TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #21 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #10 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

SikkiNixx wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:00 pm This thread needs steel toe boots ...Name dropping Norman mentions every single celeb you see in Hollywood.. We understand theres famous people eating outside... but still... good reading... so my question is... its obvious that Tuff had money ... why didn't they, or you, Norman, buy a couple good songs?? Ive listened to a bunch of Tuff.. lots of songs.. probably pretty close to all there is online... the only constant so far, is theres no Good songs... which aint no huge secret or anything.. so by not purchasing a song or hiring a tried and true writer, was the reason something like the old ego?? I Would Do Anything For Love, But I Won't Do That type of thing?? Or was that just too expensive??? Or what??? You guys had everything... every single ingredient in music... except for good songs. if this question is already answered somewhere else in the first 4 pages, answer it again lol
Question....

What is a good song?

It's safe to say there are a ton of not very good songs, that became hits, based on timing, label support, etc..

I am not claiming we had Bon Jovi or Def Leppard hits... but it's not like our debut or "Religious Fix" was WildBoyz level. Let's be 100.

Just sayin'

$tEvil
Mikky_Five
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #4 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by Mikky_Five »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:25 pm
Please tell me...what should the title be?

Still Tuff after all that Stuff

Stevie Rachelle in: Tuff Times

Big Dreams, Big Dick, Tuff Shit

The X-tension Files
SikkiNixx
Sharing sandwiches with street kids

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #10 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by SikkiNixx »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:18 am
SikkiNixx wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:00 pm This thread needs steel toe boots ...Name dropping Norman mentions every single celeb you see in Hollywood.. We understand theres famous people eating outside... but still... good reading... so my question is... its obvious that Tuff had money ... why didn't they, or you, Norman, buy a couple good songs?? Ive listened to a bunch of Tuff.. lots of songs.. probably pretty close to all there is online... the only constant so far, is theres no Good songs... which aint no huge secret or anything.. so by not purchasing a song or hiring a tried and true writer, was the reason something like the old ego?? I Would Do Anything For Love, But I Won't Do That type of thing?? Or was that just too expensive??? Or what??? You guys had everything... every single ingredient in music... except for good songs. if this question is already answered somewhere else in the first 4 pages, answer it again lol
Question....

What is a good song?

It's safe to say there are a ton of not very good songs, that became hits, based on timing, label support, etc..

I am not claiming we had Bon Jovi or Def Leppard hits... but it's not like our debut or "Religious Fix" was WildBoyz level. Let's be 100.

Just sayin'

$tEvil
You're absolutely right.. Eye of the beholder and all that... I was simply wondering about the possibilities that might have been if your "money" member in the band would have bought a couple songs.. I don't wanna blow smoke up your ass, but you guys were obviously all talented, capable musicians, living in the best place to be at the time.. seems like maybe the right song at the right time could have made a difference, that's all.
I guess it's all moot now anyhow.
New World Under Attack
No Telling If We'll Make It Out
Or Turn To Black
skatexedge
Headlining Clubs

Post by skatexedge »

Man I really enjoyed the Tuff Diaries! I sure hope you will have more installments. :mrgreen:
NearlyNormal
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by NearlyNormal »

skatexedge wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:35 pm Man I really enjoyed the Tuff Diaries! I sure hope you will have more installments. :mrgreen:

They've now become the UBER DIARIES narrated by $tuber.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

SikkiNixx wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:32 am
MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:18 am
Question....

What is a good song?

Just sayin'

$tEvil
You're absolutely right.. Eye of the beholder and all that... I was simply wondering about the possibilities that might have been if your "money" member in the band would have bought a couple songs.. I don't wanna blow smoke up your ass, but you guys were obviously all talented, capable musicians, living in the best place to be at the time.. seems like maybe the right song at the right time could have made a difference, that's all.
I guess it's all moot now anyhow.
i don't think the voice suited the shitty songs. it was like phil lewis singing in poison.
wake me up was a pretty cool tune. i'll give ya that.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

TUFF DIAIRES (Entry #11)

...the start of 1990 is coming along nice!

Highlighted with the Britny Fox/Tuff East Coast Tour April 1990.

The tour kicked off night #1 at "The Living Room" in Rhode Island ... we killed it and outsold BF in merch!

And then I will detail the rest of that tour...and what happened...as we watched 'Dizzy' Dean Davidson beating up the guitarist Michael Kelly-Smith...and the tour was over in a hot mess minute.

....Stay Tuned!

$tEvil
inextrem
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by inextrem »

Niiiiiice
SikkiNixx
Sharing sandwiches with street kids

Post by SikkiNixx »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:51 am TUFF DIAIRES (Entry #11)

...the start of 1990 is coming along nice!

