El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act
Location: Standing in the Winner's Circle with the Gold Ring kissed.

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by ElToro »

are those Petruccis?
Darwin says "let him die."
www.myspace.com/kingeltorothebull
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19dWs0pOAKc
1988 Good Times, damn good times...
Mongo
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Mongo »

Last edited by Mongo on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let's not argue whose idea it was to bring the Lawn Darts and Tequila. We need to all work together to fix the hole in this guy's head."
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Last edited by Mongo on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Let's not argue whose idea it was to bring the Lawn Darts and Tequila. We need to all work together to fix the hole in this guy's head."
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

ElToro wrote:are those Petruccis?
Yea.

I still need the P1 and P4 to finish the set out.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

No wonder you're touchy abut Ibanezes, lol.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Mongo

Post by Mongo »

I usually dont share pictures of the guitars I own.
The majority of the time all you catch is shit over why, how, ..........

And I dont want to look like a dick who's bragging. Ok Sleek, I threw that ball right down the middle now knock that motherfucker out of the park.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

what happened to the pics?
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Mongo wrote:I usually dont share pictures of the guitars I own.

And I dont want to look like a dick who's bragging. Ok Sleek, I threw that ball right down the middle now knock that motherfucker out of the park.
I don't care about anybody's preference and have no brand loyalty myself. They are just baseball bats with some wires on them.

My argument was just nobody I like uses Ibanezes and nobody wants to be handed one if they rent studio time somewhere.

I *may* have used some heightened language to get more fun out of those statements :lol:

When I was with the LA Guns in the '80's and early '90's we had two periods where the band were Ibanez endorsees, and they were solid guitars. My favorites were the cheap ones from the late '80's, RG somethings (Pointier strats, Hum single Hum config). They used to send us fucktons of those. We treated them like shit and they stood up, and they were usually ready to go out of the box.

The second time I was kinda pissed, because I got fired for a while then got asked to come back, and when I left, I had *finally* gotten Tracii in good with Fender, and when I came back he had these gay little Ibanez customs...he went over to them because they offered to make him whatever he wanted...

But it just hurt my head...you can have the best strats and teles available, and you go with Ibanez :?

Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Sleek wrote:
Mongo wrote:I usually dont share pictures of the guitars I own.

I don't care about anybody's preference and have no brand loyalty myself. They are just baseball bats with some wires on them.

My argument was just nobody I like uses Ibanezes and nobody wants to be handed one if they rent studio time somewhere.

I *may* have used some heightened language to get more fun out of those statements :lol:

When I was with the LA Guns in the '80's and early '90's we had two periods where the band were Ibanez endorsees, and they were solid guitars. My favorites were the cheap ones from the late '80's, RG somethings (Pointier strats, Hum single Hum config). They used to send us fucktons of those. We treated them like shit and they stood up, and they were usually ready to go out of the box.

The second time I was kinda pissed, because I got fired for a while then got asked to come back, and when I left, I had *finally* gotten Tracii in good with Fender, and when I came back he had these gay little Ibanez customs...he went over to them because they offered to make him whatever he wanted...

But it just hurt my head...you can have the best strats and teles available, and you go with Ibanez :?
It's all good. My posts were a little off the cuff also.

I love Les Paul's. I love a heavy guitar. The weight generally adds a certain tone that you can't get from thin guitars, without tweaking.
I also like the Strats. Putting a Lil Demon in the bridge adds a lot of beef. Generally the tone you get from the neck pickup on a Strat is hard to duplicate. It's that buttery goodness that Dave Smith from Maiden is known for.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I don't really care for Pauls. I tried to make friends with a few and just never cared for the "fine furniture that weighs a fuckton" feel.

I kinda play whatever the gig calls for these days, though in a Desert Island situation, I'd take an Epiphone Riviera...or a superstrat.

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I'm a whore. I like just about anything, even an Ibanez on occasion.

I wish I could find my old #1. It was a prototype Soloist with an Explorer headstock.

All in all, I usually grab a Les Paul for tone.
T.O.N. of green
Playing Frat Parties

Post by T.O.N. of green »

I made my best score ever on ebay. Picked up a TC Electronics 1128 equalizer for $50. Works perfectly. I think a sound company must have been liquidating because ebay was flooded with these things earlier this week. This is undoubtedly the best sounding EQ I have ever seen or used.

Also picked up a bunch of stuff from guitar fetish, including this Alnico II humbucker. Sounds great. Also mixes very well with the Duncan 59 in the neck position of my blue partscaster.

And last but not least, I changed the speakers in my 2x12 cab. Replaced a pair of WGS Green Berets with a pair of WGS ET-65s. So far I'm liking the ET-65s a bit better. They seem a little less treble intensive than the Green Berets, which is a good thing when using my Mesa. The Mesa can fry your ears with highs if you're not careful.

Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

I dusted off one of these critters.
I've been playing it with a Bic lighter in place of a raja bar.

"If someone on this committee then starts talking about somebody's bleach blond, bad-built butch body, that would not be engaging in personalities, correct?"
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

TC makes some great stuff.

