THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION IS ... Would Wolfgang Van Halen be even remotely popular, if Pops was still alive?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION IS ... Would Wolfgang Van Halen be even remotely popular, if Pops was still alive?

Post by Gibsonite »

HueyRamone wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:41 am
BernieTaupson wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:08 pm Image
Is this a semihollow? Cause he's making it look like a mandolin.

Maybe it's just a reg guitar with a fhole sticker...
It's a Super 400. Not sure about the guitar tho
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION IS ... Would Wolfgang Van Halen be even remotely popular, if Pops was still alive?

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Velvis wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:12 pm
SterileEyes1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:27 pm I think it’d be about the same as it is now. Maybe a bit more even since his dad would no doubt be out there advocating for him.
I agree. He's talented enough to take his Dad's fame and be modestly successful. I don't see how Eddie being alive or dead would make any difference.

If I am not mistaken, Wolfie doesn't play any VH material so I don't understand how that translates into people liking or not liking WVH because EVH is dead or not dead. "Oh Eddies gone, but Wolfie plays all the VH hits! Lets go!" Thats not true so why do these 50+ year old guys go to see WVH? Just because his dads dead? Where is the logic in that?

The CEO for some reason can't deal with Wolfie on any level. And honestly Stevie's always preaching cool things on his instagram about life and what not and he seems like a sincere and genuine guy happy for what he has, but he just comes across as a douche when it comes to WVH.

And this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of WVH or even VH particularly. I've got no horse in the race.

"""""""""""""" honestly Stevie's always preaching cool things on his instagram about life and what not and he seems like a sincere and genuine guy happy for what he has, but he just comes across as a douche when it comes to WVH. """"""""""""""""""

The key to life is balance young one....

If there is no Light, then everything would be Dark.

If there is Only Sweets, then how do we enjoy the Salt?

If there are No Highs, then there would only be Lows.

A roller-coaster doesn't roll in a straight line... what fun would that be. Think about it?

And I live my life the same... along with my outlook on everything around me... I like a balance... mix it up.

I just call it like I see it... and it seems some people don't like honesty, or being out-spoken in some form or fashion.

If you all want to worship at the altar of the spoiled fat kid who plays guitar, have at it... I would rather spend the night in solitary.

Oh yeah... and 1 other thing... I love that it annoys some of you... what's that old saying "Stirring the pot"?

$tEvil :D
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:28 am He bunnyhopped off his father’s death to promote his album. You think Howard Stern would want to talk to Ed’s son if Ed was still around just because he was releasing a solo album? Not a chance in hell.

He went on Stern like a week after Ed died and talked about Ed dying and oh by the way he gave me his guitars and oh by the way I’m playing them on this new album that just coincidentally is coming out soon and the new single drops tomorrow and it’s called Distance and here it is.

BLATANT.

And then a few months later Valerie cashed in on it by writing another book that all the One Day At A Time boomer cat ladies only bought to read about her at her dying ex-husband’s bedside. And she also spilt the tea about Ed and Janie not being together anymore, which is something neither of them had announced.

BLATANT!

""""""""""""""""He bunnyhopped off his father’s death to promote his album. You think Howard Stern would want to talk to Ed’s son if Ed was still around just because he was releasing a solo album? Not a chance in hell. """""""""""""""""

THIS x1M!

FYI: That record was done for many years... and just like Dad, he sat on the recordings, procrastinating. And that was not all him... you can bet your balls, his Dad had much influence on all kinds of decisions, including whether to release or not release that stuff.

His time in Van Halen (touring) ended 12 years before the record came out.

Wikipedia says, the record was recorded between 2013-2018. Almost a decade had passed, since the start of the record, until it was ironically rushed out just 6 months after Pops passed away.

Is that ironic? I don't think so.... if not... why did he sit on it for 5-7 or 10 years?

Not saying it's good or bad, one way or the other but it's def a bit odd, that the record sat for that long, then when Pops dies, everything is flooding the market.

Oh and get this... "Distance" was released roughly a month after Dad died (Oct. 6th 2020), and the song's official release was Nov. 16th 2020.

Does anything think that was a coincidence? The answer is no. It was rushed out, to garner traction with Ed in the press.

$tEvil
Velvis
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Velvis »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:38 am
Velvis wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:12 pm
SterileEyes1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:27 pm I think it’d be about the same as it is now. Maybe a bit more even since his dad would no doubt be out there advocating for him.
I agree. He's talented enough to take his Dad's fame and be modestly successful. I don't see how Eddie being alive or dead would make any difference.

If I am not mistaken, Wolfie doesn't play any VH material so I don't understand how that translates into people liking or not liking WVH because EVH is dead or not dead. "Oh Eddies gone, but Wolfie plays all the VH hits! Lets go!" Thats not true so why do these 50+ year old guys go to see WVH? Just because his dads dead? Where is the logic in that?

The CEO for some reason can't deal with Wolfie on any level. And honestly Stevie's always preaching cool things on his instagram about life and what not and he seems like a sincere and genuine guy happy for what he has, but he just comes across as a douche when it comes to WVH.

And this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of WVH or even VH particularly. I've got no horse in the race.

