El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

poisonheart
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by poisonheart »

The only Japanese guitar I’ve ever owned was (is) a Fender Japan Jazzmaster from the early aughts, before FMIC started to reissue the offsets in the States. Fit and finish were shit, and I ended up spending more on the (then brand new) Mastery Bridge than on the guitar itself, just to render it playable. (The tried and true Mustang bridge didn’t work for me, given my preference for .10s and the nonstandard metric break angle). Pickups were shrill Strat copies awkwardly shoved under a soap bar cover. Hardly an ESP.

Agree that Gibson has been shite since the Juszkiewicz years. My 94 standard with a fucking twisted neck (that was a trash rescue) still outshines any Gibson I’ve bought new since.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Jeez. I've had good guitars from pretty much everywhere. My main semi-hollow is Korean, my main strat is Indonesian, my main tele is Mexican, my main basses are Japanese and Swedish, my main 12 string electric is American, and my acoustics are French, Japanese and American.

I agree that Gibsons have been shit for the last 25 years or so. I have a couple from the last 10 years, and they both had issues that would be unacceptable on my Epiphones and Squiers (before I sorted them).
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

exitflagger
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by exitflagger »

Right but if you're looking at a specific model from a specific year or era and the overwhelming consensus says "Avoid this if made in (blank)", you get the drift that there's probably something to it. Particularly brand to brand and year to year this is all obviously very fluid.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Honestly, unless you can hold a guitar before buying it, there are no guarantees of quality.

I've played fifties Fenders and Gibsons that sucked ass. A name is just lettering.

exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Sleek wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:17 pm Honestly, unless you can hold a guitar before buying it, there are no guarantees of quality.

I've played fifties Fenders and Gibsons that sucked ass. A name is just lettering.
No doubt. All I'm saying is when buying online it becomes more of a gamble and anybody with common sense is either going to do their research and play the percentages or just feel like a dumbass when they accidentally buy a piece of shit. I'd rather be in the former category cuz I have experience in the latter and it kinda sucks.

One thing's for sure; there are a shitload of used Epiphone Les Pauls out there for sale. Holy shit.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
poisonheart
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by poisonheart »

exitflagger wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:50 pm
Sleek wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:17 pm Honestly, unless you can hold a guitar before buying it, there are no guarantees of quality.

No doubt. All I'm saying is when buying online it becomes more of a gamble and anybody with common sense is either going to do their research and play the percentages or just feel like a dumbass when they accidentally buy a piece of shit. I'd rather be in the former category cuz I have experience in the latter and it kinda sucks.

One thing's for sure; there are a shitload of used Epiphone Les Pauls out there for sale. Holy shit.
It IS a gamble, but I think that if you know what you’re doing and deal with a reputable merchant a la Sweetwater, it’s hard to go wrong. A basic set of Stew Mac tools will pay dividends in the long run. (In my experience. YMMV, obviously).
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

poisonheart wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:27 pm It IS a gamble, but I think that if you know what you’re doing and deal with a reputable merchant a la Sweetwater, it’s hard to go wrong. A basic set of Stew Mac tools will pay dividends in the long run. (In my experience. YMMV, obviously).
The folks at Sweetwater will jump through hoops to make sure you're satisfied with even the smallest transaction.
Hell, I get a followup call just for buying strings.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Turner Coates wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:35 pm
poisonheart wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:27 pm It IS a gamble, but I think that if you know what you’re doing and deal with a reputable merchant a la Sweetwater, it’s hard to go wrong. A basic set of Stew Mac tools will pay dividends in the long run. (In my experience. YMMV, obviously).
The folks at Sweetwater will jump through hoops to make sure you're satisfied with even the smallest transaction.
Hell, I get a followup call just for buying strings.
I used to buy from AMS, probably spent over $10,000 in the last year with them.
I bought my last guitar from Sweetwater, and it was a far superior experience to me.
The sales rep actually called me with a follow up and a couple days later texted back and forth with me about gear he plays.
I drew the line when he started texting nudes, but definitely good customer service.
poisonheart
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by poisonheart »

No one errs on the side of customer service more (nudes notwithstanding). I made a snarky reply to my rep about the quality of the candy in my last order and just received a shipment of fucking Tootsie Rolls.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

poisonheart wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:51 pm I made a snarky reply to my rep about the quality of the candy in my last order and just received a shipment of fucking Tootsie Rolls.
Did they really do that? I honestly don't know it you're kidding or not, but it sounds like something they would do.

poisonheart
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by poisonheart »

Turner Coates wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:57 pm
poisonheart wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:51 pm I made a snarky reply to my rep about the quality of the candy in my last order and just received a shipment of fucking Tootsie Rolls.
Did they really do that? I honestly don't know it you're kidding or not, but it sounds like something they would do.
Not kidding at all. Ask for Keaton.
VinnieVincentsVag

Turner Coates wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:57 pm
It does.
VinnieVincentsVag

poisonheart wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:59 pm Ask for Keaton.
Michael?
poisonheart
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by poisonheart »

I believe the full name is Keaton KeatonOn. But that might be a call center thing.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

poisonheart wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:59 pm
If I did that, my rep, Phil Potts, would probably commit seppuku.

