El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

hendrixstrat
Headlining Clubs

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by hendrixstrat »

I'm selling a Catlinbread Dirty little secret od (plexi type pedal)..and a Subdecay Liquid Sunshine (class A od)..if anyone is interested..
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act
Location: Standing in the Winner's Circle with the Gold Ring kissed.

Post by ElToro »

hendrixstrat wrote:I'm selling a Catlinbread Dirty little secret od (plexi type pedal)..and a Subdecay Liquid Sunshine (class A od)..if anyone is interested..
I still gotta pay for that SC!!! How much?
Darwin says "let him die."
www.myspace.com/kingeltorothebull
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19dWs0pOAKc
1988 Good Times, damn good times...
Suite 16 Guitarist
Recording Your Demo

Post by Suite 16 Guitarist »

ElToro wrote:Nothing... nada.
That is Bullshit...I'm pissed...The B.C. Rich Virgin is to be known forever to me as The Torgeson...unless you prefer a different name...
skunklovestiger wrote: Beeing funny is ok, beeing stupid is not !!
UtahRatt wrote:Doug Marks is how I learned to make an escape proof back patio for a cat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ov4LQFSQ58
hendrixstrat
Headlining Clubs

Post by hendrixstrat »

ElToro wrote:
hendrixstrat wrote:I'm selling a Catlinbread Dirty little secret od (plexi type pedal)..and a Subdecay Liquid Sunshine (class A od)..if anyone is interested..
I still gotta pay for that SC!!! How much?
$120.00 for the DLS..$110.OO for the LS..
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

Need a good Alnico 2 humbucker for my Strat in the bridge position. Suggestions?
hendrixstrat
Headlining Clubs

Post by hendrixstrat »

What kind of body/neck?..I have a Ducan Custom/Custom in my adler body, maple neck strat..Great midrange..Not a lot of low end though..
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

hendrixstrat wrote:What kind of body/neck?..I have a Ducan Custom/Custom in my adler body, maple neck strat..Great midrange..Not a lot of low end though..
Alder/maple. Would like to stay in the vintage-output realm as I'm balancing it with two Dimarzio Area 67s (these things are butter). Problem is, vintage-output pickups have an issue with a Strat trem and sound weak sometimes. Duncan said the Pearly Gates would do it, but they're $95 and I didn't dig the one in my Les Paul a few years back...
PAF Pro
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PAF Pro »

Sitting here pondering new guitars, aka tax-check funtime for PAF Pro...LOL

While the next guitar will be a kit, and a mahogany Explorer at that(the "BYO" site), I'm also GASsin' HARD for a V.

Not the more modern Jackson King V style, more of the trditional Gibson variety.

But here's the wrinkle: what would you guys think of one done up in a '57 Goldtop LP flavor? Light back/neck(rear rout, no PG), gold top(obviously), creme binding on body&neck...LP Standard trapezoid inlays, gold bell knobs....TonePros hardware, SD pups....

It'd be a kit as well(jut gotta find one in mahogany, and a set-neck).
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

That'd be friggin' awesome!
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Suite 16 Guitarist wrote:
That is Bullshit...I'm pissed...The B.C. Rich Virgin is to be known forever to me as The Torgeson...unless you prefer a different name...
BC Rich went out of business for awhile IIRC... was that near or around that time, Jim? Sorry you got screwed for your design idea though, that sucks.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

lerxstcat wrote:
Suite 16 Guitarist wrote:
BC Rich went out of business for awhile IIRC... was that near or around that time, Jim? Sorry you got screwed for your design idea though, that sucks.
It wasn't long after that they went out, but it was a chump move on their part. Wish I had a neck thru USA one for posterities' sake.
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

Captain Morgan wrote:
hendrixstrat wrote:What kind of body/neck?..I have a Ducan Custom/Custom in my adler body, maple neck strat..Great midrange..Not a lot of low end though..
Alder/maple. Would like to stay in the vintage-output realm as I'm balancing it with two Dimarzio Area 67s (these things are butter). Problem is, vintage-output pickups have an issue with a Strat trem and sound weak sometimes. Duncan said the Pearly Gates would do it, but they're $95 and I didn't dig the one in my Les Paul a few years back...
A Rio Grande BBQ would probably get you in the neighborhood. I've got a Muy Grande humbucker in the bridge on one of my Strats, and I love it, but it's probably too hot for what you're looking for. The BBQ is more vintagey.
Liquid Boom Boom
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Liquid Boom Boom »

i have a question for you guys...

I just put together my Warmoth flying V, and it has a gorgeous vintage nitro finish on the back of the neck. however, it's a little too "new". I would like to get more of a woody feel to it, how would you recommend handling this?

I don't want to strip it all, i just want it to feel a bit more used/woody.

