Slash is such a terrible songwriter

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Slash is such a terrible songwriter

Post by SchenkerFan »

Pretty much all of his solo albums are by the numbers hard rock.

He considers the first Snakepit a pretty good album. But he couldn't tell that he had come up with something great when he played the Sweet Child O Mine riff, he needed other people to tell him that.

People want new GNR tunes, do they honestly believe it would be better than the 20 year old recycled Axl turds they've put out? :lol:
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Slash is such a terrible songwriter

Post by Mojo »

Shitty, wrong take.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
Zinny
Headlining Clubs

Post by Zinny »

If you ask a thousand people on the street if they can name a Slash solo song, nobody would know a single one.
He’s an icon and likeable, people want to like him but he needs to get help from a real songwriter and a decent singer (I can’t stand Myle’s nasal yodeling).
But I doubt he’s doing it for the hit singles or money these days…
MattleyCrue
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by MattleyCrue »

I can name them all

Snakepit albums rule as do SMKC
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

I would and have said the opposite. Slash solo is way more consistent than Axl n Co. Slash is the soul of true GnR...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

Ain’t Live Grand is a great album. That first Velvet Revolver album is full of great shit. There is good stuff on all of his solo shit, regardless of who the singer is.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

I could be wrong but I don’t think Slash is being all that honest when he says that about SCOM. If he is being honest then he should’ve been laying off the Jack & Cokes and Betty White. I agree with him about the Snakepit album(s). I think Eric’s and Rod’s voices are great and the songs are awesome! I like the Snakepit albums better than Chin Dem and VR. He set himself up for failure a little with the original Snakepit lineup. There was no way Mike Inez was going to be able to commit full time due to AIC. He would’ve been stupid to quit that gig at the time even with Layne’s instabilities. I wish Slash had been sober at the time too and been able to make the vocalist situation work, either stick with Eric or started with Rod. Rod claims Chris Cornell and a bunch of other singers tried out too.
JizzySynatra

Post by JizzySynatra »

He also can't play Ain't Talkin' Bout Love
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I'll go along with the basic premise of this thread.

Guns n' Roses is the ultimate "greater-than-the-sum-of-their-parts" band. As soon as they made it big, they dismantled the main thing going for them (chemistry) piece by piece.

They all released solo albums (and ChiDem is definitely Axl solo)... and none have a hint of what made Appetite great.

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

This. 👆

/thread
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

JizzySynatra wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:42 pm He also can't play Ain't Talkin' Bout Love
Runaround was even worse but at least that was funny because it came across as trolling Sammy.

https://youtu.be/TTFQQJz_4tc?si=d4ViGSvaqlIuewQo
Bobby Blotzer wrote: This is the kind of shit the bozo over at metal sludge does
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

BernieTaupson wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:29 pm
JizzySynatra wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:42 pm He also can't play Ain't Talkin' Bout Love
Runaround was even worse but at least that was funny because it came across as trolling Sammy.

I saw that as it happened... it was great.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:24 pm I'll go along with the basic premise of this thread.

Guns n' Roses is the ultimate "greater-than-the-sum-of-their-parts" band. As soon as they made it big, they dismantled the main thing going for them (chemistry) piece by piece.

They all released solo albums (and ChiDem is definitely Axl solo)... and none have a hint of what made Appetite great.

Came in here to post the exact same thing.

I'd say their later projects hints of the magic here and there... Some of the melodies on Chinese Democracy, couple of tunes on Contraband, but none of it comes close to what they had.

And the can be said of pretty much any great band that didn't just have one guy as the main singer/songwriter. Look at Page and Plant outside of Zeppelin. Even Lennon and Mccartney, the greatest songwriting team of the second half of the twentieth century.... majority of their solo works is hookless, unlistenable trash.
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Slash has always been a collaborator in terms of songwriting. To my knowledge, he’s never been the type to being in a completed song with lyrics, etc. He writes musical parts - riffs, melodies, etc, and he’s good at that.

