El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Gibsonite wrote:Hey guys,anyone know where I can get a (free) online copy of the guitar blue book price guide?Been looking for awhile but I haven't had any luck yet.
I don't think so, but if you do a search like "Ovation Breadwinner""blue book", sometimes you get lucky. If that fails, I usually head down to the local Books-A-Million and flip through their copy.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act
Location: Standing in the Winner's Circle with the Gold Ring kissed.

Post by ElToro »

scorpion death wrote:ElToro!

Know of a place in AZ I can take a Line6 AX2 for a repair?
Ouch! Maybe M-Troniks in Mesa. That's some old modeling. What's wrong with it?
Darwin says "let him die."
www.myspace.com/kingeltorothebull
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19dWs0pOAKc
1988 Good Times, damn good times...
scorpion death
Playing Frat Parties

Post by scorpion death »

ElToro wrote:

The guitar volume knob clips at 360 indefinitely and sounds like a 747 landing at a slight touch. The amp is my at home amp that sounds like anything out there that you'd want. All of the sudden the guitar volume knob didn't feel right...real soft. And when I turned on the amp and I heard the big bang I wasn't too surprised. The amp doesn't go anywhere. Wasn't moved. The master volume is fine. The guitar volume is the problem as it will clip but, if someone lightly bumps into it, it sounds like a Bobby Dahl solo on 11.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

exitflagger wrote:I'm about to fucking die waiting for my Greco Les Paul to come in. Slow boat from Japan is slow. :|
What's it been, a month? It HAS to get here pretty soon, doesn't it? I sympathize; waiting a week for UPS is bad enough for me!
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

Tenacious_Dio wrote:
Gibsonite wrote:Hey guys,anyone know where I can get a (free) online copy of the guitar blue book price guide?Been looking for awhile but I haven't had any luck yet.
I don't think so, but if you do a search like "Ovation Breadwinner""blue book", sometimes you get lucky. If that fails, I usually head down to the local Books-A-Million and flip through their copy.
Thanks,I'll try that.Oddly enough,I'm trying to get a ballpark figure on what my mint condition '90 Ovation 1778 Elite (American made) is worth.It's a great sounding guitar,especially for live work,but since I picked up a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe a few years ago I just don't play it much anymore and it's just gathering dust.I checked ebay but there aren't any from that era on there right now
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

scorpion death wrote:
ElToro wrote:

The guitar volume knob clips at 360 indefinitely and sounds like a 747 landing at a slight touch. The amp is my at home amp that sounds like anything out there that you'd want. All of the sudden the guitar volume knob didn't feel right...real soft. And when I turned on the amp and I heard the big bang I wasn't too surprised. The amp doesn't go anywhere. Wasn't moved. The master volume is fine. The guitar volume is the problem as it will clip but, if someone lightly bumps into it, it sounds like a Bobby Dahl solo on 11.
Bronson Guitarworks in Scottsdale may be the authorized center. Just sounds like a bad pot.
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
scorpion death
Playing Frat Parties

Post by scorpion death »

ElToro wrote:Bronson Guitarworks in Scottsdale may be the authorized center. Just sounds like a bad pot.
Thanks man! I'll look into it. I'm 99.9% sure it's a bad pot but it isn't as simple as replacing it. Not an easy fix. I took the whole thing apart just to find I couldn't simply loosen nuts and re-solder. I'll update this. These modelers aren't simple in any way! Thanks again!
exitflagger
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by exitflagger »

lerxstcat wrote:
exitflagger wrote:I'm about to fucking die waiting for my Greco Les Paul to come in. Slow boat from Japan is slow. :|
What's it been, a month? It HAS to get here pretty soon, doesn't it? I sympathize; waiting a week for UPS is bad enough for me!
The official shipping time is 6-8 weeks. We're at about 5 right now. I'm about 4 1/2 weeks past ready. But I still don't regret not dealing out an extra 100 bucks for the next shipping level which would have only knocked 3 weeks off the wait time.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

I don't blame you a bit for that! You'd still be waiting a long time anyway! If $100 extra meant delivery in a week that'd be cool, but to still wait nearly a month, may as well just tough it out.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Some of those Grecos sound awesome!
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

The new G-DECs are amazing. Ever try one?
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

No, but I'm thinking about the Mustang 150w stereo head. Only $299 and the demos sound really good on Youtube. I already have 2 Carvin 212 slant cabs and I think they'd go great with that head for a compact rig with great stereo separation, and light to carry too!
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

ElToro wrote:The new G-DECs are amazing. Ever try one?
I had one when they first came out. Fun practice tool. But I was disappointed in the G-DEC 3. Couldn't find a lot of backing tracks or preset tones that I like. Ended up buying a Roland JS-8 Eband. Love it.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

You are correct... great practice tool!

The Mustang heads are good for the dough, but still not like a tube monster, so don't be disappointed.

I am trading for a Jackson DK27B today. Should be fun.
Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

Tenacious_Dio wrote:Ended up buying a Roland JS-8 Eband. Love it.
I hadn't seen that yet. If it had bass presets too I'd be all over it.
my bestest friend ever deathcurse wrote:Space Bear is boring. He'll cry about this and I won't read it because he just sucks and makes me want to get hit by a car.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Yeah, it's a modeler so I don't expect true tube response - I have tube amps anyway. Just thinking it would be cool and fun. The little Jet City head is fun too, but in a different direction. Does a few things really well but not that versatile. The Mustang does a lot of things PRETTY well but is not really outstanding. I can always run the line out into my Peavey Triumph's return and have stereo in solid state with a 60-watt 112 tube center channel.
Hybridization!
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I've been watching YouTubes on that eBand... it's fucking cool! Better than the G-Dec.

I just bought an on Peavey strat style USA guitar for $82! It plays amazing. I think I'm going to take the name off her, relic it and add jumbo stainless for shits and giggles.

This project needs a new home. Anyone want to buy/trade for a Destroyer with an Edge III trem?
Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

ElToro wrote:I just bought an on Peavey strat style USA guitar for $82! It plays amazing. I think I'm going to take the name off her, relic it and add jumbo stainless for shits and giggles.
Pics!
my bestest friend ever deathcurse wrote:Space Bear is boring. He'll cry about this and I won't read it because he just sucks and makes me want to get hit by a car.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

My wife and daughter returned last night and have the camera in their luggage. I'll get some, but the relic'ing has already begun.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Space Bear wrote:
ElToro wrote:I just bought an on Peavey strat style USA guitar for $82! It plays amazing. I think I'm going to take the name off her, relic it and add jumbo stainless for shits and giggles.
Pics!
A USA Predator? Those are great! I had one several years back, paid $75 and it was sweet! Peavey really floated under the radar in the 80s! You scored a nice "Strat" there!
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

lerxstcat wrote:A USA Predator? Those are great! I had one several years back, paid $75 and it was sweet! Peavey really floated under the radar in the 80s! You scored a nice "Strat" there!
Exactly... amazing!
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Finally got my Black Magic Box back!!!
There's a GFS tuner, a Krank Cheetah Scream boost/buffer, a Morley Maverick Wah, an HBE PowerScreamer, the BMB has a Kompressor-PhazeVibe-FuLanger- delay, Dallas RangeMaster circuit!
Gitarrrjam
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by Gitarrrjam »

ElToro wrote:Finally got my Black Magic Box back!!!
There's a GFS tuner, a Krank Cheetah Scream boost/buffer, a Morley Maverick Wah, an HBE PowerScreamer, the BMB has a Kompressor-PhazeVibe-FuLanger- delay, Dallas RangeMaster circuit!
That's cool. Reminds me of a mini-David Gilmour type box. Im assuming it's true-bypass. I made me a few true bypass loopers for my pedalboard, but I might have to try something like you what did.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Stick to the looper, this was a pain and affected the effect sound a little... my jet engine sound disappated.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

ElToro wrote:
lerxstcat wrote:A USA Predator? Those are great! I had one several years back, paid $75 and it was sweet! Peavey really floated under the radar in the 80s! You scored a nice "Strat" there!
Exactly... amazing!

Currently $79 on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Peavey-Pred ... 2a11e31acb
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

Anyone deal with the Fender 5-year warranty on an amp? How'd the process work out?
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

cowpins wrote:
ElToro wrote:
Exactly... amazing!

Currently $79 on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Peavey-Pred ... 2a11e31acb
Looks just like my old one!
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

I'm not much of a Strat guy to be honest,never have been.If I want a Fender-type sound I almost always pick up my Tele,but I bought a Peavey Falcon back in '89 and really liked it.It's been modded along the way with a Duncan Little '59 in the bridge,an on/off switch for the bridge pickup so I can get all 7 combinations,graphite nut & saddles and the neck has been sanded down to the wood for a nicer feel.It's a keeper for sure.If you can get a good deal on a Falcon I'd take it over a slightly cheaper Predator.Like you guys were saying,Peavey made some great stuff back in the day.Here's ol' Krusty..

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

What's the difference between a Predator and a Falcon?
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

Umm...better wood and hardware I guess.All the Falcons I've seen have pretty nice flame maple necks and some came with the Kahler (I think) version of the Floyd Rose.Mine was about 650 bucks when I bought it - not much less than an American Strat at the time,but liked the Peavey a lot more than the Fender.Go figure.. lol