STP at Welcome to Rockville

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

STP at Welcome to Rockville

Post by Anthrax442 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM7oY4C7htg

I mean...nothing against the DeLeo brothers and Eric Kretz, but does anyone care about STP without Weiland?

Jeff is...fine, but does STP even work with just a generic rock singer soundalike? Clearly, they must be okay with the guy, since he's been with them SEVEN years now (?!?), but Weiland was that magic ingredient that made them interesting.

Maybe it's just me and I wasn't a big enough fan back in the day for this matter, but it's weird how some replacements totally work (Edsel in Static X, William in Alice in Chains), and them some...it doesn't feel any different than watching a cover band at a bar.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Vince Neil Eats
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Re: STP at Welcome to Rockville

Post by Vince Neil Eats »

I am a big STP fan, I think Jeff does well, but it just doesn’t feel right. He sounds too much like Weiland. However, I guess people would complain if he didn’t sound like Weiland enough. It’s a no win situation.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Huge STP fan. Saw the genuine article probably 10-15x between 1996 and 2010. I’m also fine with plenty of bands carrying on without their frontman (AIC, for example).

I saw STP with Jeff at a festival last October and it was just lame and sad. Lifeless. They didn’t dare go beyond the first three albums.

Jeff’s doing a very-good-but-sad impression of Scott, and I don’t hold it against him at all because the other three have looked at probably thousands of potential replacements and this is what they chose to do/they’re Jeff’s bosses and he’s doing what they want.

I wish I hadn’t seen that set. More power to them, but, ooof.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

WTF do you want STP or AIC to do when a singer dies or departs? Close shop and go home? Over the years, there have been so many "complaints" about this. You'd swear a crime was committed when Adam Gontier left Three Days Grace. The dude from My Darkest Days steps in and does fine, but years later, it's still the SOS...without Adam, it isn't TDG. Fine, quit listening to them. How hard is that? When William DuVall joined AIC, same shit, different band. Then they released Black Gives Way to Blue, a good album, and I think Cantrell and DuVall sound great together. No, it's not Layne, but that fuck couldn't stop the heroin, so fuck him.

If you don't think it's STP with this dude after seven years, move on to something else or enjoy it. You have a choice.
Vince Neil Eats
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by Vince Neil Eats »

TooOldToCare wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:58 am WTF do you want STP or AIC to do when a singer dies or departs? Close shop and go home? Over the years, there have been so many "complaints" about this. You'd swear a crime was committed when Adam Gontier left Three Days Grace. The dude from My Darkest Days steps in and does fine, but years later, it's still the SOS...without Adam, it isn't TDG. Fine, quit listening to them. How hard is that? When William DuVall joined AIC, same shit, different band. Then they released Black Gives Way to Blue, a good album, and I think Cantrell and DuVall sound great together. No, it's not Layne, but that fuck couldn't stop the heroin, so fuck him.

If you don't think it's STP with this dude after seven years,
move on to something else or enjoy it. You have a choice.
The Duvall/AIC works in my opinion. It’s a different animal than the Staley led version, but not too far off from the original sound. Plus Jerry is still there on harmonies. The STP situation seems to much like a singer doing a Weiland impression…moves and all. To each their own.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Vince Neil Eats wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:29 pm
TooOldToCare wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:58 am WTF do you want STP or AIC to do when a singer dies or departs? Close shop and go home? Over the years, there have been so many "complaints" about this. You'd swear a crime was committed when Adam Gontier left Three Days Grace. The dude from My Darkest Days steps in and does fine, but years later, it's still the SOS...without Adam, it isn't TDG. Fine, quit listening to them. How hard is that? When William DuVall joined AIC, same shit, different band. Then they released Black Gives Way to Blue, a good album, and I think Cantrell and DuVall sound great together. No, it's not Layne, but that fuck couldn't stop the heroin, so fuck him.

