Was I An A$$hole For Not Giving Wolfgang A Chance?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Was I An A$$hole For Not Giving Wolfgang A Chance?

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

I remember seeing this guy on the Van Halen promos and not being overly impressed. But as a grown ass adult, looking back over 15 years ago he wasn't that bad.

I viewed him as a copy of Meatloaf (only younger), the large Wilson Phillips chick and Tad. But he was a good player even if he couldn't see his own dong when he pissed and def not quite the songwriter his Pops was in Van Halen.

Who here loves him and who here hates him?

Should he have been the next big thing? (No pun intended)

Discuss...

$tEvil
Last edited by MetalSludgeCEO on Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nate S Axel
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Was I An A$$hole For Not Giving Wolfgang A Chance?

Post by Nate S Axel »

His music, or...?

I think you'd swipe right if he came up on your Tinder app... or Grindr. :D
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:51 pm I remember seeing this guy on the Van Halen promos and not being overly impressed. But as a grown ass adult, looking back over 15 years ago he wasn't that bad.

I viewed him as a copy of Meatloaf (only younger), the large Wilson Phillips chick and Tad. But he was a good player even if he couldn't see his own dong when he pissed and def not quite the songwriter his Pops was in Van Halen.

Who here loves him and who here hates him?

Should he have been the next big thing? (No pun intended)

Discuss...

$tEvil

:lol: That’s funny. The Tad comparison is comedy mastermind.

I’m not sure why you dislike Wolfgang so much. Whether it’s because of his dad or because of his weight.

I don’t always understand your psychology. You hate Sebastian Bach but seem to love and praise Axl Rose on here. Aren’t they two sides of the same high maintenance lead singer coin? I seem to remember you throwing DLR under the bus more than you ever have Axl.
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

Well that's a good question.

He's extremely unlikeable. He should just be grateful for his opportunities, and he should have known and accepted that he was gonna get a rash of shit, and ignored it. But it seems he just can't! He has to answer every criticism... let it go dude!

Also, when you're 300 lbs, maybe calling your band Mammoth isn't the best idea?
It doesn't seem like it was in reference to his weight and a joke, or irony, or whatever. Just a bad idea. Something to make the criticism worse.

However...
He is a good musician. Very good actually.
And the truth is, I like his songs more than I wanted to.
I saw him open for GNR, and I often hear his songs on the radio in my car.
He's pretty good!

I definitely wanted to hate him, but I really don't...anymore.

Maybe we're all assholes, you, me, and Wolfie!
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

He is garbage
He eats garbage
Day 1 garbage

He makes eating at Fatburger fun- probably do this before Roxy Blue show
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

I’m indifferent about him.

I do think your obsession with him is a bit odd.
Stinky McFister
Recording Debut Album

Post by Stinky McFister »

I heard one of his songs a couple years back and I thought it was pretty catchy and quite good. Sounding like Foo Fighters caliber.

I don't quite understand why he gets so much hate on these boards.

Is it just because of his size?
Do folks think he got a free pass b/c of his his Dad?

I've seen him interviewed a couple times and he seemed pretty down to earth and humble especially for his Dad being the greatest thing to ever happen to the electric guitar. Oh, and his Mom being a famous Hollywood actress.

Maybe I missed posts or the story about how what the guy did that he got him nearly as despised as the guy who shot Dimebag
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

I wonder if he prefers Mountain Dew Blue Blast or Gatorade
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
skinni

Post by skinni »

His musical talent is undeniable. Both studio and live versions showcase impressive skill and creativity. Looking forward to hearing more.

On the opposite end of the spectrum residing outside of the musical domain, the nature of his infantile online rants raises concerns about possible narcissistic traits, especially the need for excessive admiration and a sensitivity to criticism. In particular, I am referring to his frequent engagements in heated online exchanges with his critics, wherein he employs aggressive language and grand pronouncements that seem driven by a need to constantly bolster an image of grandeur, which appears to stem from a deep insecurity.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Metal Sludge wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:34 pm Well that's a good question.

