El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by Mojo »

sirthx2 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:33 am Fantastic. Malcolm played a smol Gretsch so no arguments can be made.
Yessir. I had a Duo Jet years ago that I sold to fund some travel, and I really liked it. It was really versatile, tonewise, played really well, and looked killer. It was just your classic black Duo Jet. This one is slightly upgraded with more gain-friendly pickups. Should be fun.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Mojo wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:29 pm Impulse bought a $3000 guitar, today. Should be here this week sometime.
So you did or didn't buy the semi-hollow one with the "ghetto" wood?
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

exitflagger wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:27 am
Mojo wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:29 pm Impulse bought a $3000 guitar, today. Should be here this week sometime.
I did not. I've already got enough semi-hollows and couldn't justify it.
Image Image
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

Mojo wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:28 am
exitflagger wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:27 am
I did not. I've already got enough semi-hollows and couldn't justify it.
I can't justify most of my guitars, but I find a way to do just that. wife: "Don't you already have 3 or 4 Strats?" - "Well actually I have 8, but none with an ebony fretboard and mini-humbuckers. So I need it."
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

sirthx2 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:33 am

Fantastic. Malcolm played a smol Gretsch so no arguments can be made.
Yes, yes they can. The smol Gertsch worked for Mal because he was like 5'2" and it looked like a swole Gertsch on him.

A man's guitar, like his trousers, should be properly sized for his physique.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Sleek wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:23 am A man's guitar, like his trousers, should be properly sized for his physique.
This is Les Paul sized. So not tiny, but yeah, not me-sized, either.
Image Image
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Sleek wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:23 am
sirthx2 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:33 am

Fantastic. Malcolm played a smol Gretsch so no arguments can be made.
Yes, yes they can. The smol Gertsch worked for Mal because he was like 5'2" and it looked like a swole Gertsch on him.

OK, with ya there. I'll never forget the first time I picked up an SG immediately realizing how 'small' they are. I always assumed they were big because Angus was my reference and he made it look like a piano.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Oh gawd, an SG was the first time I noticed the proportional disparity.

I got one when I was 18 in a trade, and I was SO happy to have that AC/DC devil horn guitar :lol:

Then I noticed it looked...different on me. Took me forever to figure out why...but I am a full foot taller than Angus.

To this day, every guitar maker I meet, I try to convince them to make 10-20% upscaled strats, teles and SGs, and they all think I am nuts. :mrgreen:

Gibson made an upscaled Les Paul for a minute (gibson es-135 studio with no F-holes)...I was sorely tempted to get one, but it just wasn't ME.

sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Sleek wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:36 pm Oh gawd, an SG was the first time I noticed the proportional disparity.

I got one when I was 18 in a trade, and I was SO happy to have that AC/DC devil horn guitar :lol:

Then I noticed it looked...different on me. Took me forever to figure out why...but I am a full foot taller than Angus.

To this day, every guitar maker I meet, I try to convince them to make 10-20% upscaled strats, teles and SGs, and they all think I am nuts. :mrgreen:

Gibson made an upscaled Les Paul for a minute (gibson es-135 studio with no F-holes)...I was sorely tempted to get one, but it just wasn't ME.
I'm 6' 6" so i'm royally fooked. Greg Koch (the great Greg Koch) is same height as me and a bit heavier, and he has a sig "Tele" that's like 10% bigger. I like 'em and will perhaps get one at some point.

diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

Mojo wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:27 am
Sleek wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:23 am A man's guitar, like his trousers, should be properly sized for his physique.
This is Les Paul sized. So not tiny, but yeah, not me-sized, either.
you'd probably look hilarious with my jackson rhoads lol...i'm only 5' 11" and it feels like a toy, but it's easy on my old back lol...d.m.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

sirthx2 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:51 am
Grendel wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:32 am I don't typically like those, but that one is pretty.
With ya. I've become as much a collector as player and as a collector trying to check as many boxes as possible. The history of the Jazzmaster is pretty interesting so doing a deep-dive into that pushed me to pick one up.
Every time I go to the music store I check out the Strats, wondering if I'll ever like one enough to purchase. Still haven't found one unfortunately but most every Jazzmaster I've picked up felt really nice. Might have to add one to the arsenal one day.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

The saga of the Christmas amp:

The old lady asked me what I wanted for christmas and I said she could go in with me on an amplifier. So I did a lot of research and try-outs and decided that a Blackstar tube 1x12 combo was what I was looking for. It started out as dabbling with the idea of getting a solid state modeler just to dick around with but that just reaffirmed all the things I hate about solid state amps. The Blackstar stood out unless I was going to step up a LOT in price. We got it through Guitar Center online and I timed it early to make sure it would be a sure thing by Dec. 25th. Got it in and played it a few times and noticed it sounded great for about a half hour and then the sound and volume would start crapping out. I went through a few troubleshooting scenarios and it would help for a minute or two and then fuck up again.

Then the fun begins. I brought it to the brick and mortar GC and they said lets plug it up and see what's going on. I played it for a while and it sounded fine. We came to the conclusion that it was either a faulty wall outlet I was using or the power cord was not pushed in snugly. Okay. Brought it home, fixed those things, played it a while and it started doing the same thing again. Whatever, I'm getting a refund, fuck it.

