RIP ... Classic L.A. Guns drummer Steve Riley Dead at 67

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Neil Diamond Dave
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Re: RIP ... Classic L.A. Guns drummer Steve Riley Dead at 67

Post by Neil Diamond Dave »

Really interesting reading up on his history. He really fell into LA bands right at their prime - Three bands in a row that achieved some modicum of success during the high-flying 80's: Keel, WASP, LA Guns. Not monstrous-monstrous names, but definitely milestone names from that era. I remember all three bands were all over MTV for at least one year in their careers.

When it really comes down to it, all of us here couldn't have mapped out that type of success right out of high school and moving right into the LA scene. He was either in the right place at the right time, or there must not have been many drummers on the scene with his type of chops, personality/work ethic or business acumen. That's sort of like signing to three different NFL teams and all three of them got at least into the first round of the playoffs with him.

Cheers, dude - RIP.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

To be fair, those were just the times. I was a homeless 18-year-old living in my car when I fell into the Poison roadie gig...funny thing is, we lived in the shithole that had been the Steeler/Keel "house", and there was part if a Riley-era Steppenwolf sign in back of the place...

I always think of Riley as a Matt Sorum type tho. The PRO you bring in to replace your personality-filled fuckup original guy...stable and reliable, but not the guy everyone remembers.

That builds a resume.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Neil Diamond Dave
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Neil Diamond Dave »

Sleek wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:33 pm I always think of Riley as a Matt Sorum type tho. The PRO you bring in to replace your personality-filled fuckup original guy...stable and reliable, but not the guy everyone remembers.

That builds a resume.
Great comparison. Yeah, sort of like a recording session guy who's the only one who shows up on time and plays a solid 4/4 without any baggage. Easy hire.

I'm sure at that time in the LA scene, every single band member thought he was a 4th Beatle. Riley was probably a rarity.
alexleehooker
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by alexleehooker »

thechefs2003 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:44 pm I know I'm in the minority, but I thought the Riley's LA Guns album that came out a couple years ago was actually better than the last 2 or 3 Phil/Traci LA Guns records.

Life is short, appreciate what you have.
where it came out I thought that 'lost boys' was the best song that a band called LA Guns had done since 'vampire' in 2004
Tyla_McCoy
Forming a Band

Post by Tyla_McCoy »

Funny, I never heard him speak until after his passing. I didn't imagine him having a thick Boston accent. I'm enjoying his personality in the 2 interviews I've watched in the last couple of days. He seemed like a nice person, a real old-school kind of guy.

LA Guns were my favorite band for a large portion of the year 1990, but I never gave him much thought. He was pretty great though, wasn't he?
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Sleek wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:33 pm...

I always think of Riley as a Matt Sorum type tho. The PRO you bring in to replace your personality-filled fuckup original guy...stable and reliable, but not the guy everyone remembers.

That builds a resume.
I concur 100%.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Neil Diamond Dave wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:14 pm Really interesting reading up on his history. He really fell into LA bands right at their prime - Three bands in a row that achieved some modicum of success during the high-flying 80's: Keel, WASP, LA Guns. Not monstrous-monstrous names, but definitely milestone names from that era. I remember all three bands were all over MTV for at least one year in their careers.

When it really comes down to it, all of us here couldn't have mapped out that type of success right out of high school and moving right into the LA scene.
One more "right place at the right time". The first (?) album he played on, the B'zz 1983 debut was produced by Tom Werman. Who also, of course, later produced LA Guns.
But high school? He was 23 when he joined Steppenwolf in 1979. Does anyone know what bands he played with before that?

Edit - forgot he played on Roadmaster's debut when he was 20. Mystery solved :)