Anyone else watch the Bon Jovi doc on Hulu?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Cindy Buzzedimisa
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Anyone else watch the Bon Jovi doc on Hulu?

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

I'm about halfway through and zzzzzzzzz. I'm not expecting The Dirt set in New Jersey but this is just boring so far.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Re: Anyone else watch the Bon Jovi doc on Hulu?

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

It’s an ego trip.

Would’ve been nice to see the surviving original band sitting in one room reminiscing about old times.

Richie and Phil X having a proper yabber would’ve been a ripper.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Yep. It was good. Well done.

Only Bon Jovi releases I’ve owned are Crush and Have a Nice Day.

Oh. Someone gave me that absolutely horrendous This Left Seems Right. Fucking garbage. Either sold it, gave it away, or donated it to the library.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Didn't they do a doc around The Circle. Seem to remember it being pretty good. Also remember JBJ smoking through the whole thing
Neil Diamond Dave
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Neil Diamond Dave »

I thought it was good, maybe a bit too long - There's some unnecessary stuff in there.

I did find it fascinating that his first band was more of a blue-eyed soul cover band - No Hard Rock roots at all. He did not come up in Heavy Metal, but rather it basically came to him in that particular 80's MTV era. I couldn't believe that he wanted his first tour to be with The Cars or Bryan Adams, as that was more his style.

And Ritchie's description of how they capitalized on a very narrow time when Van Halen was off the market was very interesting.

Despite a bit of an ego flex, generally, I did think JBJ was genuinely vulnerable during his throat problems.
LitaStrauss
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by LitaStrauss »

daveg wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:10 pm Didn't they do a doc around The Circle. Seem to remember it being pretty good. Also remember JBJ smoking through the whole thing
It was called "When We Were Beautiful" and it was a lot more pretentious. I remember him smoking a lot during it too and sitting at a bar. It felt more arty. The Hulu documentary is much better and interesting. I didn't feel like it was pretentious. I really enjoyed the first 3 episodes. The 4th episode was the only one that got a bit boring and could have been edited down. Overall though, it was enjoyable.
Rocker4Real
Opening for Slaughter

Post by Rocker4Real »

The most interesting part for me was about Richie leaving. In a recent interview, he said he would have left a couple albums before that if he had to do it over.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Neil Diamond Dave wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:36 pm I thought it was good, maybe a bit too long - There's some unnecessary stuff in there.

I did find it fascinating that his first band was more of a blue-eyed soul cover band - No Hard Rock roots at all. He did not come up in Heavy Metal, but rather it basically came to him in that particular 80's MTV era.
He was basically a 3rd-rate Springsteen/Southside imitator, like most of the bar bands from his area.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Finished it this weekend. Never been a fan of the band and honestly still don’t get it. I remember watching their Behind The Music back in the day and they kept referring to the band as “The Organization” and they do it throughout this doc too. It’s douchey as fuck. You’re not a fucking mafia outfit, you’re a candy store pop rock band.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DangerZone »

Bon Jovi reminds me of Garth brooks - trying so hard to frame his legacy into something legit even though there’s no cock he won’t suck.

Who says you can’t go home, have a nice day, American reckoning - bottom of the barrel dogshit

And then have the gall to put down Ratt
Rocker4Real
Opening for Slaughter

Post by Rocker4Real »

At least Bon Jovi had a top 40 hit in the 2000s. Did Poison?
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DangerZone »

Rocker4Real wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:06 am At least Bon Jovi had a top 40 hit in the 2000s. Did Poison?
yes, Jon makes more money than you!

Jelly Roll had a top 40 hit & Garth brooks outsold the Beatles.
Backstreet Boys probably outsold them all!
Rocker4Real
Opening for Slaughter

Post by Rocker4Real »

It's about connecting with the fans for a longer period of time. Is Poison in the HOF?
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DangerZone »

exactly! We on the same side yo
kytepunches
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by kytepunches »

I’m not much of a Bon Jovi fan , but i watched it and thought it was good. It was interesting to see all his vocal struggles and contemplation of retirement. He does seem like a bit of a pompous jack off , but most lead singers do. But the show was very watchable.
TeslaFan
Recording Debut Album

Post by TeslaFan »

They should have reached out to the guy who narrated "Behind the Music" for MTV.
Just a regular guy who likes Metal
LSD69
Headlining Clubs

Post by LSD69 »

Neil Diamond Dave wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:36 pm And Ritchie's description of how they capitalized on a very narrow time when Van Halen was off the market was very interesting.
I concur.
SterileEyes1 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:25 am Never been a fan of the band and honestly still don’t get it. I remember watching their Behind The Music back in the day and they kept referring to the band as “The Organization” and they do it throughout this doc too. It’s douchey as fuck. You’re not a fucking mafia outfit, you’re a candy store pop rock band.
I concur
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

It’s a puff piece, to say the least.

I couldn’t stomach anymore bullshit and stopped watching a little past half-way through the second installment.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

DangerZone wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:13 am Bon Jovi reminds me of Garth brooks - trying so hard to frame his legacy into something legit even though there’s no cock he won’t suck.

Who says you can’t go home, have a nice day, American reckoning - bottom of the barrel dogshit

And then have the gall to put down Ratt
What's his beef with Ratt? Did they not go over/get booed when they opened for them?
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I mentioned this in the other thread about this topic, but the doc is missing some outside perspective - somebody from MTV, somebody from an opening act or even a member of 38 Special to talk about how their opener was suddenly the biggest band on the charts.

The Slippery explosion was treated like one big montage.

Could've gone more into the Sambora reunion at the HOF. That part seemed short. No behind-the-scenes rehearsals or anything like that. No discussion of what it was like for him to come in and suddenly be gone again.

Overall, I enjoyed it. Didn't really drag until the end. Felt like it was made by a director who wasn't a fan of the band. And sometimes you need to love (or hate) your subject when making a documentary.

That being said, it didn't have any glaring omissions, history rewritten out of order, or anything that would frustrate me (like docs and autobiographies often do). They didn't downplay Sambora's importance to the band. (They actually did the opposite.)

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Neil Diamond Dave
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Neil Diamond Dave »

LSD69 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:02 pm
Neil Diamond Dave wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:36 pm And Ritchie's description of how they capitalized on a very narrow time when Van Halen was off the market was very interesting.
I concur.
For what it's worth, I never thought about capitalizing on other bands' audiences while they were either hibernating or off the market. I always thought of Korn taking the Metallica audience away during that 96-99 area. This was during the Load/Napster Metallica era. Never got what the big deal with Korn was, until I saw Ritchie's quote and thought about other bands' sudden and unexplained rise.
Rocker4Real
Opening for Slaughter

Post by Rocker4Real »

One thing they didn't touch on was out BJ was one of the bands that set a blueprint for Hard Rock bands to have success on the pop charts. Many imitators wanted to be the next Bon Jovi after '86. It's also debatable how original BJ was. That's a reason they were kept out of the HOF for so long. They did make it cool for bands to do unplugged versions of their songs.