VinnieVincentsVag

Turner Coates wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:08 pm
poisonheart wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:59 pm
If I did that, my rep, Phil Potts, would probably commit seppuku.
If you guys ask for my guy Tater Haskins, I get a 1% discount on my next order.
Thanks in advance
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:12 pm

Thanks in advance
"Tater?"

VinnieVincentsVag

Turner Coates wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:16 pm
VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:12 pm

Thanks in advance
"Tater?"

Mr. Haskins to you.
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

70s V. No issue with Gibson QC on this one. Pulled out the jeweler's glass and there's not a mark on it. Perfect frets, neck binding, joints, nut etc. She's a real baby at just a month old coming off the line in March.

"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Sir, I would like to commend you from breaking tradition with all the limpdick nancyboys on here with their roundyround PRSs, their low-T Wolfgangs, their wussmaster Superstrats and their lame-o Les Pauls, and getting a MANLY FUCKING BADASS LOOKING AXE!

Makes me jealous, and If I didnt already have 2 white Gibson Vs, i'd consider getting one. Love the headstock and the case looks great too.

What'd it set you back?
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

HueyRamone wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:10 pm Sir, I would like to commend you from breaking tradition with all the limpdick nancyboys on here with their roundyround PRSs, their low-T Wolfgangs, their wussmaster Superstrats and their lame-o Les Pauls, and getting a MANLY FUCKING BADASS LOOKING AXE!

Makes me jealous, and If I didnt already have 2 white Gibson Vs, i'd consider getting one. Love the headstock and the case looks great too.

What'd it set you back?
So...I'll preface by saying I'm certainly one of the sissy-boy strat/superstrat/les paul contributers, but I'm working on it.......The SRP on these is $2,199, but they're really hard to get, so they're selling on Reverb for $2,800 and up. I've had one on order for months with Sweetwater saying it could be a year or more. Long story short, I'm a camera guy and I know other photogs and came across a guy who got one directly from Gibson to use in a photo shoot. He used it for an hour, and just wanted to recoup his money. I offered him $2,100 even and he took it. So about $2,400 give or take w/ tax & ship. I'll add that I wouldn't take a PRS if it was given to me. Something about them really rubs me the wrong way.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Sweetwater does rule. Except for their candy. It blows...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
poisonheart
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by poisonheart »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:47 pm Sweetwater does rule. Except for their candy. It blows...
It really needs to be the 56th point of inspection.
Grendel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Grendel »

sirthx2 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:27 am 70s V. No issue with Gibson QC on this one. Pulled out the jeweler's glass and there's not a mark on it. Perfect frets, neck binding, joints, nut etc. She's a real baby at just a month old coming off the line in March.

Fukkin’ sweet!
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Learn the concept of keep your mouth shut or you will remained foed.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Jayzus. $2100 for a white flying thing?

I would have sold you mine for, like, I dunno...less. It doesn't have the bound neck, but you could get some mong to add that... :lol:

Now I gotta see what Gibby Vs go for.

cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Picked up a Firefly metallic green LP JR (with P90's) for my son for $75. Already been modded and it's a fun little guitar. Anyhow, opened me to up a world of people buying things for dirt cheap this w/ the intention of upgrading them, relic'ing them, etc.... Huey, their V's & Explorers have you written all of them.

https://guitarsgarden.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2234110510197231
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Sleek wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:26 pm Jayzus. $2100 for a white flying thing?

I would have sold you mine for, like, I dunno...less. It doesn't have the bound neck, but you could get some mong to add that... :lol:

Now I gotta see what Gibby Vs go for.
Yeah, my white gibson v was list for around $900 in '07. I got it of craigslist with the plastic thingy still on the pickguard for $700. Not sure how much better this one is but these prices are going cray.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

cowpins wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:01 am Picked up a Firefly metallic green LP JR (with P90's) for my son for $75. Already been modded and it's a fun little guitar. Anyhow, opened me to up a world of people buying things for dirt cheap this w/ the intention of upgrading them, relic'ing them, etc.... Huey, their V's & Explorers have you written all of them.

I need a 4th V or a 2nd Explorer like I need a hole in the head, but those look cool, and i'd buy one for fun, if that wasnt the case.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

cowpins wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:01 am Picked up a Firefly metallic green LP JR (with P90's) for my son for $75. Already been modded and it's a fun little guitar. Anyhow, opened me to up a world of people buying things for dirt cheap this w/ the intention of upgrading them, relic'ing them, etc.... Huey, their V's & Explorers have you written all of them.

Those are just AliExpress guitars sold on a different site. Nothing wrong with that, and occasionally they put out decent ones, it's just funny the different ways they market them.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Mojo wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:38 am

Those are just AliExpress guitars sold on a different site. Nothing wrong with that, and occasionally they put out decent ones, it's just funny the different ways they market them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjTi39aizw8

What's this Guitar Max guy's deal? I always see him reviewing cheap gear positively. I even bought a mini wah pedal cause he said it was good, and i didnt have a lot of room on my pedal board. It's alright for what it is, but it's some noname chinese stuff as well.

I assume he's a young guy with young followers without a lot of dough, so these companies pay him a bunch to positively review their gear? Does he have to denote it's a paid review?