Alice Cooper is playing high school gyms now?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Alice Cooper is playing high school gyms now?

Post by BernieTaupson »

KISStian
Picking a Band Name

Re: Alice Cooper is playing high school gyms now?

Post by KISStian »

Meh. It's a 6,000 seater. Elton John, Def Leppard, AC/DC, Pantera, and KISS have all headlined there.
Velvis
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Velvis »

It literally says arena in the headline. I know my high school didn't have 2 sections of arena style seating and certainly it didn't hold 6k.
tooth

Post by tooth »

For an event that everyone will be standing, what fool is still buying seats on the floor after, say, the first 10/15 rows? Legit, I wised up to that 40 years ago after 1 time sitting back there.
BadDogWater
Headlining Clubs

Post by BadDogWater »

Is that the cafatorium?
VicStelly

Post by VicStelly »

Small arena or a field house.

I am not going to criticize anyone showing up to put on a live now in 2024. Good for Alice.
Playboyliquor59
Recording Debut Album

Post by Playboyliquor59 »

Not as prestigious as playing the whisky with 9 pay to play high school bands starting at 4pm
Fletch
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Fletch »

That’s quite a few empty seats. Last couple of times I’ve seen him (in a theater venue) the bottom/floor was crowded but the upper balcony was completely empty
KISStian
Picking a Band Name

Post by KISStian »

Fletch wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:20 pm That’s quite a few empty seats. Last couple of times I’ve seen him (in a theater venue) the bottom/floor was crowded but the upper balcony was completely empty
Alice hasn't really consistently sold out any size venue since Billion Dollar Babies and is generally a mid-size venue with plenty of seats available at the door kinda act. That said, Shep knows how to manage him to maximum profit. Alice is probably making more now than at any point in his career.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

Go look for Wheeling on a map and you would know drawing anyone there at all would be considered a success.
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
KISStian
Picking a Band Name

Post by KISStian »

ijwthstd wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:16 pm Go look for Wheeling on a map and you would know drawing anyone there at all would be considered a success.
It was the third largest city in West Virginia but, like many river cities in the rust belt, has been steadily declining for decades. It's now actually close to being designated a village and not even a census "city." True story. The thought in the early 70s was that by building a Civic Center/Sports Arena downtown, the downtown could be salvaged by drawing conventions, state high school tournaments, concerts and pro-sports. It's wild to me that minor league hockey has always thrived there. I guess it really is something about when there absolutely nothing else to do anywhere near. It also never helped, for concerts, that Wheeling is so close to Pittsburgh. It made an already super small market in BFE a true B-Market because for the most part it's not getting a show booked until a band has already played the downtown arena in Pittsburgh and/or the Pittsburgh area shed (Which is closer to the WV state line than it is the city limits of Pittsburgh) in Burgettstown.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

BTW that screenshot I took isn’t an hour before showtime, it’s twenty seconds before the lights went down. Place is half empty.
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:51 pm BTW that screenshot I took isn’t an hour before showtime, it’s twenty seconds before the lights went down. Place is half empty.
You're trying too hard.

KISS played there on their reunion tour in 1997. Powerman 5000 opened.
ElectrickMagick

Post by ElectrickMagick »

tooth wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:44 am For an event that everyone will be standing, what fool is still buying seats on the floor after, say, the first 10/15 rows? Legit, I wised up to that 40 years ago after 1 time sitting back there.
Standing? Not with that many bald spots. That's an old people show full of old people, and the only standing might be during "School's Out" and when people have to go to the bathroom.
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DangerZone »

I don’t understand the whole ‘make fun of an act cause they don’t sell out every show like Taylor swift’ mentality.

no one can stay anywhere near the top for very long, and this current climate is complete dogshit
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Valid point, in five years all these nostalgia acts will be dead. Eagles, Coop, Stones, Priest, enjoy it while you can. Either that or they’ll be all scabs and sons of the main guy.
Velvis

Post by Velvis »

DangerZone wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:59 am I don’t understand the whole ‘make fun of an act cause they don’t sell out every show like Taylor swift’ mentality.

no one can stay anywhere near the top for very long, and this current climate is complete dogshit
Especially from grown men posting on a hair metal forum in 2024.

I am not a huge Alice fan (nothing against him I'm just not super familiar with his catalog), but the guy is an iconic part of rock and roll and has been playing rock music successfully since 1968 and someone is going to snap a photo of a show audience they paid to see and then post it to a message board to attempt to make fun of the guy because its not a sold out stadium? Ok... :roll:
KISStian
Picking a Band Name

Post by KISStian »

NeonKnite wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:16 am
BernieTaupson wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:51 pm BTW that screenshot I took isn’t an hour before showtime, it’s twenty seconds before the lights went down. Place is half empty.
You're trying too hard.

KISS played there on their reunion tour in 1997. Powerman 5000 opened.
KISS were supposed to play there in late October of 1990 as well. They pulled out of the Wheeling, Baltimore and Lexington stops. Baltimore was cancelled outright but Winger and Slaughter performed in WV and KY and partial refunds were given. I suppose Paul needed some intermittent days of rest from the rib injury?
tooth

Post by tooth »

ElectrickMagick wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:23 am
tooth wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:44 am For an event that everyone will be standing, what fool is still buying seats on the floor after, say, the first 10/15 rows? Legit, I wised up to that 40 years ago after 1 time sitting back there.
Standing? Not with that many bald spots. That's an old people show full of old people, and the only standing might be during "School's Out" and when people have to go to the bathroom.
People are certainly standing.
https://youtu.be/k1cCoGODiwU?t=644
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

BernieTaupson wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:07 pm Valid point, in five years all these nostalgia acts will be dead. Eagles, Coop, Stones, Priest, enjoy it while you can. Either that or they’ll be all scabs and sons of the main guy.
Don't count on it. The Stones are still touring and the only exception I can think of, a huge band that stopped without a key member dying would be Sabbath.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Weird how the bleacher seats closest to the stage are all empty...
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

Love_Industry wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:32 am
BernieTaupson wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:07 pm Valid point, in five years all these nostalgia acts will be dead. Eagles, Coop, Stones, Priest, enjoy it while you can. Either that or they’ll be all scabs and sons of the main guy.
Don't count on it. The Stones are still touring and the only exception I can think of, a huge band that stopped without a key member dying would be Sabbath.
And that is only because Ozzy can't do it and the rest are not allowed to do it without him...
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Not sure what’s so shocking. Alice is generally a theater act now… so mostly 2000 seaters, unless he’s part of a package tour with the likes of Rob Zombie. So, when the promoter books him into a 6000 seater, and he draws his usual 1500 to 2000, it looks bad. He gets paid his guarantee just the same though. So basically, nothing to see here.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:49 am
And that is only because Ozzy can't do it and the rest are not allowed to do it without him...
They could go out as "Heaven and Headless Cross" with Tony Martin...
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
KISStian
Picking a Band Name

Post by KISStian »

WOLF wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:04 am
Not sure what’s so shocking. Alice is generally a theater act now… so mostly 2000 seaters, unless he’s part of a package tour with the likes of Rob Zombie. So, when the promoter books him into a 6000 seater, and he draws his usual 1500 to 2000, it looks bad. He gets paid his guarantee just the same though. So basically, nothing to see here.
The whole thread concept was a swing and a miss by BT. If anything, it takes a helluva act to sell any tickets in Wheeling West By God Virginia, and Alice did it.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

HueyRamone wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:10 am
El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:49 am

They could go out as "Heaven and Headless Cross" with Tony Martin...
They could, but after the Ozzy Sabbath reunión tours they are wealthy enough to not want to go out for the very little money a Tony Martin fronted band would generate.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

No one outside of this forum is jonesing for Tony Martin.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DangerZone »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:41 pm No one outside of this forum is jonesing for Tony Martin.
Tony Martin Sabbath is the best Sabbath
(Closely tied with ‘Born Again’)
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

:lol:

Guilty. I love Deep Sabbath.
KISStian
Picking a Band Name

Post by KISStian »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:41 pm No one outside of this forum is jonesing for Tony Martin.
Hell, not even Sludge wants that. This is the place to pine for a Born Again era tour though! :D