El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by Mojo »

Gazpacho wrote:
Mojo wrote:
Gazpacho wrote: Kid got it UPS last night and was happy as hell.
The kid almost came on it.

But srs, it was cool as shit.
It was hilarious.....”I love life” he said...lol

I hope he becomes a monster player.

Was wearing a Beatles shirt and loves Zeppelin, don’t have many 9 yr olds listening to that stuff now days.
I hope he does, too. Even if he doesn't learn to play, hopefully he'll still grow up into the music.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
Gazpacho
THREAD AIDS

Post by Gazpacho »

He’s taking lessons now.
His dad posted a video of him struggling thru “Kashmir” on a beat up old acoustic a couple of weeks ago.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Gazpacho wrote:He’s taking lessons now.
His dad posted a video of him struggling thru “Kashmir” on a beat up old acoustic a couple of weeks ago.
That's awesome. I hope he sticks with it.
Image Image
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Yes, it was incredibly cool. The kid almost pissed himself Well done, my friend.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
T.O.N. of green
Playing Frat Parties

Post by T.O.N. of green »

I recently picked up one of these. Egnater tweaker 88. So far I really like this amp. Got it for $450 at Sweetwater. The only thing I wish it had was a presence control, but I compensate for that with my EQ rig. Also might try rolling a few tubes in it. Sometimes a tung sol in the first preamp stage will brighten up a dark amp. Image
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

1967 Mosrites (COLLECT ' 'EM ALL! TRADE 'EM WITH YER FRIENDS!)

"The worst celebrity golf cheat? I wish I could tell you that. It would be a shocker. I played golf with Donald Trump one time. That's all I'm going to say." - Alice Cooper
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Turner Coates wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:31 pm 1967 Mosrites (COLLECT ' 'EM ALL! TRADE 'EM WITH YER FRIENDS!)

Very psychedelic looking. I almost mistook 'em for sitars there for a moment.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

I almost mistook them for lap slides.....or skateboards.

"The worst celebrity golf cheat? I wish I could tell you that. It would be a shocker. I played golf with Donald Trump one time. That's all I'm going to say." - Alice Cooper
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Anybody know where the talent knob or switch on this thang is?

exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Question for Gretsch people here :arrow: I was looking at an Electromatic pretty much like this one here:

I've noticed that the ones they carry at the local guitar shop are all made in Korea and are fairly reasonable in pricing. Is there a gradation of quality in Gretsch guitars similar to Fender where it's like the US-Mexico-China step down in price and quality? In other words, are any of them made in USA anymore and if so, is that reflected by an uptick in price and quality?
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

No idea, but I did but one of the gretsch streamliners, Abd it is pretty awful.

I put better pickups in it, but it still never felt right. Like, the neck just sat in the wrong place, and the neck really shifted depending on humidity and heat.

I also have an electromatic. It is a much better guitar, but they are very different models, so a 1:1 comparison is nonsensical.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

70s - Home-made in Bulgaria

This may be the ugliest mess of a guitar I've ever seen.

David Lee Hasselhoff
Headlining Clubs

Post by David Lee Hasselhoff »

I have just had an epiphany: The Marshall JCM800 is the most overrated amp ever. The saying goes that all great 80s Metal tones were recorded with a JCM800. Maiden, Priest, early Metallica, G'n'R, ... the lot. As it turns out, none of them used a JCM800 for their classic tones. They all used a Plexi. I want a Plexi. Or a JMP. A JMP and a desolate place to play it in.

And this is as sexy as a cuboid can get:

"Even my songwriting has been adversely affected as my guitar brushes against my sensitive breasts thus disrupting my very concentration ceasing valuable production.”
Engine13
Headlining Clubs

Post by Engine13 »

suckit wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:10 am saw a used 50w Marshall JCM900 EL34 dual reverb head for sale in the local music shop...worth a look? they're asking $699.
I've got a 100w JCM900 dual reverb, and I've not been able to get anything great out of it. It's punchy, but somewhat flat sounding. 90's rock all the way. The cleans did surprise me with how good they are. I'm still working with it, trying different pedal combos.

I listed it on clist with a 1960 cab for $1k and got zero bites. I think $699 might be a bit much for just a head.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Engine13 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:56 am
suckit wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:10 am saw a used 50w Marshall JCM900 EL34 dual reverb head for sale in the local music shop...worth a look? they're asking $699.
I've got a 100w JCM900 dual reverb, and I've not been able to get anything great out of it. It's punchy, but somewhat flat sounding. 90's rock all the way. The cleans did surprise me with how good they are. I'm still working with it, trying different pedal combos.

I listed it on clist with a 1960 cab for $1k and got zero bites. I think $699 might be a bit much for just a head.
Get yourself a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret pedal. $150. Play it through whatever. Thing’s badass.
Image Image
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I have a jcm800 2203. Almost never use it.

When I need the marshall sound, I usually use one of my 2 jcm 2000 Tsls. I.love them, but you gotta have a guy, because about every two years something goes wrong with them.

Another great thing I use for classic metal sounds at club volumes is a marshall artist 3203, which is a hybrid amp but sounds like a great jcm800 but at 30 watts, so you can get the power tubes cooking. They still go pretty cheap.

https://wgsusa.com/marshalls-great-slee ... t-32034203

DLS is a great pedal. I have a wampler plexi drive that does great marshall tones too, though I mostly use a supro pedal for my base tone these days.

David Lee Hasselhoff
Headlining Clubs

Post by David Lee Hasselhoff »

Sleek wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:25 pm I have a jcm800 2203. Almost never use it.

When I need the marshall sound, I usually use one of my 2 jcm 2000 Tsls. I.love them, but you gotta have a guy, because about every two years something goes wrong with them.

Another great thing I use for classic metal sounds at club volumes is a marshall artist 3203, which is a hybrid amp but sounds like a great jcm800 but at 30 watts, so you can get the power tubes cooking. They still go pretty cheap.

https://wgsusa.com/marshalls-great-slee ... t-32034203

DLS is a great pedal. I have a wampler plexi drive that does great marshall tones too, though I mostly use a supro pedal for my base tone these days.
I've just watched a couple of demos of the Artist. Not too shabby!
I own a JCM800 too, but it's left to bedroom duty. I like it. Even at bedroom level volume I'd take it over many other amps. I wonder if it's worth buying some fancy attenuator though.
"Even my songwriting has been adversely affected as my guitar brushes against my sensitive breasts thus disrupting my very concentration ceasing valuable production.”
AndiiChrist
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by AndiiChrist »

Bought a Moog Theremini last month. Plugged it into my guitar amp for Halloween for some creepy sound effects to entertain the trick or treaters.Image
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:
Stevie looks like my twin!
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

I WANT TO BUY THIS CHI-ING V!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-ho ... BtABEy2gjA

there's no way a guitar with a Floyd can be anything other than garbage for $176, right? Do you guys think it could be improved enough when I get it, or are there some things that are just too shitty to fix? Frets, horrible neck, horrible wood, etc...
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

HueyRamone wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:46 pm Do you guys think it could be improved enough when I get it, or are there some things that are just too shitty to fix? Frets, horrible neck, horrible wood, etc...
If worse comes to worst, you can always raise the nut and bridge saddle to make it a lap slide.

ribcage
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by ribcage »

HueyRamone wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:46 pm I WANT TO BUY THIS CHI-ING V!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-ho ... BtABEy2gjA

there's no way a guitar with a Floyd can be anything other than garbage for $176, right? Do you guys think it could be improved enough when I get it, or are there some things that are just too shitty to fix? Frets, horrible neck, horrible wood, etc...
I bought some Chibsons off there. They are just fine. I replaced pickups and did some setup work. But they're perfectly fine guitars. Especially for the very little bit of money I paid for them.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Can you fix the shape of the body and headstock?

Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

AndiiChrist
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by AndiiChrist »

Got it on sale this week. GForce tuning installed, has some sort of access heel I've only seen on a few Les Paul models- real easy on the upper frets.
I'm so used to humbuckers that the P90s sound a little shrill. Suggestions on dialing the amp in to accommodate?
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:
Stevie looks like my twin!
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

I noticed just something while watching Pirates Of The Caribbean - End. It was on cable.
There's a scene where Keith Richard's character noodles around on an old guitar. As he puts the guitar down, if you look closely, one of the tuning pegs is missing, and there's just the small hole where it was.
Keef was playing on a 5 string.

TheDeadBastard
Headlining Clubs

Post by TheDeadBastard »

Turner Coates wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:24 pm I noticed just something while watching Pirates Of The Caribbean - End. It was on cable.
There's a scene where Keith Richard's character noodles around on an old guitar. As he puts the guitar down, if you look closely, one of the tuning pegs is missing, and there's just the small hole where it was.
Isnt keef famous for playing without the low E?
ImageImage
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

TheDeadBastard wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:39 pm
Turner Coates wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:24 pm I noticed just something while watching Pirates Of The Caribbean - End. It was on cable.
Isnt keef famous for playing without the low E?
That's what I'm talkin' about.
It was a nod to him.

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Brought dis bitch home, today.

Image Image
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Mojo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:42 pm Brought dis bitch home, today.

You did the right thing!!!! What do you think so far?

Dont hurt yourself on the points, tho.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

HueyRamone wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:36 pm What do you think so far?
I like it right now. I thought it’d be really heavy, since I’m used to semi-hollows, but it’s actually pretty light and balanced. Easier access to the upper frets than I’m used to, which is also nice.
My Gretsch gets me closer to the sound in my head. There’s just not as much going on with the Explorer, tonewise. It looks cool and plays great, but the tone isn’t me. Still fun, though.
Image Image