George Lynch on Let there be talk Dean Delray - some good sludge!

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

gtrjay
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

George Lynch on Let there be talk Dean Delray - some good sludge!

Post by gtrjay » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:12 pm

about 15 min left on a nearly 2 hour interview. Its a good listen so far.

the one thing they talked about that got my sludge ears on was pay to play and the new model of bands buying onto tours now.

He wouldn't name the band or guy but Dean said he knew who he was referring to. Some band that is on all tours, and one of the guys family owns crazy money in oil industry. They fly private jets, musicians on retainer, tours busses all decked out, 5 star hotels, etc.

anyone know what band this is?
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

George Carlin - Modern Philosopher

Image]
HueyRamone
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: George Lynch on Let there be talk Dean Delray - some good sludge!

Post by HueyRamone » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:16 pm

gtrjay wrote:about 15 min left on a nearly 2 hour interview. Its a good listen so far.

the one thing they talked about that got my sludge ears on was pay to play and the new model of bands buying onto tours now.

He wouldn't name the band or guy but Dean said he knew who he was referring to. Some band that is on all tours, and one of the guys family owns crazy money in oil industry. They fly private jets, musicians on retainer, tours busses all decked out, 5 star hotels, etc.

anyone know what band this is?

Dead Daisies guy's family is worth billions, but his money comes from Westfield Malls, not oil.

But it's why the rest of the band is a rotating roster of former rockstars and why they are on tours, etc.

Edit: Quick look in wikipedia says the Dead Daisies guy also pilots Gulfstream Jets as a hobby.
BangThyDrum
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by BangThyDrum » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 pm

He’s definitely referring to the Dead Daisies here.
gtrjay

Post by gtrjay » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:37 am

I thought he was referring to the one of the guys in band not an investor.
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

Image]
Van Ailin'
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by Van Ailin' » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:29 pm

Maybe New York Knicks' owner James Dolan and his band?
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:34 pm

gtrjay wrote:I thought he was referring to the one of the guys in band not an investor.
'
The Dead Daisies guy is in the band. He's the guitarist. His Dad's worth 4.2 billion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lowy
greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Post by greengoblinrulz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:35 pm

Raskins perhaps?
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:27 am

greengoblinrulz wrote:Raskins perhaps?
Yeah, aren't they a Stonebreed-caliber band that bought onto Motley Crue dates? That takes some disposable income...
DevastatinDave

Post by DevastatinDave » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:45 am

Otherwise an interesting interview, George is pretty intelligent and self-aware. Except Delray makes his interviews about himself.
eddie lee roth

Post by eddie lee roth » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:28 pm

HueyRamone wrote:
gtrjay wrote:I thought he was referring to the one of the guys in band not an investor.
'
The Dead Daisies guy is in the band. He's the guitarist. His Dad's worth 4.2 billion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lowy
I’m still not a 100% sure he was talking about him. Horse meat is a big seller overseas.
Wild Obsession
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by Wild Obsession » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:34 pm

Did he get in why Oni quit again.
metalslayer

Post by metalslayer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:18 am

DevastatinDave wrote:Otherwise an interesting interview, George is pretty intelligent and self-aware. Except Delray makes his interviews about himself.
I have yet to listen to this podcast, but you are correct Dean does talk about himself a little too much. His delivery is kind of annoying too.... He seems to try to sound like everyone's way too stoned best friend..."Wooooowwww, are you kidding me, ha ha ha! I used to play their toooooo mannnn, ha ha ha!!!!!"

That being said, he is a very knowledgable guy and I look forward to this episode. Dean definitely brings his "A game" with the 80-90s rocker and metal guys.
Lobo
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Lobo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:40 am

Talking about annoying radio personalities, I got Sirius satellite radio on a free 1 year trial and Jose Mangin who does a lot of the metal stuff on there is by far the most annoying radio personality I've ever heard on air, 100X more than Trunk. listening to Jose is like subjecting yourself to an all audio festival of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure or Wayne's World dialogue.

Every sentence is "LIKE DUDE, THAT'S SO GNARLY YOU KNOW DUDE? LIKE I WAS SAYING DUDE, TOTALLY METAL DUDE, KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING DUDE? I MEAN YEAH DUDE, LIKE IT'S METAL HORNS IN THE AIR AWESOMENESS, KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING DUDE?" YEAH DUDE LIKE IT'S TOTALLY RAD DUDE, LIKE TOTALLY METAL DUDE"

It's completely unlistenable.
rockman33
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by rockman33 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:59 am

He's definitely talking about the rhythm guitarist in Dead Daisies.
metalslayer

Post by metalslayer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:17 am

Lobo wrote:Talking about annoying radio personalities, I got Sirius satellite radio on a free 1 year trial and Jose Mangin who does a lot of the metal stuff on there is by far the most annoying radio personality I've ever heard on air, 100X more than Trunk. listening to Jose is like subjecting yourself to an all audio festival of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure or Wayne's World dialogue.

Every sentence is "LIKE DUDE, THAT'S SO GNARLY YOU KNOW DUDE? LIKE I WAS SAYING DUDE, TOTALLY METAL DUDE, KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING DUDE? I MEAN YEAH DUDE, LIKE IT'S METAL HORNS IN THE AIR AWESOMENESS, KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING DUDE?" YEAH DUDE LIKE IT'S TOTALLY RAD DUDE, LIKE TOTALLY METAL DUDE"

Ha ha, not to jack this thread, but that guy is annoying as all hell. He sounds like a male cheerleader trying to be metal. I am not saying you have to be a burly badass to enjoy and discuss metal, but that guy relates to no demographic of metal I have hung out with.... Maybe it is for teenage goth girls?
rockman33
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by rockman33 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:26 am

Dean was a musician in Los Angeles in the late 80s, early 90s. He's legit, been there, etc. He's pretty cool, and does have a lot of knowledge of that era, etc.

His Kotzen podcast is CLASSIC. Great stuff!
Kerry67
Opening for Slaughter

Post by Kerry67 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:36 am

rockman33 wrote:Dean was a musician in Los Angeles in the late 80s, early 90s. He's legit, been there, etc. He's pretty cool, and does have a lot of knowledge of that era, etc.

His Kotzen podcast is CLASSIC. Great stuff!
I like Dean's interviews with the 80's guys. What band(s) was he in......Any Youtube of him?
VicStelly
Recording Debut Album

Post by VicStelly » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:44 am

he is annoying but he wears down or disarms guests to get some stuff that is new. Far better than Eddie Trunk who is content to just let the guests repeat stuff from the press kit. Mitch Lafon is good too.
DevastatinDave

Post by DevastatinDave » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:43 pm

VicStelly wrote:he is annoying but he wears down or disarms guests to get some stuff that is new. Far better than Eddie Trunk who is content to just let the guests repeat stuff from the press kit. Mitch Lafon is good too.
Good point, if he'd just stop butting in. A couple of random thoughts-- interesting that Dana Strum was the guy that got George the Ozzy audition. And if I was a billionaire I'd probably start a band too rather than just playing golf or something. Though with him, I'd probably just fly planes and cruise around on the yacht when I'm in my mid-60's rather than writing and recording and touring.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:56 pm

DevastatinDave wrote:
VicStelly wrote:he is annoying but he wears down or disarms guests to get some stuff that is new. Far better than Eddie Trunk who is content to just let the guests repeat stuff from the press kit. Mitch Lafon is good too.
Good point, if he'd just stop butting in. A couple of random thoughts-- interesting that Dana Strum was the guy that got George the Ozzy audition. And if I was a billionaire I'd probably start a band too rather than just playing golf or something. Though with him, I'd probably just fly planes and cruise around on the yacht when I'm in my mid-60's rather than writing and recording and touring.

I bet he always wanted to tour and be a rockstar and when he hit like 60 or something it hit him: "Being a rocker is my dream, more than moving billions around and wearing a suit all the time. I never did it and i'm not getting any younger. I'm rich as balls and goddamn if I'm not gonna rock out."
MisterSinister
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MisterSinister » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:29 pm

DevastatinDave wrote:Otherwise an interesting interview, George is pretty intelligent and self-aware. Except Delray makes his interviews about himself.
That’s because it’s a discussion, not an interview.
EddieVanHeineken
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by EddieVanHeineken » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:58 pm

DevastatinDave wrote:
Good point, if he'd just stop butting in. A couple of random thoughts-- interesting that Dana Strum was the guy that got George the Ozzy audition.
Dana was Ozzy go to guy for guitarists in the LA area. He also connected randy to Ozzy.
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
to increase the population
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:34 pm

Lobo wrote:Talking about annoying radio personalities, I got Sirius satellite radio on a free 1 year trial and Jose Mangin who does a lot of the metal stuff on there is by far the most annoying radio personality I've ever heard on air, 100X more than Trunk. listening to Jose is like subjecting yourself to an all audio festival of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure or Wayne's World dialogue.

Mangin needs to be euthanized.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
DevastatinDave

Post by DevastatinDave » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:43 am

HueyRamone wrote:
DevastatinDave wrote:

I bet he always wanted to tour and be a rockstar and when he hit like 60 or something it hit him: "Being a rocker is my dream, more than moving billions around and wearing a suit all the time. I never did it and i'm not getting any younger. I'm rich as balls and goddamn if I'm not gonna rock out."
Yeah, I challenge anyone at Sludge who wants to criticize to say they wouldn't at least entertain the idea. We all wanted to be rock stars and most probably still do. David is a businessman though. DD has a business plan, so buying onto tours isn't just meant to be a hobby...
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:52 am

George Lynch is cool.
Tommy2Tone84 wrote:Dana's lines in Slaughter were interesting, fluid, intricate at times, fit the song and most importantly, grooved like a mutha.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:01 am

DevastatinDave wrote:
HueyRamone wrote:
DevastatinDave wrote:

Yeah, I challenge anyone at Sludge who wants to criticize to say they wouldn't at least entertain the idea. We all wanted to be rock stars and most probably still do. David is a businessman though. DD has a business plan, so buying onto tours isn't just meant to be a hobby...

Come on. You have to be shitting me with what you just said. Of course it's a hobby.
Or is opening act hair metal in 2018 more lucrative than I realized?

"I'm the CEO of several large businesses, and I am now, or one day will be worth over a thousand million dollars, but my band The Dead Daisies must turn a large profit, or I will be forced to abandon it. Fortunately, we have a solid road map. Just do what our peers in Faster Pussycat, Skid Row, Lynch Mob, and Bullyboys are doing, and we'll soon be rolling in so much dough, i'll never go to another Westfield board meeting ever again."
DevastatinDave

Post by DevastatinDave » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:57 am

HueyRamone wrote:
DevastatinDave wrote:
HueyRamone wrote:

Come on. You have to be shitting me with what you just said. Of course it's a hobby.
Or is opening act hair metal in 2018 more lucrative than I realized?

"I'm the CEO of several large businesses, and I am now, or one day will be worth over a thousand million dollars, but my band The Dead Daisies must turn a large profit, or I will be forced to abandon it. Fortunately, we have a solid road map. Just do what our peers in Faster Pussycat, Skid Row, Lynch Mob, and Bullyboys are doing, and we'll soon be rolling in so much dough, i'll never go to another Westfield board meeting ever again."
Jesus, don't get so bent out of shape about it. So it's a hobby. What I'm saying is that he wants it to be a for-profit hobby.
gtrjay

Post by gtrjay » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:24 am

Wild Obsession wrote:Did he get in why Oni quit again.

He skated over it faster than bert does on his wig

Image]
RoyalSlack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by RoyalSlack » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:02 pm

EddieVanHeineken wrote:
DevastatinDave wrote:
Good point, if he'd just stop butting in. A couple of random thoughts-- interesting that Dana Strum was the guy that got George the Ozzy audition.
Dana was Ozzy go to guy for guitarists in the LA area. He also connected randy to Ozzy.
Jake E. Lee got his audition via Dana Strum as well,
if memory serves me right.
"Champagne for my real friends and real pain for my sham friends." -Tom Waits
RoyalSlack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by RoyalSlack » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:04 pm

From what I understand, both Dead Daisies & Art of Anarchy are “trust-funded.”
"Champagne for my real friends and real pain for my sham friends." -Tom Waits