20 years ago, my bandmate knocked out Glenn Danzig

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

20 years ago, my bandmate knocked out Glenn Danzig

Post by Turner Coates »

A true tale of rock 'n' roll infamy.
Editor's note: This article originally appeared in 2014 to mark 10 years since the incident. We're republishing it in honor of the 20th anniversary.

It's been 10 years since "the punch," and I'd be lying if I told you I hated it. You see, I was in local punk act North Side Kings, and now-legendary Glenn Danzig slayer Danny Marianino was my bandmate in 2004 (and is still my friend today). I was there in Tuba City, on the Navajo Nation, and what follows is the truth.

For me, it was a thing of ridiculous beauty. I never liked the Misfits — Danzig's legendary horror-punk group — growing up. I found them too boring, cartoonish and repetitive to take seriously. I think even less of Danzig's solo material. So, in my opinion at the time, Glenn Danzig was a joke, and the opportunity to open for him was merely another notch on the gig belt for me. In 2004, North Side Kings were on the cusp of our best work, and even if the band sounded nothing like Danzig, we knew the kids of the Navajo Nation would be into it. Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to find out.

On the day of the show, I drove up to Tuba City with Rudy "Rude-T" Reilly, who often traveled with us and did our sound. We followed the rest of the band, which included guitar players Ryan Butler and Luke Lanham, drummer Richie Gallen and a few other friends who were in a van we borrowed for the trip. Once we got to the venue, things started to unravel.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/music/1 ... ut-6593876
Fill your life with the best you can.
Chip Z'Hoy

Re: 20 years ago, my bandmate knocked out Glenn Danzig

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

One memory I have of IggyPWEI was that he'd blow his stack if you said Danzig got "knocked the fuck out."

I think in general he was displeased with Danzig becoming a meme. Like he was ever taken seriously.

Danzig, I mean.

RIP Iggy
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:28 pm RIP Iggy
god, I miss that guy.
SeniorGrande
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by SeniorGrande »

Anyone ever read this book?

When the clip of Danny’s first round KO of Danzig hit YouTube, his fate was sealed. The hate mail came pouring in. Emails, message boards, comment sections, and, eventually, social media. So much so that Danny got an entire book just from the reactions his punch heard round the punk rock world garnered. People were livid and they did not hesitate to voice their displeasure with Danny. Daily barrages of badly spelled, grammatically challenged emails began to flood his inbox. Message boards melted down with virulently-worded threats of violence and death. The gatekeepers of punk rocked gasped, shuddered, and clutched their pearls in outraged indignation.
https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Ever-Punch- ... 0991344731
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

This article reeks of a guy that still wears his high school varsity jacket.

How'd your 15 minutes work out for your band, The Side Kings or whatever?
aznsquirt
Headlining Clubs

Post by aznsquirt »

killeverything wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:36 pm This article reeks of a guy that still wears his high school varsity jacket.

They (The North Side Kings), didn't get a lot out of it, and broke up not long after. The "puncher" wrote a book; I genuinely wonder how much he made off of that.

Side note: A friend of mine who was involved in that same scene swears on his life (and I completely trust him) that the following occured:

He was at some local hardcore/metal gig, and at some point word got out that Danzig showed up.

Apparently, Danzig was travelling from gig to gig, and for whatever reason, decided to show up to a local show. Cool, right?

Well, apparently he just rolled in with this tour bus, and once a crowd formed, he set up a bench press (in the parking lot), did a couple of sets, and then took off.

I know how absolutely insane that sounds, but the guy who witnessed it (and told me the story) has never lied to me about a single thing (that I know of) in 25 years.
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

killeverything wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:36 pm This article reeks of a guy that still wears his high school varsity jacket.

If you read the article, you'd know. 🤣
Metal Judge
Headlining Clubs

Post by Metal Judge »

Great read. Glad he got what he had coming to him.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

and yet your band did nothing with this fame..massive failure
Mr Danzig actually won that war…band still does very well and doing nonstop Misfit reunion cash machine in stadiums- arenas- and prime spots on festivals

Even that girl that spits on cocks will have crossover success

Kind of sad your band actually has less success than Stonebreed. Celebrate 20 year failure every year..yippee!
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
metalslayer
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by metalslayer »

aznsquirt wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:13 pm

They (The North Side Kings), didn't get a lot out of it, and broke up not long after. The "puncher" wrote a book; I genuinely wonder how much he made off of that.

Side note: A friend of mine who was involved in that same scene swears on his life (and I completely trust him) that the following occured:

He was at some local hardcore/metal gig, and at some point word got out that Danzig showed up.

Apparently, Danzig was travelling from gig to gig, and for whatever reason, decided to show up to a local show. Cool, right?

Well, apparently he just rolled in with this tour bus, and once a crowd formed, he set up a bench press (in the parking lot), did a couple of sets, and then took off.

I know how absolutely insane that sounds, but the guy who witnessed it (and told me the story) has never lied to me about a single thing (that I know of) in 25 years.
If that is true, that is amazing… your buddy might not be lying, but possibly joking with you
aznsquirt
Headlining Clubs

Post by aznsquirt »

metalslayer wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:36 pm

If that is true, that is amazing… your buddy might not be lying, but possibly joking with you
You'd think so. It just seems to bonkers. He swears on it, though, and I've never seen him once "fuck around" like that with something.

The funny thing is that if there's a single person you could hear that about and believe it, it's him.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

aznsquirt wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:48 pm

You'd think so. It just seems to bonkers. He swears on it, though, and I've never seen him once "fuck around" like that with something.

The funny thing is that if there's a single person you could hear that about and believe it, it's him.
Initial reaction is doubt and then you remember it's Glenn Danzig and then it makes sense.
aznsquirt
Headlining Clubs

Post by aznsquirt »

Tommy wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:58 pm
aznsquirt wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:48 pm

Initial reaction is doubt and then you remember it's Glenn Danzig and then it makes sense.
My gut instinct is that he probably wanted to just do an impromptu "appearance" and probably did some photos/autographs and shit, and threw the bench press in on top of it.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

SeniorGrande wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:54 pm
When the clip of Danny’s first round KO of Danzig hit YouTube, his fate was sealed. The hate mail came pouring in. Emails, message boards, comment sections, and, eventually, social media. So much so that Danny got an entire book just from the reactions his punch heard round the punk rock world garnered. People were livid and they did not hesitate to voice their displeasure with Danny. Daily barrages of badly spelled, grammatically challenged emails began to flood his inbox. Message boards melted down with virulently-worded threats of violence and death. The gatekeepers of punk rocked gasped, shuddered, and clutched their pearls in outraged indignation.
https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Ever-Punch- ... 0991344731

This sounds like an awful read. There was a short period when people tried to turn online flame wars into books. It's like trying to turn McDonald's into fine dining. It's just not designed for that.

The worst example was the half-assed sequel to the "Kiss and Tell" book about Ace Frehley.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I never knew the infamous punch happened in Tuba City. Such a weird place in the middle of nowhere for that to go down.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:42 am I never knew the infamous punch happened in Tuba City. Such a weird place in the middle of nowhere for that to go down.
yeah, no kidding! I drove through there last summer coming from Telluride back to Flagstaff and it is in the middle of way past f*cking NOWHERE!! No idea people gigged around there.
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
parasite74
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by parasite74 »

Danzig definitely had it coming.
kingbrian74
Headlining Clubs

Post by kingbrian74 »

Happy anniversary!!

I actually bought the North Side Kings album off iTunes after this happened. Danzig seems like a douche, so I wanted to support the band that dropped him, and also, I dug the ‘you’re still an asshole’ song clip (later learned to be from Right or Wrong) from the end of the video that was posted.
ElectricBallroom
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by ElectricBallroom »

Are you still in touch with Rudy? He’s an acquaintance, and a friend of several friends. I understand that he’s been having a really rough time of it medically, and has left the valley to live in Colorado and be closer to family.
long live the Electric Ballroom
tooth

Post by tooth »

The internet wasn't then what it is now. Not sure if the Kings could have "cashed in" like, say, the hawk tuah girl. Plus, like the article stated, most of the punks were "team danzig" as all you really knew was that someone punched Danzig before Danzig punched them. I do remember clicking through to watch it & you maybe had to pay to see it? Or at least give your info, which I wasn't doing. I still don't think I've seen it as I really didn't give a sh!t about it then & certainly don't care about it now.
Danzig in the Dark
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

Danzig needs punched more often.
ImageImage
jens
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by jens »

tooth wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:02 amPlus, like the article stated, most of the punks were "team danzig" as all you really knew was that someone punched Danzig before Danzig punched them.
Really? I remember the whole web making fun of the postering muscled up Napoleon.
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

Facts
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

Turner Coates wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:26 pm A true tale of rock 'n' roll infamy.
Editor's note: This article originally appeared in 2014 to mark 10 years since the incident. We're republishing it in honor of the 20th anniversary.

It's been 10 years since "the punch," and I'd be lying if I told you I hated it. You see, I was in local punk act North Side Kings, and now-legendary Glenn Danzig slayer Danny Marianino was my bandmate in 2004 (and is still my friend today). I was there in Tuba City, on the Navajo Nation, and what follows is the truth.

For me, it was a thing of ridiculous beauty. I never liked the Misfits — Danzig's legendary horror-punk group — growing up. I found them too boring, cartoonish and repetitive to take seriously. I think even less of Danzig's solo material. So, in my opinion at the time, Glenn Danzig was a joke, and the opportunity to open for him was merely another notch on the gig belt for me. In 2004, North Side Kings were on the cusp of our best work, and even if the band sounded nothing like Danzig, we knew the kids of the Navajo Nation would be into it. Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to find out.

On the day of the show, I drove up to Tuba City with Rudy "Rude-T" Reilly, who often traveled with us and did our sound. We followed the rest of the band, which included guitar players Ryan Butler and Luke Lanham, drummer Richie Gallen and a few other friends who were in a van we borrowed for the trip. Once we got to the venue, things started to unravel.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/music/1 ... ut-6593876

The North Shit Kings
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
tooth

Post by tooth »

jens wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:29 am
tooth wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:02 amPlus, like the article stated, most of the punks were "team danzig" as all you really knew was that someone punched Danzig before Danzig punched them.
Really? I remember the whole web making fun of the postering muscled up Napoleon.
Probably, as I'm sure I had no clue as to what "the whole web" even was, at the time. I'm remembering it basing it on my local "scene" people, as I was playing out & hanging out a bunch when this went down.
Grendel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Grendel »

Im sure this dude's book will be fascinating!
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Learn the concept of keep your mouth shut or you will remained foed.
killdrum
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by killdrum »

Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Fill your life with the best you can.
aznsquirt
Headlining Clubs

Post by aznsquirt »

I wonder what ever happened to "KICK HIS ASS.... KICK HIS FUCKIN' ASSSSS" chick.
StateOfShock
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by StateOfShock »

That dude was way too large for Danzig to push him.