I recently tried an Eleven Rack thru studio monitors and it sounded incredible. But!!!! It really is overkill. So much stuff on it that, who truly has the time to sit and read the manual to ensure they get their monies worth?
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I am trading my P90 LP for a Studio and a Tele Custom tonight!
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

ugh... guy freaked out, like up for days on meth freaked out
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Anything new? I bought a Wild Kat for giggles.
Olds_71_442
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Olds_71_442 »

Mongo wrote:TC makes some great stuff.

I recently tried an Eleven Rack thru studio monitors and it sounded incredible. But!!!! It really is overkill. So much stuff on it that, who truly has the time to sit and read the manual to ensure they get their monies worth?
I love my Eleven Rack. I found a site that had special made Eleven Rack patches, as I very rarely set up my own tone. I prefer to use the presets or these imported patches (one is a Mesa Boogie Road King tone). I also use my old Boss GT 10 in the effects loop for extra effects like Harmonizer or Octaver.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Don't you feel it lacks some of the depth of the originals?
Olds_71_442
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Olds_71_442 »

A little. Some of the tones are a bit synthetic, but still good, to me. I only play as a hobby now so it doesn't make sense to spend a lot on amps.

Here's a video where a guy compares his Eleven Rack to an actual Mesa Road King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jfEjY_75Io
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Sounds better than the Roadking!
Olds_71_442
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Olds_71_442 »

It does. I just use the presets, myself. It would take a lot of time to tweak it to get the type of tone you really want. That, and you have to be a bit of a electronics geek to figure out all the little things it can do. Not as complicated as the Axe Fx, but it's still quite complicated. I like to run mine through my pa system and use Superior Drummer through my ER soundcard to jam in my practice room.
_cameron_
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by _cameron_ »

Olds_71_442 wrote:It does. I just use the presets, myself. It would take a lot of time to tweak it to get the type of tone you really want. That, and you have to be a bit of a electronics geek to figure out all the little things it can do. Not as complicated as the Axe Fx, but it's still quite complicated. I like to run mine through my pa system and use Superior Drummer through my ER soundcard to jam in my practice room.
The thing about the digital modeling stuff is ...live use...... and I do like the tones you can get with them.....but they will just disappear in the mix ..to me.. they almost sound out of phase when you are far back from them.
I can tell ..its a modeling amp..before I see what the guy is using......although the DI and speaker sims on the AXE FX and some of the others ...help to get around this and are very good......like you are doing.
If you get a JCM 800 ..then get the same tone with the modeling amp..... through the same type of cab... put side by side.. the more you back away ...the less you will hear the modeling amp. I have an old Line 6 FT with a little more gain added to the input op-amp that I love and use for practice or grab and go jam amp.....Just for me ..there is nothing like a good tube amp... but I'm simple ...I'm just a plugin and play guy I don't need all the other FX and stuff ..but...I do want to check out the Eleven Rack at some point...
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Olds_71_442
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Olds_71_442 »

_cameron_ wrote:
Olds_71_442 wrote:It does. I just use the presets, myself. It would take a lot of time to tweak it to get the type of tone you really want. That, and you have to be a bit of a electronics geek to figure out all the little things it can do. Not as complicated as the Axe Fx, but it's still quite complicated. I like to run mine through my pa system and use Superior Drummer through my ER soundcard to jam in my practice room.
The thing about the digital modeling stuff is ...live use...... and I do like the tones you can get with them.....but they will just disappear in the mix ..to me.. they almost sound out of phase when you are far back from them.
I can tell ..its a modeling amp..before I see what the guy is using......although the DI and speaker sims on the AXE FX and some of the others ...help to get around this and are very good......like you are doing.
If you get a JCM 800 ..then get the same tone with the modeling amp..... through the same type of cab... put side by side.. the more you back away ...the less you will hear the modeling amp. I have an old Line 6 FT with a little more gain added to the input op-amp that I love and use for practice or grab and go jam amp.....Just for me ..there is nothing like a good tube amp... but I'm simple ...I'm just a plugin and play guy I don't need all the other FX and stuff ..but...I do want to check out the Eleven Rack at some point...
I try to be a plug-in and play kind of guy, but I get bored with the same tones too easily. I could be using a certain tone one day and I'll get tired of it within a few weeks or even a few days. I like experimenting with different types of effects just to see what it will do. I even like to move them around in the set up order because that can change a tone dramatically as well. I like to compare my guitar gear to the tools in my garage. There may be tools I won't use for years, but it's great to have when the opportunity presents itself. That's why I have so many effects available to me. The Eleven Rack doesn't have as many effects as the Axe Fx, but I use my old Boss GT 10 for the extra effects by connecting both machines through the FX Loop. I also like the delay on my GT-10 better than the one available on the Eleven Rack.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

That's why you need 1000 guitars too!
Olds_71_442
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Olds_71_442 »

I'm at 27, right now! 8)

I've got a long way to go, yet.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I'm down to about 16 or so. I traded 6 in for an 8-string being built for my son... he's a BEAST!
I may sell my "Lucky STiFF".. it's a 20w from Tony Krank's new company.
Olds_71_442
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Olds_71_442 »

Who's building the 8 string? The only 8 strings I've played around here are made by Agile. A company I'd never heard of until a few years ago. The finger stretch reminded me of playing my 6 string bass.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Brent Gutierrez is building it. She's multiscale, fan fret (27) and black limba... little fuk'r better be happy.

http://gutierrezguitars.squarespace.com/