El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by Mojo »

HueyRamone wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:48 am I assume he's a young guy with young followers without a lot of dough, so these companies pay him a bunch to positively review their gear? Does he have to denote it's a paid review?
Presumably. I've never heard of him, but he does have pretty hair.

I don't usually like sunburst guitars, or even V's for that matter, but damn, if this isn't gorgeous.
https://guitarsgarden.com/collections/f ... urst-color

And this Explorer is busfap-worthy, too.
https://guitarsgarden.com/collections/f ... urst-color
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

HueyRamone wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:30 am
cowpins wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:01 am Picked up a Firefly metallic green LP JR (with P90's) for my son for $75. Already been modded and it's a fun little guitar. Anyhow, opened me to up a world of people buying things for dirt cheap this w/ the intention of upgrading them, relic'ing them, etc.... Huey, their V's & Explorers have you written all of them.

https://guitarsgarden.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2234110510197231
I need a 4th V or a 2nd Explorer like I need a hole in the head, but those look cool, and i'd buy one for fun, if that wasnt the case.
Thinking that you need to get one just to see how far you can take it on the relic side. Like drag behind the car, set on fire, etc...and still function with extra baddasstery.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

HueyRamone wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:48 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjTi39aizw8

What's this Guitar Max guy's deal? I always see him reviewing cheap gear positively. I even bought a mini wah pedal cause he said it was good, and i didnt have a lot of room on my pedal board. It's alright for what it is, but it's some noname chinese stuff as well.

I assume he's a young guy with young followers without a lot of dough, so these companies pay him a bunch to positively review their gear? Does he have to denote it's a paid review?
https://guitaradvise.com/what-happened- ... y-guitars/ says that these are massed produced in China and sold to 3rd party vendors, so like Mojo said he just may be the guy behind the Guitar Garden site marketing & selling them. Also behind the FB group, etc...
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

HueyRamone wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:28 am
Sleek wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:26 pm Jayzus. $2100 for a white flying thing?

I would have sold you mine for, like, I dunno...less. It doesn't have the bound neck, but you could get some mong to add that... :lol:

Now I gotta see what Gibby Vs go for.
Yeah, my white gibson v was list for around $900 in '07. I got it of craigslist with the plastic thingy still on the pickguard for $700. Not sure how much better this one is but these prices are going cray.
Jeez. Cheapest proper (non-faded or fucked with) Gibby V on 'verb is $1450. Cheapest whitey one is $1750.

Got mine in 2014 for $600.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

cowpins wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:28 am
HueyRamone wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:30 am
cowpins wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:01 am Picked up a Firefly metallic green LP JR (with P90's) for my son for $75. Already been modded and it's a fun little guitar. Anyhow, opened me to up a world of people buying things for dirt cheap this w/ the intention of upgrading them, relic'ing them, etc.... Huey, their V's & Explorers have you written all of them.

https://guitarsgarden.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2234110510197231
I need a 4th V or a 2nd Explorer like I need a hole in the head, but those look cool, and i'd buy one for fun, if that wasnt the case.
Thinking that you need to get one just to see how far you can take it on the relic side. Like drag behind the car, set on fire, etc...and still function with extra baddasstery.
Oh. If we're counting white Vs that i've set on fire, then I have 3 white Vs, not 2.

The burnt one is hanging in the garage.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

HueyRamone wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:36 am
Oh. If we're counting white Vs that i've set on fire, then I have 3 white Vs, not 2.

Pics please.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

poisonheart wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:27 pm I think that if you know what you’re doing and deal with a reputable merchant a la Sweetwater, it’s hard to go wrong.
Sweetwater's customer service is pretty well known and hard to find fault with. Anybody have opinions about Reverb.com? I've never dealt with them.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

exitflagger wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:46 am
Sweetwater's customer service is pretty well known and hard to find fault with. Anybody have experiences with Reverb.com? I've never dealt with them.
I bought several items from Reverb, including a Breedlove acoustic and a Danelectro U2. I also sold a box of NOS tubes.
It's a very cool site with lots of new and used gear. Besides singular sellers, dealers sell there too.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

sirthx2 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:46 am

Pics please.

The one on the right has a cracked headstock at the moment, so if you've got a recco for someone who can fix it in the SF Valley, please let me know.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

HueyRamone wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:23 am
sirthx2 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:46 am

Pics please.
The one on the right has a cracked headstock at the moment, so if you've got a recco for someone who can fix it in the SF Valley, please let me know.
Wow, when you said 'set on fire', you weren't kidding. Not just a Hendrix style fire, that thing burned. Love the whites! Headstock repair, Seth at California Vintage on Van Nuys BLVD is a beast who's done work for everyone. I've seen some unreal mods done by him, so I assume a cracked headstock is a walk in the park.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

New guitar!

I probably would've gotten the black AIO but now I'm glad I didn't (they ran out of stock on them the day before I was going to pull the trigger). Got a great deal on this one, right place, right time and I am swooning over it right now. I thought it was going to be in shoddy condition (used 2012 model) but outside of one little tiny ding, it's in fantastic shape. Thank goodness for poor photography.

Second Burny for me. I cannot recommend them enough.
ImageImage
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Nice looking.

I'd never buy a Paul, but this looks nice. If it was White, i'd prolly have to see if I had the funds for impulse buy.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

HueyRamone wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:51 pm If it was White, i'd prolly have to see if I had the funds for impulse buy.
A white one I looked at was tempting. The newer ones have a sustainer switch in place of the neck pickup tone knob.
ImageImage
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

sirthx2 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:10 amSeth at California Vintage on Van Nuys BLVD is a beast who's done work for everyone. I've seen some unreal mods done by him, so I assume a cracked headstock is a walk in the park.
3 mi from my place! Thx for the ref.
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

This just came.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

...and so did you.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

A follow up on the new Burny, the stock bridge pickup has a strange sound to it, kinda sounds out of phase, way less focus than it should have. It's not installed backwards BTW which can cause something like that. I just think this may be kind of a shitty pickup. I was considering installing a spare Seymour JB that I have but that would involve matching up the gold cover and all. Maybe not worth the trouble.

My question: Has anybody had experiences with or know of a brand of good replacement pickups that give a vintage-y medium to low output signal? That's another problem, I'm pretty sure this is a high output pickup, which I've never liked. I don't like having built in gain and fuzz. I like to dirty it up if I want to, but stay kind of clean/meaty otherwise. Might have to look at GFS again, just not sure which model.

Any suggestions?
ImageImage
poisonheart
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by poisonheart »

exitflagger wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:34 am

My question: Has anybody had experiences with or know of a brand of good replacement pickups that give a vintage-y medium to low output signal? That's another problem, I'm pretty sure this is a high output pickup, which I've never liked. I don't like having built in gain and fuzz. I like to dirty it up if I want to, but stay kind of clean/meaty otherwise. Might have to look at GFS again, just not sure which model.

Any suggestions?
Check out Golden Age from Stew Mac.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

poisonheart wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:39 am

Any suggestions?
Magnets. How do they work? I looked at those and they use Alnico 5 which I've decided are not for me. Unless it's something different that caused me to hate the Dimarzios I got that had 5s in them. This stock pickup reminds me of those. I think I'm more of an Alnico 2 guy. Maybe something similar to Seymour Antiquity, only not that pricey.
ImageImage
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

I'm not really a humbucker guy...my solution to your dilemma was mini humbuckers, but obviously that wouldn't work here.

That said, I had the Duncan Slash pickups in one guitar for a while, and they were pretty great as far as straight vintage-style hums go. Those are Alnico 2's.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Sleek wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:11 am I'm not really a humbucker guy...my solution to your dilemma was mini humbuckers, but obviously that wouldn't work here.

That said, I had the Duncan Slash pickups in one guitar for a while, and they were pretty great as far as straight vintage-style hums go. Those are Alnico 2's.
I seem to remember seeing a guitar that Buck Dharma played that had mini hums mounted in full humbucker rings. I guess that was probably a customized thing.

