Is L.A. Guns “Cocked & Loaded” a successful album?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Is L.A. Guns “Cocked & Loaded” a successful album?

Post by ParaDime77 »

Released in 1989 with the help of 3 producers, “Cocked & Loaded” was LA Guns most commercially famous output. 3 singles were released from the album to some chart success.

Was this album a success?
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Rocker4Real
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Re: Is L.A. Guns “Cocked & Loaded” a successful album?

Post by Rocker4Real »

Yes.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Only LA Guns successful albums are with Scotty Griffin
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
windycitycane
Forming a Band

Post by windycitycane »

Their best IMO.

I interned at Polygram during this time and the label put big money behind it, brought in Dianne Warren to write a hit, 5 videos.

I do remember the big debate was which video to release 4th - Malaria or I Wanna Be Your Man. Also, the label wanted a bunch of the bassist in the clips - they thought he was the best looking. Yup, that is how it was.

Successful? I think so.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

I have a gold record in my kitchen that says yessss....

That said, I doubt it recouped. That was a fun year tho.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

LadyJaneGrey
Headlining Clubs

Post by LadyJaneGrey »

windycitycane wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:05 pm Also, the label wanted a bunch of the bassist in the clips - they thought he was the best looking. Yup, that is how it was.
I always thought it was Phil who was the best-looking in that band.
MattleyCrue
Headlining Clubs

Post by MattleyCrue »

What song did Dianne Warren help write?
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
windycitycane
Forming a Band

Post by windycitycane »

MattleyCrue wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:37 pm What song did Dianne Warren help write?
I thought she had a hand in the Ballad of Jayne but I think I am mistaken. My bad.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Yah I never heard about a Dianne Warren thing. I know that on the next record Mick went up to Canada and did some writing with Jim Vallance...

Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

:lol:
ImageImage
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Thought it was a massive step up from the debut. They had a distinct sound..heavy enough for the rockers and a great ballad for the ladies. For this to not go platinum has to be a huge disappointment.
Engine13
Headlining Clubs

Post by Engine13 »

I thought it was a great release when it came out. I loved the art on the cover also.
How successful, I guess, is debatable. Never Enough & Jayne were heavy in rotation on dial mtv as I remember. It felt like they were on the edge of something bigger, but it didn't materialize with HVamps. For a minute, circa 88-9... LaG, GnR, and Faster Pussycat were my big 3.
Vince Neil Eats
Playing Frat Parties

Post by Vince Neil Eats »

Sleek wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:51 pm I have a gold record in my kitchen that says yessss....

That said, I doubt it recouped. That was a fun year tho.
Were you on the road with them when Mike Corscione was their tour mgr? I just read his book. Didn’t seem like those guys got along much.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Yeah. He wasn't there for long tho. I don't think he lasted 6 months.

He probably shits on me somewhere in there lol. We had differences in attitudes.

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Sleek wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:32 pm Yeah. He wasn't there for long tho. I don't think he lasted 6 months.

He probably shits on me somewhere in there lol. We had differences in attitudes.
Was he the guy that posted the pic of the back of yer painted jacket on IG and said you stressed him out?
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Yah.

To be fair, he has always been respectful when shitting on me. He is just a tightly wound sort, and you know I am a little more...chaotic. Not a great mix.

SikkiNixx
Sharing sandwiches with street kids

Post by SikkiNixx »

I would say that, in the grand scheme of things, no.. it's not even close to being a successful album.. but if you zoom in and become a body that resonates with you personally, then yes, absolutely it is... they got their little 15 seconds of attention and Ballad Of Jane was in medium rotation on the MTV, they carved themselves a little career and they had a few fans and got to open for acdc, they were popular in Japan apparently, and the guitar player is the Guns from GnR, that helped big time. Unfortunately when they came through town on their own, nobody came except my friends and I, 15 people max, in a 600 seat bar, it was harsh...
Oh yeah, there was that time they played a wing joint in a residential neighborhood plaza, Stacy Blades. family took up the 3 tables in front of the stage, but it seemed like they might have had the wrong idea as far as the popularity goes during that point in time. It was just Phil and Steve Riley . But hey, they played and it was great to my buds and I cuz we knew the tunes and they were tight.
But no, C&L was not a successful album
New World Under Attack
No Telling If We'll Make It Out
Or Turn To Black
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

ParaDime77 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 3:44 pm Released in 1989 with the help of 3 producers, “Cocked & Loaded” was LA Guns most commercially famous output. 3 singles were released from the album to some chart success.

