What's the first CD you ever bought, when did you buy it, and do you still have it?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

NineteenEightyFour
Forming a Band

Re: What's the first CD you ever bought, when did you buy it, and do you still have it?

Post by NineteenEightyFour »

Metallica's Black Album, I could do without hearing any of the singles besides The Unforgiven, but the deep cuts are still legit.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Re: What's the first CD you ever bought, when did you buy it, and do you still have it?

Post by dmbrocker »

Either Poison's Look What the Cat Dragged In, Green Day's Dookie, or Aero's Get a Grip. Can't remember exactly which one. And yes, I still have all three lying around somewhere.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
StateOfShock
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by StateOfShock »

Michael Jackson's Bad
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

I bought The Beatles Abbey Road and Billy Idol Vital Idol the same day back around '86-'87. I still have Vital Idol, but the Beatles one was pretty crappy sounding and has long since been replaced.
TBONESBURDEN
Recording Your Demo

Post by TBONESBURDEN »

Law and Order - Guilty of Innocence
Savatage - Gutter Ballet
Both bought in Dec of 89 and I still have both of them. Had an old Kenwood home stereo system my dad gave me, and I remember how great I thought those CDs sounded
exitflagger
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by exitflagger »

Bought two discs with my first player: Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll and Xymox - Twist Of Shadows. Still have both. I think it was '89.

Believe it or not my primary CD player has been constantly in use since that year and still shows no signs of giving up the ghost. Technics SL-PG100. Amazing.
ImageImage
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

TBONESBURDEN wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 5:36 pm Law and Order - Guilty of Innocence
Savatage - Gutter Ballet
Both bought in Dec of 89 and I still have both of them. Had an old Kenwood home stereo system my dad gave me, and I remember how great I thought those CDs sounded
I've got both those cds laying around. I'd bet we'd be in a pretty small club of people who have both of those in our collection

My first cd was MJ Dangerous. Can't remember why cause I was a pretty big metal head at the time
DonJuanDeMarco
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

LAglamrocker wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 9:42 pm I bought bunch at Tower Records maybe around 12
First one I played was Warrant debut

Pretty sure had that cassette to cd thing
Ya put cassette in and hooked portable cd player to it
That thing was badass

I remember going to A&W just down the street blasting Sometimes She Cries over and over
Same here! Except it wasn't an A&W. It may have been a Dairy Queen or a Checkers!

It was around 1990. The first CD's I ever bought were Warrant and Poison that I previously had on cassette. MAYBE Queensryche Empire too just because the guy at the store recommended it. I had no idea who Queensryche even was to be honest, but he seemed like a cool guy and I ended up liking the record.

And yeah...I had the Discman too. Cassette deck in the car. You plugged the discman into the deck and powered it with the cigarette lighter! Those were the days, man. Now cars don't even have a place to put your damn keys nevermind your cigarettes!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
TBONESBURDEN
Recording Your Demo

Post by TBONESBURDEN »

daveg wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:56 am
TBONESBURDEN wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 5:36 pm Law and Order - Guilty of Innocence
Savatage - Gutter Ballet
I've got both those cds laying around. I'd bet we'd be in a pretty small club of people who have both of those in our collection

My first cd was MJ Dangerous. Can't remember why cause I was a pretty big metal head at the time
I'd say you are right! I also have Law and Orders second album Rites Of Passage. I bet that one is even more rare! Ha ha
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking.

Nope, don't have it anymore.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DangerZone »

It was either crazy nights or permanent vacation.
Or I may have got them both at the same time.

It was about 1988, soon after they came out.

I don’t have them anymore
Ratt_Trader
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by Ratt_Trader »

Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers. Bought it back around the time it was released (1985?). I had picked up a cd player and needed a disc to try in it. The Deep Purple cd was the only thing available that was even remotely interesting to me.....back then it would take months before things got released on cd, albums and cassettes were always out much sooner.

Still have the disc.
Last edited by Ratt_Trader on Tue Aug 13, 2024 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for all RATT bootlegs, please contact me for list!!
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

Gibsonite wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 4:26 pm The Who - Live At Leeds

Bought it in 1987 at Sam The Record Man, still have it along with every other CD I purchased afterwards
That is a GREAT album!!

That is one of my early ones on vinyl (yeah, I'm old)

My first CD was YES 90125 (did they name it after a ZIP code?? no idea)
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

First CD was the Bell Biv Devoe debut. Bought it in 91? Have long since discarded the album.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
inextrem
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by inextrem »

Nirvana's "Nevermind". Still have it, of course.
The Sacred Cowman
Headlining Clubs

Post by The Sacred Cowman »

For me it was Dokken's Under Lock & Key. It was around '91 when my dad bought a new stereo system that would play CDs. I was blown away by how great it sounded, and I started replacing cassettes with CDs, and now I have more than 2,000 CD's.
thunderdan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by thunderdan »

The Doors- the double greatest hits cd. i still have 1100 cds but not buying much lately due to lack of new records on cd.
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

I bought 3 CDs when I got my first CD player in 1988:

Kiss - Animalize
Billy Joel - Kontsert
Huey Lewis and The News - Fore

To my knowledge, I have them all somewhere here.
SW
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by SW »

Bonfire - Point Blank

Exact date was 28th March 1990 as they were signing autographs in a record store and played gig same night at legendary 'club' here called Lepakko.
TexAzHair
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by TexAzHair »

Damn there are a lot of young people on here....either that or I am getting old

1985 CD's were becoming available

I bought Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force and Accept Metal Heart

they were expensive $15.98..... with inflation in 2024 that would be $46

I am pretty sure that I still have them both

In 1988 after I graduated college I was working at a Chevrolet dealership in Houston. I was in charge of ordering new vehicles.
An older Salesman got pissed off at me because I was ordering CD players in all of the Camaros. Then one day a customer came in
holding about 10 CD's waiting to get into his brand new decked out IROC Z-28. The Salesman was like "I guess its a new world"
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

SW wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:20 am played gig same night at legendary 'club' here called Lepakko.
I've seen plenty of good gigs there, I have even played there.
TheDeadBastard
Headlining Clubs

Post by TheDeadBastard »

Knew I was getting a CD player for graduation so I went out and bought three CDs:

The Outfield - Play Deep
Rush - Hold Your Fire
Can’t remember the third one.

Still have them in a binder somewhere.
ImageImage
REO Cokewagon
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by REO Cokewagon »

TexAzHair wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 8:04 am
In 1988 after I graduated college I was working at a Chevrolet dealership in Houston. I was in charge of ordering new vehicles.
An older Salesman got pissed off at me because I was ordering CD players in all of the Camaros. Then one day a customer came in
holding about 10 CD's waiting to get into his brand new decked out IROC Z-28. The Salesman was like "I guess its a new world"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

beautiful!!! :lol:
REO Cokewagon
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by REO Cokewagon »

exitflagger wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 7:41 pm
Believe it or not my primary CD player has been constantly in use since that year and still shows no signs of giving up the ghost. Technics SL-PG100. Amazing.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: