Def Leppard's "Women" on the radio...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

War_in_D
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Def Leppard's "Women" on the radio...

Post by War_in_D »

Why isn't this a thing? Anyone ever hear it on their local rock and pop radio stations in the past 20 years, if ever?

I realize it wasn't a chart topper back in the day, but it was a legitimate radio. Radio everywhere seems to love and play the other six Hysteria singles to death, even that awful Rocket.

Why not give Women the occasional spin?
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Re: Def Leppard's "Women" on the radio...

Post by dmbrocker »

I'll bet Hair Nation will play it if you ask nicely.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
HottKarl777
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by HottKarl777 »

This thread made me go listen to it again. What a great atmospheric song. Probably my 2nd favorite off this album after Gods of War.
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DangerZone »

War_in_D wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:42 pm Why isn't this a thing? Anyone ever hear it on their local rock and pop radio stations in the past 20 years, if ever?

I realize it wasn't a chart topper back in the day, but it was a legitimate radio. Radio everywhere seems to love and play the other six Hysteria singles to death, even that awful Rocket.

Why not give Women the occasional spin?
Never understood how ‘rocket’ made it to radio
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

""Women" didn't do much in Canada. Whether in Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa, "Animal" and "Pour Some Sugar On Me" got - and, still get - tons of airplay, but you rarely heard "Women" within a few weeks of being released as a single.
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

like the song.
surely hair nation plays it.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Umm, Women almost killed that album right off the bat. Animal was an OK first single, but Women was not really played because it is not a very good song. Not sure it even charted, and the album at that point was dead.

It is played as much now as it was then....and that is not very often. I do hear it occasionally on our local classic station, and I like it cause it is refreshing to hear somthing other than the big hits.

Would have been an OK album cut, but as the second single, it was a terrible choice.
Hair I Go Again
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Hair I Go Again »

I was about to post that "Animal" was actually the second single, but you learn something new every day... from Wiki:

"Women" is a song released by English rock band Def Leppard in 1987 from the album Hysteria. It was the second overall but first single of the album released in the United States.[1] The song was also released as a single in Canada, Australia, Japan, and was part of a double-A side single with "Animal" in Germany. In most other parts of the world, "Animal" was the first single released from the album.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

HottKarl777 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:54 pm This thread made me go listen to it again. What a great atmospheric song. Probably my 2nd favorite off this album after Gods of War.
Atmospheric is the right word. I love both of those songs too. They really define the record. Back in '88, driving around in my Camero, I would crank those 2 songs up. Women was the first song on side one. Then I'd flip the tape over, hit rewind and Gods of War was the first song on side 2.

As for why radio never plays it... The kiss of death for FM radio is "dead space". That atmospheric feel just doesn't work as well as their bigger hits. If the DJ is only going to play one DL song it's probably not going to be Women.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Hair I Go Again wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:32 am I was about to post that "Animal" was actually the second single, but you learn something new every day... from Wiki:

"Women" is a song released by English rock band Def Leppard in 1987 from the album Hysteria. It was the second overall but first single of the album released in the United States.[1] The song was also released as a single in Canada, Australia, Japan, and was part of a double-A side single with "Animal" in Germany. In most other parts of the world, "Animal" was the first single released from the album.
Honestly, I had to look it up as well. I could have sworn Women was the first single....In Canada at least. But they were released only a month apart, and neither of them really hit big (Especially Women). So could have just been they were playing both at the same time.
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

CrankerBait wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:51 am ""Women" didn't do much in Canada. Whether in Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa, "Animal" and "Pour Some Sugar On Me" got - and, still get - tons of airplay, but you rarely heard "Women" within a few weeks of being released as a single.
I remember the MuchMusic VJ going on about how great the upcoming DL album was going to be and then premiering this as the lead single. First reaction was that this is crap. Little did I know how much worse the followup singles would be..
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I was living overseas when Hysteria was released and exposed to both the American and British charts. While "Sugar" was a single in the States, "Armageddon It" was the single in the U.K., which is why they both basically had the same video.

Looking back, I don't think the record company bothered with "Women" in Europe and went with "Animal" first, which is why that region was always "one ahead" with singles compared to the U.S.

Either way, I never heard "Women" on the radio in a top-40/current hit context. It was a cool, but "just okay" song that set the album up for bigger hits to come. Van Halen sort of took the same approach a year later, releasing "Black and Blue" as a low-key first single for OU812.

Last edited by Mister Freeze on Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Women is a fantastic fucking song. And yes, they do play it a bit too much on Hair Nation, but honestly, I'm okay with that because it didn't get played to death in the 80s.

No idea why it wasn't a successful lead single, but I never want to hear Animal again.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Terrible album, vapid tune...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:32 am . Van Halen sort of took the same approach a year later, releasing "Black and Blue" as a low-key first single for OU812.

Wow, I had to look that up.
Had no Idea that was even a single, much less the first one.

Isn't the purpose of a lead off single to be the opposite of "low key"??
Wednesday 13 Fan

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

I was about to say something wise, like maybe they got to many complaints, but if everyone else likes that dog shit album, they'll love Women.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

daveg wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:59 am
Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:32 am . Van Halen sort of took the same approach a year later, releasing "Black and Blue" as a low-key first single for OU812.

Wow, I had to look that up.
Had no Idea that was even a single, much less the first one.

Isn't the purpose of a lead off single to be the opposite of "low key"??

I think the idea was to give rock radio a small taste of what's to come (kind of like "Women" for Def Leppard). There wasn't even a video for it, although Van Halen has an interesting history of not always making videos for singles.

"Black and Blue" went to #1 on the rock charts and even snuck into the Top-40 (#34), which kind of surprises me. 1988 was an unstoppable year for metal, though.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

I always thought that releasing "Women" as the first single was a wise move, long term. this, along with "Gods Of War", are the heaviest tracks on the album.

had they released something more radio friendly, I'm not sure I would have been in such a rush to buy the album.
HottKarl777

Post by HottKarl777 »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:54 am Terrible album, vapid tune...

You sir are a silly man (with nice hair)
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

HottKarl777 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:45 pm
GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:54 am Terrible album, vapid tune...

You sir are a silly man (with nice hair)
Woo hoo!!
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
VinceVanLane
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by VinceVanLane »

I was surprised to hear "God Of War" on HairNation today. It seems like they've been playing a few deeper cuts than normal. Last week I heard "Want Some, Need Some" by Poison on Hair Nation too.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

VinceVanLane wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:22 pm I was surprised to hear "God Of War" on HairNation today. It seems like they've been playing a few deeper cuts than normal. Last week I heard "Want Some, Need Some" by Poison on Hair Nation too.
I still remember when Hair Nation went deep enough to play Kik Tracee's "Don't Need Rules", "Bang Go the Bells", "Sleeping My Day Away", Contraband's "All the Way From Memphis", TNT's "As Far As the Eye Can See", etc. They probably still play a few of those, but I haven't bothered to check since I can pretty much listen to those in my own mp3 collection.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
War_in_D
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by War_in_D »

Women definitely was the first single released in North America, and Animal was the first single in Europe.

In North America, Women only made it to #80 on the Hot 100 chart on Billboard. Animal was the next North American single and hit the top 20.
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

I like it as the album opener but doesn’t really work as a lead single- maybe if it was the final single of the album to be released instead.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Not sure what the question is.

Women didn’t make a dent in the chart and didn’t pick up steam over the years like “Don’t Stop Believing” did. Radio doesn’t keep playing singles that flopped for decades and decades after they were released for no reason.