People from the US. What real American but not the usual things that everybody does a person has to try?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Ale
Playing in a Garage

People from the US. What real American but not the usual things that everybody does a person has to try?

Post by Ale »

Well? not the typical Mcdonalds, Wendys, Arbys, Disney, Iphone, Nike shoes or seeing an alligator or a deer that every tourist does.

If I want something good to eat in the US, and not the typical ones, where do I go? What do I try?
If I want a place to have fun?
If I want to buy clothes or electronic devices?
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: People from the US. What real American but not the usual things that everybody does a person has to try?

Post by HueyRamone »

What, seeing a deer isnt good enough for you?

Amazon.com is pretty good if you want to buy clothes or electric devices. Walmart is another American company that has both of those things.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Re: People from the US. What real American but not the usual things that everybody does a person has to try?

Post by diablomozart »

the best food is usually not from a big fast food chain but what we call a "mom and pop place"...i live north of atlanta and the best southern style food is a place called "doug's" in emerson georgia...likewise if you want good korean you head to buford highway and look for the small places...in short, where ever you are visiting, ask a local resident about the best food in the area and yes it varies from area to area...d.m.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

- Del Taco + In 'n' Out Burger
- Melrose Ave + Rainbow Bar and Grill
- Walmart + Target (pronouce it Tarjay, you'll feel more upscale)
grishnak boss
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by grishnak boss »

where you gonna be? it all depends on the place, as the US is huge.

I've been to a lot of places, but nowhere near knowing all of them.
SatanOscillateMyMetallicSonatas

Dogma: I am God.
Ale
Playing in a Garage

Post by Ale »

grishnak boss wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:53 am where you gonna be? it all depends on the place, as the US is huge.

Tampa, Destin and Sarasota and maybe Clearwater. I'm not the greatest fun of Florida, but that's where I'll be this year, and I want to make the most of it.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

Ale wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:27 am
grishnak boss wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:53 am where you gonna be? it all depends on the place, as the US is huge.

Tampa, Destin and Sarasota and maybe Clearwater. I'm not the greatest fun of Florida, but that's where I'll be this year, and I want to make the most of it.
Grouper Sandwich. Gotta be a ton of places up and down that coast that are great at it. I'm a big fan of cobia, too.
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Disney World!!!!!!
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
tooth
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by tooth »

Gulf shrimp & oysters are tasty. You should for sure drive thru & check out the Scientology Campus in Clearwater, pretty interesting. Check out a baseball game if The Rays are in town when you are there. Go fishing, swimming, jet ski etc. all the fun water stuff, providing you are into that. If not, just sit on a beach under an umbrella & check it!
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

America is very small and fun
My America is PCH freeway Ventura to San Diego
Best places, best food, best fun
Almost never a reason to drive anywhere else ever
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

HueyRamone wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:19 am What, seeing a deer isnt good enough for you?
Mann, we had some of our Chinese manufacturer reps here last year, and after going through some really boring and detailed product stuff, all they wanted to talk about was how we have deer, coyotes, raccoons, opossum, skunks, squirrels, etc. here in L.A. They were also just gobsmacked by one of our salesmen's Yorkie.

They fucking love the critters, and I guess they just don't have them in any quantity over there.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

EatNails
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by EatNails »

Tampa will lead you to Ybor City for food and fun. Lots of choices, it's the 'strip', so you'll find plenty of options. Big aquarium and a nice Zoo there (Lowry Park). If you're into sports, there's football, hockey, and loads of baseball (Devil Rays, Marlins, spring training). If you want to have a once-in-a-lifetime dinner, Berns Steak House in the Hyde Park area. Make reservations.

Sarasota is on my short list of places to move. It's a fantastic area. Big Amish community and one of their restaurants is on the list of places to stop. I think it's called Yoders Village. The best beach is south of Venice, the area around the dog beach. Peaceful, except when the airplanes come in. They're right above you like you can touch them, it's wild. Go to the Ringling museum.

Hit the Myakka River State Park, or the Peace River State Forest. Alligators, manatees, more. Dig for prehistoric shit. Continue south to Marco Island, take a boat tour of the Ten Thousand Islands. Stop at Cedar Key on your way from Destin to Tampa. Check out the Red Barn Flea Market outside of Sarasota for loads of shopping.
Grendel wrote: Skip work tomorrow and smoke some meth...this thread is THAT epic.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

State Fair of Texas, aka “Big Tex.”

Spoiler: A cotton candy margarita sounds good, right? It’s not.

In-N-Out is okay but if you’re in Texas, there are easily a dozen similar joints that have way better burgers like P. Terry’s or Top Notch.

Whataburger is fine in a pinch.

Something for when you visit a real state and not America’s Dong.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Depends what city you’re in. Realistically just use Yelp if you’re in a pinch, anything 4+ stars with hundreds/thousands of reviews is bound to be decent if you’re ordering the right things.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide”
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Rocket launch from the Space Coast.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Ale
Playing in a Garage

Post by Ale »

EatNails wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:11 pm

Tampa will lead you to Ybor City for food and fun. Lots of choices, it's the 'strip', so you'll find plenty of options. Big aquarium and a nice Zoo there (Lowry Park). If you're into sports, there's football, hockey, and loads of baseball (Devil Rays, Marlins, spring training). If you want to have a once-in-a-lifetime dinner, Berns Steak House in the Hyde Park area. Make reservations.

Sarasota is on my short list of places to move. It's a fantastic area. Big Amish community and one of their restaurants is on the list of places to stop. I think it's called Yoders Village. The best beach is south of Venice, the area around the dog beach. Peaceful, except when the airplanes come in. They're right above you like you can touch them, it's wild. Go to the Ringling museum.

Hit the Myakka River State Park, or the Peace River State Forest. Alligators, manatees, more. Dig for prehistoric shit. Continue south to Marco Island, take a boat tour of the Ten Thousand Islands. Stop at Cedar Key on your way from Destin to Tampa. Check out the Red Barn Flea Market outside of Sarasota for loads of shopping.
Thanks man, I'll get back to this post when I'm there! Lots of great options. Really appreciate it.
VinnieVincentsVag
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Gianni’s Pizza in Sarasota. Best pizza I found in that area.
Walt’s Fish Market. Restaurant and fish market. Alligator bites and very fresh seafood.
It’s also fun to get on the old Sunshine Bridge pier and fish, or just watch people fish.I saw a 200lb Lemon Shark caught there.
DonJuanDeMarco
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

American things that a person has to try? This is the land of the free, home of the brave. Get a job. Pay taxes. Vote. Buy a house, get a gun and shoot beer cans in your backyard. Buy a car and become an Uber driver. The possibilities are endless.

And get a slice of pizza from Joe's on Carmine St. in NYC. It's the best, most quintessential NYC slice. Grab 2 and strut down the street like Travolta in Saturday Night Fever.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Rocker4Real
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Rocker4Real »

It really depends on what area you are visiting. New York is known for Pizza, Chicago for Hot Dogs, New Jersey for Pork Roll sandwiches, California for Mexican food, etc.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Open the car door. Toss out whatever's left of your warm soda on the asphalt next to you. Then drive home from Walmart.

You're an American now.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Bonus level: Open your door and piss under your car at a tailgate.
Wild Obsession wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:35 am Tony Martin Black Sabbath is on the level of Gary Cherone Van Halen.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:37 am Open the car door. Toss out whatever's left of your warm soda on the asphalt next to you. Then drive home from Walmart.

You're an American now.
Don't know how true that is, but it's really damn funny :D
grishnak boss

Post by grishnak boss »

Only place ive been to in Florida is Orlando (disney, universal, places around the area), but other than that, cant make recommendations.

Have fun, dude!
SatanOscillateMyMetallicSonatas

Dogma: I am God.
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Wait I'm confused. Thread title says "People from the US" but then you say you're going to Florida...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Sleek wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:13 am
HueyRamone wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:19 am What, seeing a deer isnt good enough for you?
Mann, we had some of our Chinese manufacturer reps here last year, and after going through some really boring and detailed product stuff, all they wanted to talk about was how we have deer, coyotes, raccoons, opossum, skunks, squirrels, etc. here in L.A. They were also just gobsmacked by one of our salesmen's Yorkie.

They fucking love the critters, and I guess they just don't have them in any quantity over there.

Did they want to pet them or bbq and eat them?
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

America is only 71 miles long
Laguna Beach to La Jolla on PCH
The thing my city has best food has always been such bullsh*t
You want best pizza-tacos-steak- Philly cheesesteak-best apple pie it’s all on PCH
Best hot dog is in some stupid place like Barstow
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
aznsquirt
Headlining Clubs

Post by aznsquirt »

Ale wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:10 am Well? not the typical Mcdonalds, Wendys, Arbys, Disney, Iphone, Nike shoes or seeing an alligator or a deer that every tourist does.

If I want something good to eat in the US, and not the typical ones, where do I go? What do I try?
Not strictly "American" per-se but close enough. If you end up in California or anywhere in the southwest, enjoy some mexican cuisine! Whether a taqueria or restaurant.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

aznsquirt wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:11 am
Ale wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:10 am Well? not the typical Mcdonalds, Wendys, Arbys, Disney, Iphone, Nike shoes or seeing an alligator or a deer that every tourist does.

Not strictly "American" per-se but close enough. If you end up in California or anywhere in the southwest, enjoy some mexican cuisine! Whether a taqueria or restaurant.
Nah. You wanna stick to Tex Mex. None of that fancy “Mexican food.” Ground beef in your tacos and enchiladas. Fish tacos are good. But not Mexican food. Chicken is acceptable.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

Dali Museum in Tampa/St. Pete. It's really good.
aznsquirt
Headlining Clubs

Post by aznsquirt »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 6:56 pm
aznsquirt wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:11 am

Nah. You wanna stick to Tex Mex. None of that fancy “Mexican food.” Ground beef in your tacos and enchiladas. Fish tacos are good. But not Mexican food. Chicken is acceptable.
Do both!