Did Gene Simmons or Paul Stanley ever successfully make someone's career?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: Did Gene Simmons or Paul Stanley ever successfully make someone's career?

Post by risingfarce »

BernieTaupson wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:05 am
risingfarce wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:08 am Desmond is gay.

Paul is not gay.

You want Paul to be gay. Get your lotion and a tissue and listen to "I Was Made For Loving You" and have at it.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

AlexVonHaig wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:27 am
risingfarce wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:08 am
Stinky McFister wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:47 pm
I thought Desmond Child was gay and that was what attracted Paul
Desmond is gay.

Paul is not gay.
fify
No need to fix anything.

They're your gay fantasies.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Ozzy Stradlin wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:23 am
Zinny wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:21 pm Paul turning down the opportunity to produce ”Appetite For Destruction” might have saved Guns ’N’ Roses!
From what I understand, it’s a stretch to say that Paul “turned down” GnR.
As I posted above, GNR didn't want Paul to produce the lp.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

I was present for a couple of these attempts...

In one, Paul was after the Poison guys because he wanted to produce their second album. They wanted to look pro for the meeting (at the Rainbow) so they rented a van and I drove them up lol. That's also why he popped up at the Texxas Jam with them. They never really considered having him do it, they were just stoked to be hanging with one of their childhood heroes. Seems like Paula REALLY wanted to produce at the time...did he ever get to do anything significant?

In the second, during the recording of the second or third L.A. Guns record, a call came in that Gene Simmons wanted to pitch some songs to the band...so he comes down to the studio with a cassette of songs that he worked up with the Black and Blue guys (IIRC). He pops this tape in, and it plays over the studio system...the songs were just the most horrible corny shit you ever heard. Liiiike, from the first 10 seconds, everybody was just looking around at each other like: "Oh. My God." I remember there was one called American Man (not the Kiss song) which was particularly corny and horrible. This goes on for like 10 minutes while the songs played, which seemed like an eternity.

At the end, Gene addresses the band like: "Gentlemen, these are all OBVIOUSLY hit songs, contact me to license them" or whatevz and he left. We all just looked at each other like: "What the fuck just happened???" :lol:
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

has anyone mentioned eric carr, eric singer, vinnie, bruce and tommy?
SeniorGrande
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by SeniorGrande »

Sleek wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:30 pm I was present for a couple of these attempts...

In one, Paul was after the Poison guys because he wanted to produce their second album. They wanted to look pro for the meeting (at the Rainbow) so they rented a van and I drove them up lol. That's also why he popped up at the Texxas Jam with them. They never really considered having him do it, they were just stoked to be hanging with one of their childhood heroes. Seems like Paula REALLY wanted to produce at the time...did he ever get to do anything significant?

In the second, during the recording of the second or third L.A. Guns record, a call came in that Gene Simmons wanted to pitch some songs to the band...so he comes down to the studio with a cassette of songs that he worked up with the Black and Blue guys (IIRC). He pops this tape in, and it plays over the studio system...the songs were just the most horrible corny shit you ever heard. Liiiike, from the first 10 seconds, everybody was just looking around at each other like: "Oh. My God." I remember there was one called American Man (not the Kiss song) which was particularly corny and horrible. This goes on for like 10 minutes while the songs played, which seemed like an eternity.

At the end, Gene addresses the band like: "Gentlemen, these are all OBVIOUSLY hit songs, contact me to license them" or whatevz and he left. We all just looked at each other like: "What the fuck just happened???" :lol:
Tuff - American Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OkCttUiP-A

Pretty sure it's the same song:
https://www.kiss-related-recordings.nl/ ... f2001.html
aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by aznsquirt »

SeniorGrande wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:21 pm
Sleek wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:30 pm I was present for a couple of these attempts...

Tuff - American Man

Hahaha, oh it so obviously is, haha. It sounds exactly like you'd expect, too.

Just picturing the guys from LA Guns sitting there listening to a demo of this, haahaha.

Great story.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Sleek wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:30 pm Seems like Paula REALLY wanted to produce at the time...did he ever get to do anything significant?
All I can think of are nobodies like New England, Voodoo X and War Babies. Gene at least did House of Lords, BnB and Keel that we still talk about here.

As for the LA Guns and Gene story, seems he tried to push his Kiss rejects and home demos on any nobody band. Heavy Pettin rejected his songs too and they were hardly Sabbath or Zeppelin.

Edit: Listened to that song LA Guns thought were corny (American Man). They were right. If Gene wrote it for Kiss it's even more embarrassing, as Paul had a much better song with almost the same title on Alive II.
Last edited by Love_Industry on Sat May 11, 2024 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Fuck that song is even worse than his Hot In The Shade songs.