I'm guessing 00 or 0000 steel wool?
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

bane wrote:
Captain Morgan wrote:
A Rio Grande BBQ would probably get you in the neighborhood. I've got a Muy Grande humbucker in the bridge on one of my Strats, and I love it, but it's probably too hot for what you're looking for. The BBQ is more vintagey.
Nice! Thanks man!
bane

Post by bane »

Liquid Boom Boom wrote:i have a question for you guys...

I just put together my Warmoth flying V, and it has a gorgeous vintage nitro finish on the back of the neck. however, it's a little too "new". I would like to get more of a woody feel to it, how would you recommend handling this?

Just knock the polish sheen off of it. If it's nitro, a real light wet sand would do it. Steel wool would too, but it'd probably be more of a pain in the ass. A light wet/dry paper like 800 grit or so wouldn't take 5 minutes.
Liquid Boom Boom

bane wrote:
Liquid Boom Boom wrote:i have a question for you guys...

Just knock the polish sheen off of it. If it's nitro, a real light wet sand would do it. Steel wool would too, but it'd probably be more of a pain in the ass. A light wet/dry paper like 800 grit or so wouldn't take 5 minutes.

Bane, i have a really dumb question...what is "wet sand"? Thanks for the help!
bane

Post by bane »

It's a special sand paper that you get wet. You soak it in water for a few minutes before you sand it, then go to town. As it starts to dry out, just get it wet again. You can get it at just about any auto parts store in the body repair section. Just get a real fine grit, I'd say at least 800 and you'll be good to go. For what you're wanting to do, you won't have to go at it long. Be careful not to push down too hard or sand it too long because nitros are thin as fuck, but just make a few passes, then check your results until you get what you're looking for. Nitros look pretty flat until they're buffed out. All you're trying to do is take the buff out of it.
Liquid Boom Boom

Sweet Bane...thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot.

I'm going to take some shots of my two guitar projects..they came out fucking awesome. Really striking guitars. I'll post them soon. Many thanks.
bane

Post by bane »

No prob. Look forward to seeing the pics.
Suicide
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Suicide »

Gibson finally made a proper 24 fret version of the SG Standard.

IggyPopWillEatItself wrote:There's a place where Krokus plays stadiums??? :shock:
KneelandBobDylan

Post by KneelandBobDylan »

Saw this on Muscian's friend today....worth it or no?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... PID=404255
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Suicide wrote:Gibson finally made a proper 24 fret version of the SG Standard.

Oh, that's SWEET!!!!
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

KneelandBobDylan wrote:Saw this on Muscian's friend today....worth it or no?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... PID=404255
I haven't played one. The body wood on the low-line Deans is paulownia wood which I have only recently heard of in the past few years, but solid wood is better than plywood, I guess. It's MF so you can send it back within 45 days (I think) if you don't like it. Pretty cheap for a 7-string so don't expect miracles, but if you like the look of it maybe it's worth a try. I do know Guitar Center carries a lot of cheap Deans and in fact they and MF are under the same ownership, so if there is a GC in your area maybe you could get your hands on one to try.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

...it's gonna cost you a little to get that extra string removed...
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Yea, nitro can be sticky too. That's one thing I like about poly.
Suicide

Post by Suicide »

lerxstcat wrote:

Oh, that's SWEET!!!!
It took them long enough to finally do this right. This could be my first major purchase in almost ten years, but I want to try it out first. It would be my first Gibson purchase since 1987.
IggyPopWillEatItself wrote:There's a place where Krokus plays stadiums??? :shock:
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Suicide wrote:
lerxstcat wrote:

Oh, that's SWEET!!!!
It took them long enough to finally do this right. This could be my first major purchase in almost ten years, but I want to try it out first. It would be my first Gibson purchase since 1987.
If they offer it in heritage cherry or white I would likely get one. I don't want to buy a black one and have to refin it. I have an Agile copy right now that is 24 frets and heritage cherry and I like it quite a lot. I would like to have a Gibson even better but i'm pretty content with this nice Korean guitar, so I don't feel the need to compromise unless they make one in a color I like. And yeah, I'd have to play one first, their QC is just not to be trusted.
Suicide

Post by Suicide »

lerxstcat wrote:If they offer it in heritage cherry or white I would likely get one. I don't want to buy a black one and have to refin it. I have an Agile copy right now that is 24 frets and heritage cherry and I like it quite a lot. I would like to have a Gibson even better but i'm pretty content with this nice Korean guitar, so I don't feel the need to compromise unless they make one in a color I like. And yeah, I'd have to play one first, their QC is just not to be trusted.

Agreed. There is no consistency with Gibson. Way overpriced. I'm kind of holding out for the Epiphone or "faded" version the SG 24.
hendrixstrat
Headlining Clubs

Post by hendrixstrat »

Taking a poll to help me decide..Covered or open coil buckers on a Les Paul?
choppersauce

Post by choppersauce »

hendrixstrat wrote:Taking a poll to help me decide..Covered or open coil buckers on a Les Paul?

covered
I may not have sold a lot of records, but Ive sold a lot of beer.