WHAT SAY YOU … Did Grunge Really Kill Hair Metal? The Final Answer(s) from The Stars!

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

WHAT SAY YOU … Did Grunge Really Kill Hair Metal? The Final Answer(s) from The Stars!

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

WHAT SAY YOU …
Did Grunge Really Kill Hair Metal? The Final Answer(s) from The Stars!
#grunge #hairmetal #whokilledwho #seattle #hollywood #80s #90s #didgrungekillhairmetal #hairbands #herewegoagain #kix #nightranger #ratt #laguns #queensryche #cathouse #mtv #hbb #headbangersball #rikitrachtman #eddietrunk #kaneroberts #gilbyclarke #markslaughter #stephenpearcy #phillewis #laguns #vinnieappice #jackrussell #greatwhite #bobbyblotzer #sludge #johncorabi #kaneroberts #slaughter #greatwhite #metalsludge
https://metalsludge.tv/what-say-you-did ... the-stars/

$ludge
Rocker4Real
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Re: WHAT SAY YOU … Did Grunge Really Kill Hair Metal? The Final Answer(s) from The Stars!

Post by Rocker4Real »

Did Alternative/Pop Punk/Nu-Metal kill Grunge?
StateOfShock
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: WHAT SAY YOU … Did Grunge Really Kill Hair Metal? The Final Answer(s) from The Stars!

Post by StateOfShock »

I have said it for decades now:

Metallica's Black Album put them in the grave and grunge covered them with dirt.
Fat_Elvis
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Fat_Elvis »

The gatekeepers (MTV) killed hair metal.
MotleyKaos
Headlining Clubs

Post by MotleyKaos »

This topic should be the next "Who Killed WCW?" documentary for VICE. We can get The Rock to weigh in again!

Who killed hair metal?

Was it Kurt Cobain?

Kurt Loder?

Chef?

The 1989 Denver Broncos?
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

I think we can all mostly agree that it needed to go away..or at least cut all the dead weight. The best bands still moved on, and there were some that plugged along with some some moderate success into the 90's (Firehouse, Tesla)

I do believe that video for Teen Spirit was probably the turning point. It was heavy, dark...was close enough to hard rock that it didn't alienate rock fans. And that opening riff was/is still incredible every time I hear it.

I got the music, but never got the whole "let's be pissed off at the world/everything is dark' thing.
whammybar
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by whammybar »

Fashion and trends change every few years, it's just a natural part of the music business.
Silentbutdeadly
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by Silentbutdeadly »

By the time “Grunge” came along “Hair Metal” was on about their 5th generation of bands copying the VH formula; ie. obnoxious front man fronting a guitar driven band. There was next to no creativity as we’d seen it all before a thousand times. The Seattle bands filled the void as something different.

In retrospect a lot of the mid to late 80’s stuff is just dreadful, to my ears. A few bands stood well above the rest of a largely forgettable era.

Same can be said for most eras of popular music though.
LurkingAtWork
Recording Your Demo

Post by LurkingAtWork »

The Chronic killed Rock. It hung around on life support for a few years, wimpy, room temperature acts like Oasis and Maroon 5 scoring some hits but the writing was on the wall. Hip Hop has dominated everything for 3 decades now.
TeslaFan
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TeslaFan »

Metal is coming back soon. I don’t care if you call me crazy. We will all be wearing acid wash jeans, hair long and teased up with Aqua-Net( those of us who still have hair), Members Only will be all the rage. Bands like Poison, AC/DC and Ratt will be at the top of the charts. In a year, rap music will all but die. Taylor Swift will be a has been. Streaming sucks and it will die. Sam Goody and Musicland will be in comeback mode. The place to hang will be The Mall. I feel it. It’s just time.
Just a regular guy who likes Metal
DonJuanDeMarco
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Goddamn they don't make em' like they used to.
Cassidy: Fuckin' 80's man, best shit ever !
Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Bet'chr ass man, Guns N' Roses! Rules.
Cassidy: Crue!
Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Yeah!
Cassidy: Def Lep!
Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Then that Cobain pussy had to come around & ruin it all.
Cassidy: Like theres something wrong with just wanting to have a good time?
Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: I'll tell you somethin', I hate the fuckin' 90's.
Cassidy: Fuckin' 90's sucked.
Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Fuckin' 90's sucked.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Wild Obsession
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Wild Obsession »

Danger Danger "Screw It" CD is what "killed" Hair Metal for me.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

I love The Wrestler but always found this narrative weird.