Was this album a success?
I like it, and they were able to stay signed and make a follow up. That’s as successful as I need anyone’s album to be.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DangerZone »

it always seemed successful to me.
But the debut is best
Tyketto Meniketti
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Tyketto Meniketti »

Of course it was successful. Jayne was everywhere. They played with AC/DC, as noted.

They just matched to the beat of a different drum, it seemed, as their 'look' and sound didn't exactly sync with what huge bands were doing.

It was big enough to launch them into Vampires which resulted in the Point Break soundtrack, appearances on Melrose Place (as part of the storyline, no less), and a primo feature spot on MTV Live at the Beach House (or whatever it was called). Yeah, it was successful.

I think Nirvana and the like had to have taken some cues from 'Malaria.' That tune was waaaaaaay ahead of its time. We all know they nicked the 'Never Enough' video, so it wouldn't surprise me.
Last edited by Tyketto Meniketti on Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Define successful.

I thought the fabulous LA Guns did well. From the time I first saw Adam Curry interview them and introduce Sex Action, they seemed to be playing their guitars on my MTV. They were never a Poison, a Cinderella or Skid Row even. But for a group of Johnny Come Latelys, they did respectable. They never did quite connect with the greater, impressionable, Gen X buying public the way their Hollywood, aptly firearm named counterparts did.

For this album, I remember a handful of singles with Never Enough and Jayne getting the most love and attention from the suits at Viacom. Rip and Tear was the first single. IWBYM was somewhere in there, which was one of my personal favorites, and I also remember Malaria. Some impressive deep cuts too like Wheels of Fire, Give A Little Love, Magdalaine and Sleazy Come.

Vampires seemed bigger to me. KISS My Love and Over Now were everywhere and like someone else mentioned, Over The Edge was in Point Break at the time. I thought Edge and Crystal Eyes would have made good singles at MTV and cock rock radio.

It’s too bad the timing wasn’t a little better a few years earlier. One More Reason, Gypsy or Sex Action would have fit right in on The Lost Boys soundtrack. They would’ve been perfect for a cameo part in that movie as a motorcycle gang.

It’s too bad they never got along. They had alot to be proud of and hang there glam hats on. They released four solid, impressive records between 1988 and 1994. That classic lineup were good musicians and were just as cool as any of their peers and competitors at the time. Phil being a Brit and getting press for his time in Girl also added a nice international flair to them.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Define successful.

I thought the fabulous LA Guns did well. From the time I first saw Adam Curry interview them and introduce Sex Action, they seemed to be playing their guitars on my MTV. They were never a Poison, a Cinderella or Skid Row even. But for a group of Johnny Come Latelys, they did respectable. They never did quite connect with the greater, impressionable, Gen X buying public the way their Hollywood, aptly firearm named counterparts did.

For this album, I remember a handful of singles with Never Enough and Jayne getting the most love and attention from the suits at Viacom. Rip and Tear was the first single. IWBYM was somewhere in there, which was one of my personal favorites, and I also remember Malaria. Some impressive deep cuts too like Wheels of Fire, Give A Little Love, Magdalaine and Sleazy Come.

Vampires seemed bigger to me. KISS My Love and Over Now were everywhere and like someone else mentioned, Over The Edge was in Point Break at the time. I thought Edge and Crystal Eyes would have made good singles at MTV and cock rock radio.

It’s too bad the timing wasn’t a little better a few years earlier. One More Reason, Gypsy or Sex Action would have fit right in on The Lost Boys soundtrack. They would’ve been perfect for a cameo part in that movie as a motorcycle gang.

It’s too bad they never got along. They had alot to be proud of and hang there glam hats on. They released four solid, impressive records between 1988 and 1994. That classic lineup were good musicians and were just as cool as any of their peers and competitors at the time. Tracii was an impressive gun slinger with a guitar collection that was very enviable. I was in awe. Phil being a Brit and getting press for his time in Girl also added a nice international flair to them.
sirthx2
Recording Debut Album

Post by sirthx2 »

Like a lot of records in the early 90s, it's too long. Weed out the weaker tracks & gimme a 34-40 minute,10 song record.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
DonJuanDeMarco
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

sirthx2 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:35 pm Like a lot of records in the early 90s, it's too long. Weed out the weaker tracks & gimme a 34-40 minute,10 song record.
Agreed. And I never liked the production. It’s too flat and too much reverb.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"