Heart - Opening Night Setlist is...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Re: Heart - Opening Night Setlist is...

Post by Ryan81 »

Thank You Bernie above me! Yes, Roger Fisher was the man. He was the one behind their best riffs. No Fisher no Magic Man or Barracuda, etc. Bebe Le Strange I believe is also Roger's even though he wasn't on the album (that is a great riff too, however I think the chorus of the song is dum-dumb).

He must've really done something (besides smashing a guitar next to Nancy's head) to really piss the sisters off because they never give him any credit. I don't blame the guy. He loved Nancy and she was humping DeRossier (the drummer). It sounds like they were bitches to him at the Hall of Fame as well. One book I read said that he could be a pain in the ass in the studio and he may have had an inflated ego back then, but he was probably frustrated because he was the soul of that band, yet all anybody ever talked about was how amazing it was that there were girls in the band. Stupid really. Just another example of men being discriminated against in this women dominated world. He probably had to put up with being groped by the sisters and record company executives. The poor guy probably even got whistled at by those perverted females in the audience. One day this will stop when the #I Also movement gets some steam going when enough males stand up and say no more of this sexiness. Because that is all it is...sexiness.

All that being said, that is a surprisingly good set list. I wish that they would breakout Devil Delight or Cook With Fire sometime, but it won't happen and I'll just have to accept that and carry on with my day.

Interesting side note for you guitar players: Have you ever tried to play Magic Man and it just didn't sound right? Well take your high E sting and tune that bitch up 3 half steps to G. Try that motherfucker now. There ya go.
TeslaFan
Recording Debut Album

Post by TeslaFan »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:40 pm All I Wanna Do is one of their biggest hits. Absurd they won’t play one of their true classics for their fans.
Ann Wilson hates the song. It may have been Chuck Shute or Dean Del Ray but I remember them talking about how the song objectifies. That’s probably the reason it’s not in the set.
Just a regular guy who likes Metal
ALMOSTsaved
Headlining Clubs

Post by ALMOSTsaved »

Just saw this in my FB feeds. Two for one tickets in Greensboro:

Heart is thrilled to kick off their “Royal Flush Tour 2024” this week. And in celebration of the iconic studio album “Dreamboat Annie” (released 48 years ago), we’re offering a special ‘buy one ticket, get one free’ using password DREAMBOAT! Don’t miss the chance to see these Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees when they perform live at Greensboro Coliseum on Oct. 16 ❤️. Act fast—this limited time offer runs from Tuesday, April 23 at 10am to Sunday, April 28 at 10pm!

https://mygbo.cc/heart
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Plan 6 months ahead for Zepp Heart in someplace called Greensboro LOL!
The Sh*T Tour 2024!

Fly in October 25 and see legend Mike Tramp at Whisky!
Tell Me vs stupidass Barracuda
Last edited by LAglamrocker on Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
LSD69
Headlining Clubs

Post by LSD69 »

Ryan81 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:28 am Thank You Bernie above me! Yes, Roger Fisher was the man. He was the one behind their best riffs. No Fisher no Magic Man or Barracuda, etc. Bebe Le Strange I believe is also Roger's even though he wasn't on the album (that is a great riff too, however I think the chorus of the song is dum-dumb).

He must've really done something (besides smashing a guitar next to Nancy's head) to really piss the sisters off because they never give him any credit. I don't blame the guy. He loved Nancy and she was humping DeRossier (the drummer). It sounds like they were bitches to him at the Hall of Fame as well. One book I read said that he could be a pain in the ass in the studio and he may have had an inflated ego back then, but he was probably frustrated because he was the soul of that band, yet all anybody ever talked about was how amazing it was that there were girls in the band. Stupid really. Just another example of men being discriminated against in this women dominated world. He probably had to put up with being groped by the sisters and record company executives. The poor guy probably even got whistled at by those perverted females in the audience. One day this will stop when the #I Also movement gets some steam going when enough males stand up and say no more of this sexiness. Because that is all it is...sexiness.

All that being said, that is a surprisingly good set list. I wish that they would breakout Devil Delight or Cook With Fire sometime, but it won't happen and I'll just have to accept that and carry on with my day.

Interesting side note for you guitar players: Have you ever tried to play Magic Man and it just didn't sound right? Well take your high E sting and tune that bitch up 3 half steps to G. Try that motherfucker now. There ya go.
What are your thoughts on Mark Andes, Denny Carmassi and Howey :?:
skatexedge
Headlining Clubs

Post by skatexedge »

If all those 80s songs that they hate so much didn’t exist, Heart would have been all done by the mid 80s.

They really don’t seem to think about or have any respect for the fans who pay money to hear HEART songs, not the bullshit covers. Maybe one cover song in the set at most. They could even do some deep cuts from their 70s records. That would be better than LZ. :roll:
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

jaxjaguar wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:46 pm They never play How Can I Refuse, always thought it should get more love. Cool deep cut for a full set. Enough with the Zeppelin.
That whole album is underrated.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Wolfgang is too BIG of star for this tour…BIG star
Wolfie going enjoy Grohl licking his butthole all summer

* still feel bad for L7 they deserve so much better
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

BernieTaupson wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:52 pm The sisters never wrote the stuff alone anyway, it used to be a real band. People give KISS shit for two guys taking it over and turning it into a brand Heart did the same thing. The original guys don’t even get a mention anymore. Nancy didn’t come ip with those early riffs it was Roger Fisher.
Yeah, Some weeks ago I played all Heart albums from the first one on on Spotify and me enjoying them clearly went down the moment Fischer was not involved anymore.
In their book the Heart sisters say the only way they could get a new record deal in the 80's was if they agreed to outside writers and at least in the book they seemed still to be angry about it, even when it did make them millions.....
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BernieTaupson »

Yeah they got dropped after a couple of albums stiffed.

They got a new record deal with another label and were told to do covers on Heart85 because they were totally out of ideas.

The Wilson sisters aren’t songwriters. Good at adding bits to other people’s songs. Nancy came up with some good acoustic stuff, occasionally.

Their albums for the last 25 years have been dire.
tommy trixter
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by tommy trixter »

jaxjaguar wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:46 pm They never play How Can I Refuse, always thought it should get more love. Cool deep cut for a full set. Enough with the Zeppelin.
Love That Song.I Haven't Heard In Forever.
Last edited by tommy trixter on Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
tommy trixter
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by tommy trixter »

I Alway's Loves City's Burning Too..
jhenders
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by jhenders »

DrumminAway wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:46 am I know they’re pure cheese but I’d love to hear If Looks Could Kill, The Wolf, or Shell Shock.
Hellls yeah!
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

TeslaFan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:55 am
DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:40 pm All I Wanna Do is one of their biggest hits. Absurd they won’t play one of their true classics for their fans.
Ann Wilson hates the song. It may have been Chuck Shute or Dean Del Ray but I remember them talking about how the song objectifies. That’s probably the reason it’s not in the set.
No wonder, it's a horrible song- one of the worst. I wish they would do If Looks Could Kill and There's The Girl. Cheap Trick or Squeeze are opening for them in Europe. I hope it's either, both are great.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Two of their best, yes.

Compare the single and the album version of There’s The Girl, there’s a whole countermelody thing going on in the single that’s not on the album.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

Ryan81 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:28 am but all anybody ever talked about was how amazing it was that there were girls in the band. Stupid really. Just another example of men being discriminated against in this women dominated world. He probably had to put up with being groped by the sisters and record company executives. The poor guy probably even got whistled at by those perverted females in the audience. One day this will stop when the #I Also movement gets some steam going when enough males stand up and say no more of this sexiness. Because that is all it is...sexiness.
You were doing well until that point. I recently watched that old Bands Reunited episode with Vixen, the guy asked all of them, several times, "what was it like to be a girl in a band?" and their disdain was obvious. But as to the rest of it, if that was supposed to be a comedy routine it needs some work, and if it's your actual opinion... :roll:
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

GoodJudge wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:17 am
You were doing well until that point. I recently watched that old Bands Reunited episode with Vixen, the guy asked all of them, several times, "what was it like to be a girl in a band?" and their disdain was obvious. But as to the rest of it, if that was supposed to be a comedy routine it needs some work, and if it's your actual opinion... :roll:
You are correct it was a stupid thing to say and not really funny. Almost every time I post I go on for way too long and it's never as clever when I read most of it back a little later. I usually chalk them up to just more things to add to long, long list of poor choices I've made.

While I do love women very much and am hetero to the point of almost being homophobic I will say some of the complaints from some women get irritating. I had a few examples, but it was taking way too much space so I erased it. I was joking about men being discriminated against though.

Some unpopular opinions I have are I have a strong dislike of police. I think a lot of claims of racism are just a bunch of whining. I'm no fan of Trump, but think a lot of his anti-politically correct statements were funny (ie grab em by the pussy). I think Harvey Weinstein and Jeffery Epstein were over-villianized. I don't think they were good guys or anything either. I think the Nazi SS uniforms looked great. I think Stalin was worse than Hitler. I think transgendered people are mentally ill and doctors performing surgeries should have their licenses pulled. I think it's bullshit that a mam can have his reputation ruined due to a woman just now bringing up an incident from 20+ years ago. The #metoo cancel thing got way out of hand. If somebody grabbed your butt back I'm '93 and you're just now mentioning it you're an idiot and not truly traumatized.

That is all I can think of now. Once again I wrote way too much. I'm probably blocked by most people around here by now anyway. I probably come off as an asshole, but I was voted friendliest in my class when I was a senior. Anonymity is a huge factor in my internet ramblings as well.

Somebody above asked about my opinion of the 80's Heart male members. All I can say is thar I know very little about them. I believe Carmasi (sp?) was the drummer for Montrose or something and is considered really good. I know nothing of Mark Andes. Howard Leese is alright. I'm friends with a girl who went out with him briefly. I'm sure each of those guys are great musicians. But I much preferred Roger Fisher and Mike Derosier. No opinion on Steve Fossen.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Wtf
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

He's under pretty heavy sedation.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

Agree, and they need Even It Up and If Looks Could Kill, too. And 1-2 songs from the Jupiter's Darling era. Can't be too many from there as fans don't know that era as much, but get 1-2 in. Less from Brigade late-80s era would be better.
kwf
Headlining Clubs

Post by kwf »

They hate each other and they hate their own songs
Total Package
greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Post by greengoblinrulz »

I got into Heart for the first time in the late 80s knowing nothing about their 70s stuff. Went back & learned the bigger songs eventually.
Saw them in concert for first time about 20 years ago. When they basically ditched the albums I grew up on em & threw in all the Zep covers (whom I was never into) as well as not being a very exciting live band, I kind of soured on em. This was the tour they were using Gilby Clarke & Mike Inez on so it was actually impressive who they were using but it still was a lackluster show.
Seen em a few times since more or less for the supporting or headliner acts & they are fine for a few top songs but that attitude kind of turned me off on them in the live setting
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

kwf wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:00 am They hate each other and they hate their own songs
Brilliant summation
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

BernieTaupson wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:19 pmWtf
No kidding.
ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by ParaDime77 »

The only time l watched Heart play, we left after 7 songs. Despite Nancy looking cougarific, the covers killed the show. Why on earth are they covering Led Zeppelin songs that people have heard 1 million times to death? There is zero demand for that shit.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch