Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

thebends
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van
Posts: 1080
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:11 am

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by thebends » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Huge crowes fan. Probably seen them over 50 times (most of those showed were magical).i hate what Chris has turned into. But I'm sure will see a full reunited band soon!
NearlyNormal
Headlining Clubs
Posts: 2116
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by NearlyNormal » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:09 pm

thebends wrote:Huge crowes fan. Probably seen them over 50 times (most of those showed were magical).i hate what Chris has turned into. But I'm sure will see a full reunited band soon!
With Oven Mitts on keyboards? That's a hard pass.
MattA75
Recording Your Demo
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:37 am
Location: Maine

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by MattA75 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 pm

crowes74 wrote:I don’t think it’s a big spoiler alert on Chris not exactly being the “ hippie outta the past” he views himself as.
The shit he tried to pull with the crowes was especially shitty ( x 1000 in regards to his rich and Steve proposals). Straight outta The Yuppies 101 handbook. He’s also no dummy. Heard his interview with Howard Stern from last year and he was speaking English and not Hippie. End of the day he’s a business man that plays live music. It honestly seemed that the wife kinda has a yoko effect with his dealings with the Crowes, not that Rich and Chris ever needed any help to fuel the fires.
Guess he doesn’t dig The MAgpie Salute’s popularity with the old crowes fans. ... this situation would be much easier to swallow had he not poked fun at Rich being in a Crowes cover band imo.

As a fan I hate to give him the $$$, but at the end of the day it still ALOT of great music to be played that evening, music that he has every right to be playing too. It sounded like a greatest hits setlist from what I heard on his “cover band” run. For $30 I’ll go see a good cover band I guess, even if I’d sooner watch the other cover band if i had to pick.
between CR being a cunt and the utter hack he employs on keys to ruin classic stuff like Wiser Time, you couldn't pay me $300 to go to one of these shows
User avatar
Gwrexx
Headlining Clubs
Posts: 3325
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:28 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by Gwrexx » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:49 am

jboogie wrote:
Gwrexx wrote:
jboogie wrote: Rich Robinson
"It’s a complicated situation. If Chris had just kept his mouth shut all year and just decided to play songs that he and I wrote … I mean that’s his prerogative and that’s cool and he’ll bring himself to those songs. The fact that he ran his mouth all year about how stupid [The Magpie Salute] is and how we’re just a cover band … and then to turn 180 degrees and just be a cover band with a B squad, it’s very hypocritical. But, he has every right to do that and if for whatever reason that he’s doing that, he has every right and I wish him well. At the end of the day, although there’s a glaring hypocrisy to the whole thing, he can do that and I wish him well. I’ve got Marc Ford."

Did Rich really say that?
Watch the interview with the portion in question at the 47-minute mark:


https://youtu.be/mlQPLlnuX4A

https://www.jambase.com/article/chris-r ... lies-wanee
HA! That's awesome.... love that "B" team line...
Ain't flinging tears out on the dusty ground for all my friends out on the burial ground. Can't stand the feeling getting so brought down. It's just that demon life has got me in its sway
User avatar
Funnelhead
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:25 am

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by Funnelhead » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:05 am

We caught a bunch of Magpie shows last year and the amount of tunes they spread out over that tour was amazing.
Their record is the one I am waiting for the most.
User avatar
milk-milk-lemonade
Headlining a Theater Tour
Posts: 6353
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by milk-milk-lemonade » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:03 am

Where has Steve Gorman landed? Or, has he?

Chris said he won't play without his new drummer. WTF?
ImageImage
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:USA USA USA !!!
Mr.Happyface wrote:What the fuck are you talking about? Idiot.
User avatar
TheDeadBastard
Headlining Clubs
Posts: 2954
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:16 pm
Location: 3rd level of hell

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by TheDeadBastard » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:14 am

milk-milk-lemonade wrote:Where has Steve Gorman landed? Or, has he?

Chris said he won't play without his new drummer. WTF?
Fox Radio

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/featu ... an-sports/
ImageImage
User avatar
Sniffy McBallbag
Passing Out Band Flyers
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:13 pm

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by Sniffy McBallbag » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:42 am

milk-milk-lemonade wrote:Where has Steve Gorman landed? Or, has he?

Chris said he won't play without his new drummer. WTF?
I thought I remember hearing he is gonna do another album with Trigger Hippy (Joan Osborne)..
User avatar
Bair Hand
OMG STONER! LOOK AT ME!
Posts: 10673
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by Bair Hand » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:49 am

thebends wrote:I'm sure will see a full reunited band soon!
no way, i think rich is done with chris for quite a while.
Sniffy McBallbag wrote:I thought I remember hearing he is gonna do another album with Trigger Hippy (Joan Osborne)..
i hope this is true, that was a great album. gorman is an incredible drummer, always playing for the song, right in the pocket.
ParaDime77
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Posts: 13292
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:39 am
Location: North Dakota

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by ParaDime77 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:18 am

Why do the brothers hate each other? Was there ever a reason given?
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Van Ailin'
Buying Cool Stage Clothes
Posts: 672
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by Van Ailin' » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Sniffy McBallbag wrote:
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:Where has Steve Gorman landed? Or, has he?

Chris said he won't play without his new drummer. WTF?
I thought I remember hearing he is gonna do another album with Trigger Hippy (Joan Osborne)..
I'd love to see another, but the best songs all had huge contributions from Jackie Greene. They'd have to figure out who's doing the writing.
User avatar
Gwrexx
Headlining Clubs
Posts: 3325
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:28 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by Gwrexx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:13 am

Funnelhead wrote:We caught a bunch of Magpie shows last year and the amount of tunes they spread out over that tour was amazing.
Their record is the one I am waiting for the most.
Their live album is on Spotify and I was listening to it last night, good lord they are good. Their cover of War's "War Drums" is on FIRE...
Ain't flinging tears out on the dusty ground for all my friends out on the burial ground. Can't stand the feeling getting so brought down. It's just that demon life has got me in its sway
NearlyNormal
Headlining Clubs
Posts: 2116
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by NearlyNormal » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:23 am

Gwrexx wrote: Their live album is on Spotify and I was listening to it last night, good lord they are good. Their cover of War's "War Drums" is on FIRE...
You should download one of the soundboard shows from last year. The playing and song selections were even better.

Gorman was asked to participate in the original shows at Woodstock in 2015 but said he was busy. Later that year Rich was a no-show at some Zeppelin tribute show Gorman put together for New Years eve so apparently those two are on the outs now. Months ago he said he has news on Trigger Hippy's album and lineup but nothing had come of it. I think he just wants to stay home and raise his kids. That radio money must be much better and easier than dealing with Family Robinson.

I need to look up Allen Forbes' Instagram again. He's the guy that had been doing all the artwork for Chris (album covers, shirts, posters) and went back all the way to 1990 with the Crowes. Chris somehow screwed him over so Allen (plus Steve Gorman's wife and others) went on tirades about what a prick Chris is. It was pretty entertaining to read.
User avatar
Funnelhead
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:25 am

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by Funnelhead » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:10 am

Gwrexx wrote:
Funnelhead wrote:We caught a bunch of Magpie shows last year and the amount of tunes they spread out over that tour was amazing.
Their record is the one I am waiting for the most.
Their live album is on Spotify and I was listening to it last night, good lord they are good. Their cover of War's "War Drums" is on FIRE...
It was cool at the last NYC & Atlantic City shows that they gave those live discs out as you were coming in. Haven't had that happen in forever.
I saw the first run of shows in NYC, the NH & Maine shows mid tour, and then we did that last week of shows in NYC (including that chat/jam posted earlier) and then the last show in Atlantic City.
John was under fire at those first shows as they brought out so many songs, it was a lot to learn but by mid tour and beyond he really found his spot in it all.
I tell ya, standing on the rail directly in front of Nico & Marc and listening how they blend into that big band (especially Nico on 3rd guitar) was something to witness. Good Shit, Maynard!
shedkid
Lugging equipment around in parent's car
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by shedkid » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:31 am

I'm a huge Black Crowes fan (seen over 50 shows) and love both CRB and Magpie Salute. I know CRB is a different style than BC but I dig it. Chris is obviously inspired and enjoys this project - he's put out a ton of new music over the last few years (6 albums/EPs since 2012) and has been touring nonstop. I don't know the reasoning behind this short tour. Chris claims he is ready to sing the songs again after a 5 year break but it does seem a little suspect that this is coming after a year of Rich doing a big tour playing Black Crowes with Magpie Salute.

There is obviously demand since the Chicago show sold out instantly. Ticket prices were way higher than CRB so this might be a way of cashing in without having to reunite with his brother.
User avatar
gtrjay
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Posts: 12635
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:51 am
Location: Detroit Rock City

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by gtrjay » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:43 pm

Gazpacho wrote:Never been a fan.

I did like that one song they wrote “Hard To Handle”

:lol:
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

George Carlin - Modern Philosopher

Image]
User avatar
Funnelhead
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:25 am

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by Funnelhead » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:50 pm

shedkid wrote:I'm a huge Black Crowes fan (seen over 50 shows) and love both CRB and Magpie Salute. I know CRB is a different style than BC but I dig it. Chris is obviously inspired and enjoys this project - he's put out a ton of new music over the last few years (6 albums/EPs since 2012) and has been touring nonstop. I don't know the reasoning behind this short tour. Chris claims he is ready to sing the songs again after a 5 year break but it does seem a little suspect that this is coming after a year of Rich doing a big tour playing Black Crowes with Magpie Salute.

There is obviously demand since the Chicago show sold out instantly. Ticket prices were way higher than CRB so this might be a way of cashing in without having to reunite with his brother.
He's a turd and I find his Grateful Dead wannabe band to be boring as fuck. The only show I have walked out off in the last 10 years.
He saw the Rich was able to draw, he can't, so do a few Crowes shows to feed the bank account. His hippie-love-its all for the music bullshit is laughable. He proved that when he tried to "Axl" his brother and Steve. It really had to chap his ass when TMS sold out 4 nights at the Gramercy nearly out of the blue.

Suspect? Yeah, just a bit.
NearlyNormal
Headlining Clubs
Posts: 2116
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by NearlyNormal » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:59 pm

Funnelhead wrote:
It was cool at the last NYC & Atlantic City shows that they gave those live discs out as you were coming in. Haven't had that happen in forever.
I saw the first run of shows in NYC, the NH & Maine shows mid tour, and then we did that last week of shows in NYC (including that chat/jam posted earlier) and then the last show in Atlantic City

Would anyone like me to upload the live compilation album they gave out at the end of the tour?
User avatar
StreetwalkinCheetah
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van
Posts: 991
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:05 pm
Location: In a haze

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by StreetwalkinCheetah » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:35 pm

Funnelhead wrote:
shedkid wrote:I'm a huge Black Crowes fan (seen over 50 shows) and love both CRB and Magpie Salute. I know CRB is a different style than BC but I dig it. Chris is obviously inspired and enjoys this project - he's put out a ton of new music over the last few years (6 albums/EPs since 2012) and has been touring nonstop. I don't know the reasoning behind this short tour. Chris claims he is ready to sing the songs again after a 5 year break but it does seem a little suspect that this is coming after a year of Rich doing a big tour playing Black Crowes with Magpie Salute.

There is obviously demand since the Chicago show sold out instantly. Ticket prices were way higher than CRB so this might be a way of cashing in without having to reunite with his brother.
He's a turd and I find his Grateful Dead wannabe band to be boring as fuck. The only show I have walked out off in the last 10 years.
He saw the Rich was able to draw, he can't, so do a few Crowes shows to feed the bank account. His hippie-love-its all for the music bullshit is laughable. He proved that when he tried to "Axl" his brother and Steve. It really had to chap his ass when TMS sold out 4 nights at the Gramercy nearly out of the blue.

Suspect? Yeah, just a bit.
This.
Image

2010 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees (it's about time).
MattA75
Recording Your Demo
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:37 am
Location: Maine

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by MattA75 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Funnelhead wrote:
shedkid wrote:I'm a huge Black Crowes fan (seen over 50 shows) and love both CRB and Magpie Salute. I know CRB is a different style than BC but I dig it. Chris is obviously inspired and enjoys this project - he's put out a ton of new music over the last few years (6 albums/EPs since 2012) and has been touring nonstop. I don't know the reasoning behind this short tour. Chris claims he is ready to sing the songs again after a 5 year break but it does seem a little suspect that this is coming after a year of Rich doing a big tour playing Black Crowes with Magpie Salute.