My fucking tech guy is booked for two months so I have time to drive myself batty over this. The more I play it the more it's obvious it has never had a setup, no truss rod adjustment, no fret height tweaking, etc. It seems like it should be ready to run wide open right now but it's a frustrating play the way it is. Makes sense though, they're rarely battle ready right off the bat. At least not in my experience.
ImageImage
poisonheart
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by poisonheart »

exitflagger wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:00 am
poisonheart wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:39 am

Any suggestions?
Magnets. How do they work? I looked at those and they use Alnico 5 which I've decided are not for me. Unless it's something different that caused me to hate the Dimarzios I got that had 5s in them. This stock pickup reminds me of those. I think I'm more of an Alnico 2 guy. Maybe something similar to Seymour Antiquity, only not that pricey.
Parsons St model is available in Alnico II as well as V.
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

exitflagger wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:26 pm
Sleek wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:11 am I'm not really a humbucker guy...my solution to your dilemma was mini humbuckers, but obviously that wouldn't work here.

I seem to remember seeing a guitar that Buck Dharma played that had mini hums mounted in full humbucker rings. I guess that was probably a customized thing.

My fucking tech guy is booked for two months so I have time to drive myself batty over this. The more I play it the more it's obvious it has never had a setup, no truss rod adjustment, no fret height tweaking, etc. It seems like it should be ready to run wide open right now but it's a frustrating play the way it is. Makes sense though, they're rarely battle ready right off the bat. At least not in my experience.
I have a guitar being delivered tomorrow that has mini humbuckers. Before I post pics, some advice for Huey; Avert thine eyes.

sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Not 'technically' mini-humbuckers, but that's what Gibson refers to them as in their advertising. 2018 'new' firebird V. Glorious tones, especially with just a touch of verb and a smidge of dirt.

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

GORGEOUS.
Image Image
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Avert thine eyes?!? I LOVE firebirds!!!

I almost bought a white one, so georg, but it kinda felt a little delicate, so I went with an Explorer, now thats a manly chunk of wood.

You win the lottery or sumpin? The paints not even dry on your expensive-ass V and you're getting more shit!?
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Firebirds are fucking badass, but yeah, I'm not paying Gibson prices for their less-than-Epiphone quality output.
Image Image
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

HueyRamone wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:26 am Avert thine eyes?!? I LOVE firebirds!!!

I almost bought a white one, so georg, but it kinda felt a little delicate, so I went with an Explorer, now thats a manly chunk of wood.

You win the lottery or sumpin? The paints not even dry on your expensive-ass V and you're getting more shit!?
Wow, assumed you wouldn't be down with the roundiness. Please accept my apologies and I'm happy to hear. I myself wasn't too much of a Firebird fan and don't know exactly when that changed. Might have been dude from Rival Sons who looks cool as f**k with all his blingie Firebird 7s (3 pickup, massive tail piece) but then I saw the Dirty Knobs play and Mike Campbell played a Firebird the entire set. That sealed the deal and I've been casually looking ever since. Didn't win the lottery, and correct the V is still in diapers. With interest rates even on high-balance money market accounts etc being around 1%, I'd rather see 'money' on my wall then in account doing nothing. With good stuff, you should be able to get your money back at some point if needed.
Mojo wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:44 am Firebirds are fucking badass, but yeah, I'm not paying Gibson prices for their less-than-Epiphone quality output.
You know this is case-by-case, and all things being equal, I'll take a Gibson for a number of reasons. First and foremost I'm a snob, cool factor and resale.

exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Assuming these Gibsons are new, do they have fret-over-binding on the edges or are they still doing the nibs? The nibs were an immediate deal breaker for me for a long time.
ImageImage
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

sirthx2 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:49 am You know this is case-by-case, and all things being equal, I'll take a Gibson for a number of reasons. First and foremost I'm a snob, cool factor and resale.
To each their own. That's the great thing about guitars: they're so individual and everyone gets different things out of them. Some people need to know they're playing what the greats play. I'm not great. I'm not a gigging musician or aspiring to recreate a specific artist's rig, so I don't really get off on the brand name. The strings feel the same under my fingers whether I paid an extra thousand for a logo or not.
Image Image