El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

exitflagger
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by exitflagger »

The most distorted stuff I play is in the range of the Ramones or AC/DC. But I tend more toward power pop, particularly if it has interesting arpeggio figures. Old style punk too with surfy/twangy tone. A little blues. Not much metal unless it's pre-80s.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

Peterbilt wrote:A little help. Anyone remember the model name of the Charvel with the reverse headstock and toothpaste logo Tommy Victor is playing in the "Unconditional" video? I thought it was a Dinky? https://youtu.be/s1H9O53onxA
looks like a mutt...charvel 3dr body with a spectrum maple neck...d.m.

on second thought it could be a predator body as well...i just dont recall ever seeing either model with a maple fretboard
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

My new Sheraton arrived, yesterday.

After a few hours behind it, I can say that it's a really great guitar. The coil splitting pickups are great and I can dial in a ton of different tones going between single coil and humbuckers, rolling off the volume a bit, messing with the tone knobs, etc. It's probably the most versatile guitar I've owned.
I probably wouldn't go with the natural finish though, had I to buy it all over again. I thought it was going to be more like an acoustic where the wood grain isn't quite so pronounced. I also don't like gold hardware on anything, but they all come with it.
The inlay is gorgeous, though.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
AndiiChrist
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by AndiiChrist »

Nice Sheraton Mojo.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:
Stevie looks like my twin!
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Thanks. Loving it more each time I play it.
Image Image
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Oh man, I put the TV Jones Filtertron pickup in my old Ibanez Artist and this thing sounds fucking AMAZING!

Dude that did the install for me had a family emergency and went MIA with my guitar for almost a month. Finally got it back today and I wish I had done this years ago. What a crazy, unique sound it gets. The breakup is so cool and growly sounding and the cleans are all twangy and "liquidy" if that makes sense. I got it wired with a coil splitter and I can do all kinds of things with it.

Thanks to Sleek (and another guitar player friend of mine) for the recommendations.
ImageImage
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

TV Jones is nothing but quality across the board. They're fantastic. I had a pair of TV Jones Classics in my Falcon, and they were incredible.
Image Image
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Mojo wrote:TV Jones is nothing but quality across the board. They're fantastic. I had a pair of TV Jones Classics in my Falcon, and they were incredible.
This one is the Classic. I had only played with Filterton / Gretsch pickups in semi-hollow guitars and I had gotten hung up on the idea of sticking one in one of my solid-bodies. Like I said earlier there's a local guy here, kind of a guitar icon in this area, and for a few years he has been playing a custom telecaster with Filtertrons and I couldn't figure out if his sound was coming from his amp, his effects or the pickups. But he has a fantastic sound and I wanted to try to approximate it. I see now that a big part of his sound is coming from the Filtertrons.

This thing comes up with a crazy blend with the neck humbucker when I put it in the intermediate switch position too. All kinds of neat harmonics.

I'm blown away. I have a new favorite guitar and it just so happens that I've owned it since 1993. :lol:
ImageImage
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Got a Fender Squire Bullet Mustang after seeing lots or rave reviews.

Great project guitar, but it's still a Squire, so I just ordered a sticker to cover up the logo:

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
poisonheart
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by poisonheart »

You guize got yer official Gibson relic'd case yet? Only $599 while supplies last!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... -hand-aged
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

poisonheart wrote:You guize got yer official Gibson relic'd case yet? Only $599 while supplies last!
Oh, for fuck's sake. Can Gibson just shut the fuck up and go away, at this point?
Image Image
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Need opinions: I have an opportunity to trade and use commission money from an amp sale to buy a Hallmark guitar exactly like this one shown below. The asking price is $900. I didn't know much about Hallmark but found out it's made by the people who used to run Mosrite and apparently started their own division with the Mosrite build and design. Guitar plays and sounds great, perfect, like new condition. 900 seems pricey but I know these can go for almost double that price. If things work out I would only come out of pocket about $200 with trade and credit. Worth it? Thoughts/opinions?

ImageImage
TheDeadBastard
Headlining Clubs

Post by TheDeadBastard »

A good looking guitar *if* you like Mosrites, but I always thought they were the guitar equivalent of Patrick Swayze's brother: everything is just slightly off enough to look retarded.
ImageImage
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

exitflagger wrote:Need opinions: I have an opportunity to trade and use commission money from an amp sale to buy a Hallmark guitar exactly like this one shown below. The asking price is $900. I didn't know much about Hallmark but found out it's made by the people who used to run Mosrite and apparently started their own division with the Mosrite build and design. Guitar plays and sounds great, perfect, like new condition. 900 seems pricey but I know these can go for almost double that price. If things work out I would only come out of pocket about $200 with trade and credit. Worth it? Thoughts/opinions?