Did a bunch of Poison and Ratt fans burn their Poison and Ratt CDs and cassettes to make room for Nevermind and Ten?

Trends come and go. Same as it ever was. Nothing really “killed grunge” either. It had its time, and that was that.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide”
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

"Stars." Chuckle.
Wild Obsession wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:35 am Tony Martin Black Sabbath is on the level of Gary Cherone Van Halen.
Velvis

Post by Velvis »

whammybar wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:56 am Fashion and trends change every few years, it's just a natural part of the music business.
This 100%.

Most people change and move on with their lives. (obviously this place is an exception)

If you were 13 in 1983, ten years later you have finished college. You aren't necessarily looking to see what Motley Crue is up to.

Kids who were 13 in 1993 werent looking for bands that had been around 10 years already.

It had nothing to do with grunge (the music) or grunge (the image) it was just a new generation of kids looking for "their" music.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Shitty, 3rd generation, copy cat, formulaic hair metal killed hair metal. People got sick of the same old same old. 1st single = mid-tempo rocker; 2nd single = power ballad; 3rd single = fast rocker; 4th single (if applicable) = 2nd ballad. Same clothes, same stage moves and banter, etc. Grunge just happened to be the readily available side chick.
Tyketto Meniketti
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by Tyketto Meniketti »

LurkingAtWork wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:17 pm The Chronic killed Rock. It hung around on life support for a few years, wimpy, room temperature acts like Oasis and Maroon 5 scoring some hits but the writing was on the wall. Hip Hop has dominated everything for 3 decades now.
Hard to fathom. There are so many AWFUL hip-hop acts that make Nelson appear to be hall of famers.

There's never been a backlash against that genre like what happened in hard rock. Basically, sweeping up Def Leppard, Tesla, Journey and other mainstream rock acts with deserving bands like LA Guns, label them as "hair bands," and dumped them all in the radio trash bin. Worked in radio at the time and the backlash was swift AND WIDE.

A few like Firehouse and even Bon Jovi had a couple radio hits. But Warrant with the stellar Dog Eat Dog, among others, had no chance at all.

Makes no sense. Nobody labeled Avett Bros, Mumford & Sons and most of the Bro Country groups as "hair bands," even though they all have ridiculous uniforms of bushy beards, horn rim glasses, not to mention a trite formula.

The absolutely terrible hip-hop acts that can't hold a tune live, rely on tracks, mumble and frankly sound like garbage aren't really weeded out. Instead, you get these festivals like Dreamfest filled with a couple good performers and 90% talent-less rubbish.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

TeslaFan wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:35 pm Metal is coming back soon. I don’t care if you call me crazy. We will all be wearing acid wash jeans, hair long and teased up with Aqua-Net( those of us who still have hair), Members Only will be all the rage. Bands like Poison, AC/DC and Ratt will be at the top of the charts. In a year, rap music will all but die. Taylor Swift will be a has been. Streaming sucks and it will die. Sam Goody and Musicland will be in comeback mode. The place to hang will be The Mall. I feel it. It’s just time.
In that case, can we bring back Aladdin's Castle and Tilt Arcade, too, while we're at it? Can't bring back the 80's without a video arcade!
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
TeslaFan

Post by TeslaFan »

dmbrocker wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:56 pm
TeslaFan wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:35 pm Metal is coming back soon. I don’t care if you call me crazy. We will all be wearing acid wash jeans, hair long and teased up with Aqua-Net( those of us who still have hair), Members Only will be all the rage. Bands like Poison, AC/DC and Ratt will be at the top of the charts. In a year, rap music will all but die. Taylor Swift will be a has been. Streaming sucks and it will die. Sam Goody and Musicland will be in comeback mode. The place to hang will be The Mall. I feel it. It’s just time.
In that case, can we bring back Aladdin's Castle and Tilt Arcade, too, while we're at it? Can't bring back the 80's without a video arcade!
That too. DigDug, Astroids, Space Invaders, and Galaga. Save all your quarters.
Just a regular guy who likes Metal
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

WOLF wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:43 pm Shitty, 3rd generation, copy cat, formulaic hair metal killed hair metal. People got sick of the same old same old. 1st single = mid-tempo rocker; 2nd single = power ballad; 3rd single = fast rocker; 4th single (if applicable) = 2nd ballad. Same clothes, same stage moves and banter, etc. Grunge just happened to be the readily available side chick.
Isn’t that more the record company suits and the powers at MTV formula than the bands? The Grunge guys all had the same image. They also had a music formula that worked as did the rap artists. Why do we bust on the hairbands for it but not the other genres?
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

