John 5 question

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: John 5 question

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Brainy Lane wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:49 pm I’m not slagging the guy.
I’m just wondering why he’s famous.

What is his one song someone/anyone would know?
What’s his Crazy Train? Back in Black? Eruption? Crossroads? Satisfaction? Smoke on the Water?
Not quite fair to judge him by those standards given he didn’t enter the music work force until after Grunge came along and cancel cultured most all of those artists or at the very least made fun of them and attempted to make them obsolete.

If John has a song like that it’s called Slam Dunk and it’s Dave Roth trying to recapture his 1984 Hot For Teacher glory days.

You’re missing the point with John. John has played with everyone from KD Lang, Meat Loaf, Garbage, Steve Perry to Roth to Rob Halford’s late 90s stab at NIN to Rob Zombie solo to his own solo albums. The guy is insanely good and has largely worked on projects I’m not a big fan of like Manson, NIN Halford, Zombie, KD Lang, Garbage, Meatloaf.

The guy is a big hair metal fan, can play almost any style imaginable and is the best guitarist to come out in the last 25 years. He can go from playing that Rob Zombie and MM bullshit to classic VH to Journey to Roy Clarke chicken picking, country-jazz swing. The guy is insanely good and seems down to earth and cool af.
JizzySynatra
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by JizzySynatra »

He's a very good player that can play just about anything on a technical level and he's professional. He played at a total dive near me around 8 years or so ago and went out of his way to sign my DLR Band CD when the band was packing up.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

sirthx2 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:12 am He's "famous' for a few reason:

4) and I think the biggest reason for his 'fame' amongst the metal-head crowd: That Metal Show. Seriously, when they did those pre-commercial guitarist "taking us to break", none of them (Lynch, Warren, dude from Tesla etc etc) came close to the shock & awe that John 5 brought. I think most people in the genre didn't give a shit about him or didn't even know he was alive until then. Those appearances put him firmly on the map.
That's how I heard him!

I sort of knew he played on the DLR Band album too.

Then I checked out his Instagram and saw some amazing clips of him.

I like the DLR original, more acoustic songs that have come out. I don't know if an album will ever be officially released but I like it for what it is.

I have low expectations for any Motley album with him though. Mick and Nikki had the magic touch with all those 80's songs!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:15 pm
sirthx2 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:12 am He's "famous' for a few reason:

4) and I think the biggest reason for his 'fame' amongst the metal-head crowd: That Metal Show. Seriously, when they did those pre-commercial guitarist "taking us to break", none of them (Lynch, Warren, dude from Tesla etc etc) came close to the shock & awe that John 5 brought. I think most people in the genre didn't give a shit about him or didn't even know he was alive until then. Those appearances put him firmly on the map.
That's how I heard him!

I sort of knew he played on the DLR Band album too.

Then I checked out his Instagram and saw some amazing clips of him.

I like the DLR original, more acoustic songs that have come out. I don't know if an album will ever be officially released but I like it for what it is.

I have low expectations for any Motley album with him though. Mick and Nikki had the magic touch with all those 80's songs!
Doubt Mick wrote a thing. Old as fuck blues guy.

Nikki humming along to DJ Ashba types (obviously not Ashba in the 80's)
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Metal Heart
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Metal Heart »

John 5 is obviously a very talented guitar player. But he is also a nerd. Which makes it hard to get into him. He is Erkel with guitar skills. He has never written a hit song. He has played with Halford, Zombie, Roth, Manson and now Crue. Zero hit songs he helped write.
"Life sucks, but in a beautiful kind of way." - Axl Rose
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:20 pm

Wow…for some reason I thought he wrote all the music and Nikki did the lyrics!

For what it’s worth he does have co writing credits on most of Dr Feelgood.

Anyway…let’s see what they come up with with John 5!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:55 pm
DemonFilth2001 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:20 pm

Wow…for some reason I thought he wrote all the music and Nikki did the lyrics!

For what it’s worth he does have co writing credits on most of Dr Feelgood.

Anyway…let’s see what they come up with with John 5!

Mick hardly wrote shit for the band. Most of it was Nikki. Mick did write the music for GGG and Toast.