There is obviously demand since the Chicago show sold out instantly. Ticket prices were way higher than CRB so this might be a way of cashing in without having to reunite with his brother.
He's a turd and I find his Grateful Dead wannabe band to be boring as fuck. The only show I have walked out off in the last 10 years.
He saw the Rich was able to draw, he can't, so do a few Crowes shows to feed the bank account. His hippie-love-its all for the music bullshit is laughable. He proved that when he tried to "Axl" his brother and Steve. It really had to chap his ass when TMS sold out 4 nights at the Gramercy nearly out of the blue.

Suspect? Yeah, just a bit.
Well, as much as it pains me to defend Chris

Rich as a solo act was playing much smaller places than CRB was...I mean, you could make hte argument that Rich needed to dip into the Black Crowes thing a lot more than Chris did...and even Magpie struggled mightily to sell tickets in a lot of markets because there was zero name recognition to the public (not Magpie's fault but still)...CRB seems to do ok as a draw...probably not great money for Chris but enough to pay the bills

With that being said, fuck CR and CRB and this crappy Black Crowes cover band of his
User avatar
RoyalSlack
MSX Tour Support Act
Posts: 4767
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:38 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by RoyalSlack » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:48 pm

milk-milk-lemonade wrote:
Chris said he won't play without his new drummer. WTF?

Gorman is a “band member” in any prospective Black Crowes activities, which requires that he’s paid as such.

CR’s new drummer is paid a flat rate, per-gig.
"Champagne for my real friends and real pain for my sham friends." -Tom Waits
thebends
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van
Posts: 1080
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:11 am

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by thebends » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:30 am

upload it if you can.

thanks
NearlyNormal
Headlining Clubs
Posts: 2116
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by NearlyNormal » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:23 am

thebends wrote:upload it if you can.

thanks
https://we.tl/6BenHFNKFr
User avatar
jboogie
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus
Posts: 1900
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:39 pm

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by jboogie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:47 am

ParaDime77 wrote:Why do the brothers hate each other? Was there ever a reason given?

Guitarist Rich Robinson pointed the finger at his brother, singer Chris Robinson, as he announced the dissolution of the group that has sold more than 35 million albums through bluesy rock songs such as Jealous Again.

"It is with great disappointment and regret that after having the privilege of writing and performing the music of The Black Crowes over the last 24 years, I find myself in the position of saying that the band has broken up," Rich Robinson said in a statement.

"I love my brother and respect his talent but his present demand that I must give up my equal share of the band and that our drummer for 28 years and original partner, Steve Gorman, relinquish 100 per cent of his share, reducing him to a salaried employee, is not something I could agree to."

Gorman gave a similar account. He said The Black Crowes had been planning a 25th anniversary tour this year but charged that the singer had set unreasonable demands for his share of profits.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-16/t ... ry/6022122
MattA75
Recording Your Demo
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:37 am
Location: Maine

Re: Chris Robinson on Why He's Ready to Sing Black Crowes Songs Again

Post by MattA75 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:04 pm

jboogie wrote:
ParaDime77 wrote:Why do the brothers hate each other? Was there ever a reason given?

Guitarist Rich Robinson pointed the finger at his brother, singer Chris Robinson, as he announced the dissolution of the group that has sold more than 35 million albums through bluesy rock songs such as Jealous Again.

"It is with great disappointment and regret that after having the privilege of writing and performing the music of The Black Crowes over the last 24 years, I find myself in the position of saying that the band has broken up," Rich Robinson said in a statement.

"I love my brother and respect his talent but his present demand that I must give up my equal share of the band and that our drummer for 28 years and original partner, Steve Gorman, relinquish 100 per cent of his share, reducing him to a salaried employee, is not something I could agree to."

Gorman gave a similar account. He said The Black Crowes had been planning a 25th anniversary tour this year but charged that the singer had set unreasonable demands for his share of profits.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-16/t ... ry/6022122
This was the final straw, but their personalities are so different, plus the normal sibling squabbling bullshit, and the way their musical desires and tastes have seemed to rarely intersect since even the first reunion in 2005 all play into it as well
Post Reply