Saxon and New Old Artists

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

VicStelly
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Saxon and New Old Artists

Post by VicStelly »

One of the upsides to streaming is listening to artists you were aware of but for whatever reason never listened too.

I just discovered Saxon. Always knew of them. Never paid attention. Holy shit are they good. Just meat and potatoes old metal. No pretensions. And consistent too.

I am now a fan

What are some other bands you have finally got around to listening to during the streaming age?
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: Saxon and New Old Artists

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

VicStelly wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:56 am One of the upsides to streaming is listening to artists you were aware of but for whatever reason never listened too.

I just discovered Saxon. Always knew of them. Never paid attention. Holy shit are they good. Just meat and potatoes old metal. No pretensions. And consistent too.

I am now a fan

What are some other bands you have finally got around to listening to during the streaming age?
Well done sir! Power and the Glory is a desert island disc for sure...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
HoldenSSV
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by HoldenSSV »

VicStelly wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:56 amOne of the upsides to streaming is listening to artists you were aware of but for whatever reason never listened too.

I am now a fan

Pretty Maids. Pandemonium (2010) and Motherland (2013) specifically. I thought their 80s and 90s stuff sucked so I wrote them off until recently.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
VicStelly

Post by VicStelly »

HoldenSSV wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:00 am
VicStelly wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:56 amOne of the upsides to streaming is listening to artists you were aware of but for whatever reason never listened too.

I am now a fan

Pretty Maids. Pandemonium (2010) and Motherland (2013) specifically. I thought their 80s and 90s stuff sucked so I wrote them off until recently.
I will give them a listen. I, too, thought they sucked
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

VicStelly wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:56 am I just discovered Saxon. Always knew of them. Never paid attention. Holy shit are they good. Just meat and potatoes old metal. No pretensions. And consistent too.
I just saw them live a few weeks ago and they kicked ass.
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DangerZone »

Rhett Forrester.
He was a replacement singer in Riot
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Biff is so fucking monotone tho. My friends and I always joke about Biff and his note. If you get 3 notes out of him in a chorus, it's exceptional. If you have a 5 note range in an entire song, it's astonishing.

It's like: POWER AND THE GLORY~all one note. STOP GET OUT ~ one note. WHEELS OF STEEL ~2 notes, but only because he drops down on the second half of "Wheels", and even then it's just one step. DENIM AND LEATHER BROUGHT US ALL TOGETHER ~two notes, but only because "and" is a different note, and again, it's only one step down.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Sleek wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:23 pm Biff is so fucking monotone tho. My friends and I always joke about Biff and his note. If you get 3 notes out of him in a chorus, it's exceptional. If you have a 5 note range in an entire song, it's astonishing.

It's like: POWER AND THE GLORY~all one note. STOP GET OUT ~ one note. WHEELS OF STEEL ~2 notes, but only because he drops down on the second half of "Wheels", and even then it's just one step. DENIM AND LEATHER BROUGHT US ALL TOGETHER ~two notes, but only because "and" is a different note, and again, it's only one step down.
Maybe so but he's fucking Biff Byford so I'm cool with it. Better than trying to screech notes he can't reach...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:55 pm
Sleek wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:23 pm Biff is so fucking monotone tho. My friends and I always joke about Biff and his note. If you get 3 notes out of him in a chorus, it's exceptional. If you have a 5 note range in an entire song, it's astonishing.

Maybe so but he's fucking Biff Byford so I'm cool with it. Better than trying to screech notes he can't reach...
Isn’t he a total deadbeat dad?
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
VicStelly

Post by VicStelly »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:59 pm

Wait…aren’t we all?
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

VicStelly wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:07 am
HoldenSSV wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:00 am
I will give them a listen. I, too, thought they sucked
Wow. Someone who thinks Future World and RH&H suck but Pandemonium and Motherland are great, that's a first.
What do you think about Wake Up to the Real World and Kingmaker?
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:59 pm
Yes, Biff had 2 kids and was married and divorced when he was between 15 and 20 years old. The kids must be in their mid 50s now.
Think someone here mentioned that he has reconnected with one of the kids?
HoldenSSV
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by HoldenSSV »

Love_Industry wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:34 pm What do you think about Wake Up to the Real World and Kingmaker?
Disappointing.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

This didnt bother me as a kid, but I did listen to them recently-ish and yes, it was very annoying!

Not to be pedantic, but i think the "Your" in "Raise your glasses high" is a second note. Only 1 step down, but at least it's different. :P
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

HoldenSSV wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:16 am
Love_Industry wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:34 pm What do you think about Wake Up to the Real World and Kingmaker?
Disappointing.
Makes sense as you don't like RH&H and FW. Those are more in line with their early albums.

Planet Panic and Undress Your Madness may be your thing then.
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

DangerZone wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:22 am Rhett Forrester.
Did they ever find him?
I thought he disappeared a long time ago.
Killer singer.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:46 pm
Did they ever find him?
Killer singer.
Find him? He was killed in a carjacking.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

HueyRamone wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:53 pm
VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:46 pm
Did they ever find him?
Killer singer.
Find him? He was killed in a carjacking.
Did not know that 😩