WOLF wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:43 pm Shitty, 3rd generation, copy cat, formulaic hair metal killed hair metal. People got sick of the same old same old. 1st single = mid-tempo rocker; 2nd single = power ballad; 3rd single = fast rocker; 4th single (if applicable) = 2nd ballad. Same clothes, same stage moves and banter, etc. Grunge just happened to be the readily available side chick.
Add to that classic bands making weak records and / or losing key members in the 1990s and you have the Great Hair Metal Suicide.
sirthx2
Recording Debut Album

Post by sirthx2 »

Hair metal killed Hair metal.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

sirthx2 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:56 am Hair metal killed Hair metal.
Bret Michaels screwed Bret Michaels.
DonJuanDeMarco
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:34 pm I love The Wrestler but always found this narrative weird.
Randy the Ram was an 80's wrestler himself that went from playing arenas to living in a trailer playing dives. Plus, he had the long hair and listened to 80's rock. I always took the movie as a close relative to what happened to a lot of bands from that time.

I guess the real answer is the 90's killed the 80's! We are focused on the music here, but TV shows changed too. Cassettes and VHS got replaced with CD's and DVD's. Phone and computer technology changed. The cereal aisle changed. You name it. The list goes on and on.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Domino
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Domino »

of course grunge killed Hair Metal. And as for every trend it was well decided from someone above.... it was time to stop people party and enjoy life, with fear and depression you can control the mass much better!
that bitch bends over and i forget my name
Neil Diamond Dave
Recording Debut Album

Post by Neil Diamond Dave »

I remember getting both Janes "Nothing's Shocking" and Soundgarden's "Louder Than Love" on the same day and thinking this was the future. Big, glitzy, pretentious corporate rock was going to be over soon. I also remember getting Metallica's "Master of Puppets" and Slayer's "Reign in Blood" a little before those and thinking, death was coming to big, glitzy, pretentious corporate rock soon.

And even though GNR turned into big corporate rock, I do believe they started out spitting in the face of it all, and were a big part of the start of the funeral parade.

I think it was a slow funeral from Thrash/GNR to Alt to Grunge. Nirvana was just the keystone flag that was finally planted at the end.
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

Domino wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:07 am of course grunge killed Hair Metal. And as for every trend it was well decided from someone above.... it was time to stop people party and enjoy life, with fear and depression you can control the mass much better!
Who decided?
ImageImage
Tyketto Meniketti
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by Tyketto Meniketti »

Neil Diamond Dave wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:00 am I remember getting both Janes "Nothing's Shocking" and Soundgarden's "Louder Than Love" on the same day and thinking this was the future. Big, glitzy, pretentious corporate rock was going to be over soon. I also remember getting Metallica's "Master of Puppets" and Slayer's "Reign in Blood" a little before those and thinking, death was coming to big, glitzy, pretentious corporate rock soon.

And even though GNR turned into big corporate rock, I do believe they started out spitting in the face of it all, and were a big part of the start of the funeral parade.

I think it was a slow funeral from Thrash/GNR to Alt to Grunge. Nirvana was just the keystone flag that was finally planted at the end.
Slayer didn't kill anything popular. They're in a totally different scene. The tuneless, hookless scene. Metallica, Anthrax and the like obviously crossed over. Slayer never did. They had nothing to do with radio stations/MTV cutting off Def Leppard and Great White videos cold.

As noted above, every genre has it's formula. 80s hard rock got (gets) bagged on worse than most. Only disco had it worse.
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

It was a cold night on September 29, 1991, when 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' debuted on MTV. By the next morning, the proverbial writing was on the wall for hair metal. No more puffy hair, no more pink guitars—the landscape of music had changed overnight.
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Tyketto Meniketti wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:34 pm
Slayer didn't kill anything popular. They're in a totally different scene. The tuneless, hookless scene. Metallica, Anthrax and the like obviously crossed over. Slayer never did. They had nothing to do with radio stations/MTV cutting off Def Leppard and Great White videos cold.
If anything, grunge killed Thrash. Thrash seemed like the next big thing for a while with Metallica already mainstream big, Anthrax and Megadeth going platinum and a ton of bands on the way up, from Exodus and Testament to Helloween and Sepultura. Obviously the few bands that made it before grunge continued to be successful but the next wave never even made it to Trixter / Steelheart level.

But with Metallica being mainstream metal, Slayer and Megadeth are what keeps thrash from being barely a footnote in metal history.