El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act
Location: Standing in the Winner's Circle with the Gold Ring kissed.

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by ElToro »

Cool stuff!
Darwin says "let him die."
www.myspace.com/kingeltorothebull
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19dWs0pOAKc
1988 Good Times, damn good times...
vanitybinge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by vanitybinge »

I may have mentioned this in the past but I'm still having a hell of a time finding parts for this. It needs a new tremolo bar and locking nuts.

It's a Platinum 1989 BC RICH.
In the paper, seems a florist
Found in Lincoln Park, died of some anemia
No one raped her, poor Doloris,
Just detained her and drained her on the spot
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

eddie lee roth wrote:I've been playing for less than a year and currently playing with a laguna from there value pack deal I got at guitar center. My question or questions are these to the more experinced players out there what are your opinions on this guitar ? Also would one day like to own a fender wolfgang and what are the differnces between the wolfgang and the wolfgang special thanks for the help and would it be better to just spend the extra bucks and get the american made fender wolfgang
The Lagunas are all right as a beginner guitar, I have not played one of the beginner pack instruments but I did play one of the $500 models on the floor at GC and again, it was all right. Not outstanding but playable enough. Headstock looks kinda funny.

I personally think the Fender Wolfgangs are just way overpriced for what they are, though they are nice guitars. If I were you I might go for a used Peavey Wolfgang Special with the D-tuna as an interim step, you can get them off of Ebay for $400-$500. If you end up decideing you really want the Fender version top of the line, you could resell the Peavey or keep it for a backup guitar.

The Fender Wolfgang is just not a $3,000 guitar to me, but then again, what you want is what you want. If you are just starting to play, your tastes in guitars may change many times over the coming years. And if money is no object, sure, spring on the one ou want. But if youre gonna have to save up, I'd get an interim guitar, you may end up loving that one!
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

vanitybinge wrote:I may have mentioned this in the past but I'm still having a hell of a time finding parts for this. It needs a new tremolo bar and locking nuts.

It's a Platinum 1989 BC RICH.
That is a cheap Floyd-licensed bridge that is really not much like a Floyd except in a general sense. It's not made anymore. Are the bridge parts themselves all intact?

I would take that guitar to music stores with me, and just ask them if you can try some trem bars from their bin, because again, there ios no one to order those from anymore. They were on cheap guitars made by BC Rich, Epiphone and Charvettes by Charvel.

You should be able to match a bar from the pile in the drawer at a music store, might have to settle for chrome instead of matching black. Same with the locking nuts, worst case you could change out the whole locking nut as they come in a few standard sizes.

IIRC, you can't just drop a new bridge in, you'd have to re-drill the holes for the pivots for a Floyd due to different spacing. Not really worh it for that guitar unless you just always want to keep it, because you'd never recoup that money on resale. The Platinum Series was the Bronze Series of its day, though nicer than the Bronze Series it was basically their Squier line of the time.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

He's right... you'll find it there... even All-Parts.
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
vanitybinge

Post by vanitybinge »

lerxstcat wrote:
That is a cheap Floyd-licensed bridge that is really not much like a Floyd except in a general sense. It's not made anymore. Are the bridge parts themselves all intact?

I would take that guitar to music stores with me, and just ask them if you can try some trem bars from their bin, because again, there ios no one to order those from anymore. They were on cheap guitars made by BC Rich, Epiphone and Charvettes by Charvel.

You should be able to match a bar from the pile in the drawer at a music store, might have to settle for chrome instead of matching black. Same with the locking nuts, worst case you could change out the whole locking nut as they come in a few standard sizes.

IIRC, you can't just drop a new bridge in, you'd have to re-drill the holes for the pivots for a Floyd due to different spacing. Not really worh it for that guitar unless you just always want to keep it, because you'd never recoup that money on resale. The Platinum Series was the Bronze Series of its day, though nicer than the Bronze Series it was basically their Squier line of the time.
It's a sweet guitar and I'm definitely keeping it, it's really versatile and when the intonation is right, it fucking screams. When I had the bar and everything, I could get some of the smoothest trems just by pushing the heel of my hand on the bridge and it would stay in tune for days. This axe is better than you think.

The bridge is intact, everything is intact. It's tjust the tremolo and nuts that are missing now. Since it's a threaded bar and the nuts seem to be an odd size, most stores I bring it to can't help me. Maybe I'll get lucky next time I go in. I'm gonna try calling BC Rich and seeing what they have to say.

The only thing that's weird to me is the fine tuners on each string saddle. There are two hex screws for each string so I can raise or lower it. I'm not a guitar nerd but if I was I bet I could get the perfect tone with those.

I was hoping someone might know a place to order obscure parts, if this is a cheap BC bridge like you say, then surely someone's got a junk guitar with this bridge sitting around somewhere.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

vanitybinge wrote:
lerxstcat wrote:

It's a sweet guitar and I'm definitely keeping it, it's really versatile and when the intonation is right, it fucking screams. When I had the bar and everything, I could get some of the smoothest trems just by pushing the heel of my hand on the bridge and it would stay in tune for days. This axe is better than you think.

The bridge is intact, everything is intact. It's tjust the tremolo and nuts that are missing now. Since it's a threaded bar and the nuts seem to be an odd size, most stores I bring it to can't help me. Maybe I'll get lucky next time I go in. I'm gonna try calling BC Rich and seeing what they have to say.

The only thing that's weird to me is the fine tuners on each string saddle. There are two hex screws for each string so I can raise or lower it. I'm not a guitar nerd but if I was I bet I could get the perfect tone with those.

I was hoping someone might know a place to order obscure parts, if this is a cheap BC bridge like you say, then surely someone's got a junk guitar with this bridge sitting around somewhere.
I'm not knocking the guitar, just saying truthfully that the Platinum Series were the bottom of the line in their day - which is just a fact, not a value judgment.

As I said, BC Rich did NOT make that bridge AFAIK, as it was common eqiuipment on several makes of guitars' low-line instruments. If you dig it that's great, but I don't think you are gonna find a place that specializes in selling low-end parts.

You might get lucky on Ebay buying a complete replacement bridge. I think you'd be better off just taking it in to a store to try what bars they have in ther parts drawer. As for the lock nut, you can buy a new locknut on eBay for $15, just measure the nut or take the old nut off and if it is a real Floyd nut it will say on the bottom if it's an R2 or whatever. You can definitely get parts that will work but if you are looking for them by name for that model guitar you will probably never find them. And on eBay you would have to sift through all the "Floyd Rose parts" listings to visually ID a similar bridge - and half of them do not have the nut and bar anyway. The ads always say "you can find one in any music store for a few bucks" which is bullshit.

If rhe threads are the only problem with the locking nut, IOW if the blocks will fit, you could go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a couple packs of hex bolts, eyeball it to see what looks close. They're only like 89 cents. They might be too long but you can gete some steel washers to use as spacers on top of the blocks. I have a couple that I did that with and they work just fine.

Where there's a will, there's a way. But if ou find some parts that fit, I'd get an extra set and put them away, seeing it has taken you a long time to find them.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

http://www.fretsonthenet.com/

This guy sells a lot of new and used parts, and also fabricates some parts. He is sort of down for the holidays but you could email him and see what he says. I don't see parts for your guitar in the BC Rich section but Dave is really knowledgeable and might know what your guitar takes. Again, he put up a note saying that he is taking family time but he'd probably email you back to at least tell you how likely it'd be to get parts for it. If ou've been waiting a long time I guess waiting til after Christmas wouldn't kill you. He got me an odd-size friction collar for a Floyd-style trem on one of my Yamaha guitars.

TBH he might suggest you get a real Floyd put on it, but if you really want to keep it stock if anyone could help you it's probably him. If he knows the thread size for the bar he could make you a bar at least. I hope it helps.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I'm off to trade my San Dimas for something... anything!
vanitybinge

Post by vanitybinge »

lerxstcat wrote:http://www.fretsonthenet.com/

This guy sells a lot of new and used parts, and also fabricates some parts. He is sort of down for the holidays but you could email him and see what he says. I don't see parts for your guitar in the BC Rich section but Dave is really knowledgeable and might know what your guitar takes. Again, he put up a note saying that he is taking family time but he'd probably email you back to at least tell you how likely it'd be to get parts for it. If ou've been waiting a long time I guess waiting til after Christmas wouldn't kill you. He got me an odd-size friction collar for a Floyd-style trem on one of my Yamaha guitars.

TBH he might suggest you get a real Floyd put on it, but if you really want to keep it stock if anyone could help you it's probably him. If he knows the thread size for the bar he could make you a bar at least. I hope it helps.

Thanks Lex! As usual, you're a big help.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Anyone try a Z-vex pedal?
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

ElToro wrote:Anyone try a Z-vex pedal?
Had a Distortron and loved it. Very dynamic and responsive.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Which one and why'd you sell it?
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

ElToro wrote:Which one and why'd you sell it?
The Distortron - it's a variation on the Box of Rock. I sold it for a Barber Direct Drive Super Sport, just sounded better with my setup.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Just pulled the trigger on a Brian May guitar...finally.

It's the "real" one. $530 shipped.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Sleek wrote:Just pulled the trigger on a Brian May guitar...finally.

It's the "real" one. $530 shipped.
You just complaining about guitars being too small for you.... you realize that this is a 24" scale guitar, right? A Les Paul is 24.75" amd a Strat is 25.5" by comparison. seems like a big guy like you might be really cramped on a 24" scale instrument.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I don't care so much about scale, just body.

But I figure Brian May is about 6'10", and it doesn't look small on him...even with the clogs and caucafro :D

[digression]
May is another guy who uses REALLY thin strings (.009-.042 now, supposedly .008's back in the day) and gets a huge, thick sound.

Every time somebody starts going on about how thick strings are the only way to get a thick sound, I want to cram the entire discographies of Brian May, Tony Iommi and Jimi Hendrix up their ass...
[/digression]

The unique electronics make it a must-have though. No other guitar of any size has those sounds. (Except when people build Brian May assemblies into strats...which I don't really want.)

Ima probably going to unload my '60's Epi Olympic to offset the cost. Maybe a few pedals, too.

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Good for you! May's tone was in part due to a Rangemaster...

Ever try a Jacques distortion... it was so hot, I nearly blew my rig!
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I already have the BBE Freq Boost Rangemaster clone.

Sold my Vox a while ago, but it doesn't matter, I'm not trying to nail the Queen sound, I just want to check out the treble booster+series pickups thing...already with the booster some of the impossible harmonic content is there...

You know, tonal toolbox. Primarily for recording. Always a good thing to have as many options as possible.

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

The BBE is a Rangemaster clone??!?!!?
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

Anybody have any experience with detuning pedals? Does anybody make one that sounds worth a shit? I'm doing a couple of covers that are down a whole step and really don't want to have to dedicate a guitar to it. I transposed em, but it doesn't sound right without the open strings. Thought I might give one of those pedals a shot.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

The Morpheus is dead perfect.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Sleek wrote:I don't care so much about scale, just body.

But I figure Brian May is about 6'10", and it doesn't look small on him...even with the clogs and caucafro :D

[digression]
May is another guy who uses REALLY thin strings (.009-.042 now, supposedly .008's back in the day) and gets a huge, thick sound.

Every time somebody starts going on about how thick strings are the only way to get a thick sound, I want to cram the entire discographies of Brian May, Tony Iommi and Jimi Hendrix up their ass...
[/digression]

The unique electronics make it a must-have though. No other guitar of any size has those sounds. (Except when people build Brian May assemblies into strats...which I don't really want.)

Ima probably going to unload my '60's Epi Olympic to offset the cost. Maybe a few pedals, too.
That makes sense. I'm with you on the strings thng also, I have always used .009-.042 for E and Eb, .010-.046 for D. EQ and drive create your tones on an electric guitar. I have thought about going a little heavier on my bottom A and E since I like to do drop tuning, But I like to be able to bend the hell out of my higher strings.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I use 10-52 because it's tighter and bulkier. I absolutey hear it.
bane

Post by bane »

ElToro wrote:The Morpheus is dead perfect.
Cool. I'll check one out. GC's website says they carry em. Thanks Toro.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

ElToro wrote:The BBE is a Rangemaster clone??!?!!?
Well, I don't know if "clone" is right. It is "based on" the early rangemasters...which probably means they copied the circuit, but substituted modern components, which I am fine with.

It's quite nice. Very dirty, very nasty, with an obscene amount of boost on tap...it'll even distort the clean channel of my Marshalls...which have tons of headroom, but without flubbing out the low end.

Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

bane wrote:
+1. Not sure how they do it, but that pedal is spot on.
bane

Post by bane »

Captain Morgan wrote:
bane wrote:
+1. Not sure how they do it, but that pedal is spot on.
I've heard that they sound kind of artificial the lower you go? I just need a whole step, so hopefully it won't be that big a deal. It's for live stuff and only a song here and there, so I can probably live with a little bit of tonal variance. I'm kind of a freak about my tone, but if it's not too bad, I can live with it for the convenience. I'll demo one.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

No weird tonal/tracking issues. Great pedal.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Warmoth installs stainless frets for only $20 more than regular frets... SCREAMIN' DEAL!