Record Sales Tank for top artists

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SkeletorsGhost
Headlining Clubs

Record Sales Tank for top artists

Post by SkeletorsGhost » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:24 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/record-sales-t ... 38243.html

Record sales are facing a massive plunge. Justin Timberlake's latest album only sold 285,000 copies. U2 selling only 250,000 on their most recent album. Taylor Swift album sales are down by 3 million since 2014.
U2 needs to go away already, just terrible
HueyRamone
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Record Sales Tank for top artists

Post by HueyRamone » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:20 am

Why would albums sell when all the kids are on Spotify or Apple Music?
Roxxxxtar
Headlining Clubs

Post by Roxxxxtar » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:16 am

I have a buddy that still buys cds for everything he can find; some vinyl too. "The kids", at least mine, only stream. We pay for Apple Music. I sold every one of my cds to some flooring installers a couple years back. I didn't feel like dicking around with the giant cd shelves, they made me an offer, and I accepted. They were all ripped to an external hard drive. Now, I only stream. I never bothered to figure out how streams equate into sales.
Theatre of Vince Neil
Headlining Clubs

Post by Theatre of Vince Neil » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:14 am

It's a really weird thing to see music lose it's stature with kids - it is just not important any more.
BDG135
Headlining Clubs

Post by BDG135 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:21 am

It's a completely different listening experience now. How much would I have loved, as a kid, to have almost every album available for 10 bucks a month or free? I would have saved a lot of money but I may not have been as big a fan of certain bands. I may not have listened to certain albums over and over and gotten into them as much as I did.
Last edited by BDG135 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people really that do that. - Blotz
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:24 am

Theatre of Vince Neil wrote:It's a really weird thing to see music lose it's stature with kids - it is just not important any more.

I see every kid everywhere with earbuds or Beats By Dre on in public all the time. Not sure if they're as passionate about specific artists as we are, but they seem to listen to music much more constantly than I do.... I certainly can get through a workout or my workday or a walk on the sidewalk without listening to tunes.
Mojo
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Mojo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:28 am

HueyRamone wrote:
Theatre of Vince Neil wrote:It's a really weird thing to see music lose it's stature with kids - it is just not important any more.

I see every kid everywhere with earbuds or Beats By Dre on in public all the time. Not sure if they're as passionate about specific artists as we are, but they seem to listen to music much more constantly than I do.... I certainly can get through a workout or my workday or a walk on the sidewalk without listening to tunes.
Yeah. I would say music is way more common to kids these days. Every kid has headphones on at all times. They’re less attached to it but they listen to it more. It’s not as special because it’s so ubiquitous, but it’s so ubiquitous because it’s so available. Like your mom.

The other thing is that music is less of the focus. It’s almost a byproduct of the celebrity and their social media accounts. These rappers are all bizznezzmen or Instagram whores and the music is just what gets people through until the next time they can access the artist’s other products.
SikkiNixx wrote:my cool rock jeans were now stained with clit -blood

Image Image
MisterSinister
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MisterSinister » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:46 pm

My daughter loves listening to music, and I have the Amazon Prime Music Unlimited Fanily plan, so she can stream almost anything, but when she tells me there’s something specific she’s into I buy her the CD so she knows what it’s like to unwrap the disc, hold it in her hand, smell the printed materials, flip through the booklet, read the lyrics and credits... I hope I’m helping her appreciate an ALBUM as more than simply the songs, which are free basically and like air in and out of your lungs, quickly forgotten.
GaulPilbert
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by GaulPilbert » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:34 pm

SkeletorsGhost wrote:Taylor Swift album sales are down by 3 million since 2014.
That still means she sold like 2 million copies (and is touring stadiums again)... so not exactly a failure. That said, her new album is melody and hook-less pop drama crap and isn't even close to being as good as 1989, which easily explains the drop.
Desslar
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Desslar » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:43 pm

HueyRamone wrote:Why would albums sell when all the kids are on Spotify or Apple Music?
Because their parents are still buying.
Civil_war
Headlining Clubs

Post by Civil_war » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:04 am

In high school, I absolutely loved going to the record store and picking out albums. I would always hit up the used record shops and see what they had. I discovered a TON of cool shit that way. I really don't know what the music listening experience is like today, but it seems like shit. Getting a new album and listening to it the whole way through is a great experience.