He's extremely unlikeable. He should just be grateful for his opportunities, and he should have known and accepted that he was gonna get a rash of shit, and ignored it. But it seems he just can't! He has to answer every criticism... let it go dude!

It doesn't seem like it was in reference to his weight and a joke, or irony, or whatever. Just a bad idea. Something to make the criticism worse.

However...
He's pretty good!

""""""""""""""""He's extremely unlikeable.""""""""""""""""""

Spot on.

"""""""""""""""when you're 300 lbs,"""""""""""""""""""""

Did you mean 350, or 400?

Clearly 300 is being VERY favorable... just saying.

$tEvil
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:50 pm

However...
He's pretty good!

Spot on.

$tEvil
300, 350, 400...what's the difference?
The rest of my post is still true.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

what is it that makes him unlikeable? people would make up shit on twitter and he called them out on it.
he sounds like he should be posting on sludge.
he doesn't depend on his dad's catalogue and he doesn't advertise himself as van halen. he should be commended for this not ridiculed.

he's a great musician. his songs are ok. nothing really memorable.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:50 pm I’m indifferent about him.

Same.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

However...
He's pretty good!

Spot on.

$tEvil

His dad seemed extremely unlikeable too and we all worshipped the ground he walked on.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

I know it’s not popular here but I like him just fine.

If you’re holding your own in Van Halen at 15/16 when at least half the fanbase is rooting against you and it’s not like you get to put your foot down and say “No, Dad, it’s Mikey or bust” and people hate you for it and you’re probably not allowed to talk to the press the whole time, I dunno I kinda get why he has a chip on his shoulder. I think most of it is funny. I’ve got plenty of no-talent nepo babies to be annoyed with instead.

I don’t love his music. It’s fine but doesn’t grab me. It’s a little too Howard Benson-produced Hoobastank early 2000s radio rock for me. Not that I’m anywhere in the same universe, but I didn’t show anyone my music (recorded solo) until my 30s, I know how nerve-wracking it was even knowing hardly anyone would hear it, and this is Eddie Freaking Van Halen’s kid putting himself out there with his solo recorded stuff knowing a lot of people are gonna hear it and inevitably compare him to the GOAT. No pressure!

So, I root for him, even if I don’t love his music.

CEO is gonna have a stroke responding to this if he decides to :lol:
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Velvis
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Velvis »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:27 pm
VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:50 pm I’m indifferent about him.

Same.
Same.

I also feel if Stevie had some sort of connection to WVH, he would be singing his praises.

It's fine Stevie doesn't like him.
It's fine Stevie doesn't like his music.
It's fine Stevie goofs on his weight.
It's fine Stevie thinks the only thing he has going for himself is his Dad was EVH.

He's not the first nepo-kid. There are many nepo-kids with far less talent. And as someone pointed out above, he doesn't play VH music.

Obviously, his Dad's name opened the doors but ultimately, he is going to make it or not on his own merit. People aren't going to buy his music or go to his shows if they don't like what he is selling regardless of who his Dad was.

But it's like an obsession with Stevie hating him. Based on Stevie's posts on his own kids, I have no doubt if Stevie was in the same position as EVH was, he would love to be able to open doors for his kids and have no problem doing it.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:48 pm I know it’s not popular here but I like him just fine.

If you’re holding your own in Van Halen at 15/16 when at least half the fanbase is rooting against you and it’s not like you get to put your foot down and say “No, Dad, it’s Mikey or bust” and people hate you for it and you’re probably not allowed to talk to the press the whole time, I dunno I kinda get why he has a chip on his shoulder. I think most of it is funny. I’ve got plenty of no-talent nepo babies to be annoyed with instead.