Interestingly Brian Tischy who drummed on that POS is in Gene’s current touring band.
jens
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by jens »

aznsquirt wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:25 am
SeniorGrande wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:21 pm
Sleek wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:30 pm songs were just the most horrible corny shit you ever heard. Liiiike, from the first 10 seconds, everybody was just looking around at each other like: "Oh. My God." I remember there was one called American Man (not the Kiss song) which was particularly corny and horrible.
Tuff - American Man

Hahaha, oh it so obviously is, haha. It sounds exactly like you'd expect, too.

Just picturing the guys from LA Guns sitting there listening to a demo of this, haahaha.

Great story.
God damned this is brilliant, just a perfectly unfolding story.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

risingfarce wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:09 pm
AlexVonHaig wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:27 am
risingfarce wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:08 am

Desmond is gay.

Paul is not gay.
fify
No need to fix anything.

They're your gay fantasies.
You sure get defensive about the gay stuff with Paul. I think it's time for you to spill your big secret.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Yeah typical KISStard. Gets totally riled by junior high level jibes. KISStards are mentally stuck in junior high so someone calling Paul Stanley gay is a huge deal.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:48 pm has anyone mentioned eric carr, eric singer, vinnie, bruce and tommy?
Eric Singer had a career before KISS. To a lesser extent, Bruce did, too and Bruce had some success after KISS.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:12 am Yeah typical KISStard. Gets totally riled by junior high level jibes. KISStards are mentally stuck in junior high so someone calling Paul Stanley gay is a huge deal.
You're the one bringing Paul up. It's your obsession.

If you want Paul to be gay, then have at it. It's the only way that you'll get through your day.

Your mental capacity is at an elementary school level and it'll stay there for the rest of your life.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Thanks for proving my point.

You should have just said “I know you are I said you are but what am I?”
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:44 am Thanks for proving my point.

You should have just said “I know you are I said you are but what am I?”
Your point is that you're a cunt with a low IQ.

You can fuck off now, junior.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

risingfarce wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:26 am
BernieTaupson wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:12 am Yeah typical KISStard. Gets totally riled by junior high level jibes. KISStards are mentally stuck in junior high so someone calling Paul Stanley gay is a huge deal.
You're the one bringing Paul up. It's your obsession.

If you want Paul to be gay, then have at it. It's the only way that you'll get through your day.

Your mental capacity is at an elementary school level and it'll stay there for the rest of your life.
You just can't seem to stop talking about gay Paul. It's okay, we get it.
KISStian
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by KISStian »

risingfarce wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:18 am
Kid-Wicked wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:48 pm has anyone mentioned eric carr, eric singer, vinnie, bruce and tommy?
Eric Singer had a career before KISS. To a lesser extent, Bruce did, too and Bruce had some success after KISS.
Did Bruce really have a "career" or "success" though? I mean, the same way a guy who delivers Papa John's winds up managing Domino's maybe. :lol:
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

KISStian wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:46 am
Did Bruce really have a "career" or "success" though? I mean, the same way a guy who delivers Papa John's winds up managing Domino's maybe. :lol:
Bruce had more success outside Kiss than Eric Carr or Mark St John, but less than Vinnie Vincent or Eric Singer. Maybe same level as Tommy Thayer with BnB.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

how many arenas and stadiums did badlands play? a couple of small tours with lita and sabbath didn't "make his career". bruce had success doing what after kiss? touring with rand funk? how much did that have to do with him playing in kiss?
Last edited by Kid-Wicked on Sun May 12, 2024 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KISStian
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by KISStian »

Love_Industry wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:28 am
KISStian wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:46 am

Bruce had more success outside Kiss than Eric Carr or Mark St John, but less than Vinnie Vincent or Eric Singer. Maybe same level as Tommy Thayer with BnB.
Yeah but TT wound up with more $$$$ than 90% of the hair farmers discussed here, so there's that.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:22 am
how many arenas and stadiums did badlands play? a couple of small tours with lita a sabbath didn't "make his career". bruce had success doing what after kiss? touring with rand funk? how much did that have to do with him playing in kiss?
Singer did proper arena tours with Gary Moore and Alice Cooper in Europe from 87-91. He didn't play on the albums but toured for Wild Frontier, Trash and Hey Stoopid. All pretty big albums over here, even if Stoopid bombed in the US.
LurkingAtWork
Recording Your Demo

Post by LurkingAtWork »

CanadianMetal wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:17 pm DORO - He produced her first solo album and was the main reason I even bought it .

I met and spoke her around 2005 and she said that of all the producers she had over the decades , she learned the most from Gene .

When I took a photo with her after our meeting she asked to see it and and after looking said we can do better and had me give the camera to my friend to take another . She was right the next photo was way better . I never had never heard of a big star wanting to see a photo before and make you retake a photo.

She was amazing in concert and it was almost impossible to get photo of her standing still as she was always in motion the whole concert with her super high energy. She gained way more respect from me after that day .
I've seen Doro live three times and you're right, she's great.