Some good DLR Sludge

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Some good DLR Sludge

Post by Love_Industry »

ColinRobinson wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:53 am I met David Lee Roth at a restaurant once
Colin "Bomber" Robinson - wasn't that the slightly effeminate bass player in pre-Kalodner Whitesnake?
VinceVanLane
Playing Frat Parties

Post by VinceVanLane »

ColinRobinson wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:53 am I met David Lee Roth at a restaurant once - we'd accidentally been given his table. Apparently he was fond of the restaurant and had a specific table he liked, and the management had messed up and gotten their days wrong, (it was Tuesday and they thought he was coming on Thursday or something like that).

Anyway, the manager, completely embarrassed (this is a pretty nice restaurant) comes by and says "I'm so sorry, but we'd like to move you to another table if you could be troubled, and we'll gladly compensate you for the cost of the meal and any other meal you'd like while you're in town." My wife and cousin were both like "Yeah that's cool." and I kind of played the asshole a bit.

"I'm sorry, I just don't understand. We've been here for 15 minutes - we've just ordered. Can't we finish our meal here?"

Then out of nowhere David Lee Roth shows up next to the manager and says "Paul, these guys can finish. We'll be at the bar. I got some time."

And I (being a big DLR fan) said "Oh wow, uh... I had no idea. Please feel free to give them the table."

David Lee Roth was grateful, shook my hand and said thanks, then gave me a card with his number on it and told me to give him a call later. After working up the nerve, I gave him a call that night, and to make a long story short, we had a glorious 11 month love affair, man on man, that I shall never forget. Our bodies intertwined as one, and from the beauty of Morocco, to the French Riviera, to the snorkeling in the Galopagos, David Lee Roth and I made glorious gay love to each other on six of the seven continents.
LOL by far the funniest thing that's been posted on this site in a long time. Kudos.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Love_Industry wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:11 am
ColinRobinson wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:53 am I met David Lee Roth at a restaurant once
Colin "Bomber" Robinson - wasn't that the slightly effeminate bass player in pre-Kalodner Whitesnake?
I dunno about effeminate, but I believe you're referring to Colin Hodgkinson, who came in with Cozy Powell briefly, and then got let go when they decided to redo Slide It In.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
PBFSUCKS
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by PBFSUCKS »

That was hilarious. I actually did “meet” DLR at a restaurant in 2009.

There was a table of about 10 to 12 people (all guys) and it was obvious the loudest of them was Roth. The voice was the give away. Anyhow I ask the waitress if that was DLR…she was maybe 18 and had no clue who that was…I said “the singer of Van Halen?” Nothing. So I kind of forget about it.

10 minutes later she comes up and says “I asked if he was a singer because you recognize him and he said “tell him I won a car on Oprah, that’s where he knows me”.

I look over and he gave me a big wave and a goofy David Lee Roth smile. Pretty cool.

I didn’t want to bother him and also, I’m an adult that doesn’t need to fan boy over anyone, plus I got a cool story.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Yeah what you got was better than if you went up and said, "Hey Dave, big fan." This is like a Bill Murray story. Well done.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

Z28 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:03 am
ColinRobinson wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:53 am I met David Lee Roth at a restaurant once - we'd accidentally been given his table. Apparently he was fond of the restaurant and had a specific table he liked, and the management had messed up and gotten their days wrong, (it was Tuesday and they thought he was coming on Thursday or something like that).

Anyway, the manager, completely embarrassed (this is a pretty nice restaurant) comes by and says "I'm so sorry, but we'd like to move you to another table if you could be troubled, and we'll gladly compensate you for the cost of the meal and any other meal you'd like while you're in town." My wife and cousin were both like "Yeah that's cool." and I kind of played the asshole a bit.

"I'm sorry, I just don't understand. We've been here for 15 minutes - we've just ordered. Can't we finish our meal here?"

Then out of nowhere David Lee Roth shows up next to the manager and says "Paul, these guys can finish. We'll be at the bar. I got some time."

And I (being a big DLR fan) said "Oh wow, uh... I had no idea. Please feel free to give them the table."

David Lee Roth was grateful, shook my hand and said thanks, then gave me a card with his number on it and told me to give him a call later. After working up the nerve, I gave him a call that night, and to make a long story short, we had a glorious 11 month love affair, man on man, that I shall never forget. Our bodies intertwined as one, and from the beauty of Morocco, to the French Riviera, to the snorkeling in the Galopagos, David Lee Roth and I made glorious gay love to each other on six of the seven continents.
Thanks for the laugh, I never imagined the end, that was a great one!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
that, combined with the username photo. :lol:
Ol' Dirty Bastard
Recording Debut Album

Post by Ol' Dirty Bastard »

The What We Do In the Shadows themed trolls have to be the best thing going on sludge in 2023. Shout out to Jackie Daytona.

We need a Nandor or Nadja's Doll account next.
LIVE N' UNCUT

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

thechefs2003 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:28 am
Z28 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:14 am Some Eddie Anderson / Pete Angelus book would be KILLER!!!
Between the Roth/VH days and managing the Black Crowes - can you imagine the stories that guy has? I think he also dated Tawney Kitaen in the early days, if I remember correctly.
Lol who didn't date Tawny Kitaen in the 80s? Roth himself probably had a go...
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

DiamondDog wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:23 am
MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:09 pm 9
Let me guess, you're offended that I called him a fruit?

Get over it Karen.

$tEmlvil
I mean, there are worse slurs, but it really is kinda shitty.
Deleted....for fear of the ban hammer for possibly offending the sensitive ones.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:37 pm
thechefs2003 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:28 am
Z28 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:14 am Some Eddie Anderson / Pete Angelus book would be KILLER!!!
Between the Roth/VH days and managing the Black Crowes - can you imagine the stories that guy has? I think he also dated Tawney Kitaen in the early days, if I remember correctly.
Lol who didn't date Tawny Kitaen in the 80s? Roth himself probably had a go...
Think she claimed she did but according to Roth he turned her down. Quality over quantity I guess.

Coverdale has since claimed he wanted Claudia Schiffer to be the "Whitesnake woman" in the videos as he knew her from the Guess campaigns but she wasn't available so he went with Kitaen. Small problem, she modeled for Guess in 1989 and was unknown and underage in 1987....
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Yeah, I guess there's an outside chance she could've been trying to break into videos to make her name, but it's more likely just Coverversion not letting the facts get in the way of a good story...
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:38 am Yeah, I guess there's an outside chance she could've been trying to break into videos to make her name, but it's more likely just Coverversion not letting the facts get in the way of a good story...
Her Wikipedia page says she wasn't discovered until October 1987.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Meh, he said the wrong name of the wrong interchangeable model. Everyone knows Schiffer wasn’t a big deal until the 90s. Doubt she had even been to America when they were casting the WS87 videos.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:26 pm Meh, he said the wrong name of the wrong interchangeable model. Everyone knows Schiffer wasn’t a big deal until the 90s. Doubt she had even been to America when they were casting the WS87 videos.
Considering he was dating Kitain at the time, it sounds like historical revision.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:31 pm
BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:26 pm Meh, he said the wrong name of the wrong interchangeable model. Everyone knows Schiffer wasn’t a big deal until the 90s. Doubt she had even been to America when they were casting the WS87 videos.
Considering he was dating Kitain at the time, it sounds like historical revision.
Was he dating her before she was in the videos? I thought they met when recording the videos or at least during casting.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Yes.