Bands you thought were huge, but actually broke?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Re: Bands you thought were huge, but actually broke?

Post by Ryan81 »

I'd have to imagine many of the richest rock stars get a lot of their money through good investments in real estate or some other non-musical ventures.

I often wonder how well off a guy like George Lynch is. Like was he ever a millionaire at any point? Same with the guys in Judas Priest.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

McQuade wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:13 pm Ramones. Despite their legendary status as godfathers of punk rock it was a surprise to find out they were barely surviving financially all those years touring small clubs in a van.

According to his brother, after End of The Century, which was their most succesful album, Joey Ramone only had $5,000 saved in his bank account.

They started to get some better money in the 90’s from music and merchandise licensing. Johnny and Joey were frugal and both invested, but the hired guns like Richie and later CJ were only making like $300-$400 a week.
Ramones seem to only have two Gold albums and zero Platinum. Century isn't one of them, it's the s/t and Ramones Mania compilation from 88. You'd think they sold like Mötley or Poison but their record sales were Krokus level. Probably did better from touring and as you wrote from merch in the 90s and on but still not a huge band even if everyone knows them. At least they outsold Motörhead and Accept...
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Ryan81 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:29 am I'd have to imagine many of the richest rock stars get a lot of their money through good investments in real estate or some other non-musical ventures.

I often wonder how well off a guy like George Lynch is. Like was he ever a millionaire at any point?
That's an interesting question. I don't think anyone's posited that topic before.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
ElectrickMagick
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by ElectrickMagick »

Love_Industry wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:14 am
McQuade wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:13 pm Ramones. Despite their legendary status as godfathers of punk rock it was a surprise to find out they were barely surviving financially all those years touring small clubs in a van.

According to his brother, after End of The Century, which was their most succesful album, Joey Ramone only had $5,000 saved in his bank account.

They started to get some better money in the 90’s from music and merchandise licensing. Johnny and Joey were frugal and both invested, but the hired guns like Richie and later CJ were only making like $300-$400 a week.
Ramones seem to only have two Gold albums and zero Platinum. Century isn't one of them, it's the s/t and Ramones Mania compilation from 88. You'd think they sold like Mötley or Poison but their record sales were Krokus level. Probably did better from touring and as you wrote from merch in the 90s and on but still not a huge band even if everyone knows them. At least they outsold Motörhead and Accept...
Punk was always far more popular with critics than with audiences. Their lack of financial success, despite their influence, is not surprising.
TooOldToCare
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by TooOldToCare »

Ryan81 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:29 am I'd have to imagine many of the richest rock stars get a lot of their money through good investments in real estate or some other non-musical ventures.

I often wonder how well off a guy like George Lynch is. Like was he ever a millionaire at any point? Same with the guys in Judas Priest.
I bet guys like Tommy and Eric (sludge scabs) are far better off than shredder "heroes" like Lynch. Neither lived a decadent rockstar life, did their job and were paid well, and probably made some sound financial decisions. Just speculation. Johnny Depp and his fake guitar playing with the Vampires probably bring in more musical cash than Lynch.
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Halford is worth $14 mill according to google search.
George Lynch 5 mil.
But, they list James Durbin as worth 1.5 mil, so take that for what its worth.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:29 am Halford is worth $14 mill according to google search.
Saw a number of $30 mil for Halford too. And 40 mil for KK Downing in 2017, before the golf resort fiasco. He seems to have sold his home for £10 million and he bought it as far back as 1985. So the Priest guys are doing well enough financially.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:29 am Halford is worth $14 mill according to google search.
George Lynch 5 mil.
That's really weird that with all those Priest albums and such a long career, Halford still doesn't even have as much money as the CEO...

https://www.zgr.net/en/wiki/stevie-rach ... biography/
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:05 am
George Lynch 5 mil.
That's really weird that with all those Priest albums and such a long career, Halford still doesn't even have as much money as the CEO...

🤣
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:05 am
George Lynch 5 mil.

Two. Words: Metal. Sludge.
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:15 pm

I often wonder how well off a guy like George Lynch is. Like was he ever a millionaire at any point?
That's an interesting question. I don't think anyone's posited that topic before.
I don't know. It's not that interesting of a question. I'd imagine somebody has asked on this board at some point (it appears i actually asked it twice myself...sorry for the double post). I do think outside the box though so maybe not.