"""""""""""""" honestly Stevie's always preaching cool things on his instagram about life and what not and he seems like a sincere and genuine guy happy for what he has, but he just comes across as a douche when it comes to WVH. """"""""""""""""""

The key to life is balance young one....

If there is no Light, then everything would be Dark.

If there is Only Sweets, then how do we enjoy the Salt?

If there are No Highs, then there would only be Lows.

A roller-coaster doesn't roll in a straight line... what fun would that be. Think about it?

And I live my life the same... along with my outlook on everything around me... I like a balance... mix it up.

I just call it like I see it... and it seems some people don't like honesty, or being out-spoken in some form or fashion.

If you all want to worship at the altar of the spoiled fat kid who plays guitar, have at it... I would rather spend the night in solitary.

Oh yeah... and 1 other thing... I love that it annoys some of you... what's that old saying "Stirring the pot"?

$tEvil :D
Again, short of watching WHVs first video where he played every instrument, I have had zero exposure to WVH, so I am not worshiping him whatsoever. I'm not even a fan of EVH or VH.

And it's not about honesty or being outspoken. It's your opinion, not facts (so it's not based on honesty) and it comes off weird when you endlessly bash on him because he's fat and who his dad was.

As far as stirring the pot, there should be something in the pot. The topic of this thread doesn't even make any logical sense.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Yeah the way this is worded it's like he needed his Pop to die before he made his own music... I'm sure Eddie would've pulled whatever strings were necessary to move his career along. Like people have said, he's not playing any old VH in his shows, which would be something that you could point to as blatantly trading on his father's death. As it stands, he's a medium talent who's only famous because of who his father is, and that wouldn't change if Eddie was still alive.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:27 pm Yeah the way this is worded it's like he needed his Pop to die before he made his own music... I'm sure Eddie would've pulled whatever strings were necessary to move his career along. Like people have said, he's not playing any old VH in his shows, which would be something that you could point to as blatantly trading on his father's death. As it stands, he's a medium talent who's only famous because of who his father is, and that wouldn't change if Eddie was still alive.

"""""""""""""""""" As it stands, he's a medium talent who's only famous because of who his father is,"""""""""""""""""""

Excellent assessment!

$tEvil
Velvis

Post by Velvis »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:05 am
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:27 pm Yeah the way this is worded it's like he needed his Pop to die before he made his own music... I'm sure Eddie would've pulled whatever strings were necessary to move his career along. Like people have said, he's not playing any old VH in his shows, which would be something that you could point to as blatantly trading on his father's death. As it stands, he's a medium talent who's only famous because of who his father is, and that wouldn't change if Eddie was still alive.

"""""""""""""""""" As it stands, he's a medium talent who's only famous because of who his father is,"""""""""""""""""""

Excellent assessment!

$tEvil
And I don't disagree with it.

But I still don't understand how EVH being dead for 2 or so years is somehow related to WVH's popularity now. No one is going to Mammoth shows because Ed is dead and they want to hear Wolfie not play VH songs.
john3232
Headlining Clubs

Post by john3232 »

THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION IS ... Would Wolfgang Van Halen be even remotely popular, if Pops was still alive?

No. Wolfgang is an excellent musician, but outside of a few tunes his music is nothing special. It's the VH name which gets the attention and I suspect the clock is ticking on that.
"Chinese Democracy is one of the most anticipated albums OF ALL TIME"
Brownstone658
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Bobby Blotzer wrote: This is the kind of shit the bozo over at metal sludge does
SW

Post by SW »

john3232 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:49 pm THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION IS ... Would Wolfgang Van Halen be even remotely popular, if Pops was still alive?

No. Wolfgang is an excellent musician, but outside of a few tunes his music is nothing special. It's the VH name which gets the attention and I suspect the clock is ticking on that.
Another one who doesn't get the question, actually I think Stevie stumbles with his logic too on this one.

Like some has said what does WVH gain for his dad being dead instead of being alive?
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Same thing Julian Lennon had in the mid 80s when he released his first couple of albums - the father is dead so you get the next best thing.
Bobby Blotzer wrote: This is the kind of shit the bozo over at metal sludge does
SW

Post by SW »

Can't wait to run to a record store when Paul Stanley croaks to get myself Amber Wild's latest release.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

:lol:

"I'm just here for the irony and the dancing."
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

BernieTaupson wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:18 am Same thing Julian Lennon had in the mid 80s when he released his first couple of albums - the father is dead so you get the next best thing.
Yeah but “Valotte” and “Too Late For Goodbyes” are good, and Wolfie is no Hey Jude Lennon, pal!
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:51 pm
Love_Industry wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:47 pm He would then be the bassist in a Diamond selling band touring arenas regularly and maybe releasing one more studio album. It's not like Ed didn't have more demos to pilfer.

So yes, as that would give his solo career a push. Maybe pops and Uncle Dave would guest on his album and tell him that he can do better than second rate 90s rock?

""""""""""""""Uncle Dave would guest on his album """""""""""""""

Dave wouldn't give him a ride to the Arcade or In N' Out Burger.

It's clear Roth thinks the kid is a pile up, as he hasn't said word 1 about him since Ed bought the farm.

Unless I missed it...?

Dave isn't doing any favors for anyone, outside of himself... and def not Pork Rind!

Wolfgang is 100% the antithesis of everything Roth stands for.

$tEvil

These days Roth makes a Richard Simmons exercise class look like Boyz N The Hood.

Roth couldn’t stop giving Wolf a reach around in 2007. Wolf was the only reason Dave ever got his washed up, gheying old ass back in the band. That and Wolfe’s dad’s resentfulness, bitterness and pettiness towards MA.

Did Dave ever do anyone any favors outside of himself?
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Yeah he gave Ed, Al and Mike a lifetime career.

His solo band members all speak highly of him too.
Metal Heart
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Metal Heart »

He isn't popular now. Wolfie definitely got a sympathy / curiosity bump with his first record. His second album didn't get the hype his first one got from MSM.
"Life sucks, but in a beautiful kind of way." - Axl Rose
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Couldn’t care less.
mrspeedgene
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrspeedgene »

The real question is would he be popular if his name was John Doe? Absolutely not. Dead or not the V name is his money bag.
They laughed at their gods
And fought them in vain
So he turned his
back on them
And left them in pain
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

BernieTaupson wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:48 pm Yeah he gave Ed, Al and Mike a lifetime career.

:lol: That’s funny

Dave was the weak link. As much as I dislike Ed, he gave all those guys their career.

Van Hagar outsold Roth solo by 5 million in 1986. In 1988, they outsold Dave by 3 million. In 1991, they outsold him by 2.5 million. By 1995, they outsold him again by 3 million. Dave didn’t even go gold in the mid 90s.

The band still outsold Dave with Gary Cherone in the band in the late 90s.

Allegedly Billy had an acrimonious relationship with Eric Martin But he still went back and worked with that guy. He never has worked with Dave again.

Of course guys like James LoMenzo are going to be complimentary. Guys like James are side men who don’t want to burn bridges
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

The best Van Halen is his mom
I’m definitely jealous he has personal chef make him homemade Twinkies ready for him when he wakes up in the afternoon. After hard night being dumbass gamer

Wolfie does have Fatburger super power. I’m now going when they open. Fatburger XXL starts my day!
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:22 am
BernieTaupson wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:48 pm Yeah he gave Ed, Al and Mike a lifetime career.

Dave was the weak link. As much as I dislike Ed, he gave all those guys their career.
Nah. You don’t know your history.

Without Roth there is no band. Ed and Al were music class nerds. Ed would stare at the ground and play Cream albums perfectly start to finish. That’s great musically but it ain’t a band. It ain’t a show. The audience would get sick of it after the third song.

Dave joined and told them they had to do stuff that women could dance to.

Roth picked the setlists and made sure what they were doing was commercial.

Roth taught Ed how to be a guitar hero.

Dave came up with the show and the costumes and the idea of Mike’s “drunk” solo and the whiskey schtick.

He named the band and came up with the personality of the whole thing.

Take Dave out of the picture and Van Halen wouldn’t have made it.

Maybe Ed would have been a Neal Schon type prodigy guy who was spotted and got a gig with another band.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

BernieTaupson wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:11 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:22 am

Nah. You don’t know your history.

Without Roth there is no band. Ed and Al were music class nerds. Ed would stare at the ground and play Cream albums perfectly start to finish. That’s great musically but it ain’t a band. It ain’t a show. The audience would get sick of it after the third song.

Dave joined and told them they had to do stuff that women could dance to.

Roth picked the setlists and made sure what they were doing was commercial.

Roth taught Ed how to be a guitar hero.

Dave came up with the show and the costumes and the idea of Mike’s “drunk” solo and the whiskey schtick.

He named the band and came up with the personality of the whole thing.

Take Dave out of the picture and Van Halen wouldn’t have made it.

Maybe Ed would have been a Neal Schon type prodigy guy who was spotted and got a gig with another band.

Neal Schon, you mean the guy that played Woodstock with Santana when he still had his driver’s permit and went on to form Journey with Gre Rolie and Herbie Herbert. Neal Schon, the guy who has been in the music industry longer than Ed and has had countless musical lives? Neal’s a f*cking legend and one of the best and most underrated guitarists of all time. The guy’s band has sold close to 150 million albums world wide. The guys You mean that guy?

Speaking of Neal, you can also say Steve Perry made him but without Journey, Perry is still a farm hand on his parents chicken ranch.

Not taking away from Dave, just being honest about people who were there and what they have said about Dave. Back in the early days, reaction to Dave was very mixed. There were a lot of Jim Dandy comparisons and critiques of his less than amazing live vocals. Ironically, without Ed, you don’t have WB or Ted Templeman. Ted has admitted that publicly.

The sales difference between Van Halen without Dave and Dave as a solo artist are staggering. They outsold him by three to one and more.

As far as Dave teaching Ed how to be a “guitar hero” that is laughable, and that is certainly not what Ed’s friends and associates who were there in the early days have said.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Ok.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Let's not forget the 1st reason they joined up with Dave - they needed a PA.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.