The first three albums I ever bought were 1984, Hysteria, and Appetite for Destruction. I bought all three on the same day and I had no money left after that. I powered through all three and absolutely despised Appetite. However, after I tired of the other two, I gave Appetite another listen, and then another, and another. Slowly it started to creep in and I can't imagine what my life would be today without it; it's easily my favorite album. I don't know if many teens will get to have that type of experience today, or if they even care to.
StateOfShock
Headlining Clubs

Post by StateOfShock » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:55 am

Kids these days listen to a ton of music, but they just aren't connected with it the way we and our parents generations were. They don't have loyalty to artists. They just stream whatever is the "in thing" at the time and then move on to the next thing. With hip-hop and rap being the biggest music out there, it makes sense too. It is so over-saturated with different artists doing the same thing, they are all disposable. Basically, kids today have the "fast food mentality" with music.
Civil_war
Headlining Clubs

Post by Civil_war » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:20 am

StateOfShock wrote:Kids these days listen to a ton of music, but they just aren't connected with it the way we and our parents generations were. They don't have loyalty to artists. They just stream whatever is the "in thing" at the time and then move on to the next thing. With hip-hop and rap being the biggest music out there, it makes sense too. It is so over-saturated with different artists doing the same thing, they are all disposable. Basically, kids today have the "fast food mentality" with music.

I want to say the same thing is kind of true for movies as well. When I was growing up, I would go to the video store every week and pick up a shitty VHS based on its cover. I would watch the movie the whole way through, good or bad, because that's all I had for the night. As a result, I discovered a ton of cool b-movies that I would have never given a second thought to. I notice that if a movie starts off slow and shitty today, kids are likely to turn it off and choose something else (I'm basing this off my nephews and nieces, but I'm guilty of it too). With Netflix, there is no need to sit through something that doesn't immediately appeal to you, because you have access to hundreds of other movies that will.

Sometimes I force myself to sit through full random movies on Netflix and I've found a lot of cool shit by doing so.
blackedout85
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by blackedout85 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:40 am

Dispite the decline in sales it seems these top artists are richer than ever. I just saw an article where Drake is selling his home in Ca for $20 MIL.
Theatre of Vince Neil
Headlining Clubs

Post by Theatre of Vince Neil » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:49 am

Sure, music is everywhere, but my point was the not a lot of kids has a current favorite band, hangs pictures of bands on their walls (or posts on them on Instagram), wears shirts, etc.

Growing up, when I was making friends, one of the first questions I would ask was “what is your favorite band?”

It is over. Society has moved on.
itdoesntmatter
Headlining Clubs

Post by itdoesntmatter » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:01 am

MisterSinister wrote:My daughter loves listening to music, and I have the Amazon Prime Music Unlimited Fanily plan, so she can stream almost anything, but when she tells me there’s something specific she’s into I buy her the CD so she knows what it’s like to unwrap the disc, hold it in her hand, smell the printed materials, flip through the booklet, read the lyrics and credits... I hope I’m helping her appreciate an ALBUM as more than simply the songs, which are free basically and like air in and out of your lungs, quickly forgotten.
Same here, same with DVDs/Bluray movies. My daughter is 10. She saves up her holiday money and buys physical media. I was just talking to her mom the other night about how some movie she just bought had a really cool case/booklet. 16 year-old son is a different story - more into Pandora, BUT he had CDs and vinyl a few years ago and owns and plays several guitars and a bass. Not in a band anymore as he's more into cars and girls (and I guess music doesn't hold the same cachet with the latter anymore) these days.
gatomike
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by gatomike » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:30 pm

My stepson is ten going to be 11 next month.When I was his age I was watching lots of MTV back in 87/88 and listening to lots of hard rock and buying cassettes.My wife and I both like hard rock and I always play it in the car.He just does not seem that interested.I don't care though I'm not one of those dads that drags my kid to concerts and makes him wear my favorite bands shirts.

Maybe if there was a platform like MTV and music mags at every store and record stores all over kids might be more interested.

Then again they got computers and cellphones to play around with.I live in San Diego and I don't see kids outside either like I use to growing up things are just different in many ways.Sure we had Nintendo when I was a kid but we spent lots of time outside too.

I stopped buying physical media a few years ago.I got all my songs and albums on a cellphone I have 120 gb card I use for the car and I just use youtube or the internet at home no reason to dig all these cds out when listening to music.

I got to say though from about 10 into the early 2000s I loved going to record stores.I use to love listening to music with friends and talking about bands or discovering new bands at the record store or via Headbangers Ball the radio or friends and reading music magazines,but I do love the internet and what it has to offer via message boards,social media and youtube when it comes to bands I love.I also love how I get any song I want to listen to on the internet pretty much or how I can download bootlegs for free that are way better quality then the vhs ones I use to pay good money for.Things have just changed nothing stays the same.I laugh when adults my age or older go oh we had it so much better then our kids did growing up.I'm sure our parents said the same shit.
Whitetrashed
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Whitetrashed » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:19 am

Civil_war wrote:
StateOfShock wrote:Kids these days listen to a ton of music, but they just aren't connected with it the way we and our parents generations were. They don't have loyalty to artists. They just stream whatever is the "in thing" at the time and then move on to the next thing. With hip-hop and rap being the biggest music out there, it makes sense too. It is so over-saturated with different artists doing the same thing, they are all disposable. Basically, kids today have the "fast food mentality" with music.

I want to say the same thing is kind of true for movies as well. When I was growing up, I would go to the video store every week and pick up a shitty VHS based on its cover. I would watch the movie the whole way through, good or bad, because that's all I had for the night. As a result, I discovered a ton of cool b-movies that I would have never given a second thought to. I notice that if a movie starts off slow and shitty today, kids are likely to turn it off and choose something else (I'm basing this off my nephews and nieces, but I'm guilty of it too). With Netflix, there is no need to sit through something that doesn't immediately appeal to you, because you have access to hundreds of other movies that will.

Sometimes I force myself to sit through full random movies on Netflix and I've found a lot of cool shit by doing so.
My parent's generation said the same thing about books. My generation was all about albums. Kids today, games are their LPs. Some of them get curious and dive into books, but their childhood and formative years are games now. They have the same pride for their game collections, that I had for my pile of LPs.

What are you gonna do? We're old. And I don't care if they're on my lawn, they're kids, cut them some slack.
suckit
Platinum Artist

Post by suckit » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:09 am

HueyRamone wrote:Why would albums sell when all the kids are on Spotify or Apple Music?
/thread

And the adults that know better.
tym wrote:The time your user name deathcurse got banned was comedy fucking gold. The e-mail you sent the ceo crying like the little ginger bitch you are was fucking epic. Wish I would saved that one, the bit about the lawyers was fucking funny.
Gwrexx
Headlining Clubs

Post by Gwrexx » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:42 am

BDG135 wrote:It's a completely different listening experience now. How much would I have loved, as a kid, to have almost every album available for 10 bucks a month or free? I would have saved a lot of money but I may not have been as big a fan of certain bands. I may not have listened to certain albums over and over and gotten into them as much as I did.
This. I pay for Spotify, sometimes I have to actually remind myself when someone mentions a band or album to me that "yeah, I have that..I have almost every album ever done right here in 2 clicks"..

For the last 10+ years up until last year I still bought cd's, I'd then rip them to MP3 but now I've taped out on that, I'm perfectly fine paying $10 a month to what is basically renting all the music I will ever listen to..it's actually a great time to be alive if you're a music fan, at least as far as I'm concerned..
Ain't flinging tears out on the dusty ground for all my friends out on the burial ground. Can't stand the feeling getting so brought down. It's just that demon life has got me in its sway
StateOfShock
Headlining Clubs

Post by StateOfShock » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:38 am

Whitetrashed wrote:
Civil_war wrote:

My parent's generation said the same thing about books. My generation was all about albums. Kids today, games are their LPs. Some of them get curious and dive into books, but their childhood and formative years are games now. They have the same pride for their game collections, that I had for my pile of LPs.