I don’t love his music. It’s fine but doesn’t grab me. It’s a little too Howard Benson-produced Hoobastank early 2000s radio rock for me. Not that I’m anywhere in the same universe, but I didn’t show anyone my music (recorded solo) until my 30s, I know how nerve-wracking it was even knowing hardly anyone would hear it, and this is Eddie Freaking Van Halen’s kid putting himself out there with his solo recorded stuff knowing a lot of people are gonna hear it and inevitably compare him to the GOAT. No pressure!

So, I root for him, even if I don’t love his music.

CEO is gonna have a stroke responding to this if he decides to :lol:

Agree 100%. Your description of his music is perfect. But I don’t get the hate for the kid by the internuts. I think it’s funny as hell that he roasts his critics on social media. The irony of Stevie hating him for it is not lost on many of us.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:32 pm
His dad seemed extremely unlikeable too and we all worshipped the ground he walked on.
The worship started in the 70s and 80s, when all we saw was the smiling guy on stage and in the videos. VH was a fun party band and the guys all seemed to have a good time. Ed didn't appear unlikeable until he got married 😀

(Wasn't it around the same time, 81-82, that Dave went from being the frontman of VH to the Diamond Dave character?)
Kerry67

Post by Kerry67 »

I don't like the fact that HE is pretty much in charge of the VH legacy. He wasn't there for ANY of the heyday. To me, Alex, Roth & Michael Anthony should be the one's everyone should be concerned with and questioning about anything VH. Wolf having final say is a load of crap.

And I say he is over 375
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Kerry67 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:07 am I don't like the fact that HE is pretty much in charge of the VH legacy. He wasn't there for ANY of the heyday.
Sure he was!

Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Kerry67 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:07 am I don't like the fact that HE is pretty much in charge of the VH legacy. He wasn't there for ANY of the heyday. To me, Alex, Roth & Michael Anthony should be the one's everyone should be concerned with and questioning about anything VH. Wolf having final say is a load of crap.
Without Wolf we would never get the reunion w/Roth, deep album cuts in the setlists, and a new studio album.
Wolf seems to be the only VH member who cares about the band's past.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

BernieTaupson wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:19 am
Kerry67 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:07 am I don't like the fact that HE is pretty much in charge of the VH legacy. He wasn't there for ANY of the heyday.
Sure he was!

This is fucking creepy.

Eddie was clearly a victim of statutory rape, having his kindergarten teacher have her way with him or something.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Kerry67

Post by Kerry67 »

Love_Industry wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:26 am
Kerry67 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:07 am I don't like the fact that HE is pretty much in charge of the VH legacy. He wasn't there for ANY of the heyday. To me, Alex, Roth & Michael Anthony should be the one's everyone should be concerned with and questioning about anything VH. Wolf having final say is a load of crap.
Without Wolf we would never get the reunion w/Roth, deep album cuts in the setlists, and a new studio album.
They were jamming with Roth when Mike was still in the band before that awful reunion with Hagar. It would have happened.....
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:32 pm what is it that makes him unlikeable? people would make up shit on twitter and he called them out on it.
he sounds like he should be posting on sludge.
he doesn't depend on his dad's catalogue and he doesn't advertise himself as van halen. he should be commended for this not ridiculed.

he's a great musician. his songs are ok. nothing really memorable.
For real? Waffle XXLVH would have zero musical career if he was an "average Joe". Yes he's a competent musician, but he hasn't earned any of his success, he's a dirty looking fat guy with bitch tits, and he seems socially awkward.
Even if Waffle had "paid his dues", this is not a "talent/personality/image" that a record company, manager, etc. would look at once, never mind twice.
In the real world Waffle would be working at Guitar Center, have a girlfriend that looks like him, and would be playing Foo Fighters and 3 Doors Down covers with his band at the local Wing joint.
And I actually think it's weird that people on these boards give him a free pass?, his whole existence is the equivalent of a "participation trophy".
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

I went to college with Andrew Hagar. We didn’t know each other, but he lived in the dorm hall across from mine (LMU in L.A.) I recall free Cabo Wabo tequila being available on more than one occasion.

