Ozzy at Download Festival Paris

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

*ech*
Having Slaughter Open for You

Ozzy at Download Festival Paris

Post by *ech* » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:26 am

Yesterday was the first day of the Download Paris 2018. It's actually pretty far out of Paris but quite easy to get to thanks to an uncharacteristically efficient organisation.

A few interesting bands today including Vanderberg's Moonkings, Converge and Ghost but I didn't get to see any of them as I got to the very front of the Main Stage Area in anticipation of tonight's headliner: Ozzy.

First, Opeth, whose records I love and were great last time I saw them in a smaller venue.

https://electriceyephoto.blogspot.com/2 ... -22nd.html

However on a huge stage, in an open air setting, in daylight... well, they were quite boring. The intricacies of their music is lost on a drunken festival crowd and only during the brutal "death metal" passages did their set take off. Their affable demeanour also did nothing to compensate their absolute lack of stagecraft.

https://electriceyephoto.blogspot.com/2 ... -2018.html

Right after that was Ghost, on the Second Main Stage and they sounded pretty good from afar... I never made it there so as not to lose my spot but you could smell the pyro from where I was and the crowd looked really into it. However, before the last notes hit, they all ran over to the Main Stage 1 to wait for the star of the day.

He came in at 21h45 sharp, after a lengthy video intro and the famous Opus Dei from Carmina Burana.

Last time I saw him was for Black Sabbath's supposed last show a year and a half ago, and Ozyy solo is a different deal: less doom, more fun.

https://electriceyephoto.blogspot.com/2 ... ngham.html

Ozzy is always a good time, it's like watching a child playing: endearing and a little embarrassing at times. He was sporting a generous pot belly that hung out of his shirt quite a few times during the set, but there is not an ounce of self-consciousness in this guy. Hell, there is not an ounce of consciousness in this guy. But his enthusiasm is infectious.

Zakk Wylde is awesome, I don't care what anyone says. Sure, he loves his pinch harmonics and he probably smells like he's been sleeping in a dumpster but what a guitarist!

The setlist was pretty good, and the show was great, if little short: between the intro, the solos and the stage banter ("I still can't fucking hear you!") Ozzy was probably onstage singing for an hour. He's also stuck behind his huge prompters most of the time. But I'm not complaining: if he was off key then it wasn't noticeable from where I was.

What was noticeable however was how downtuned everything was, to accommodate our man's voice. Zakk's riffs were often a muddy, bass-y mess: the opening riff to Fairies Wear Boots, which has those pretty chiming notes, was almost unrecognisable.

Small complaint: everyone left the show exhausted and happy from having witnessed a great set by a legend. There aren't many left.

https://electriceyephoto.blogspot.com/2 ... -15th.html (with a video at the bottom)
Last edited by *ech* on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenBenny
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Ozzy at Download Festival Paris

Post by TenBenny » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:43 am

*ech* wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:26 am
Yesterday was the first day of the Download Paris 2018. It's actually pretty far out of Paris but quite easy to get to thanks to an uncharacteristically efficient organisation.

A few interesting bands today including Vanderberg's Moonkings, Converge and Ghost but I didn't get to see any of them as I got to the very front of the Main Stage Area in anticipation of tonight's headliner: Ozzy.

First, Opeth, whose records I love and were great last time I saw them in a smaller venue.

https://electriceyephoto.blogspot.com/2 ... -22nd.html

However on a huge stage, in an open air setting, in daylight... well, they were quite boring. The intricacies of their music is lost on a drunken festival crowd and only during the brutal "death metal" passages did their set take off. Their affable demeanour also did nothing to compensate their absolute lack of stagecraft.

https://electriceyephoto.blogspot.com/2 ... -2018.html

Right after that was Ghost, on the Second Main Stage and they sounded pretty good from afar... I never made it there so as not to lose my spot but you could smell the pyro from where I was and the crowd looked really into it. However, before the last notes hit, they all ran over to the Main Stage 1 to wait for the star of the day.

He came in at 21h45 sharp, after a lengthy video intro and the famous Opus Dei from Carmina Burana.

Last time I saw him was for Black Sabbath's supposed last show a year and a half ago, and Ozyy solo is a different deal: less doom, more fun.

https://electriceyephoto.blogspot.com/2 ... ngham.html

Ozzy is always a good time, it's like watching a child playing: endearing and a little embarrassing at times. He was sporting a generous pot belly that hung out of his shirt quite a few times during the set, but there is not an ounce of self-consciousness in this guy. Hell, there is not an ounce of consciousness in this guy. But his enthusiasm is infectious.