Sure, the songs have always been hit or miss for my ears, but that doesn’t make him “terrible” at what he does.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

The Slash album with the guest singers is excellent!
eddie lee roth

Post by eddie lee roth »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:31 pm

That whole night was a mess for VH. Only 2 guys there to accept and neither one are in the band. And even worse is when they play a love song from their era with Paul Schafer and it sounds like a bad Holiday Inn band.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

Mojo wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:28 pm Ain’t Live Grand is a great album. That first Velvet Revolver album is full of great shit. There is good stuff on all of his solo shit, regardless of who the singer is.
This^
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

eddie lee roth wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:27 am
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:31 pm

That whole night was a mess for VH. Only 2 guys there to accept and neither one are in the band. And even worse is when they play a love song from their era with Paul Schafer and it sounds like a bad Holiday Inn band.
You know I hadn't actually watched that in like 15 years and it's even worse than I remember. Just terrible.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Ozzy Stradlin wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:18 pm Slash has always been a collaborator in terms of songwriting. To my knowledge, he’s never been the type to being in a completed song with lyrics, etc. He writes musical parts - riffs, melodies, etc, and he’s good at that.

Sure, the songs have always been hit or miss for my ears, but that doesn’t make him “terrible” at what he does.
This pretty much nails it. I don't really think he's the kinda guy to sit around and write songs all day. Riffs, melodies..Yes.

Kinda think DLR was the same in VH. He took good songs, and added his melodies to them to make them great.
endstand

Post by endstand »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:24 pm I'll go along with the basic premise of this thread.

Yep.

And have to add, as much there is this mystique about how ”Izzy was THE songwriter in the band”, it’s remarkable how on his solo albums there is pretty much zero good songs. Sure he hasn’t released anything for years, but still one could expect there to be at least ONE decent song. One. But nah.
windycitycane
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by windycitycane »

Agreed
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

endstand wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:23 am

Yep.

And have to add, as much there is this mystique about how ”Izzy was THE songwriter in the band”, it’s remarkable how on his solo albums there is pretty much zero good songs. Sure he hasn’t released anything for years, but still one could expect there to be at least ONE decent song. One. But nah.
They all needed each other. They wrote their best stuff while they all lived in the Hellhouse, constantly exchanging and refining ideas. Even a lot of the best UYI songs go back to their early years.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

What's with all the horrible takes on here lately? First "Hot For Teacher" sucks, and now Slash is a terrible songwriter? Just plain stupidity if you ask me.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

dmbrocker wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:02 pm What's with all the horrible takes on here lately? First "Hot For Teacher" sucks, and now Slash is a terrible songwriter? Just plain stupidity if you ask me.
Senility... and possibly frontal lobe dementia for a couple posters.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Spot on.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
JizzySynatra

Post by JizzySynatra »

Might be one of the worst covers I've ever heard by a legit band, let alone a "supergroup". Totally forgot they did Runaround too. Horrible
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:44 am The Slash album with the guest singers is excellent!
Stellar release. Still spin it regularly...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
alexleehooker
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by alexleehooker »

SchenkerFan wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:36 pm
endstand wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:23 am

Yep.

They all needed each other. They wrote their best stuff while they all lived in the Hellhouse, constantly exchanging and refining ideas. Even a lot of the best UYI songs go back to their early years.
There’s more to it than that even. Some of the best stuff was from ideas by collaborators and former bands. People like west arkeen and Chris Weber. Izzy can put chord progressions together check out ‘117 degrees’ and ‘like a dog’ albums if you haven’t already.
Sweet child o mine is lifted almost wholesale from an Aussie band, I forget who, a song titled something like ‘unamed critics’ guns just changed the lyrics and slash noodled that riff over it.
Guns were managed by the guy that looked after Great White who had found success by covering Aussie bands and I guess nudged GnR towards that too (ie ‘nice boys don’t play rock n roll’ on the first EP).
Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

SchenkerFan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:47 am Pretty much all of his solo albums are by the numbers hard rock.

He considers the first Snakepit a pretty good album. But he couldn't tell that he had come up with something great when he played the Sweet Child O Mine riff, he needed other people to tell him that.

People want new GNR tunes, do they honestly believe it would be better than the 20 year old recycled Axl turds they've put out? :lol:
What a dumbass comment. You clearly don't know shit.

Have you heard any of the records he's put out since the first solo Slash album in 2010? The s*** is amazing. He has long outgrown anyone else related with GNR musically. He's not a man who rests on his laurels, which he totally could. But he ups his guitar game with every release and the songs are great. All I can think is how GNR has missed out on this genius the guy has been consistently producing.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

daveg wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:01 am
Kinda think DLR was the same in VH. He took good songs, and added his melodies to them to make them great.
Both DLR and Hagar are on record saying Ed didn't write complete, let alone good, songs, they took riffs and other bits and pieces and frankensteined together songs to fit their vocal melodies and lyrics.