Bon Jovi - "Living In Sin"

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BDG135
Platinum Artist

Bon Jovi - "Living In Sin"

Post by BDG135 »

This song made it to number 10. Not your typical pop song as far as the lyrics. I'm sure some parents didn't appreciate the video. I guess cohabitation was still controversial in some circles in the late 80s.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Re: Bon Jovi - "Living In Sin"

Post by Mister Freeze »

Love this one. It's amazing how Bon Jovi had so many hits, a few go forgotten.

I don't think the video was a big deal. Just marketing to hype up the fifth single from an album that had been out for over a year. I remember the home video had an "uncensored" version with nothing to censor.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
HoldenSSV
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by HoldenSSV »

If I 'member correctly, uppity Christian conservatives took offense to the juxtaposition/editing of the couple kissing and then her getting communion in church or something. That's all.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Please. Middle America could handle a communion wafer and a bedroom scene in the late '80s. This board loves to run wild with the "America is overrun by evangelicals" trope.

Christians today are way nuttier and they'll bend over backwards to excuse any "living in sin" Trump does.

People like what they like.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:28 am Please. Middle America could handle a communion wafer and a bedroom scene in the late '80s. This board loves to run wild with the "America is overrun by evangelicals" trope.

Christians today are way nuttier and they'll bend over backwards to excuse any "living in sin" Trump does.

People like what they like.
There were many more evangelicals in the late 80s. If you were in certain parts of the country, it was worse.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Trust me, I've driven through Alabama and seen all the steeples. Most Americans, however, were just trying to get through their lives. Go to church once a week, eat some doughnuts afterwards and forget about the sermon five minutes later.

Madonna was challenging Christian norms way more directly than Bon Jovi did and had no problems going to #1.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:01 am Love this one. It's amazing how Bon Jovi had so many hits, a few go forgotten.

I don't think the video was a big deal. Just marketing to hype up the fifth single from an album that had been out for over a year. I remember the home video had an "uncensored" version with nothing to censor.
Awesome song but that was my immediate reaction too... "fifth single" so it didn't get as much attention as the others. I think it did as well as it did because "Love is War" was the b-side which helped boost single sales.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:17 pm
Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:01 am Love this one. It's amazing how Bon Jovi had so many hits, a few go forgotten.

Awesome song but that was my immediate reaction too... "fifth single" so it didn't get as much attention as the others. I think it did as well as it did because "Love is War" was the b-side which helped boost single sales.
It did well because living in sin is good song from a popular album.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
War_in_D
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by War_in_D »

Really good song. I do think if it was released as an earlier single it would have been bigger. However, I always hoped Wild Is The Wind would have been released. Should have instead of Living In Sin. Better song, would have charted higher.
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

War_in_D wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:19 pm

Really good song. I do think if it was released as an earlier single it would have been bigger. However, I always hoped Wild Is The Wind would have been released. Should have instead of Living In Sin. Better song, would have charted higher.
This. WITW is a great song. Shoulda been a single.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Indy_Rob wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:33 pm

One of my favourite bon Jovi songs

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
War_in_D
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by War_in_D »

Indy_Rob wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:33 pm

I always suspected that was the plan. I remember when NJ first came out, the early copies had tiny stickers on the cover which read: New album, featuring Bad Medicine, I'll Be There For You and Wild Is The Wind. Too bad it never happened.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

It's funny. New Jersey has three power ballads in a row (four if you count "Ride Cowboy Ride") with "Wild is the Wind," "Stick To Your Guns" and "I'll Be There For You" yet the album is so good, it never feels like it slows down or is ballad-heavy.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

They learned what worked on Slippery and added to it. They had the cowboy section with Ride Cowboy Ride/Stick To Your Guns and the prayer-type song with Born To Be My Baby. The extended jam song with Homebound Train. The novelty song at the end was a nice touch too.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Mister Freeze wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:57 am It's funny. New Jersey has three power ballads in a row (four if you count "Ride Cowboy Ride") with "Wild is the Wind," "Stick To Your Guns" and "I'll Be There For You" yet the album is so good, it never feels like it slows down or is ballad-heavy.
I guess it helped that wild in the wind and stick to your guns seemed a little more upbeat and faster pace than your typical ballad.

New Jersey is Bon Jovis finest hour.

str
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by str »

Cool song,
I remember (huge local NY top 40 radio station) Z100 started playing it after "Born To Be My Baby" like it was the 3rd single then pulled it and started playing "I'll Be There For You" which turned out to be the 3rd single,
I always wondered about that ,
whether it was a mistake,
or did someone change their mind,
because Z100 only played singles ,

when it was finally released it dethroned New Kids On The Block from #1 on their top 5 request show, New Kids had a stranglehold at #1 but as soon as the radio station reported the controversy of the video , it reached #1 ,

all 5 New Jersey singles reached #1 on that request show