Zakk Wylde is awesome, I don't care what anyone says. Sure, he loves his pinch harmonics and he probably smells like he's been sleeping in a dumpster but what a guitarist!

The setlist was pretty good, and the show was great, if little short: between the intro, the solos and the stage banter ("I still can't fucking hear you!") Ozzy was probably onstage singing for an hour. He's also stuck behind his huge prompters most of the time. But I'm not complaining: if he was off key then it wasn't noticeable from where I was.

What was noticeable however was how downtrend everything was, to accommodate our man's voice. Zakk's riffs were often a muddy, bass-y mess: the opening riff to Fairies Wear Boots, which has those pretty chiming notes, was almost unrecognisable.

Small complaint: everyone left the show exhausted and happy from having witnessed a great set by a legend. There aren't many left.

https://electriceyephoto.blogspot.com/2 ... -15th.html (with a video at the bottom)

I'm glad you enjoyed Ozzy's set. I kind of feel like everything you described would provoke the exact opposite reaction in me, lol, but to each his or her own of course. Every newer video I see of Ozzy screams "This is too painful to watch!"
michelish
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by michelish » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:33 am

Luckily they are videos in existence which document a time when Ozzy wasn't a drooling zombie lobotomized by medication and had enough energy to at least attempt to hit the proper notes and didn't need his band to downtune to the key of L.

It's best to pretend like he doesn't exist now because he really doesn't. That thing aimlessly meandering about the stage while mumbling lyrics isn't even a shell of what he used to be.
NearlyNormal
Headlining Clubs

Post by NearlyNormal » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:19 am

*ech* wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:26 am
Ozzy is always a good time, it's like watching a child playing: endearing and a little embarrassing at times.

"At times" :lol:

At this point he's more like your old grandfather who shit his pants but you're too embarrassed you tell him.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by MetalSludgeCEO » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:26 am

Different strokes for different folks.

I cannot see standing in a field ALL DAY, or God forbid an entire weekend to watch a band.

Call me crazy, but even in my youngest concert going years, I never once waited overnight to be first in line to buy tix. Or stood in a open-air field all day (trying to save my place) tp watch a band.

I guess I was never that BIG of a fan of any band, that I decided to completely alter my life, ability to sleep in a bed, go to work, all to stand like a sheep in a pen to see a rock star.

I recall friends back in Wisconsin, who would stand overnight in the dead of winter to get Motley Crue tix back in 1985. No thanks.

Kudos to those who enjoy it, but not for me.

$tEvil
*ech*

Post by *ech* » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:33 am

I'm the same, although I do see how the kids would enjoy it: dozens of bands on five stages, lots of activities revolving around the "metal lifestyle" whatever that may be (well, beer, tattoos etc.)... It's pretty cool if you are into it. I just came for those last couple of bands but if you are gung-ho into heavy metal and have the patience and stamina then you can spend your whole day there.
bigbuttskinner
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by bigbuttskinner » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:41 am

Look into a better life. So much time wasted at just that show alone. And for that broken down, no talent hack? Damn dude. You must really hate yourself.
NeverSurrender wrote: I wish I could see everyone pounding their chest. It's so hot. My fantasy!
David_Lee_Halen wrote:I talked to Wolfie online once, and he was cool too.
*ech*

Post by *ech* » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:06 am

bigbuttskinner wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:41 am
Look into a better life. So much time wasted at just that show alone. And for that broken down, no talent hack? Damn dude. You must really hate yourself.
I do, I really do. But for much better reasons altogether than enjoying a rock show. I had a great time!
the_man_incognito
Headlining Clubs

Post by the_man_incognito » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:10 am

MetalSludgeCEO wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:26 am
Different strokes for different folks.

I cannot see standing in a field ALL DAY, or God forbid an entire weekend to watch a band.

Call me crazy, but even in my youngest concert going years, I never once waited overnight to be first in line to buy tix. Or stood in a open-air field all day (trying to save my place) tp watch a band.

I guess I was never that BIG of a fan of any band, that I decided to completely alter my life, ability to sleep in a bed, go to work, all to stand like a sheep in a pen to see a rock star.

I recall friends back in Wisconsin, who would stand overnight in the dead of winter to get Motley Crue tix back in 1985. No thanks.

Kudos to those who enjoy it, but not for me.

$tEvil
Amen to everything you said...
Psychobolia.com
Cockblocked by Poison
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:36 am

Damn, that Suicide Solution clip is downtuned quite a bit...! Sounds like it was a fun time, but aside from Ghost, I think I would have been bored the rest of the day (Never quite got into Opeth...), and logistically would have been a difficult trek for me even though I was seriously considering going...