What are you gonna do? We're old. And I don't care if they're on my lawn, they're kids, cut them some slack.

Good point regarding the games. That is their passion.
StateOfShock
Headlining Clubs

Post by StateOfShock » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:45 am

Gwrexx wrote:For the last 10+ years up until last year I still bought cd's, I'd then rip them to MP3 but now I've taped out on that, I'm perfectly fine paying $10 a month to what is basically renting all the music I will ever listen to..it's actually a great time to be alive if you're a music fan, at least as far as I'm concerned..

I did the same exact thing last year and I wish I did it sooner. I signed up the family to Amazon Unlimited for $15 a month and it was a great decision. I'll still buy CDs for my absolute favorite artists, but that's it.
Mister Freeze
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Mister Freeze » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:18 am

BDG135 wrote:How much would I have loved, as a kid, to have almost every album available for 10 bucks a month or free?
No shit. As a kid, I blew so much money on CDs, videos and tons and tons of fucking magazines. Kids today don't spend a dime on any of that. They have torrents, YouTube, and an internet that's full of instant information.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:45 am

Mister Freeze wrote:
BDG135 wrote:How much would I have loved, as a kid, to have almost every album available for 10 bucks a month or free?
No shit. As a kid, I blew so much money on CDs, videos and tons and tons of fucking magazines. Kids today don't spend a dime on any of that. They have torrents, YouTube, and an internet that's full of instant information.

And they have those newfangled video games! Back in our day, for fun, we used to eat the bark off trees! And it was horrible and our mouths bled.... and we liked it! We liked it fine!
stereolabster
Recording Your Demo

Post by stereolabster » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:23 am

https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/4/45 ... ming-soars

Music sales are actually increasing.
scruffman
Headlining Clubs

Post by scruffman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:24 pm

Funny thing is I just read that CD and record sales are up?
My love, it grows for you
touch it, lick it,

shake it
it spit's for you too!!!!!
FreddyFender
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by FreddyFender » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:43 am

Civil_war wrote:The first three albums I ever bought were 1984, Hysteria, and Appetite for Destruction. I bought all three on the same day and I had no money left after that. I powered through all three and absolutely despised Appetite. However, after I tired of the other two, I gave Appetite another listen, and then another, and another. Slowly it started to creep in and I can't imagine what my life would be today without it; it's easily my favorite album. I don't know if many teens will get to have that type of experience today, or if they even care to.
Yeah, I think about that a lot, vato. Once you bought an album, you owned all of those songs, so you would keep listening to album tracks you didn't like because, shit, you already paid for 'em. And often times, things would grow on you.

But the counter argument is "Fuck that. I like being able to listen to something and say 'this fucking sucks i'm never listening to it again'" without being out any cash. :lol:
fretslayer
Headlining Clubs

Post by fretslayer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:34 am

This^^^

Physical copies of music, or buying in that matter is dead. Streaming, youtube etc are where things have gone as far as consuming music is concerned. Got a premium subscription to Spotify a few years ago, haven't looked back. Don't miss CD's at all.
suckit
Platinum Artist

Post by suckit » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:25 am

stereolabster wrote:https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/4/45 ... ming-soars

Music sales are actually increasing.
due to more people buying into subscription services. physical media sales are still down.
tym wrote:The time your user name deathcurse got banned was comedy fucking gold. The e-mail you sent the ceo crying like the little ginger bitch you are was fucking epic. Wish I would saved that one, the bit about the lawyers was fucking funny.
TenBenny

Post by TenBenny » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:40 pm

I was actually going to ask about the U2 album in another thread. That album seemed to just come out without too much fanfare. And I honestly haven't heard anyone talk about it since. I think the situation of this album being a so-so companion piece to the so-so last album that people were furious about getting for free on their computers might not do the album any favors either. It's possible that U2 has finally just hit that creative wall for real.