I say go for it. They clearly have the Mosrite look down, and even own the headstock design.
I love my Mosrite Johnny Ramone model, the headstock is super narrow, but plays and sounds great.
And people love it and offer to buy it all the time.

I also like the surfy "retarded" look to them.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
stocknsocks

Post by stocknsocks »

I’m about to bring up a sore subject between myself and my father. He took guitar lessons when he was in high school and his guitar teacher sold him his guitar. This was in the 60’s so the price wasn’t too bad so the old man bought it. Fast forward 30 years. Dad gives me the guitar to learn how to play. We’re short money so he sells it for a couple grand and I’m pissed. The guitar had the best sound, original case, an really kicked ass.

That guitar was an original 1956 Gibson Les Paul gold top. I could pay off my house with the price it’s worth now. Not sure if this is the right thread to post this but I think of that guitar often.
Live like a legend, die like an asshole.
Sir Lancelot
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Sir Lancelot »

I just bought this guy to celebrate my new job. Has two Seymour Duncans, Lil 59 and Jazz in the neck.
My first Tele ever, figured it was time. I was watching a video of Steven Wilson and how he was inspired to record his new CD with a MIM Tele he had laying around his house. I figured if they are good enough for him......
I might swap out the pups. My dad has a bunch of old Tele pickups laying around his studio. We'll see.

poisonheart
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by poisonheart »

So I just found an old Squier in the trash. The neck was true and had a really nice slab of rosewood for the fingerboard, so I'm gonna turn this into a project. I've replaced all the hardware with decent shit from my parts drawer and leveled, crowned, and polished the frets, so now it's time to throw some workable electronics in there. Given what it is, I don't want to spend a pretty (or even un-pretty) penny on this.

I'm thinking about a pre-wired GFS pickguard with a single PAF-style humbucker. I've never bought from Guitar Fetish before and have heard mixed reviews, though. Anybody got any experience with their pickups/electronics? Alternate suggestions on pre-wired PGs? I'm a tard when it comes to soldering, so I'd like to keep that to a minimum.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

I've got no input on guitar teching but I'll say that between a 5000 dollar guitar and one that gets dug out of the trash, I'm going to say the latter is more likely to be the one you'll write a rock masterpiece on. All you have to do is head down to the crossroads with it and the rest will take care of itself.
ImageImage
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

poisonheart wrote:So I just found an old Squier in the trash. The neck was true and had a really nice slab of rosewood for the fingerboard, so I'm gonna turn this into a project. I've replaced all the hardware with decent shit from my parts drawer and leveled, crowned, and polished the frets, so now it's time to throw some workable electronics in there. Given what it is, I don't want to spend a pretty (or even un-pretty) penny on this.

I'm thinking about a pre-wired GFS pickguard with a single PAF-style humbucker. I've never bought from Guitar Fetish before and have heard mixed reviews, though. Anybody got any experience with their pickups/electronics? Alternate suggestions on pre-wired PGs? I'm a tard when it comes to soldering, so I'd like to keep that to a minimum.
Da fuk kind of Squier is it? Strat? Tele? Duo-sonic?

I'll be playing the viper room tonight with a squier with GFS pickups. They have my favorite strat set.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

poisonheart
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by poisonheart »

Sleek wrote: Da fuk kind of Squier is it? Strat? Tele? Duo-sonic?

I'll be playing the viper room tonight with a squier with GFS pickups. They have my favorite strat set.
Sweet. It’s a Strat routed for HSS. What set are you using?
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I'm using their alnico Texas set. I think it is this one:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/1959-Strat ... _2097.html

That being said, the one thing I haven't found from GFS is a great humbucker for a strat. I HAVE had good luck with their retrotron humbuckers in other, thicker guitars tho. They are just sort of midrange heavy hums and can cut through the mud of a big piece of wood. https://www.guitarfetish.com/KP--Hot-Li ... 21926.html

I use a couple squier stagemasters for superstrat metal shit, and I just put obscenely hot pickups in those...BC Rich BDSM or Dimarzio X2n...whatever works.

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

NGD!!!

Image Image
Gazpacho
THREAD AIDS

Post by Gazpacho »

I just ordered my first build kit.

Cheap one, Strat style.

I’ve got an old high school friend whose 9 yr old son just started taking lessons on a beat up cheap acoustic
He posted a video of him (kinda) playing “Kashmir” a couple days ago.

I thought it would be cool to build it and ship it to the kid
It was refreshing to see a 9 yr old actually learning guitar and Zeppelin at that, in an era of horrible rap/pop/hip hop crap that’s being put out.

Any advice ahead of time?

I know tuners and pups with be shit, but it will be his 1 st electric, so tough shit.

I did order copper tape to insulate the inside with?

Is that necessary?
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Gazpacho wrote:I just ordered my first build kit.

Cheap one, Strat style.

I’ve got an old high school friend whose 9 yr old son just started taking lessons on a beat up cheap acoustic

It was refreshing to see a 9 yr old actually learning guitar and Zeppelin at that, in an era of horrible rap/pop/hip hop crap that’s being put out.

I know tuners and pups with be shit, but it will be his 1 st electric, so tough shit.

Is that necessary?
This is confounding to me on many levels. I have questions.

A: Are you good at building and finishing a guitar?

A1: If you have never done it and it might play sound like shit, arent you spending a lot of money on parts that may make a substandard piece of crap?
A2: If you're finishing it, is it going to look as nice as an off the rack paint job?

or maybe you're going to make something kind of awesome

A3: If you are making something kind of cool, with hours of blood and sweat, why give it to some 9 year old? Why not cherish it?
A3a: Especially if you are going to finish it? Isnt a 9 year old just gonna fuck it up?

With all the lower priced guitars being pretty good, isn't this either a waste of effort (if it;'s bad), or a gift to someone too young to appreciate it (if it's good)?

Are you gonna paint his name or some crap into it?

hmm, that's all I have. For now......
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Sir Lancelot
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Sir Lancelot »

Cheap one, Strat style.

Is that necessary?
Check out the youtuber Guns and Guitars. He has a lot of cool videos on building kits so I'm sure you could pick up a few tips before you dive in. They look like fun little projects.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Sir Lancelot wrote:

Cheap one, Strat style.

Is that necessary?
Check out the youtuber Guns and Guitars. He has a lot of cool videos on building kits so I'm sure you could pick up a few tips before you dive in. They look like fun little projects.
Youtube has new rules. The page is now called "And Guitars"
metalslayer

Post by metalslayer »

HueyRamone wrote:

Cheap one, Strat style.

Is that necessary?

A1: If you have never done it and it might play sound like shit, arent you spending a lot of money on parts that may make a substandard piece of crap?
A2: If you're finishing it, is it going to look as nice as an off the rack paint job?

A3: If you are making something kind of cool, with hours of blood and sweat, why give it to some 9 year old? Why not cherish it?
A3a: Especially if you are going to finish it? Isnt a 9 year old just gonna fuck it up?

With all the lower priced guitars being pretty good, isn't this either a waste of effort (if it;'s bad), or a gift to someone too young to appreciate it (if it's good)?

Maybe Gaz wants to do something nice for a friends kid, ha ha!

What a douche!!! How dare you Gaz!!!
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

metalslayer wrote:
HueyRamone wrote:

Cheap one, Strat style.

Is that necessary?

Maybe Gaz wants to do something nice for a friends kid, ha ha!

What a douche!!! How dare you Gaz!!!

Sir. I require answers.

If Gaz is an inept builder, then giving the kid a shitty guitar is not "nice"
If he's a killer builder, maybe he's spending too much time on a kid who barely played a lick from kashmir and would be better served with a Squier, while Gaz keeps the masterpiece for himself
If it's a personalization thing, then I guess I could see it... maybe.

Answers I require and answers I will have.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Most of those Strat kits come with pre-wired pickguards that you just screw into place. Bodies are usually pre-finished. All you really have to do is bolt the neck on, screw the pickguard into place, and put strings on it. They're very hard to fuck up. Not sure what sort of kit Gaz got, but they're pretty forgiving.

Definitely do shield the pickup cavities.

Also, fuck you all for ignoring the new Gretsch I got today. I expect praise, God damn it.
Image Image
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

There's more to it than that.

The trickiest part of any guitar is getting the neck angle/fret/nut/bridge relationship set up right.

I'd rather start with something I could play where the neck and body felt good together and the frets were dressed, the truss rod was adjusted and the neck was well seated and shimmed if necessary than start from scratch.

I actually do that a lot, where I buy a Squier or something that feels good, then just change the wiring, pickups and hardware until it's good.