The forgotten 1988 Led Zeppelin reunion show

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

The forgotten 1988 Led Zeppelin reunion show

Post by BernieTaupson »

Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary 1988

https://youtu.be/_GeZs3LBYdY?si=jEbyGhfg8z90jDcB

JFC that “solo” during Stairway. You’d think they would have learnt something at the disaster Live Aid reunion, obviously not. The solo after Heartbreaker sounds like a shreds video! He plays Whole Lotta Love backwards and no one even knows what song it is until the vocals.

Plant is all over the place as well, sounds like he’s pushing out a turd.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Re: The forgotten 1988 Led Zeppelin reunion show

Post by FreddyFender »

I'll say this: as poor as he playing was at this time period, he had balls the size of church bells to go out there with such a raw, naked, almost clean sound.

He could have turned the gain way up and hit it with all the chorus and delay he could muster and it would have just sounded like he was doing what was in fashion... partially masking the bad state of his playing in the process.

He didn't do that. He and his Chuck Berry Johnny B Goode guitar tone went down with the ship. :lol:

Also doesn't help there almost no bass in the mix.
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

They should've just gotten Great White to play some covers.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

Both this and Live Aid, im sure they agreed to do it, and then could never find time to ever be in a room together to rehearse... and in Page's case never practiced any of it at all.

And I put the clean tone down to absolute stupidity and not even caring what his sound would be like beforehand, rather than a conscious decision to be a purist, or something.

I wonder if these 2 shows didnt scuttle a LZ reunion.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
ElectrickMagick
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by ElectrickMagick »

HueyRamone wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:47 am

Post-Live Aid the band actually did a little rehearsing with Tony Thompson of Power Station playing drums. According to Plant, John Paul Jones mostly concentrated on keyboards while Plant played bass. The rehearsals were cut short after Thompson was hurt in a car crash, and that was that.

But yes, the Live Aid performance should have dissuaded them from getting back together.
Michael Hotts Ghost
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Michael Hotts Ghost »

Plant does a good Marc Torien impression at 15:28
mrspeedgene
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrspeedgene »

Iremember seeing this whern it aired and thinking tht's fucking horrible
They laughed at their gods
And fought them in vain
So he turned his
back on them
And left them in pain
sirthx2
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by sirthx2 »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:30 am Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary 1988

https://youtu.be/_GeZs3LBYdY?si=jEbyGhfg8z90jDcB

JFC that “solo” during Stairway. You’d think they would have learnt something at the disaster Live Aid reunion, obviously not. The solo after Heartbreaker sounds like a shreds video!
Holy shit! I didn't listen to Heartbreaker but the Stairway solo absolutely sounds like a 'shreds' video as well. 100%. Hard to believe it's real.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by veritas »

Can someone please give me a convincing explanation as to how it's possible Jimmy's live playing is SO much worse than his studio playing?

I'm talking even during the 1970s shows, he sounds like a complete hack often -- can it really JUST be drugs and alcohol? every time? Or was he punching in his solos in the studio section by section?
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

ElectrickMagick wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:00 am\The rehearsals were cut short after Thompson was hurt in a car crash, and that was that.
"Hey, the guy who isnt part of the band and no one cares about cant do the 'reunion'!"

"Oh, well that means it's off, then, doesnt it. You know our rules. We lose a drummer, we dont continue."
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

luckily they more than redeemed themselves with the 2007 reunion at O2.
Ralph2
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Ralph2 »

True - No band at their age could have done the O2 show.

The sheer insanity of the pressure would have crushed 95% of the bands and they would have never maddest out of the rehearsal room.
HoldenSSV
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by HoldenSSV »

veritas wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:08 am Can someone please give me a convincing explanation as to how it's possible Jimmy's live playing is SO much worse than his studio playing?

I'm talking even during the 1970s shows, he sounds like a complete hack often -- can it really JUST be drugs and alcohol? every time? Or was he punching in his solos in the studio section by section?
Some of his studio work is hacky, too - Heartbreaker and Hot Dog come to mind.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
EvilRockPosh
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by EvilRockPosh »

HueyRamone wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:47 am Both this and Live Aid, im sure they agreed to do it, and then could never find time to ever be in a room together to rehearse... and in Page's case never practiced any of it at all.

And I put the clean tone down to absolute stupidity and not even caring what his sound would be like beforehand, rather than a conscious decision to be a purist, or something.

according to Jason they literally only had one quick runthrough a few days beforehand

@jasonbonham
2 years ago
I really hate the way my drums sound. We did a run through couple of days before and that was it
Nunose wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:59 am Goddamn this shit is exhausting...and people still believe his shit.

You can tell all the people who have been bought and paid for by big pharma

Kiss
Metal Sludge
etc..
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

HueyRamone wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:11 am
ElectrickMagick wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:00 am\The rehearsals were cut short after Thompson was hurt in a car crash, and that was that.
"Hey, the guy who isnt part of the band and no one cares about cant do the 'reunion'!"

"Oh, well that means it's off, then, doesnt it. You know our rules. We lose a drummer, we dont continue."
Plant's always been reluctant to reunite. Hell, it took Pagey to join up with Coverversion to finally get him to jump, and even once they did he decided to fuck Jonesy over for no good reason.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.