R.I.P. Steve Albini - Heart Attack at 61

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: R.I.P. Steve Albini - Heart Attack at 61

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

FreddyFender wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:36 pmIs liking child **** a form of satire? News to me.
No, it was a punk rocker in his 20's trying to be provocative. If you'd ever heard a note of Big Black's music, you'd know that lyrically, it revolved around the darkest sides of Americana--murder, drugs, misogyny, abuse, etc.

I know the quote you're talking about and it's embarrassing to read. But if you knew who you were talking about instead of Reddit-stalking him to get one over on me, you'd kinda get that this was misanthropic music about the terribleness of humanity.

He recorded some records by Peter Sotos of Whitehouse, really extreme documents of all of the subjects listed above, all very difficult to listen to. If Sotos went to prison, that's news to me. Enlighten me, now that you're the scholar.

As far as someone on his forum going to prison, not sure how that's his problem. There are hundreds of people on that forum. One of hundreds being a perv is a statistical miracle. I can name a handful of disgusting creeps who've been on these forums, people OPENLY advocating for these things, none of whom you've ever said jack shit to.

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:14 pm It was ok 40 years ago.
Apparently it was, since you're among the people that idolize the musicians who actually did the things that Albini said he found interesting.

So, Suckit 2, I think Suckit 1's pearl-clutching is pretty funny.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Also, all of this was a news story 2 years ago, but I know you guys don't really keep up. Didn't the other "John Lennon beat his wife" guys on Reddit mention this?

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/steve-alb ... lord-shit/
I certainly have some ‘splainin to do, and am not shy about any of it. A lot of things I said and did from an ignorant position of comfort and privilege are clearly awful and I regret them. It’s nobody’s obligation to overlook that, and I do feel an obligation to redeem myself…

A project I’ve undertaken piecemeal as I’ve matured, evolved and learned over time. I expect no grace, and honestly feel like I and others of my generation have not been held to task enough for words and behavior that ultimately contributed to a coarsening society.

For myself and many of my peers, we miscalculated. We thought the major battles over equality and inclusiveness had been won, and society would eventually express that, so we were not harming anything with contrarianism, shock, sarcasm or irony.

If anything, we were trying to underscore the banality, the everyday nonchalance toward our common history with the atrocious, all while laboring under the tacit *mistaken* notion that things were getting better.

I’m overdue for a conversation about my role in inspiring “edgelord” shit. Believe me, I’ve met my share of punishers at gigs and I sympathize with anybody who isn’t me but still had to suffer them.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Hellbound
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Hellbound »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:02 pm Also, all of this was a news story 2 years ago, but I know you guys don't really keep up. Didn't the other "John Lennon beat his wife" guys on Reddit mention this?

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/steve-alb ... lord-shit/
I certainly have some ‘splainin to do, and am not shy about any of it. A lot of things I said and did from an ignorant position of comfort and privilege are clearly awful and I regret them. It’s nobody’s obligation to overlook that, and I do feel an obligation to redeem myself…

A project I’ve undertaken piecemeal as I’ve matured, evolved and learned over time. I expect no grace, and honestly feel like I and others of my generation have not been held to task enough for words and behavior that ultimately contributed to a coarsening society.

For myself and many of my peers, we miscalculated. We thought the major battles over equality and inclusiveness had been won, and society would eventually express that, so we were not harming anything with contrarianism, shock, sarcasm or irony.

If anything, we were trying to underscore the banality, the everyday nonchalance toward our common history with the atrocious, all while laboring under the tacit *mistaken* notion that things were getting better.

I’m overdue for a conversation about my role in inspiring “edgelord” shit. Believe me, I’ve met my share of punishers at gigs and I sympathize with anybody who isn’t me but still had to suffer them.
Are you suggesting that with research we can learn things?
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Hellbound wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:13 pmAre you suggesting that with research we can learn things?
:lol:

If he's Reddit-stalking Albini, it's impossible that Suckit 1 didn't come across any of the news items from a couple years ago. He chose to ignore them.

I didn't know Suckit felt so strongly about the subject since he's never actually put his views into action. There's a guy IN THIS THREAD who said something about a baby that's among the most disturbing things I've ever read here. Will Suckit confront him with the same enthusiasm he's shown this dead guy he claimed to not even care about?
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

I think I might turn in early, can someone post the Suckits' responses over on Electric Eye for me to read? I don't have an account over there.