Guns N' Roses "The General" and "Monsters"...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Re: Guns N' Roses "The General" and "Monsters"...

Post by FreddyFender »

It should also be noted that GNR hasn't made high-energy kick-ass rock n roll since the day they fired Steven Adler.

The band was doing plenty of the plodding, dramatic, over-wrought shit all through UYI. "You Could Be Mine", the most AFD-sounding song on UYI, was a holdover from years earlier.

We all know Steven can't handle the gig, but without him behind the kit, anything new is going to be the same plodding, midtempo shit from these guys.
alexleehooker
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by alexleehooker »

True. From its so easy to rocket Queen his playing had personality
endstand
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by endstand »

alexleehooker wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:56 pm
Zabooka wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:12 am
SterileEyes1 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:49 amMeanwhile, I continue to not at all understand what people are expecting when it comes to new or ‘new’ material from these guys. Axl and Duff are almost certainly worth the higher end of nine figures, they’re 60 years old, there is no money to be made or appreciation to be had from new material, if they make Appetite-sounding stuff they’re trying too hard, and if they make anything else they’re failing to live up to their past. I’m amazed they even bother.
Most bands where the guys are in their later years aren’t going to be putting out their best stuff, and reasonable fans understand that.

It’s the fact that Axl/Slash/Duff have not written anything new together since 1991, and they’ve been back for 7 years now. All they can do is tweak ChiDem crap from 20 years ago? They wrote AFD, they can’t come up with new stuff that’s at least some what decent? If they made 2 songs a year since the reunion, they’d have 14 tracks by now.

There are tons of older bands still putting stuff out. Again, most likely not as good, but there’s usually a few good tracks.

It’s like GNR has dementia and have forgotten how to start a new song from scratch.

without Izzy, West Arkeen, or re-heating anything leftover from their Hollywood Rose co-writers COULD THOSE THREE EVER write a song from scratch? Their solo outputs since the mid 90s suggest not so much, got be honest.
Well, on Slash’s albums there surely are tons of uptempo riff-heavy hard rock songs. So I think they could come up with at least something ”classic rock” -esque kinda stuff.

But I also get the fact that it is Axl’s band, so actually doing somebody elses songs might not be an option.
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Contraband was some kind of miracle it had some memorable songs. Even that was almost 20 years ago now.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

endstand wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:01 am
alexleehooker wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:56 pm
Zabooka wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:12 am

Most bands where the guys are in their later years aren’t going to be putting out their best stuff, and reasonable fans understand that.

It’s the fact that Axl/Slash/Duff have not written anything new together since 1991, and they’ve been back for 7 years now. All they can do is tweak ChiDem crap from 20 years ago? They wrote AFD, they can’t come up with new stuff that’s at least some what decent? If they made 2 songs a year since the reunion, they’d have 14 tracks by now.

There are tons of older bands still putting stuff out. Again, most likely not as good, but there’s usually a few good tracks.

It’s like GNR has dementia and have forgotten how to start a new song from scratch.

without Izzy, West Arkeen, or re-heating anything leftover from their Hollywood Rose co-writers COULD THOSE THREE EVER write a song from scratch? Their solo outputs since the mid 90s suggest not so much, got be honest.
Well, on Slash’s albums there surely are tons of uptempo riff-heavy hard rock songs. So I think they could come up with at least something ”classic rock” -esque kinda stuff.

But I also get the fact that it is Axl’s band, so actually doing somebody elses songs might not be an option.

Yeah, these two new reworked songs aren’t memorable at all. And i does seem like they could at least put out some halfway decent rocking songs. Supposedly axl and the scabs recorded 2 more albums worth of songs to be parts 2 and 3 of CD, maybe slash and duff will only sign off on adding parts to the worst ones so they can force Axl to start recording new songs from scratch that have them involved from the beginning, and so he doesnt appear to be be the genius he is by cockblocking the best songs from being reworked and everyone realize how much Axl had to do with their best output

I do like ‘perhaps’ and ‘hard skool’ a lot, and love CD
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Ryan81 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:21 pm He sounded so good with AC/DC too. I wonder if he messed his voice up permanently during that gig?
That's actually a good point. I wonder if it's just finally burnt from over touring/age, or if that AC/DC tour was the straw that broke the camel's back.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Anthrax442 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:23 am
Ryan81 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:21 pm He sounded so good with AC/DC too. I wonder if he messed his voice up permanently during that gig?
That's actually a good point. I wonder if it's just finally burnt from over touring/age, or if that AC/DC tour was the straw that broke the camel's back.

He’s had many great shows since then, and even in 2016 the AC/DC sets were more solid for him than the GN’R sets. He’s pretty consistently solid in his high range and low range. The middle of his range is where you get the Mickey falsetto going, and there’s not much of that in the AC/DC set. I think he’s just almost 62 and paces himself to get through 3 hour shows 3x per week.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Newsted's FU Money
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Newsted's FU Money »

Axl never rehearses with GNR, so there's that.

With AC/DC he actually applied himself. The delusional basket case still knew Angus was the boss there.
JackieDaytona
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by JackieDaytona »

When Axl broke his foot years ago and was sitting in Dave Grohl's throne and not moving on stage, he did sound really good. But once he starts moving around, it seems like he runs out of breath, and then he sounds like a dying cat.
Lover, fighter, songbird, regular human bartender, friend.