Looked at the other amps on the GC site and decided I would get a comparable Marshall. More expensive but I'll pay for it. There were three of the one I was looking for at higher price and one in same condition for slightly lower price. The lower price one didn't have a picture attached. When we worked it out at the store they said I was probably going to have to wait another few days for them to take pics and get them to us. (it was coming from L.A.) I said nah let's just do it and get the ball rolling. Of course I'm going to opt for the cheaper one right, why wouldn't I?

Waited a week, amp comes in at the store. I go pick it up and it's in a weirdly oblong shaped box. I got it to the car and got suspicious so I opened it and looked; sure enough, it's a fucking HEAD not a combo. The head and the combo apparently have the SAME MODEL NUMBER and without a pic, neither I nor the GC guys knew it was a going to be a head. :x :x :x

I got the money back and then lo and behold, they had a newer Blackstar like I originally wanted in the store, same price, better condition. So I rolled the dice and bought that one. So far it is great. No issues, no fuckups, it even has a couple of features the other one didn't have. Sounds better than it has any business sounding for the price.

Takeaways:
1. Be very careful buying online, it can be a pain in the ass. To their credit, GC was pretty cooperative to finally get it all right. On the downside, they barely know what they're doing.
2. I don't feel great about the first amp because they told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it and put it back out on the floor to sell. That amp's fucked up, I don't care what they say. Not cool for them to try to pawn off a defective amp.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Sleek wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:36 pm Oh gawd, an SG was the first time I noticed the proportional disparity.

I'm 6'2.

when I was about eighteen was I was playing a big p-bass in a band, and picked up our guitarists strat and started noodling. Drummer walked in and just started laughing. He said "Dude, looks like you're holding a little toy.... you look hilarious."

So yeah, I play a Sheraton now.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Sleek wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:23 am
Then Wolfie should be playing one of these:

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Traded an Ibanez I had for a bright red MIM Strat, Fender locking tuners and an HSS Shawbucker setup.
Heavy guitar.
Haven’t gotten into it yet.
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:09 pm Traded an Ibanez I had for a bright red MIM Strat, Fender locking tuners and an HSS Shawbucker setup.
Heavy guitar.
Did I trade you my red MM strat with locking tuners and shawbucker HSS setup and not know about it?

sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:09 pm Traded an Ibanez I had for a bright red MIM Strat, Fender locking tuners and an HSS Shawbucker setup.
Heavy guitar.
Did I include the case in the trade? 'chrome red' 2006 MiM body, American Professional neck, decked trem, Shawbucker..

VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

sirthx2 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:33 am
Heavy guitar.
Did I include the case in the trade? 'chrome red' 2006 MiM body, American Professional neck, decked trem, Shawbucker..

Looks a lot like it
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:46 am
sirthx2 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:33 am
Heavy guitar.
Looks a lot like it
I've always loved it and it feels perfect. Glorious neck etc but it's one of those I've never really bonded with. I love it like the child you have but he/she's just not your favorite.

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

My eyes! My eyes!!

It's like you want to hurt me, sirthx.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

HueyRamone wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:25 am My eyes! My eyes!!

Has he met you??
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

HueyRamone wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:25 am My eyes! My eyes!!

Oh contraire mon frere. Apologies for not issuing the warning before posting. That's on me.

Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

I just bought a Gretsch g5129, early 2000"s, red top, black sides, De'Armond pickups. Sounds amazing. At one time I had a 2008 g5120, but it sounded muddy and cheap.
Having a 2nd Gretsch has reminded me how much I hate their strap screw system.
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

ijust picked up this...it actually sounds pretty decent...d.m.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

diablomozart wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:18 pm ijust picked up this...it actually sounds pretty decent...d.m.
Looks like the guitar glenn Tipton uses when he’s not using the bow tie one
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

it's easier than miccing up my acoustic 12 string to see if a part works...d.m.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

WHOA!
I ordered a guitar on eBay from a seller in Japan, Thursday night at around 11:00 pm.
It was supposedly "Economy Shipping" from Japan to New Mexico.
I just checked the tracking, and it arrived here in town today at 5:30 pm.
That's frggin AMAZING speed for "Economy."
It flew FedEx, Japan to Anchorage, to Memphis, to Albuquerque in less than three days.

It will now be given to a FedEX Ground crew. I hope it's delivered tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes the local ground people as long or longer to get it to me as the trip from Japan took.

It's not anything fancy, just a dirt cheap ($240 w/free shipping) Vox Phantom 3/4 scale mini. It uses heavy gauge strings and regular tuning.

Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Are those proportions wrong, or are you getting a mandolin?

Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Sleek wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:54 am Are those proportions wrong, or are you getting a mandolin?
It's not a mando. It's a 3/4 scale guitar....and it's already on the truck, scheduled for delivery today. I can't believe it...only three and a half days from Japan to my house.

https://voxamps.com/product/vox-mark-v-mini-guitar/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCLYxZ93HsA