Anyway, he put out an album a couple of years ago. I bet you didn’t know that in spite of how famous his father is. You know why? Because in all likelihood it lacked merit.

Now, I’m not saying having Sammy Hagar for a father is quite like having EVH for a father, but it’s not entirely unlike it either. You have a kid with unlimited financial resources (realistically Sammy’s got waaaaayyy more money than Eddie and Valerie combined ever did), and a famous father with connections. Didn’t mean a damn thing.

Another example = Sting’s son. He had a band, Fiction Plane, I remember they were the first band on at Dodger Stadium before the Foo Fighters at the Police reunion show in 2007. He absolutely didn’t deserve to be there, it was only because of who his dad was…but the crucial next point…he was then never heard from again, despite getting the “My Dad” advantage.

Yet another example = Elijah Blue aka Cher/Gregg Allman’s son. I was a teenager frequenting the Sunset Strip during the nu metal years. His band, Deadsy, was force-fed to us like dog food for a year or two. He obviously had massive amounts of Cher money buying his way onto bills and constantly papering the neighborhood. Jonathan Davis dueted on their first single. Every fathomable nepo advantage was given to him. They vanished like a fart in the wind, because they pretty much sucked and the talent was just not there.

Whether his music is my bag or not, Wolf is talented, and granted he’s only co-headlining clubs after two albums, but he wouldn’t even be an opening act at a brewery at this point, despite his famous parents, if not for the fact that he’s *exceptionally* talented.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Kerry67 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:47 am
They were jamming with Roth when Mike was still in the band before that awful reunion with Hagar. It would have happened.....
Yep. Dave realized that Ed was a mess and a your would've been a disaster. Spazzy, however, never met a dollar he didn't like.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

I thought Deadsy was really food, fwiw.

Anyway, like a lot people I was like "lol what a joke" when it was announced he was taking over for Mike in VH. Partially out of loyalty for Mike, partially thinking it would def be a trainwreck. It wasn't.

I didn't follow them at the time but there's a clip of them playing I'm The One that I still turn to as one of the tightest things I've ever heard:

https://youtu.be/OuR_uRtvKz4?si=OId--bletOETKGcB

The whole performance is killer but the rhythm section during the solos (particularly 1:30 on) is unfathomably tight. That's some DNA-level shit IMO. And his background vocals are rock solid.

Also, his bass work on that last album is super tasty, after listening to that album I gained a lot of respect for him.

His solo band is not my thing, and the amount of exposure they're getting seems silly, but it demonstrates an extreme amount of talent IMO.

Imagine if nobody knew much about him, and then he had shown up at the Taylor Hawkins show and crushed VH on guitar like he did. People would've shat themselves even harder than they did.

I think he would be much better suited to being a core part of a project involving someone who's a real songwriter, rather than the droning/string a bunch of cool, interesting sounding things together that ends up being completely forgettable thing hes' been doing. The obvious thing being "omg side project with Dave Grohl".

His weight is kind of whatever to me. I hope he has his big transformation at some point.

His social media stuff is equal parts "fuck yeah, he's telling people off" and maximum cringe.

All that being said, I suspect he's actually pretty cool in person and would come across like that super bright, enthusiastic kid who has a sheltered/spoiled streak to him. As cringey as he is, he could've easily ended up an entirely worthless, cocky and arrogant rich celebrity kid.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

The new album was fucking dogshit.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Metal Sludge wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:28 pm

However...
He's pretty good!

Spot on.

$tEvil
300, 350, 400...what's the difference?
The rest of my post is still true.

"""""""""""""""300, 350, 400...what's the difference?"""""""""""""""

Good point...

I have $300 in cash, I am going to swing by, and want to trade you for your $400 in cash.

I'll be over tonight... large bills is fine.

$tEvil :D