If you don't think it's STP with this dude after seven years,
move on to something else or enjoy it. You have a choice.
The Duvall/AIC works in my opinion. It’s a different animal than the Staley led version, but not too far off from the original sound. Plus Jerry is still there on harmonies. The STP situation seems to much like a singer doing a Weiland impression…moves and all. To each their own.
I specifically mentioned the fact that Duvall and Edsel worked in their capacities with those bands. And believe me, I'm not losing sleep over who's singing for STP. They're free to do whatever they want, I'm just saying, I think Weiland was a MUCH bigger piece of what made them interesting, and I don't think it works with just a guy who sounds similar to Weiland. Should they pack it up? Actually, maybe they should, if this is going to be the result. Or go back to doing something different, like Talk Show, they're talented musicians, it's not like the only thing they're capable of is playing 30 year old STP songs.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Yeah, TooOld, apples and oranges. William DuVall had been singing in Jerry’s solo band for years (got to see it a couple times myself) and wasn’t hired specifically to be a carbon copy of Layne out of a pool of thousands of applicants.

I also don’t think the sentiment is anyone being outraged and protesting what STP is doing. In this thread and in general the overall verdict seems to be “more power to them but this doesn’t work for me.”

They were dealt a bad hand and of course they’re allowed to carry on, but part of that bad hand is they’ve spent the last 25-30 years hearing “meh” reactions to everything they’ve tried to do without Scott.

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:17 am Yeah, TooOld, apples and oranges. William DuVall had been singing in Jerry’s solo band for years (got to see it a couple times myself) and wasn’t hired specifically to be a carbon copy of Layne out of a pool of thousands of applicants.

I also don’t think the sentiment is anyone being outraged and protesting what STP is doing. In this thread and in general the overall verdict seems to be “more power to them but this doesn’t work for me.”

They were dealt a bad hand and of course they’re allowed to carry on, but part of that bad hand is that they’ve spent the last 25-30 years hearing “meh” reactions to everything they’ve tried to do without Scott.
I don't think it's apples to oranges...for me, maybe Red Delicious to Granny Smith. I was unaware DuVall was in Cantrell's solo band (I never paid them any attention), so I see your point there. And I agree that Weiland was one-of-a-kind despite stealing moves from Jagger and Iggy. The sound and lookalike replacement is a turnoff for me, too. To each their own as to whether to be into it or not. I was trying to think of it from the POV of other band members who want to carry on and make a good living or from a fan's POV who doesn't want to see their favorite band fold. If Weiland were still alive, it could still be "meh." We'll never know. Having the original frontman does not necessarily mean better than another dude in all cases. All said, I see your points.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

TooOldToCare wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:33 am
I don't think it's apples to oranges...for me, maybe Red Delicious to Granny Smith. I was unaware DuVall was in Cantrell's solo band (I never paid them any attention), so I see your point there. And I agree that Weiland was one-of-a-kind despite stealing moves from Jagger and Iggy. The sound and lookalike replacement is a turnoff for me, too. To each their own as to whether to be into it or not. I was trying to think of it from the POV of other band members who want to carry on and make a good living or from a fan's POV who doesn't want to see their favorite band fold. If Weiland were still alive, it could still be "meh." We'll never know. Having the original frontman does not necessarily mean better than another dude in all cases. All said, I see your points.
Respectable response. I thought about this last night, as far as the STP guys hanging it up, and was like, "Just how many Nirvana songs have Dave and Krist played in the last 30 years?" There are other options out there for musicians.

Again, they're totally free to do whatever they want to make a living, and if playing those songs is still enjoyable to them, and they can make some money, that's cool. I think my original question was more from the fan perspective. Like, what percentage of STP fans that liked the band in the heyday are still going to see their name on a marquee and be like, "I want to go see that.", knowing that Weiland isn't around anymore.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Anthrax442 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:45 am
TooOldToCare wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:33 am
Respectable response. I thought about this last night, as far as the STP guys hanging it up, and was like, "Just how many Nirvana songs have Dave and Krist played in the last 30 years?" There are other options out there for musicians.

Again, they're totally free to do whatever they want to make a living, and if playing those songs is still enjoyable to them, and they can make some money, that's cool. I think my original question was more from the fan perspective. Like, what percentage of STP fans that liked the band in the heyday are still going to see their name on a marquee and be like, "I want to go see that.", knowing that Weiland isn't around anymore.
If it weren't for YouTube, and I was an STP fan, I'd go at least once, but maybe no more. YouTube has been a blessing and a curse. I feel like I've seen many bands I'd otherwise not pay to see or decide NOT TO SEE BANDS that used to be high on my list because they can no longer bring it. It isn't the same as a live concert experience, but in some ways it's better. I don't have to hassle with bullshit, and if it sucks, I click out for free. Kind of a similar reason why I'll never go to a movie theater again.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

