An Interview with Fred Coury of Cinderella

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

gtrjay
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

An Interview with Fred Coury of Cinderella

Post by gtrjay »

I found this in my folder on my phone from a couple of years ago.
Good read and Fred just seems like a good guy.

https://vwmusicrocks.com/2021/01/18/an- ... inderella/
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
Dr. Hollywood
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Re: An Interview with Fred Coury of Cinderella

Post by Dr. Hollywood »

It must be awkward to be best known for being in Cinderella when he only played on one full album (Heartbreak Station) in addition to one song on Long Cold Winter and the two songs they recorded for the "Once Upon A..." greatest hits album in the late 90s. Everything else the band recorded had session drummers.
DonJuanDeMarco
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

I was accepted to Berklee in Boston for violin. It was much more difficult to get accepted into that school back then. I had to audition and did it with violin. Right after orientation, I got a phone call from Mike Varney telling me that I had an audition for Ozzy. I went to the Dean of the school, who at the time was Lee Berk,

Wait a second... The Dean of Berklee was named Lee Berk? What are the odds of that?
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:21 am I was accepted to Berklee in Boston for violin. It was much more difficult to get accepted into that school back then. I had to audition and did it with violin. Right after orientation, I got a phone call from Mike Varney telling me that I had an audition for Ozzy. I went to the Dean of the school, who at the time was Lee Berk,

Wait a second... The Dean of Berklee was named Lee Berk? What are the odds of that?
Remember Back To School? The Dean of that college was named Dean Martin.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Wild Obsession wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:35 am Tony Martin Black Sabbath is on the level of Gary Cherone Van Halen.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Listening to Arcade in mall Arcade was always fabulous
Arcade was called Tilt.
Across from food court. Same side as Sam Goody and Mrs Fields

My Heartbreak Station tour shirt rules
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
wildside1969
Opening for Slaughter

Post by wildside1969 »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:21 am I was accepted to Berklee in Boston for violin. It was much more difficult to get accepted into that school back then. I had to audition and did it with violin. Right after orientation, I got a phone call from Mike Varney telling me that I had an audition for Ozzy. I went to the Dean of the school, who at the time was Lee Berk,

The odds are great since Lee Berk's Father was Lawrence Berk the guy who founded the Berklee College of Music. He named the school after his son.
VinnieVincentsVag
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

wildside1969 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:01 pm

The odds are great since Lee Berk's Father was Lawrence Berk the guy who founded the Berklee College of Music. He named the school after his son.
🤣. Touche
tooth
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by tooth »

LAglamrocker wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:57 pm Listening to Arcade in mall Arcade was always fabulous
Arcade was called Tilt.
Across from food court. Same side as Sam Goody and Mrs Fields

My Heartbreak Station tour shirt rules
What was/is your go to game?
I've advanced many Crystal Castle levels & Dig Dug many tunnels at Aladdin's Castle.
This was accomplished while sporting my Krokus tee, headhunter tour opening for Def Lep.
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:07 pm
wildside1969 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:01 pm

🤣. Touche
This place can be called educational at times.

What are the odds of that?
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Dr. Hollywood wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:24 am It must be awkward to be best known for being in Cinderella when he only played on one full album (Heartbreak Station) in addition to one song on Long Cold Winter and the two songs they recorded for the "Once Upon A..." greatest hits album in the late 90s. Everything else the band recorded had session drummers.
Fred wasn’t in the band when they recorded Night Songs. He was in Chastain at the time and recorded their Mystery of Illusion album. While not amazing songwriting and very typical, it was much more intricate music than Cinderella. Fred sounds great on Heartbreak Station, and Hot and Bothered. He also filled in for Steven Adler at a moment’s notice in 1987. Fred also plays great on the two Arcade albums with Stephen Pearcy. So I don’t know what was up Andy Johns’ and maybe even Tom’s asses about Fred’s playing on Long Cold Winter. It’s not like Cinderella’s music was intricate. I saw them live several times and they were without a doubt one of the best live bands I ever saw from this genre.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

80s producers were hung up on drum machines or playing to a click track because it made it easier to punch in and fix vocals/guitars.
Wild Obsession wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:35 am Tony Martin Black Sabbath is on the level of Gary Cherone Van Halen.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 3:43 am 80s producers were hung up on drum machines or playing to a click track because it made it easier to punch in and fix vocals/guitars.
70s producers were big on ghost sessions players too. Bob Ezrin replaced alot of Alice Cooper’s original band in the studio with session players. So much so, the session players eventually became Alice’s live band.

I’ve listened to the Cozy Powell demos on YouTube. They aren’t anything special or significant. The bass isn’t even in tune in places on Coming Home, and the whole performance sounds flat and lifeless. I know Cozy was great but I prefer Fred’s playing in that band.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

As a producer, Andy Johns was a pretty good engineer.
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:00 am
Dr. Hollywood wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:24 am It must be awkward to be best known for being in Cinderella when he only played on one full album (Heartbreak Station) in addition to one song on Long Cold Winter and the two songs they recorded for the "Once Upon A..." greatest hits album in the late 90s. Everything else the band recorded had session drummers.
Fred wasn’t in the band when they recorded Night Songs. He was in Chastain at the time and recorded their Mystery of Illusion album. While not amazing songwriting and very typical, it was much more intricate music than Cinderella. Fred sounds great on Heartbreak Station, and Hot and Bothered. He also filled in for Steven Adler at a moment’s notice in 1987. Fred also plays great on the two Arcade albums with Stephen Pearcy. So I don’t know what was up Andy Johns’ and maybe even Tom’s asses about Fred’s playing on Long Cold Winter. It’s not like Cinderella’s music was intricate. I saw them live several times and they were without a doubt one of the best live bands I ever saw from this genre.
I can't remember if it was Rip or one of those Hard N' Heavy videos, but Tom said something to the effect of it being Fred being intimidated or something because of the producer.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 4:59 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:00 am
I can't remember if it was Rip or one of those Hard N' Heavy videos, but Tom said something to the effect of it being Fred being intimidated or something because of the producer.

Fred left after Heartbreak Station, an album that he played on its entirety. He left to join a member of Ratt’s new band. When your band is a bigger pain in the ass to work with then a member of Ratt, that’s says something. That says a lot.

Andy was nowhere around the band at this point in time.