Rainbow anniversary show 2018

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Hair I Go Again
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Rainbow anniversary show 2018

Post by Hair I Go Again » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:47 am

Mark your calendar, LAglamrocker!

4/22/18

Lynch Mob (assuming they find a singer)
Faster Pussycat
Rough Cutt
Rhino Bucket
Holy Grail

I know most people under 40 have never heard of Holy Grail, which is a shame, since they sound like all your favorite '80s metal bands (that is, Maiden, Priest, Dio, Armored Saint). Just killer anthemic metal with a singer who can really sing and guitar players who can really play guitar. Each of their three records are a blast, but if you only have time to check out one, go with "Ride The Void" -- and if you don't even have time for that, just watch these:

My Last Attack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEMLthMBDF4
Ride The Void: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzXtHJcC5I0
Sudden Death: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Y2VY7bWGM
LAglamrocker
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: Rainbow anniversary show 2018

Post by LAglamrocker » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:03 am

Better event than Priest at Microsoft Theatre same night

Holy Grail got the prime spot..maybe 100 people,
Pussycat has best spot..place full. Lynch Mob during set people get tired and wonder away from stage

Rainbow shows I look forward to most all year.. it's a special time for sure

Few weeks after Wrestlemania hope Demon King is Universal Champ
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
DemonFilth2001
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by DemonFilth2001 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:12 am

Rough Cutt is best of the bunch.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Anthrax442
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Anthrax442 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Holy Grail is opening for THOSE guys? That's bullshit. I saw them open on the Anthrax\Exodus\High On Fire\Municipal Waste\Holy Grail tour...4 years ago? And now they're opening for a bunch of 80s wash-ups? Eeesh.

They're a great band, maybe come use some more hooks, but that's a damn shame.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Lobo
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Lobo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:08 pm

I'm disappointed. I thought this thread was going to be about the band Rainbow and not the Rainbow Bar and Grill.
Fat_Elvis

Post by Fat_Elvis » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:20 pm

Snooooooze.
VinceLeeRose
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by VinceLeeRose » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:46 pm

the longer i live in LA, the more i can't stand this place. they had a roach problem a few years ago...not to mention HORRIBLE service, and its like a poor mans Hard Rock, despite the legacy. i mean, an autographed guitar from scab Hurricane??? please.
Fat_Elvis

Post by Fat_Elvis » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:48 pm

VinceLeeRose wrote:the longer i live in LA, the more i can't stand this place. they had a roach problem a few years ago...not to mention HORRIBLE service, and its like a poor mans Hard Rock, despite the legacy. i mean, an autographed guitar from scab Hurricane??? please.
Yeah, but at least the pizza costs more for smaller sizes now.
Gazpacho
THREAD AIDS

Post by Gazpacho » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Lobo wrote:I'm disappointed. I thought this thread was going to be about the band Rainbow and not the Rainbow Bar and Grill.

Me too
EzyRider
Headlining Clubs

Post by EzyRider » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Anthrax442 wrote:Holy Grail is opening for THOSE guys? That's bullshit. I saw them open on the Anthrax\Exodus\High On Fire\Municipal Waste\Holy Grail tour...4 years ago? And now they're opening for a bunch of 80s wash-ups? Eeesh.

that was a great fucking tour and my introduction to Municipal Waste, who are really fun to see. High On Fire are awesome too. I think the version I saw was minus Exodus though
Polish them rockets now, and swallow those pills,
and sing ... Space Lord MotherFucker ...
EzyRider
Headlining Clubs

Post by EzyRider » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:13 pm

VinceLeeRose wrote:the longer i live in LA, the more i can't stand this place. they had a roach problem a few years ago...not to mention HORRIBLE service, and its like a poor mans Hard Rock, despite the legacy. i mean, an autographed guitar from scab Hurricane??? please.
I prefer Barnie's for food and drink personally
Polish them rockets now, and swallow those pills,
and sing ... Space Lord MotherFucker ...
Earl Skakel
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Earl Skakel » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:35 pm

I used to go there every Sunday night for dinner with the ex and it was awesome. Food was good and the service was great because the waitresses would remember you. I would say around 2011-12 they fired all of the regular or at least most of the waitresses and the service fell quicker than Ratt's sales in 93. I knew they were desperate because one of the new waitresses was some girl from the show Big Brother and she asked my ex if she wanted her vodka on the rocks with ice! WTF? :shock: :shock:

Earl

ps-I prefer Swingers because the staff has been their awhile and like the good old days at The Rainbow they remember you and the service is very good.
The Inappropriate Earl Podcast is on Itunes or Soundcloud
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ina ... 96362?mt=2
https://soundcloud.com/inappropriate-earl
http://www.twitter.com/earlskakel
New comedy album out on Itunes under Earl Skakel
Anthrax442

Post by Anthrax442 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:18 am

EzyRider wrote:
Anthrax442 wrote:Holy Grail is opening for THOSE guys? That's bullshit. I saw them open on the Anthrax\Exodus\High On Fire\Municipal Waste\Holy Grail tour...4 years ago? And now they're opening for a bunch of 80s wash-ups? Eeesh.

that was a great fucking tour and my introduction to Municipal Waste, who are really fun to see. High On Fire are awesome too. I think the version I saw was minus Exodus though
Municipal Waste was fucking great, they almost stole the whole damn show. Honestly, the only band that wasn't that great was High On Fire, but I think that's because it was a bad bill for them. Same issue I had with seeing Clutch open for Motorhead or Children of Bodom opening for Megadeth and Suicidal Tendencies. Had HoF been on a bill with more Stoner\Doom metal bands, they would have been fine, but at the Chicago date, they were the total beer/piss break band with people in the crowd booing and flipping them off. To be fair, anyone trying to follow Municipal Waste that night was going to have a hard time, but at least Holy Grail felt like they belonged on the bill.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
VinceLeeRose
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by VinceLeeRose » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:29 am

EzyRider wrote:
I prefer Barnie's for food and drink personally

Totally - even Rock N Reilly's has a decent bar food menu and way hotter bartenders
LAglamrocker
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by LAglamrocker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:53 am

Rainbow shows always have metal or punkish bands play..makes good mix with Metal Edge legends

Sure some might have better food but they don't have GNR table and jukebox plays Heavy Bones
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
AtomicCharvelDude
Headlining Clubs

Post by AtomicCharvelDude » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:55 am

Maybe because I've been out here for so long, I can't believe people even still go to the Bow. It's nowhere near what it used to be, even as far back as 10 years ago.
Over recent years, I definitely prefer places like The Nice Guy, SkyBar, The Den, Bootsy Bellows & Chateau Marmont. The amount of exquisite muff at all of these places is just off of the charts & they are all really fun hangouts.
I couldn't even begin to bare seeing another 185lb woman in her mid 50s dressed up like she was going to see the Theater of Pain tour. No thanks.
Fat_Elvis

Post by Fat_Elvis » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:24 pm

AtomicCharvelDude wrote:Maybe because I've been out here for so long, I can't believe people even still go to the Bow. It's nowhere near what it used to be, even as far back as 10 years ago.
Over recent years, I definitely prefer places like The Nice Guy, SkyBar, The Den, Bootsy Bellows & Chateau Marmont. The amount of exquisite muff at all of these places is just off of the charts & they are all really fun hangouts.
While I agree, sadly, that The Rainbow has noticeably gone downhill I can't say I'd rather go to any of the places you listed (in fairness I've only been to 2 of them). SkyBar and Marmont are so pretentious and the crowds are stuffy and dressed up and it makes my skin crawl. The food and service at Rainbow may have declined, but when I see that 185lb woman in her mid 50s dressed up like she was going to see the Theater of Pain tour, I know I'm home! :lol:
VinceLeeRose
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by VinceLeeRose » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:29 pm

AtomicCharvelDude wrote:Maybe because I've been out here for so long, I can't believe people even still go to the Bow. It's nowhere near what it used to be, even as far back as 10 years ago.
I couldn't even begin to bare seeing another 185lb woman in her mid 50s dressed up like she was going to see the Theater of Pain tour. No thanks.

Yeah, I've only lived out here for 8 years and noticed a significant downfall in the Bow, esp around the time like Earl mentioned (2011-2012). I remember going there in 2015 right before the Hollywood Vampires show next door at the Roxy. I was grabbing dinner with my friend and we had a booth in the main dining area. There must have been about 3-4 other tables occupied, but the place was pretty empty. We ordered a beer and after literally 10-15 min, I went and grabbed a round at the bar and brought them back since the waitress never brought us our initial round. Then a bus boy brought out silverware, but we still didn't see our waitress. I approached the other waitress working and said we've been sitting a long time, and we're ready to order and she said "who's your waitress" and I said "I don't know, I haven't seen her in a long time", and she got really shitty with me "well how the hell did you get silverware then?!". I get a shitty attitude and slow service if it's crazy busy and you're dealing with a lot of difficult people...but this place was literally empty. Went back 2 times after that and had a similar miserable experience, and all the while, yes, watching 185 yr old women in their mid 50's dressed up like they're going to the Theater of Pain tour. Last time I was in there I kept playing Shania Twain and the Monster Mash on the jukebox...never seen people get so upset in my life.