George Lynch VS. Jake E. Lee: Best chops?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Who did it better?

George Lynch
56%
Jake E. Lee
44%

Total votes: 57
supertzar7078
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

George Lynch VS. Jake E. Lee: Best chops?

Post by supertzar7078 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:32 pm

Who did it better?
suckit
Platinum Artist

Re: George Lynch VS. Jake E. Lee: Best chops?

Post by suckit » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:34 pm

Love em both but Lynchies better.
tym wrote:The time your user name deathcurse got banned was comedy fucking gold. The e-mail you sent the ceo crying like the little ginger bitch you are was fucking epic. Wish I would saved that one, the bit about the lawyers was fucking funny.
Sleek
Platinum Artist

Post by Sleek » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Lynch has a completely unique voice on the instrument and is an utter alien. The hair metal Jeff Beck.

Jake is fine.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
Psychobolia.com
Cockblocked by Poison
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:16 pm

Close but Lynch for me.

I just learned his solo to Tooth and Nail. I thought it was going to be difficult but it's actually pretty easy to learn, a lot of his stuff is just "shapes", re-occuring patterns that repeat down each string. Still, I'm having trouble with one open hammer-on section towards the end of the solo because it's just so damn fast, he plays certain patterns really, really fast.
Olds_71_442
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by Olds_71_442 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:26 pm

suckit wrote:Love em both but Lynchies better.
Same for me.
dmbrocker
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by dmbrocker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:57 pm

suckit wrote:Love em both but Lynchies better.
Yep, this. Jake's playing on Bark at the Moon, The Ultimate Sin, and Badlands' first two albums is solid, but Lynch is a bonafide guitar god...
holymountain wrote:Good ol' reliable Flake Mob. The retirement village for scabs too lowly for Dokken and BulletBoys.
dffd78
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by dffd78 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:07 pm

When both were on top of their game, I preferred Jakes style/tone more.

Technically speaking: Lynch
risingfarce
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by risingfarce » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:22 pm

Lee.

Lynch never played anything as good as the rhythm and solos in the song "Bark At The Moon".
supertzar7078
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by supertzar7078 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:39 pm

Lynch never wrote a riff with anywhere near the crunch as the opening riff of Rock n Roll Rebel.

Although I think his solos have more 'feel' than Jake's..and his technique is simply unique in rock/metal.

Shred factor..I think they're both about equal.
fret123

Post by fret123 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:50 pm

supertzar7078 wrote:Lynch never wrote a riff with anywhere near the crunch as the opening riff of Rock n Roll Rebel.

Although I think his solos have more 'feel' than Jake's..and his technique is simply unique in rock/metal.

I always thought til The Living End was a pretty good riff, and the solo is bananas. George Lynch was by far the better guitarist in every respect, plus he had that kind of Eddie Van Halen inventiveness and creativity for creating intros and compositional solos, as opposed to just wankery. His guitarwork, the riffs, the bridges, the solos just blows me away. George Lynch was god-like. Jake was just good.
diablomozart

Post by diablomozart » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:50 pm

lynch has the more unique voice as a soloist...jake was a much more innovative rhythm player...d.m.
fret123

Post by fret123 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:54 pm

supertzar7078 wrote:Lynch never wrote a riff with anywhere near the crunch as the opening riff of Rock n Roll Rebel.

I always thought til The Living End was a pretty good riff, and the solo is bananas. George Lynch was by far the better guitarist in every respect, plus he had that kind of Eddie Van Halen inventiveness and creativity for creating intros and compositional solos, as opposed to just wankery. His guitarwork, the riffs, the bridges, the solos just blows me away. George Lynch was god-like. Jake was just good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suwXLMjylB0
Thebottomline
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Thebottomline » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:08 pm

Jake E. Lee.

There's some footage with George playing with Sebastian Bach, Phil Soussan, and Vinnie Appice and they were doing some Ozzy covers and George couldn't play the Jake E. Lee's parts for shit. George seriously botched The Ultimate Sin, Shot In The Dark, and his attempt trying to play Killer Of Giants would should have been laughable but it was just flat out sad.
EddieVanHeineken

Post by EddieVanHeineken » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:45 am

Thebottomline wrote:Jake E. Lee.

There's some footage with George playing with Sebastian Bach, Phil Soussan, and Vinnie Appice and they were doing some Ozzy covers and George couldn't play the Jake E. Lee's parts for shit. George seriously botched The Ultimate Sin, Shot In The Dark, and his attempt trying to play Killer Of Giants would should have been laughable but it was just flat out sad.

I had to go look that footage up. George is not a guy that covers material very well. Which is why I don't think he would have been a good fit for Ozzy. I was curious how he'd do with Killer of Giants, which IMO, is on of Ozzy's best and more unique songs. Also, the solo is fantastic. His guitar was out of tune coming out of his solo. Just take a second to tune up, Not that hard. I guess thats the price you pay for the wammy bar and locking nuts. Anyway, he did better on the rhythm parts than I thought he would. The first verse had some cool classical style finger picking which Lynch didn't bother with. He did fine on the other parts. The solo he didn't even make an effort to cover what Jake did. Overall, it wasn't as terrible as I'd imagined, but reinforces that George is not a good rhythm player and not good at emulating others. Which is fine. He has his own unique lead style that I'm sure if the tables were turned, Jake couldn't copy. I don't see Jake being able to play the Kiss of Death solo.
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
to increase the population
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
SeminiferousButtNoid
Certified Asshole

Post by SeminiferousButtNoid » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:42 am

I'd say they are about equal rhythm players but George Lynch is the better lead player.
Son_of_Sam_I_Am wrote:
Aren't you one of those meat-selling scammers?

Then the mark takes the bait, hauls the box home and finds out it's full of sheep eyeballs, horse dicks and tripe?

You're running (or have run) that scam, aren't you? Dead serious question here.
fret123

Post by fret123 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:31 am

Thebottomline wrote:Jake E. Lee.

.......and if Jake had to do Kiss Of Death or Mr. Scary he probably couldn't do it either in an off the cuff jam situation.
Sleek
Platinum Artist

Post by Sleek » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:58 am

Meh. RNRR is just sort of a terrible/typical F# minor riff. Every band back then had one.

Dokken's version was "Lightning strikes again".

Contrast, compare:

OZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHBjdSRmRvU

DOK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcjHqDN1Is0
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
JohnnyDouche
Headlining Clubs

Post by JohnnyDouche » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:59 am

Funny. For the guitarists out there, they know lynch snagged that exact riff and sped it up (lightning strikes again). That call and response solo alone puts lynch up there.

Lynch by a fuckin mile.
I can see you like to douche
Thrasherfan17
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by Thrasherfan17 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:32 am

For me, George isn't in the same league as Jake. Best chops, as in speed? Rhythm?
I'd take Jakes vibrato over GL any day. As far as songwriting goes, its not even close. Any of the good Dokken songs were written by Don.
Not to take anything away from George, as he's written some great solos, and Mr Scary is his shining moment. The first Lynch Mob album was good too. But all three Badlands albums are on another level, imo. Even the RDC cd had some moments. I'm looking forward to hearing the next one.
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:02 pm

Both were golden metal gods between 1984 and 1990. Fuck you all for pitting them against one another!!!!
Chip Z'Hoy wrote:
Dude, I played in punk bands for 10 years. Try me.
suckit
Platinum Artist

Post by suckit » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:59 pm

Tommy2Tone84 wrote:Both were golden metal gods between 1984 and 1990. Fuck you all for pitting them against one another!!!!
True that. They were both on their game during that time, and they were players' players.
tym wrote:The time your user name deathcurse got banned was comedy fucking gold. The e-mail you sent the ceo crying like the little ginger bitch you are was fucking epic. Wish I would saved that one, the bit about the lawyers was fucking funny.