Highlighted with the Britny Fox/Tuff East Coast Tour April 1990.

The tour kicked off night #1 at "The Living Room" in Rhode Island ... we killed it and outsold BF in merch!

And then I will detail the rest of that tour...and what happened...as we watched 'Dizzy' Dean Davidson beating up the guitarist Michael Kelly-Smith...and the tour was over in a hot mess minute.

....Stay Tuned!

$tEvil
That's great, man... been wondering if you still planned to write another chapter
New World Under Attack
No Telling If We'll Make It Out
Or Turn To Black
Deege
Headlining Clubs

Post by Deege »

Really have enjoyed reading these diaries, Stevie. Can't wait to read more.
http://www.FuzzRecordingStudio.com
Affordable Multitrack Recording (Ohio)
http://www.SDMFworldwide.com
The Official Black Label Society Fan-Site
NearlyNormal
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by NearlyNormal »

Deege wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:35 pm Really have enjoyed reading these diaries, Stevie. Can't wait to read more.

Don't hold your breath. It's been 4 months since the last entry.
Johnnynero
Forming a Band

Post by Johnnynero »

What gives, Stevie?

Surely you could have covered off everything easily by this point... I mean, Jesus.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

TUFF DIARIES #11
Hello 1990, Texas Strippers, Hells Angels, the Britny Fox Tour and Atlantic Records signs Tuff
#Tuff #Diaries #NumberEleven #1990 #Texas #Strippers #HellsAngels #BritnyFox #AtlanticRecords
#DizzyDeanDavidson #DangerousToys #Pariah #Troubadour #JaniLane #XPoseur54 #AxlRose #MarqTorien
‘Dizzy’ Dean Davidson, Dangerous Toys, Pariah, Troubadour, Jani Lane, X-Poseur 54, Axl Rose, Marq Torien
http://metalsludge.tv/tuff-diaries-11-h ... igns-tuff/

$tEvil
BlackCrypt
Win, Lose or Hieroglyph

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #11 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by BlackCrypt »

And I am just drunk enough to read it!!
Constantine wrote:ur a fkn degenerate,
Metal Sludge wrote:It is after all, only a message board...relax!
Trist805 wrote:Chip, You owned me and I will admit defeat. I love big black cocks. Hope you are happy.
Mikky_Five

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #11 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by Mikky_Five »

Seems like you're extra busy these days so thanks for getting it out when you can.

Anyone who says you're wasting your time is just not telling the truth.
MetalSludgeCEO

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #12 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

TUFF DIARIES #12
Ready to record, Howard Benson, FM Station, Jani Lane, Court hearing and my 1st Playboy Playmate
Andy Secher, Paul O’Neil, Susie Owens, Hot Rod Long, Bobbie Brown, Tommi Gunn, Sabine & Young Guns.
#Tuff #TuffDiaries #StevieRachelle #ToddChase #JorgeDeSaint #MichaelLean #HowardBenson #AtlanticRecords #JaniLane #BobbieBrown #AndySecher #HitParader #PaulONeil #Playboy #SusieOwens #BretMichaels #CCDeVille #Poison #Sabine #HotRodLong #RockCityNews #HollywoodRocks #YoungGunns #WildSide #FMStation #RobbieCrane #TommiGunn #GerryG #MetalSludge
http://metalsludge.tv/tuff-diaries-12-r ... -playmate/

$tEvil
theglammerthebetter
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #12 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by theglammerthebetter »

Another great entry, just amazing stuff and very detailed as always

I spotted 2 small mistakes Falling Down was with Michael Douglas, not kirk, and its Britney not Britany ( when you talk about young stars losing it )
They say all good boys go to heaven
But bad boys bring heaven to you
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

theglammerthebetter wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:44 pm Another great entry, just amazing stuff and very detailed as always

I spotted 2 small mistakes Falling Down was with Michael Douglas, not kirk, and its Britney not Britany ( when you talk about young stars losing it )
Hey man, glad you liked it.

#13 is pretty much done as well. It's all about the actual recording process, in studio, who are guests were and the money breakdown.

$tEvil
BlackCrypt
Win, Lose or Hieroglyph

Post by BlackCrypt »

I forgot how good All New Generation was. Now I can see why you did American Hairband!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv-uWu1dzYQ
Trist805 wrote:Chip, You owned me and I will admit defeat. I love big black cocks. Hope you are happy.
Flowerfairy
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by Flowerfairy »

Post deleted.
Last edited by Flowerfairy on Sun May 03, 2020 6:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Flowerfairy wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:47 pm Hi!

I love reading these diary entries.
Was a big fan of rock and heavy metal back in the day.

