How are Steelheart these days?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

LillianRoxyFA
Headlining Clubs

Re: How are Steelheart these days?

Post by LillianRoxyFA »

REO Cokewagon wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:50 pm
REO Cokewagon wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:28 pm
LillianRoxyFA wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:07 pm

I saw Mr. Big in Green Bay a month ago. Drove from Mpls because MN date didn't work for me. Eric's voice was in rough shape. He croaked his way through the set and deferred to Billy and Paul for much of the vocal duties. Made them sound thin. Maybe it was a bad day for Eric, but the show blew. That's why I included him.

How long was the drive, and why the fuck would u drive so far to see a dumb band like Mr. Big? Tough shit if it didn't "work for u" in MN!!

Did u stay at a hotel overnight or did u drive back the same night? What places did u stop and eat at? Perkins? Denny's? IHOP?
Hey LillianRoxyFA, we still waitin' for details about ur trip to Green Bay !!!
I travel for work and their Minneapolis show fell during a trip. I decided that I was tired of missing shows and saw that their GB date fell on an open weekend. So yes, I drove 5 hours to Green Bay to see Mr. Big. Here are the highlights:
- Stopped at Stubborn Bros Brewing in Shawano on the way there. Had a so-so pilsner. Cool space though. A converted theatre.
- My next stop was Lambeau Field where I took the tour. I'm a Viking fan, but it was amazing to be there. We got to go through the player's tunnel with the intro music playing and go right next to the field. So much history. A must for any NFL fan.
- Then on to Zambaldi Beer where I tried a "fresh hop harvest ale". Very good.
- Dinner at Sammy's Pizza. Sammy's is a MN chain with an outpost in GB. Thin crust and cut into small squares. Awesome.
- The show was at the Epic Events Center which seems to be a converted bog box retail location. Very nice space.
- The opener was a couple of local youngsters do acoustic covers of 90's songs. Looked like yacht rock babies in shorts and loud beach shirts. You'd think they could have dug up some semi-notable local hair band to join the bill. Stevie - would you have flown in for this?
- Mr. Big never elicited the exciting response from fans. No opening montage or acknowledgement of their milestone tour. Just some random dudes sauntering on stage and launching into some rock. It was fun to see Billy and Paul, but Eric's voice totally ruined it for me. The guys seemed disinterested, like they were just trying to get through the thing. Paul's solo was weird - almost freeform noodling with little purpose. Billy's was worse. They played all of Lean Into It but the lack of vocal capacity hurt many of the tunes. It's a great record, so I was disappointed.
- Call me strange, but I enjoy road trips to see c-listers. Pre-covid I flew to Denver to see Jizzy's Love/Hate and The Quireboys. I drove to Joliet to see the last real version of Rock-n-Skull. I flew to Chicago to see the TKO reunion show at Legions of Metal. Carrying the torch in my own little way.
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times. I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.

-- George Burns
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:14 am
Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:02 am Might have to give them a listen. Even back in 1990, I thought their big power ballad was a list of lyrical cliches - almost a parody.

Just looked up the stats. The album went Gold and the single hit #23. I just recall thinking, "Why is MTV playing this video so much?"
I was too busy digging on the opening guitar harmonies and being in awe of his vocal range to be that cynical. I guess not every band can come up with genius lyrics like “I’m the man in the box…..buried in my shit”

Steelheart’s first album is as good as any in the genre.
Man, you're a homo.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:31 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:14 am
Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:02 am Might have to give them a listen. Even back in 1990, I thought their big power ballad was a list of lyrical cliches - almost a parody.

Just looked up the stats. The album went Gold and the single hit #23. I just recall thinking, "Why is MTV playing this video so much?"
I was too busy digging on the opening guitar harmonies and being in awe of his vocal range to be that cynical. I guess not every band can come up with genius lyrics like “I’m the man in the box…..buried in my shit”

Steelheart’s first album is as good as any in the genre.
Man, you're a homo.
Not any bigger of a homo than Layne was or you and the rest of the Ken’s around here.
REO Cokewagon
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by REO Cokewagon »

LillianRoxyFA wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:46 am
REO Cokewagon wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:50 pm
REO Cokewagon wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:28 pm

How long was the drive, and why the fuck would u drive so far to see a dumb band like Mr. Big? Tough shit if it didn't "work for u" in MN!!

Did u stay at a hotel overnight or did u drive back the same night? What places did u stop and eat at? Perkins? Denny's? IHOP?
Hey LillianRoxyFA, we still waitin' for details about ur trip to Green Bay !!!
I travel for work and their Minneapolis show fell during a trip. I decided that I was tired of missing shows and saw that their GB date fell on an open weekend. So yes, I drove 5 hours to Green Bay to see Mr. Big. Here are the highlights:
- Stopped at Stubborn Bros Brewing in Shawano on the way there. Had a so-so pilsner. Cool space though. A converted theatre.
- My next stop was Lambeau Field where I took the tour. I'm a Viking fan, but it was amazing to be there. We got to go through the player's tunnel with the intro music playing and go right next to the field. So much history. A must for any NFL fan.
- Then on to Zambaldi Beer where I tried a "fresh hop harvest ale". Very good.
- Dinner at Sammy's Pizza. Sammy's is a MN chain with an outpost in GB. Thin crust and cut into small squares. Awesome.
- The show was at the Epic Events Center which seems to be a converted bog box retail location. Very nice space.
- The opener was a couple of local youngsters do acoustic covers of 90's songs. Looked like yacht rock babies in shorts and loud beach shirts. You'd think they could have dug up some semi-notable local hair band to join the bill. Stevie - would you have flown in for this?
- Mr. Big never elicited the exciting response from fans. No opening montage or acknowledgement of their milestone tour. Just some random dudes sauntering on stage and launching into some rock. It was fun to see Billy and Paul, but Eric's voice totally ruined it for me. The guys seemed disinterested, like they were just trying to get through the thing. Paul's solo was weird - almost freeform noodling with little purpose. Billy's was worse. They played all of Lean Into It but the lack of vocal capacity hurt many of the tunes. It's a great record, so I was disappointed.
- Call me strange, but I enjoy road trips to see c-listers. Pre-covid I flew to Denver to see Jizzy's Love/Hate and The Quireboys. I drove to Joliet to see the last real version of Rock-n-Skull. I flew to Chicago to see the TKO reunion show at Legions of Metal. Carrying the torch in my own little way.
This is great and all, but what about the overnight? Did u drive back the same night, or did u stay in a hotel? A shitty hotel or somethin' nice? Any overnight restaurants like IHOP or Waffle House? Or maybe a Speedway gas station hot dog on the drive back?