I’m reading these last few posts from the two of you and laughing to myself (in a good way) - “Wow this is really well-reasoned, on point, and respectful. Am I on the right website?” :lol:

Another little tidbit about the perspective of the STP guys. I saw Talk Show open for Aerosmith as a kid. December 1997. The response was a sea of human flat-faced emojis. Dean later gave an interview where he said someone held up a sign that said “You Suck Without Scott Weiland” during that run of shows. I’ve always felt terrible for them. They’re ridiculously talented as players and writers and deserve better, but the fan perspective is that they just haven’t been able to crack the code without Scott.

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

PBFSUCKS

Post by PBFSUCKS »

I thought the guy sounded good. I mean WTF is he supposed to do? I’d go see them if it was priced decently, which means I’ll probably never see them live.

I met them backstage during the tour for “Tiny Music” Weiland was a small, shaky mess but he delivered the goods an hour later.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

I love the fact that they are succeeding after the fact... bravo to those brothers and anyone related.

Same applies with Alice In Chains, Sublime, etc... add Warrant and Quiet Riot to this the same.

Kudos to the guys who are living their life, enjoying the fruits of their labor, from years of hard work and decades of dedication.

As for those who couldn't get their sh!t together, and off'd themselves on purpose, or by losing control of their demons... their loss.

$tEvil
Last edited by MetalSludgeCEO on Mon May 13, 2024 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:43 am I’m reading these last few posts from the two of you and laughing to myself (in a good way) - “Wow this is really well-reasoned, on point, and respectful. Am I on the right website?” :lol:

Another little tidbit about the perspective of the STP guys. I saw Talk Show open for Aerosmith as a kid. December 1997. The response was a sea of human flat-faced emojis. Dean later gave an interview where he said someone held up a sign that said “You Suck Without Scott Weiland” during that run of shows. I’ve always felt terrible for them. They’re ridiculously talented as players and writers and deserve better, but the fan perspective is that they just haven’t been able to crack the code without Scott.
I was one of the handful of people that bought that CD when it came out, and yeah, that was about my response listening to it. I think I got through it once, and ended up selling it back to the store I bought it from with some other CDs. It's been so long at this point, I don't remember ANYTHING about it, other than it definitely didn't feel like STP to me, and it didn't grab me.

Also, chances are I'd probably have a lot more nuanced view of it now, so I'd probably have to listen to it again, but I've got a feeling that it'd end up like Van Halen 3, and I'd still not like it.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:43 am I’m reading these last few posts from the two of you and laughing to myself (in a good way) - “Wow this is really well-reasoned, on point, and respectful. Am I on the right website?” :lol:
I can troll, but I prefer not to. If someone comes back with snark, I often (but not always) just quit responding. This is about the only place left in any form of social media where I even engage. I don't know anyone, yet I know you all. I mentioned at least once that this is my second account after being "gone" for a couple of years. In total, I've been around since 2008-10 (I don't remember) though I'm no power-user. Maybe I've just taken too much Xanax today. :D :D :D
Dee Dee King Diamond
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Dee Dee King Diamond »

Not a huge STP fan but since the band still touring was legitimately behind the music of that band, it makes sense that the guys still want to play their material and should. I enjoyed Robert DeLeo on Rick Beato's YouTube show.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

I love STP and never got to see them with Scott. I'd go see ScabTP...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
sirthx2
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by sirthx2 »

I hate the "They should pack it up" bullshit. It's their fucking job. "Hey, stop trying to make money!!" I'll take it a step further; The songs are their 'kids'. You've heard it a million times. The bros wrote the songs. They rehearsed and perfected them. Then Scott goes and offs himself, and I'm sure the bros are like; "Fuck, we're never going to see/hear our kids again and feel the energy of the crowd." Then they find this guy, who let's them experience their kids again. They get that same feeling they used to have and people come to see them. They're supposed to say 'no' to that because of some kind of principle or allegiance to a heroin addict that fucked everything up? Fuck that! Play 'Interstate' until your fingers come off!
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

They're oldies now. They're doing what oldies bands have been doing since they became oldies: Go out there and play the tunes like pros and cash the checks. The days of them being a vital, relevant band are over, which is okay! I'd say the same about the Stones, the Who, etc.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts