AC/DC’s “Who Made Who” soundtrack album - my review

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

JinglesTheChristmasMouse
MSX Tour Support Act

AC/DC’s “Who Made Who” soundtrack album - my review

Post by JinglesTheChristmasMouse »

OK.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Re: AC/DC’s “Who Made Who” soundtrack album - my review

Post by Tommy »

Who Made Who is one of my favorite AC/DC songs. I'm probably alone on that, I just like it.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

I like the song as well. But it was one of the first AC/DC songs I heard.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Tommy wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:26 pm Who Made Who is one of my favorite AC/DC songs. I'm probably alone on that, I just like it.
One of the best after BIB for sure. Inject the Venom is another one.
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

I only want to hear Hell’s Bells on BIB.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

It's actually the Maximum Overdrive soundtrack, and is just about as shitty as the movie.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
KISStian
Picking a Band Name

Post by KISStian »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:07 pm It's actually the Maximum Overdrive soundtrack, and is just about as shitty as the movie.
Functioned as a bit of a commercial comeback of sorts. Helped get them out of a bit of a funk.
HoldenSSV
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by HoldenSSV »

The instrumentals are kinda cool.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

It was great intro to AC/DC.

I remember thinking BJ sounded weird on "Ride On."
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

love it.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

KISStian wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:06 pm
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:07 pm It's actually the Maximum Overdrive soundtrack, and is just about as shitty as the movie.
Functioned as a bit of a commercial comeback of sorts. Helped get them out of a bit of a funk.
Yeah looked it up and saw it sold 5 million. Wow.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
SW
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by SW »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:11 pm I remember thinking BJ sounded weird on "Ride On."
I first thought you were telling about getting BJ listening Ride On.
KISStian
Picking a Band Name

Post by KISStian »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:27 am
The title track got a lot of airplay but the genius move was re-releasing "You Shook Me All Night Long" as single and video. The initial release of that as a video was about a year before the MTV launch, and the new and improved video became the go to version of it whenever MTV wanted to play a track from BiB on the network. You have to remember that Flick of the Switch and Fly on the Wall were considered duds (compared to BiB and to a lesser degree FTATRWSY) and AC/DC were just coasting on fumes. Good, strong, sold out arena fumes, but new albums were just excuses to tour. They weren't doing anything.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

KISStian wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:32 am

The title track got a lot of airplay but the genius move was re-releasing "You Shook Me All Night Long" as single and video. The initial release of that as a video was about a year before the MTV launch, and the new and improved video became the go to version of it whenever MTV wanted to play a track from BiB on the network. You have to remember that Flick of the Switch and Fly on the Wall were considered duds (compared to BiB and to a lesser degree FTATRWSY) and AC/DC were just coasting on fumes.
Oh, I remember. That's what makes the 5 million in sales such a shock.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:16 am
KISStian wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:32 am You have to remember that Flick of the Switch and Fly on the Wall were considered duds (compared to BiB and to a lesser degree FTATRWSY) and AC/DC were just coasting on fumes.
Most of those 5 mil were after their 1990 Razors Edge comeback though. It was only Platinum until that very year. Still better than the previous stuudio albums that only went platinum with the remasters 2001. AC/DC were tanking almost as badly with Flick - Fly - Blow Up as Kiss were with Unmasked - Elder - Creatures a few years earlier. Only the overall climate was better for hard rock so they could do well on tour while Kiss didn't sell tix either.
KISStian
Picking a Band Name

Post by KISStian »

KISStian wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:32 am

The title track got a lot of airplay but the genius move was re-releasing "You Shook Me All Night Long" as single and video. The initial release of that as a video was about a year before the MTV launch, and the new and improved video became the go to version of it whenever MTV wanted to play a track from BiB on the network. You have to remember that Flick of the Switch and Fly on the Wall were considered duds (compared to BiB and to a lesser degree FTATRWSY) and AC/DC were just coasting on fumes.
Who Made Who was one of those buys that made people feel like they just got all they needed out of the BJ portion of the catalog one on cassette. IMHO, that's your 5 million in sales. You're at one of the 4 record stores in your local mall in 1987 and you see the four Brian Johnson AC/DC albums + Who Made Who, the consumer decision is made right there. People always talk about Razors Edge being the comeback, but WMW was the mini-comeback. It got them through the 80s.
KISStian
Picking a Band Name

Post by KISStian »

Love_Industry wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:59 am
KISStian wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:32 am You have to remember that Flick of the Switch and Fly on the Wall were considered duds (compared to BiB and to a lesser degree FTATRWSY) and AC/DC were just coasting on fumes.
Most of those 5 mil were after their 1990 Razors Edge comeback though. It was only Platinum until that very year. Still better than the previous stuudio albums that only went platinum with the remasters 2001. AC/DC were tanking almost as badly with Flick - Fly - Blow Up as Kiss were with Unmasked - Elder - Creatures a few years earlier. Only the overall climate was better for hard rock so they could do well on tour while Kiss didn't sell tix either.
Back in Black was still going Platinum on its own (on average) each year though. KISS never had that with Alive! or Destroyer. So, even if new AC/DC was dead on arrival, they were still on your local rock radio station 30 times per day with songs from a few years ago and were definitely going to be able to sell out your local minor league hockey barn. Had to be frustrating to go into label meetings and see that you have one of of the greatest selling albums of all time but nothing since it came out has done much of anything in comparison.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

KISStian wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:44 pm

Back in Black was still going Platinum on its own (on average) each year though. KISS never had that with Alive! or Destroyer. So, even if new AC/DC was dead on arrival, they were still on your local rock radio station 30 times per day with songs from a few years ago and were definitely going to be able to sell out your local minor league hockey barn. Had to be frustrating to go into label meetings and see that you have one of of the greatest selling albums of all time but nothing since it came out has done much of anything in comparison.
Good point, but that didn't save Meat Loaf despite selling a ton of BOOH albums during the 80s. I guess those songs were also on the radio regularly but can't recall any big arena tours. I guess the difference is that there was never a backlash against AC/DC, they just kind of became old man's hard rock like Sabbath and Heep. Meanwhile Kiss and Meat Loaf became seriously uncool at least for rock fans around 1980.
KISStian
Picking a Band Name

Post by KISStian »

Love_Industry wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:21 am
KISStian wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:44 pm

Good point, but that didn't save Meat Loaf despite selling a ton of BOOH albums during the 80s. I guess those songs were also on the radio regularly but can't recall any big arena tours. I guess the difference is that there was never a backlash against AC/DC, they just kind of became old man's hard rock like Sabbath and Heep. Meanwhile Kiss and Meat Loaf became seriously uncool at least for rock fans around 1980.
Good analogy with Meat, but like you said, even as much as Bat out of Hell sold, it was more of a novelty like Dr. Hook or the Grease sndtrk. It didn't get the rock radio airplay that BiB did. Boston's 1st album might be closer to what BiB was doing for them. AC/DC are lucky they didn't collapse like Ted Nugent, whose career torpedoed like his old sing Meat. Of course Ted was like KISS in that he didn't have a BiB. As much as he'd like you to believe Gonzo was the biggest live album in history, it was more along the lines of a big KISS album. Nonetheless, Nuge was pinball machine and stadium headline huge for a hot minute and within a decade he was a punchline too.