Caress of Steel is a cool album

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Caress of Steel is a cool album

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

At ease, gentlemen
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
exitflagger
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Caress of Steel is a cool album

Post by exitflagger »

Gonna go with my usual assessment of Rush: Caress Of Steel is a VERY GOOD piece of work. Excellent in fact.

But you'd be hard-pressed to find an album of this quality that is also this uncool. Vaginas dry up like the Gobi desert if they come within a 50 foot radius of it.

I love Rush to death (well, the first decade anyway) but they are the antidote for cool. They're like Naloxone for coolness.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

exitflagger wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:45 pm Gonna go with my usual assessment of Rush: Caress Of Steel is a VERY GOOD piece of work. Excellent in fact.

But you'd be hard-pressed to find an album of this quality that is also this uncool. Vaginas dry up like the Gobi desert if they come within a 50 foot radius of it.

I love Rush to death (well, the first decade anyway) but they are the antidote for cool. They're like Naloxone for coolness.
Pretty much everything Rush has ever released is nerd rock for sure, but it's damn good nerd rock. And Caress of Steel is a goddamn nerd rock masterpiece.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Love it.
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

It's an unpopular opinion for women for sure, but I love Rush. Up to and including Moving Pictures.
After that, I hate everything. Signals, Grace Under Pressure...awful! I don't even know what came after that, I never listened again.
Caress of Steel is a fantastic album!
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Metal Sludge wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:17 pm It's an unpopular opinion for women for sure, but I love Rush. Up to and including Moving Pictures.
After that, I hate everything. Signals, Grace Under Pressure...awful! I don't even know what came after that, I never listened again.
I don’t mean to sound like a kiss ass but you have always had the best taste in music
AJL
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by AJL »

I like it too. The two long songs + 'I think I'm going bald' always gets the album a bad rep, but I think the short songs are overrated (Bastille Day is good - not classic. Lakeside Park sucks) and the long ones are great, especially 'The Necromancer' is awesome.
tooth
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by tooth »

Very cool album & an important part of prog rock history. It's unreal that they released Fly by Night, Caress of Steel & 2112 in under 400 days.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

A transitional album. They were still finding their way.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Metal Sludge wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:17 pm It's an unpopular opinion for women for sure, but I love Rush. Up to and including Moving Pictures.
Sort of agree. But…Grace Under Pressure was fantastic.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:37 am
I'm a full-on Rush nutswinger who loves all their stuff, even their new wave synth era. Grace Under Pressure rules, IMO.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Agree. Their last great album.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
AJL
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by AJL »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:03 am
Grace Under Pressure and especially Signals are consensus great albums, not sure what some people are rambling on about in this thread. I love Power Windows too, but Hold Your Fire is hard to get too enthusiastic about, and it continues like that basically every album from there on, until Clockwork Angels, which was a great bookend to their discography.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

AJL wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:17 am
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:03 am

Grace Under Pressure and especially Signals are consensus great albums, not sure what some people are rambling on about in this thread. I love Power Windows too, but Hold Your Fire is hard to get too enthusiastic about, and it continues like that basically every album from there on, until Clockwork Angels, which was a great bookend to their discography.
Co-sign. PW still has some cool shit on it. HYF was the beginning of the end for sure.