Would Bon Jovi have got that far away from other 80s hair metal bands without It's my life?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Would Bon Jovi have got that far away from other 80s hair metal bands without It's my life?

Post by daveg »

SexxAtraxxion wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:56 am These Days was the last great era for Bon Jovi.

Jon at his absolute peak as a live performer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGLeR65sBxc
The Circle was the last time they were...maybe not great....but very good.
The album was pretty strong, but the tour was awesome. Played for over 2 hours, added a bunch of deep cuts..Only Lonely, Tokyo Road, Raise your Hands etc.

His voice was good, and was the last tour he actually ran around on stage
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Re: Would Bon Jovi have got that far away from other 80s hair metal bands without It's my life?

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

He cut his hair over 15 years before that.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:08 am
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:39 am I thought SFTP was funny as hell. I laughed my ass off and thoroughly enjoyed it. It got played once or maybe twice and just proved that MTV could dish the shit out but had trouble taking it when it got shoved back in their face even as harmlessly as Bon Jovi did it.

It just got a groan from me and my friends. Seemed like a desperate way to get attention. MTV was on board with it, since it only validated their favorites at the time. They played it enough. More than it deserved.

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:39 am What did you want from the band at the time? SWW IV?

Don't blame me. The songs aren't that good.

Your question is up there with Paul Stanley saying fans got the wrong impression about the avatars.
These days is a decent album. Although after hey god it feels like one long ballad.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
ElectrickMagick
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by ElectrickMagick »

Def Leppard is somehow playing stadiums again, and they never had a late era career hit like BonJovi did with "It's My Life.' BonJovi was always going to be fine simply because they were one of the five best bands of that era and wrote a shit ton of great songs.
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:08 am It just got a groan from me and my friends. Seemed like a desperate way to get attention. MTV was on board with it, since it only validated their favorites at the time. They played it enough. More than it deserved.
I wasn’t watching a lot of MTV at the time. The little I did watch the channel I don’t remember seeing it much.

Don't blame me. The songs aren't that good.

You’re entitled to your opinions. It doesn’t make you right. I would’ve preferred SWW IV but I knew that wasn’t a viable option or reality at the time.
Your question is up there with Paul Stanley saying fans got the wrong impression about the avatars.
That’s not even remotely the same.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

^^^I don't know why you keep saying SWW IV when Bon Jovi never made a SWW II.

I'm not opposed to the band evolving. I find "I Believe" off KTF to be the sweet spot between their hard rock roots and the '90s sound. Great track.

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
factchecker
Picking a Band Name

Post by factchecker »

To me Bon Jovi 1995 was just Jon Bon Jovi being an reimagined image of INXS Michael Hutchence meets Val Kilmer's portrayal of Jim Morrison in Oliver Stone's The Doors. But with Bon Jovis cherry picked hits with polished new singles thrown in for a (then) contemporary relevance of a Wet Wet Wet cover version of a wedding song (Always).

For Its My Life 2000 he was literally ripping off the Goo Goo Dolls Dizzy music video haircut, hairdye and silver jacket with rockstar glasses. Watch Goo Goo Dolls Dizzy and Its My Life back to back for reference. Then you have the free from mentioning Alan Turing U571 USA submarine movie (not to be confused with the infamous Japanese experimentation Unit 731) enigma movie but not the same as the Kate Winslet Turing free ENIGMA 2001 film.