The Big 4 rides again?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Hair I Go Again
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

The Big 4 rides again?

Post by Hair I Go Again »

After Slayer reunited, I was curious how long it would take for this to become a thing again. Apparently, the answer is now, despite KK's comments that Slayer's upcoming dates are just three one-offs (there's three of you; you're not exactly lone), or a fleeting five-year celebration of their (cough) farewell (cough) tour; or that they never said they'd never play together again, just not tour again (and please oh please don't call three shows over three weeks a "tour"), or whatever spin he's trying out today.

Anyhow, if there's fire where there's smoke, it seems there's going to be at least one Big 4 show in the States next spring. Question is whether Goldenvoice does it out at Coachella again, or if Danny Wimmer takes out a fat loan and books it for Rock on the Range and/or Welcome To Rockville.

Personally, I don't give a shit about watching four acts who now qualify for Social Security, but it'll make for great Sludge between the Slayer wives, Mustaine crying more about Metallica firing him, etc. Good for Anthrax, though -- but it'll be interesting to see if Charlie is able to take part due to his ongoing Pantera commitments.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: The Big 4 rides again?

Post by Anthrax442 »

Hair I Go Again wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 6:57 pm After Slayer reunited, I was curious how long it would take for this to become a thing again. Apparently, the answer is now, despite KK's comments that Slayer's upcoming dates are just three one-offs (there's three of you; you're not exactly lone), or a fleeting five-year celebration of their (cough) farewell (cough) tour; or that they never said they'd never play together again, just not tour again (and please oh please don't call three shows over three weeks a "tour"), or whatever spin he's trying out today.

Anyhow, if there's fire where there's smoke, it seems there's going to be at least one Big 4 show in the States next spring. Question is whether Goldenvoice does it out at Coachella again, or if Danny Wimmer takes out a fat loan and books it for Rock on the Range and/or Welcome To Rockville.

Personally, I don't give a shit about watching four acts who now qualify for Social Security, but it'll make for great Sludge between the Slayer wives, Mustaine crying more about Metallica firing him, etc. Good for Anthrax, though -- but it'll be interesting to see if Charlie is able to take part due to his ongoing Pantera commitments.
I think Pantera might be taking a break in 2025. Anthrax basically has an album in the bag, and Phil had mentioned going out with Down, not to mention that Zakk probably wants to do his own thing with either BLS or Zakk Sabbath. I could be totally wrong though.

Although, I've got to say, unless all four bands are playing on the same stage on the same day, I don't think it really counts as a Big 4 show when they just happen to be 4 of 100 bands playing over 3-4 days. Plus, Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer all got 1 hour slots at the Big 4 shows, I don't think that's likely at a festival.

Would make more sense for them to do a one off show like they did before, and either hit New York or LA again, or maybe a city they didn't do before (Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, Seattle, etc.)
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

Cant they just call it "The Little One, The Boring Live One, The Reunited One, and the Big One"?

That rolls off the tongue a bit better.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

HueyRamone wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:24 am Cant they just call it "The Little One, The Boring Live One, The Reunited One, and the Big One"?

Ouch. Accurate, but ouch.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

MegaDave playing two nights at YouTube Theatre :lol: must be fun! It’s connected to 80000 Sofi Stadium!
MegaDave has load up his show to get sellout ONE night with 6000 then have GrouponMania for night 2 LOL!

Anthrax can just play to same 3000 fans that show up early for Big 4 LOL at any venue in LA

Slayer must feel awesome playing to full stadium knowing anyone could have that slot and be full! Even Wolfie Van Halen could have that spot for a few extra millions “donated” to Metallica wives shopping club LOL!

Big 4 gimmick worked in 80s it was believable but not now!
The other 3 just humiliation every night! Knowing James and Lars can pick any bands in the world to get the same crowds

Metallica-Live- Endo- Collective Soul would pack stadiums!
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Death Angel will celebrate, they get their singer back for 2 months while Kerry King puts his Kerry King project on hold!
HoldenSSV
Recording Your Demo

Post by HoldenSSV »

HueyRamone wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:24 am Cant they just call it "The Little One, The Boring Live One, The Reunited One, and the Big One"?

I prefer The Big One, The Medium One, and the Two Shitty Tagalongs
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

HoldenSSV wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:49 am

Who's the Medium One?

Before you answer, Slayer has 4 Gold Albums, Megadeth has 1 2X Platinum, 4 Platinum and 1 Gold album.
HoldenSSV
Recording Your Demo

Post by HoldenSSV »

Anthrax442 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:56 am
HoldenSSV wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:49 am

Who's the Medium One?

Before you answer, Slayer has 4 Gold Albums, Megadeth has 1 2X Platinum, 4 Platinum and 1 Gold album.
Megadeth. Slayer and Anthrax are remorae at this point.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Ian “ James could I have 5000$ more per show please?”
James “ No you can’t my kids get 5000$ allowance per week, now go play to 3000 Metallica fans at 5:30pm”
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
KISStian
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by KISStian »

Would be a great way to close out Rock on the Temple.
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

The Big 3 and Anthrax returns. Didn't see this coming.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

They all deserve to be mentioned as the Big Four, IMO. I'm not really getting the hate for Anthrax here. Among the Living is one of the 80's thrash era's best albums.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

killeverything wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:21 pm The Big 3 and Anthrax returns. Didn't see this coming.
Someone here said Slayer has 4 gold albums, which sounds reasonable.
Anthrax has five.

Still, it's been a long time since Anthrax were anything "big".
Even at their peak they opened for Maiden in Europe - 1990 or something.
jens
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by jens »

Spotify stats, total streams:

Metallica: 13,536,304,505
Megadeth: 2,323,418,053
Slayer: 1,464,406,214
Anthrax: 419,065,393
Total Ass
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by Total Ass »

jens wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:44 am Spotify stats, total streams:

Metallica: 13,536,304,505
Megadeth: 2,323,418,053
Slayer: 1,464,406,214
Anthrax: 419,065,393
Do Testament and Exodus now. Those are the 2 bands that everyone says deserve Big 4 status over Anthrax.
jens

Post by jens »

Got those stats of kworb.net (good source), but they're not listing them for Exodus & Anthrax. Too small?

Other stats, from spotify itself:
Metallica: 27,090,628 monthly listeners
Megadeth: 4,685,684 "
Slayer: 6,074,672 "
Anthrax: 1,195,300 "
Exodus: 493,394 "
Testament: 2,649,908 "

Strange to see the difference between Megadeth and Slayer here. Especially because the most popular song is "Delusions of Saviour" for Slayer, and "For the Glory of..." for Testament, two tracks Spotify has been trying to shove up my throat a lot in autoplay after another metalalbum ends.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

jens wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:23 am
Strange to see the difference between Megadeth and Slayer here. Especially because the most popular song is "Delusions of Saviour" for Slayer, and "For the Glory of..." for Testament, two tracks Spotify has been trying to shove up my throat a lot in autoplay after another metalalbum ends.
And this is why I never stayed on any streaming service for very long. Haven't tried Tidal but I guess they aren't any different?
jens

Post by jens »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:06 pm
And this is why I never stayed on any streaming service for very long. Haven't tried Tidal but I guess they aren't any different?
No clue!
Is it just the algoritme feeding itself the idea people like those two songs I mentioned earlier? Are record companies leaving Spotify a bigger percentage of the cake in exchange for "exposure"?
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

jens wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:20 am
Love_Industry wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:06 pm
No clue!
Is it just the algoritme feeding itself the idea people like those two songs I mentioned earlier? Are record companies leaving Spotify a bigger percentage of the cake in exchange for "exposure"?
I don't think it's the record cos. I've been presented with 'For The Glory Of' a few times too, though a different, late-period Slayer track. But I also regularly got Municipal Waste and Laaz Rockit songs after listening to thrash albums, and often heard Anvil's 'March of the Crabs' within a few tracks of the end of a regular metal album. I can't imagine those 3 bands are paying Spotify to promote them and I've never searched for anything by them. It's just, to use a popular 2024 word, weird.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Hair I Go Again wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 6:57 pmdespite KK's comments that Slayer's upcoming dates are just three one-offs (there's three of you; you're not exactly lone)
:lol:
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts