"Hot For Teacher" is an awful song

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Hellbound
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: "Hot For Teacher" is an awful song

Post by Hellbound »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:18 pm This is a perfect example of everything Dave did right... Like many VH songs, if you listen to just the music, it's actually rather dark and very UN-melodic. Definitely not a FUN song musically.

Dave's lyrics, melodies and of course the backing vocals made it a pop hit!
It's pretty damn fun to play on guitar though ALTHOUGH I do have this curious instinct to commit suicide halfway through the chorus. Maybe you're on to something.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Lol! Ok maybe Somebody Get Me a Doctor is a better example. Listen to the guitar in the verse. It just sounds a lot tougher and darker. Dave lightened it up and made it more fun.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

dmbrocker wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:39 am
Love_Industry wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:11 am
whiteowl yesterday wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:33 am love that song and video.
Just the drum intro is iconic and worth the price of admission.
Agreed with both of these statements. Don't know what crack OP is smoking, but "Hot For Teacher" rules, and for anyone who disagrees, I only have this to say:

"SIT DOWN, WALDO!!!"
In all fairness, you think every song rules.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

pieceofme wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:49 pm
Love_Industry wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:11 am

Just the drum intro is iconic and worth the price of admission.
Agreed with both of these statements. Don't know what crack OP is smoking, but "Hot For Teacher" rules, and for anyone who disagrees, I only have this to say:

"SIT DOWN, WALDO!!!"
Well, most music (unless it's bro country, which is absolute suckage). Although in my defense I've listened to songs from the band Flies on Fire's 1989 album. It was pretty damn weak compared to most of the other bands we discuss here.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

My thoughts are that this place unironically has threads suggesting some of the worst albums ever recorded (Dog Eat Dog, SOTT, MC94, anything by Winger) are secret masterpieces while at the same time here is a thread proposing that one of the most impactful rock and roll songs of the 80s... one of the most influential guitar performances ever put to tape.....is actually, in fact, awful.

What a brave take. :roll:
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

dmbrocker wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:05 pm
pieceofme wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:49 pm

"SIT DOWN, WALDO!!!"
Well, most music (unless it's bro country, which is absolute suckage). Although in my defense I've listened to songs from the band Flies on Fire's 1989 album. It was pretty damn weak compared to most of the other bands we discuss here.
I'm glad you don't sink that low dmbrocker.

Which poster likes bro country again? Nate S Axel? Something like that. Unforgivable really.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

I think I know what OP is going for. It’s not much of a song.

Great drum intro.

Great guitar intro.

Great solo.

Great music video.

But is it much of a song? It wouldn’t even be top 20 VH songs for me. There’s no verse, he’s just talking. Doesn’t come close to Panama, ATBL, Devil, I’m The One etc.
Bobby Blotzer wrote: This is the kind of shit the bozo over at metal sludge does
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

FreddyFender wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:47 pm My thoughts are that this place unironically has threads suggesting some of the worst albums ever recorded (Dog Eat Dog, SOTT, MC94, anything by Winger) are secret masterpieces while at the same time here is a thread proposing that one of the most impactful rock and roll songs of the 80s... one of the most influential guitar performances ever put to tape.....is actually, in fact, awful.

Add Living Colour - Stain to the Sludge secret messterpieces list. :roll:
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DangerZone »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:19 am
FreddyFender wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:47 pm My thoughts are that this place unironically has threads suggesting some of the worst albums ever recorded (Dog Eat Dog, SOTT, MC94, anything by Winger) are secret masterpieces while at the same time here is a thread proposing that one of the most impactful rock and roll songs of the 80s... one of the most influential guitar performances ever put to tape.....is actually, in fact, awful.

nah brah, it’s apparently one of the best of all time
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Killer video, fun banter in the song...but as a whole it's not one of my favourites, it probably wouldn't even make my Top 30 VH songs (but it beats any VHagar song fo sho)...
Nate S Axel
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Nate S Axel »

pieceofme wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:02 pm I'm glad you don't sink that low dmbrocker.

Which poster likes bro country again? Nate S Axel? Something like that. Unforgivable really.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

YEEHAW!!! I can dig it. Love the sound, it's just fun. It's just not grandpa's country music anymore. Most people on here don't go to shows anymore, are broke, hate crowds of people, and anything to do with having fun or being happy since the early 90s, and that's fine, but I still do (and always will). Country music concerts, festivals, and crowds are much more fun than any "rock" concert today, not even close. Acoustic Trixter? :shock:

As for "Hot For Teacher", fun song, and fun video. Van Halen is my #5 most-played artist of all-time according to LastFM, and looking at my VH top tracks, looks like HFT is #15. https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil/l ... preset=ALL
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

DangerZone wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:28 am

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8fc93147-d ... 5c4f6e86d0
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:51 pm
Newsted's FU Money wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:21 am I love classic VH, but "Hot For Teacher" is a turd of a song. There's no hook in sight. I bet Stevie Rachelle loves it.

What are your thoughts? Discuss.

""""" I bet Stevie Rachelle loves it."""""""

Honestly... I loved it... until I was about 22 or 23... so, for about 4-5 years.

But after being in L.A. for a few years and realizing the level of phoniness and F#@kery that most of these "rock stars" were in real life, I soon soured of all.

Roth is embarrassing AF now... regardless of his former greatness, he did NOT age well and I am not just talking looks.

The guy is a pure goof... he could be in a diaper and pushing a walker and still spitting stupid one-liners thinking he's hip.

His debut solo album was great, but it was also a simultaneous jump of the shark.

This is 1 of the VERY BEST songs he ever recorded... it sounds real and genuine, with no stupid lyrics or contrived laughing or screams to be heard, thankfully.

"Good Times" > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZieY9DTPOA

$tEvil

As good and batshit crazy fun as California Girls was, I remember thinking he jumped the shark with JAG. That was embarrassing
Busch1724
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Busch1724 »

Think of the great songs of all time, Stairway, Free Bird, Hotel California, Bohemian Rhapsody, and many others; they don't follow the typical song structure. Hot for Teacher, kind of the similar vain. It's great because it's different.
skatexedge
Headlining Clubs

Post by skatexedge »

Love_Industry wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:41 am
TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:36 am 1984 was the worst Van Halen album ever.
Have you even heard VH3 and OU812?
It's not even the worst with the OG band, that honor goes (by far) to Filler Down.
THIS x1000!! :shock:
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Busch1724 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:48 amHot for Teacher, kind of the similar vain.
Bobby Blotzer wrote: This is the kind of shit the bozo over at metal sludge does
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

The Stones' Dirty Work is also an unappreciated Sludge Lost Classic that's better than Exile on Main St.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:11 am

The Stones' Dirty Work is also an unappreciated Sludge Lost Classic that's better than Exile on Main St.
And isn't some later day Motörhead album, Inferno or Hammered, up there with Bomber, Ace and Overkill?
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

skatexedge wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:11 am
TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:36 am 1984 was the worst Van Halen album ever.
It's not even the worst with the OG band, that honor goes (by far) to Filler Down.
ADKOT truth is total shit too
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:09 am
skatexedge wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:11 am

ADKOT truth is total shit too
It's not the OG band though, and I disagree.
The mixing/mastering blows and it has too many same-sounding songs, but overall I like it.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Add AC/DC - Flick to the Lost Classics list. Seen a few dopes white-knight The Cult - Ceremony too.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

That is one person’s opinion on here. Judging by the responses, I would say that most of us view the song and album favorably. That said, I do understand some of the criticisms of 1984 given the style and songwriting of their past albums like the debut, Women & Chikdren and Fair Warning . 1984 is slick, compressed and drenched with synths by comparison. They also had a huge synth laced pop hit with Jump. I’m a fan but some people aren’t. I know this might be insulting to you but not every fan views Dave as God’s gift.

You think MC94 is one of the worst records ever recorded? Worse than Music From The Elder? Worse than Kilroy Was Here? Worse than when Gary Cherone was in the band? Worse than Dave’s Your Filthy Little Mouth and all the different sh*t shows he’s released since?

What do you have against Winger? Winger were way better than Ratt, Quiet Riot, Black N Blue, WASP, Twisted Sister, Poison, Autograph and Dokken.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:26 pm Image
His own worst enemy. Where was Pete Anglus and Eddie Anderson to stop this type of thing?
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

He had a big fallout with Pete Angelus and they’ve never spoken about it. Maybe he tried to go in raw.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Here’s some good sludge from another board.

I can address this subject for you. I used to work for Angelus Entertainment at the time that Pete parted ways with Dave. Pete brought his staff into his office and was very sincere in explaining his decision to resign from managing DLR. It had nothing at all to do with Pete's like or dislike of DLR's "A Little Ain't Enough" as is suggested in one of the posts.
Pete explained to us that he did not feel he could stand by DLR's increasingly erratic behavior and dubious decisions. Dave had demanded the firing of both Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan and Pete was in compete disagreement. Dave also had some run ins with some of his crew (throwing mic stands at them) that Pete felt was completely inappropriate and very disrespectful to the people who were working hard on DLR's behalf.
We understood because by 1989, DLR was pretty rude to most of us who worked for Angelus Entertainment.
There was one night where Pete was rehearsing The Black Crowes at SIR in Hollywood for their American Recordings showcase. DLR showed up, uninvited and unannounced, and in a rage was yelling at the band that he was their manager too. When Pete arrived, he had to remove Dave from their rehearsal room. It was a really unpleasant scene that we would later hear The Crowes talk about when they came to the office. That was followed by a day when Pete was on the set with The Black Crowes directing their first video and Dave showed up again, uninvited, and started saying he was the video director too. Pete had to talk him down and get him off the set. I was there to witness that insanity, it wasn't pretty and Dave really embarrassed himself.
A week later, Pete resigned as Dave's manager.
DLR didn't mention him in his book because 1) he took all the credit for so many of the ideas Pete had and video's Pete directed and 2) he was upset with Pete for resigning.
It was inaccurate for someone to suggest that Dave felt that Pete was a fair weather friend.
Dave knew exactly how creative and loyal Pete was to his artist's and he was upset when Pete called him out on his behavior and moved in another direction.
We all saw what Pete went through with Dave and we were surprised that he tried to keep things moving forward for as long as he did considering how crazy Dave was getting.
DLR just acted like a little child when he omitted Pete from his book but everyone who played or worked with DLR, everyone at the record label, publicity company and everyone who did any work for DLR knew of Pete's involvement and contributions.
dweezil
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by dweezil »

The video > the song itself
You can listen to my two albums here.... Sludge away, fuckers!

http://easeintothenoise.bandcamp.com
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

BernieTaupson wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:39 pm Here’s some good sludge from another board.

I can address this subject for you. I used to work for Angelus Entertainment at the time that Pete parted ways with Dave. Pete brought his staff into his office and was very sincere in explaining his decision to resign from managing DLR. It had nothing at all to do with Pete's like or dislike of DLR's "A Little Ain't Enough" as is suggested in one of the posts.
Pete explained to us that he did not feel he could stand by DLR's increasingly erratic behavior and dubious decisions. Dave had demanded the firing of both Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan and Pete was in compete disagreement. Dave also had some run ins with some of his crew (throwing mic stands at them) that Pete felt was completely inappropriate and very disrespectful to the people who were working hard on DLR's behalf.
We understood because by 1989, DLR was pretty rude to most of us who worked for Angelus Entertainment.
There was one night where Pete was rehearsing The Black Crowes at SIR in Hollywood for their American Recordings showcase. DLR showed up, uninvited and unannounced, and in a rage was yelling at the band that he was their manager too. When Pete arrived, he had to remove Dave from their rehearsal room. It was a really unpleasant scene that we would later hear The Crowes talk about when they came to the office. That was followed by a day when Pete was on the set with The Black Crowes directing their first video and Dave showed up again, uninvited, and started saying he was the video director too. Pete had to talk him down and get him off the set. I was there to witness that insanity, it wasn't pretty and Dave really embarrassed himself.
A week later, Pete resigned as Dave's manager.
DLR didn't mention him in his book because 1) he took all the credit for so many of the ideas Pete had and video's Pete directed and 2) he was upset with Pete for resigning.
It was inaccurate for someone to suggest that Dave felt that Pete was a fair weather friend.
Dave knew exactly how creative and loyal Pete was to his artist's and he was upset when Pete called him out on his behavior and moved in another direction.
We all saw what Pete went through with Dave and we were surprised that he tried to keep things moving forward for as long as he did considering how crazy Dave was getting.
DLR just acted like a little child when he omitted Pete from his book but everyone who played or worked with DLR, everyone at the record label, publicity company and everyone who did any work for DLR knew of Pete's involvement and contributions.
HUGE IF TRUE!

Kidding aside, Excellent Sludge… thread worthy all its own honestly.

Roth’s solo career peaked with Crazy From The Heat for me. Injecting his personality into classic songs was absolute genius.

The rock stuff… there were some good tunes, but overall came up way short to me. By ALAE he was like a bad parody of 1984.

Its easier to cut ties with an artist if they’re no longer selling records. On the flip side, if you wanna act like a prima donna, you better sell some fucking records.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

FreddyFender wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:13 pm
The rock stuff… there were some good tunes, but overall came up way short to me. By ALAE he was like a bad parody of 1984.

Its easier to cut ties with an artist if they’re no longer selling records. On the flip side, if you wanna act like a prima donna, you better sell some fucking records.
ALAE was kinda selling (way past Gold in a few months) and the Euro tour went well when Warner decided to downprioritize Roth. They had other acts selling more, and didn't like his behavior. See also Europe going from double platinum with OOTW to not charting with Prisoners because their (by then former) manager and Norum's onetime stepdad Thomas Erdtman had pissed off everyone at the US label and also co-manager Herbie Herbert. Sometimes they kill a band because of personality issues, and in 1991 label execs probably saw that they had other options with more of a future.
Last edited by Love_Industry on Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Roth fucked the wrong record company guy’s wife and they dropped the promo shortly before it went platinum so it stalled at gold. That’s the story anyway.