I remember the model you mentioned, Susie Owens, being in a few rock videos too. If I remember correctly, they were: Badlands: 'Winter's Call', Kiss: 'Rise To It', Stage Dolls: 'Love Cries', Silent Rage: 'Rebel With A Cause', and Solinger: 'Tell Sandy'.

Can't wait to read the future posts!

:0)
Don't think I recall Stage Dolls ever being mentioned on Sludge. Just played their debut yesterday actually. Saw them open for Blue Murder. Great band.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

#13.... is pretty much done. #14 underway....

Lots of interesting "being signed" related stuff here...money, splits, budgets, etc...

$tEvil
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

m glad to see that alot of you are still enjoying these.

This has all been thought out...and for the record, the TUFF DIARIES will be a 25 part series

#12 is up and that means we're half way there. Well, kind of.

In late 1995 the band ended, literally at the end of November.

But it's 2019 and it's still going, ha. Of course it's not nearly as interesting today as it was in 1988!

TUFF DIARIES by year, with respective Diary #'s

1987 = #1, #2, #3 & #4
1988 = #5, #6 & #7
1989 = #8, #9 & #10
1990 = #11 & #12

1991 = #13, #14 & #15 (Releasing the record, touring, MTV, the U.K. and our stolen truck)
1992 = #16 & #17 (Chase quits, Atlantic gives us more money, new bassist, new recordings & getting dropped)
1993 = #18 & #19 (Signing to Grand Slamm/IRS, Lean quits, touring, drugs, girls, grunge, etc..)
1994 = #20, #21 & #22 (Lots about releasing "Fist First", the videos, tours, girls, drugs, etc..)
1995 = #23, #24 & #25 (More about "Religious Fix", tours, more drugs & girls and the ending)

Between 1996 and 1999 I did 2 solo records, 3 Cheesehead releases and also started this website called Metal Sludge. I also sang on a bunch of tribute records and auditioned for the band Ratt.

It was my audition for Ratt in early 2000 that kind of gave me the itch to rock again.

So in the summer of 2000 I decided to reform Tuff, only my original plans was to call it TUFF 2k. Or TUFF 2000. As there was all the hype surrounding Y2K.

It started...and I hired Darrell Roberts on guitar who eventually quit to join W.A.S.P. and then he was in 5FDP. I also had Brian Saunders (Bass) and Tony "Sid" Eckholm (Drums). They were from a Minneapolis band called G-I-V-E who had relocated to L.A. a few years earlier. All great players.

Both Brian & Tony were from Wisconsin, and Tony, who was aka Sid was from a popular band out of the Twin Cities called Brass Kitten. And previous to that, when he was 16 he played with me in the band Talon. Which was post X-Iter, my first band. I was playing with the Talon guys until May 1987, in June 1987 I moved to California.

Darrell & Brian played on "American Hairband" but the drummer was Brian "Dogboy" Burwells.

Darrell tried to play it off like he was never in the band, but that's not true. He absolutely was in the band for almost a year. He recorded with me, did photo shoots and played just shy of 30 shows all across the Midwest and East Coast as well as the West Coast.

The TUFF DIARIES are only getting started.

The first 25 parts takes you through the first decade. More to follow...in time.

#13, 14 & 15...all from 1991 are well underway...posting sooner than you think.

I will likely add more into the late 90's...and then in the 2000's when it restarts. Lots to cover, including Sludgy stuff, releasing "American Hairband" & more.

Thanks for reading.

$tEvil
Last edited by MetalSludgeCEO on Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikky_Five

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #12 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by Mikky_Five »

If "Sludgy stuff" refers to The Dirt on Metal Sludge, aka the origin story and the heyday, except not so sugarcoated... count me sleeping on the sidewalk waiting for tickets. Dressed like Kyle Kyle, of course.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #12 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by cowpins »

You've always told it like it is, Stevie. Looking forward to all of these.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
NearlyNormal
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by NearlyNormal »

Mikky_Five wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:44 pm If "Sludgy stuff" refers to The Dirt on Metal Sludge, aka the origin story and the heyday, except not so sugarcoated... count me sleeping on the sidewalk waiting for tickets. Dressed like Kyle Kyle, of course.

He already posted a lot of that stuff last year. I think it was a thread about the 20th anniversary of the website.
Mikky_Five

Post by Mikky_Five »

You're so right, George.

Too old to sleep on the sidewalk anyway. Keeping the pants, though.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Who says the # 13 is unlucky?

....sooner than ya think.

$tEvil
BlackCrypt
Win, Lose or Hieroglyph

Post by BlackCrypt »

gtrjay
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by gtrjay »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:31 am Who says the # 13 is unlucky?

....sooner than ya think.

$tEvil
Excited to read this.
But enough teasing. It’s like you’re giving us “just the tip” :lol:
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher