. I'd like to see more people try this sort of thing, though most would fail, I reckon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e05H80-k0mY
TenBenny

Post by TenBenny » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:01 pm

That's one heck of an experiment. Grohl's (clearly discernible) level of patience and discipline in getting this right is incredibly admirable and inspiring. And the piece itself is pretty awesome, too.
The Prez

Post by The Prez » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:25 pm

TenBenny wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:01 pm
That's one heck of an experiment. Grohl's (clearly discernible) level of patience and discipline in getting this right is incredibly admirable and inspiring. And the piece itself is pretty awesome, too.
Yeah, it must have been a ton of work. Don't think most people realize just how difficult it is getting something like this right, especially when it's you doing all the instruments.
Bair Hand
OMG STONER! LOOK AT ME!

Post by Bair Hand » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:01 am

that was fantastic.
well done.
grishnak boss

Post by grishnak boss » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:32 am

your mom does fantastic blow jobs

well done
SatanOscillateMyMetallicSonatas

Dogma: I am God.

K.K.VanMalmsteen
Headlining Clubs

Post by K.K.VanMalmsteen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:40 am

That was killer.
Rush's influence is all over that thing.
eddie lee roth wrote:If you want to hold hands and sing Kumbaya before we blow each other you've come to the wrong place motherfucker.
MetalSludgeCEO wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:25 am
Ready, Set, Anal.
$tEvil
Funz
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Funz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:41 am

Fun. Many musicians could do this if they had a full studio staff assisting, it's not that impossible to pull off. It's essentially track recording on video. Still impressive, I agree.
Pierce Foreskin
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Pierce Foreskin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:55 am

I enjoyed that a lot more than I thought I would. Dave doesn't scream 20min prog instrumentalist to me. But that was a fun song.
Every lady needs a Prince Albert in her Can
UtahRatt wrote: You either like Zappa or you like taking it up the ass with anal beads the size of a plum.
DevastatinDave
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by DevastatinDave » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:01 am

Being very successful doesn't stop this guy from pushing the envelope creatively. I'm not a huge FF fan because I've gone full dinosaur old guy mode with very little new music, but i really enjoy what he's doing in his career.

I really dig this song. I really think he said "I want to write a 70's epic Rush song of my own"
The Prez

Post by The Prez » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:48 pm

Funz wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:41 am
Fun. Many musicians could do this if they had a full studio staff assisting, it's not that impossible to pull off. It's essentially track recording on video. Still impressive, I agree.
Perhaps. Can you think of a few that would be capable of pulling something like this off? Just generally interested in people that are this good I might not be aware off.
Deege
Headlining Clubs

Post by Deege » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Funz wrote:
True but he didn't go in and fix mistakes. Each instrument is all one take, one sitting. If he fucked up, he started all over from the beginning so that it's all one take. A lot of people can play every instrument and record an entire album themselves, but generally they will punch in and fix mistakes, etc, etc...
http://www.FuzzRecordingStudio.com
Affordable Multitrack Recording (Ohio)
http://www.SDMFworldwide.com
The Official Black Label Society Fan-Site
Pierce Foreskin

Post by Pierce Foreskin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:09 pm

I hope he does more stuff like this i'd be a buyer for more prog jams.
Every lady needs a Prince Albert in her Can
UtahRatt wrote: You either like Zappa or you like taking it up the ass with anal beads the size of a plum.
Funz
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Funz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:18 am

Deege wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 pm
Funz wrote:
True but he didn't go in and fix mistakes. Each instrument is all one take, one sitting. If he fucked up, he started all over from the beginning so that it's all one take. A lot of people can play every instrument and record an entire album themselves, but generally they will punch in and fix mistakes, etc, etc...
Well . . . so he said, anyway.

Has anyone actually sat through this? A few minutes was plenty for me. Dave's just blah.

If many artists whose music you buy WANTED to do something like this they could certainly pull something like this off.
michelish

Post by michelish » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:34 am

Every single move he makes is a gimmick or a stunt.

Boring.
TenBenny

Post by TenBenny » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:14 pm

michelish wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:34 am

Boring.

You mean just like every post you make on Sludge?

If that's the case, I'm not sure why you wouldn't be into what he does.
michelish

Post by michelish » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:51 am

You're still pissy about that AC/DC nonsense you crapped out. Funny
suckit
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by suckit » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:34 am

michelish wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:34 am

Boring.
Yep he puts a shitload of time, effort, and calculation into constantly trying to show everyone how unpretentious he is.
MetalSludgeCEO wrote: TV SHOW PUSSY ... Aside from Pam Anderson, Christina Applegate and Trudy from Facts Of Life, who did you wanna bang?