AC/DC’s “Blow Up Your Video” - my review

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

JinglesTheChristmasMouse
MSX Tour Support Act

AC/DC’s “Blow Up Your Video” - my review

Post by JinglesTheChristmasMouse »

Below average.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: AC/DC’s “Blow Up Your Video” - my review

Post by HueyRamone »

Yeah, Heatseeker was the worst leadoff song they'd had up to that point.

Even the title sucks. "Blow up your video"? For an audio album? What does that mean?
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

The top Philly rock station would only play it to make fun of it. AC/DC both won and lost the 80s within a decade.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

It ended their run of great Brian albums. Fly on the Wall was their final bow. They never released a good “album” again. Just a few good tunes here and there.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

I think it’s terrible but I hate The Razor’s Edge even more, despite having one classic.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:55 am I think it’s terrible but I hate The Razor’s Edge even more, despite having one classic.
....and it went downhill from that until Black Ice.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I was getting hooked on hard rock in '87-'88. So this was my introduction to AC/DC. Thought they were some C-level band not worth caring much about.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
KISStian
Picking a Band Name

Post by KISStian »

They were in a post Back in Black rut, basically ever since BiB but this one kinda epitomizes the whole formula. Strong lead off single. A couple of other decent singles. Absolute filler the rest of the way. Not really garbage like KISS filler but nothing memorable at all. Very much like 80s Ramones filler. Tour. Rinse. Repeat. See also, Fly on the Wall, Ballbreaker, Stiff Upper Lip.
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

love it.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

KISStian wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:03 pm They were in a post Back in Black rut, basically ever since BiB but this one kinda epitomizes the whole formula. Strong lead off single. A couple of other decent singles. Absolute filler the rest of the way. Not really garbage like KISS filler but nothing memorable at all. Very much like 80s Ramones filler. Tour. Rinse. Repeat. See also, Fly on the Wall, Ballbreaker, Stiff Upper Lip.
Fly on the Wall was their last GREAT album. Basically pure shit after that. Who Made Who was an ok song. Thunderstruck was ok. Rest was trash.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
KISStian
Picking a Band Name

Post by KISStian »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:39 am
KISStian wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:03 pm They were in a post Back in Black rut, basically ever since BiB but this one kinda epitomizes the whole formula. Strong lead off single. A couple of other decent singles. Absolute filler the rest of the way. Not really garbage like KISS filler but nothing memorable at all. Very much like 80s Ramones filler. Tour. Rinse. Repeat. See also, Fly on the Wall, Ballbreaker, Stiff Upper Lip.
Fly on the Wall was their last GREAT album. Basically pure shit after that. Who Made Who was an ok song. Thunderstruck was ok. Rest was trash.
I actually LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Fly on the Wall but I rarely meet anyone who feels the same. :mrgreen: I also think One on One is Cheap Trick's best record, so what do I know.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Fairly average apart from the two singles. "Heatseeker" is quite good, IMO, and "That's the Way I Wanna Rock N' Roll" is a decent followup, I guess. The rest just sounds like AC/DC on autopilot. They would rebound with The Razors Edge.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
JizzySynatra

Post by JizzySynatra »

Mean Streak was a good track. Great groove.
p86

Post by p86 »

I really enjoy this album! I like every track on here except This Means War and That's the Way I Wanna Rock n Roll.

Two's Up is awesome and there's a lot of mid-tempo numbers that just seems to groove nicely. I'd give it 8/10.
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

love "Blow Up Your Video."

aside from the singles, which were great, I also dug "Ruff Stuff", "Nick Of Time" and "Two's Up."
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

KISStian wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:43 am I actually LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Fly on the Wall but I rarely meet anyone who feels the same. :mrgreen: I also think One on One is Cheap Trick's best record, so what do I know.
whiteowl yesterday wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:02 am love it.
alleyrulez wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:07 pm love "Blow Up Your Video."

aside from the singles, which were great, I also dug "Ruff Stuff", "Nick Of Time" and "Two's Up."
Agreed... one of my favorite AC/DC albums, even though I like 'em all. "Ruff Stuff", "Heatseaker", "Go Zone" and "That's The Way I Wanna Rock N Roll" are my favorite tracks off this one.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
uwec95
Headlining Clubs

Post by uwec95 »

Decent album, great tour.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

p86 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:18 pm I really enjoy this album! I like every track on here except This Means War and That's the Way I Wanna Rock n Roll.

Two's Up is awesome and there's a lot of mid-tempo numbers that just seems to groove nicely. I'd give it 8/10.

I never understood all the love for Fly on here. I felt Video and Razor’s were big improvements over Fly and Flick. Shit like Sink The Pink was lame. Flick is just flaccid. I’ll take Heatseeker anytime
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:24 pm
p86 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:18 pm I really enjoy this album! I like every track on here except This Means War and That's the Way I Wanna Rock n Roll.

I never understood all the love for Fly on here. I felt Video and Razor’s were big improvements over Fly and Flick. Shit like Sink The Pink was lame. Flick is just flaccid. I’ll take Heatseeker anytime
I like Flick Of The Switch a lot (Phil Rudd's drumming gives it a boost) and I think Blow Up Your Video is OK, mainly because of the two singles. Fly On The Wall is the real dud of AC/DC 80s releases. Unlistenable. I love AC/DC and I don't like a single song on FOTW.
KISStian
Picking a Band Name

Post by KISStian »

I've not seen much love for Fly. Switch is the MC94 of the catalog here on Sludge.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Fly is their 3rd best Brian release. Flick is close 4th. After that it was the Crue formula. 1 good song per album.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

KISStian wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:53 am

I've not seen much love for Fly. Switch is the MC94 of the catalog here on Sludge.
Indeed. But I am among those who prefer Fly. Best, or least weak, album between BiB and Black Ice.
KISStian
Picking a Band Name

Post by KISStian »

Love_Industry wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:35 am
KISStian wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:53 am

Indeed. But I am among those who prefer Fly. Best, or least weak, album between BiB and Black Ice.
Same. The songs were catchier than those on Flick or FTATR but not quite as "generic" as what would come. I'm not a Razors Edge hater though. That album gets BLASTED here.
KISStian
Picking a Band Name

Post by KISStian »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:31 am Fly is their 3rd best Brian release. Flick is close 4th. After that it was the Crue formula. 1 good song per album.
I'd give them 2-3 strongish songs. They were always the singles/&/or the lead off tracks, side closers or side openers. Meaning, they definitely knew which songs were filler gibberish and the 2 - 3 that weren't. IMHO the filler material on stuff like Ballbreaker, Stiff Upper Lip and Rock or Bust is just unlistenable.