TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #21 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #12 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

sneak peak at TUFF DIARY #13.....

I just read thru 13 & 14... OMG...I laughed outloud a bunch of times...you are gonna love these.

Here is a snippet from #13

-----------------------------------------------------
Ready, Set, Look at Nude Magazines!

This smaller overdub studio is in a residential neighborhood.

Preferred Sound Studios was West of Topanga Canyon Blvd. just South of Ventura Blvd and
North of Mulholland Highway.

This place will be our home for the next month doing guitars, lead vocals and a bunch of other
overdubs.

This includes Howard playing keys on a few tunes, Michael doing some percussion and our
guest back-up singers.

This whole process was super exciting as each day something new was happening.

And along the way, now we could really start to hear the songs come to life.

We had done this before, but recording a 3 or 4 song demo over a few days’ time is much
different than recording a full length album for a major record label.

Previous demo sessions were done for a couple thousand dollars over a few days.

This time, we’re going to have 50 times the budget and 4-5 weeks times to do it in.

I recall one day Howard gave our studio runner $100.00 and sent him to the store.

He was ordered to get some essentials for the studio.

An hour later he returned with a few bags full of candy, gum and dirty magazines.

Correct, nude magazines for us to look at - likely to keep us out of Howard’s hair.

Howard was a lot of fun but was all business when he needed to be.

I remember all of us being there the first few days, and loving it.

FYI: the runner is a person who is there to basically do what their name suggests, run and get
this or that when needed.

My guess is he was paid $100 a day, to basically wait for Howard to say “It’s lunch time, go get
us 3 pizzas” and then hand the guy a crisp fifty.

Michael had a video camera and recorded much of the shenanigans. Maybe one day we can
unearth these epic clips.

The studio was awesome but after a few incidents of everyone interjecting their opinions “Hey
do this on that part” Howard yelled at us.

He wasn’t mean, but he had to take control and let us know who the boss was.

Something like our parents would tell us when we were kids, “Be seen and not heard.”

He didn’t need everyone’s 2-cents on which vocal or guitar riff sounded better.

So after a week or so of goofing around the law was laid down.

If you weren’t recording, you didn’t need to be there.

Michael was the exception to that rule as he was usually my ride, and he was also the sanest
and most mature of the group.

Todd was done with bass tracks but at some point he was there to sing backgrounds too.

I do recall Todd getting mad that he wasn’t going to sing backgrounds on every song.

Todd is not really a singer, but he definitely helped define our vocal sound, especially as the
main backup voice in the band.

But fact is, he’s just not a great singer and that is where Howard hired some pros.

Chase as we called him, was less than happy and voiced his opinion more than a few times.

But he was overruled by the band and ultimately the Producer.

Jorge was there for all guitar parts.

The days he was not, he was likely sleeping until 2:00pm or later.

Jorge awake before noon was laughable.

Our recording schedule was similar to our pre-production (rehearsal) schedule.

Start time was 12:00 noon, and we’d go until 6:00pm.

Some days we would go later, but we were usually done by 8:00 or at the latest 9:00pm.

As we approached week #3 Howard informed me I was on deck.

He started to alternate days, for me (singing) and Jorge (playing solos).

Obviously there are a lot of vocal and guitar parts, more than basic drums or bass.

Usually Scott would arrive first (11:00am) and prep for Howard based on that day’s schedule.

On days I was to sing, I would be instructed to arrive around 1:00pm.

This way Scott and Howard could do some edits, other studio work and prepare the track I was
going to sing that day.

For me, this meant me warming up earlier, getting my tea, honey, lyrics and anything else I was
going to need in advance.

Same applied for Jorge, and his guitar tracks.

I was always prepared, on time and I’d like to think easy to work with.

Not that the others were not, but there were some incidents that stand out.

One especially involving Jorge.

Jorge was always a late sleeper as noted above.

Which when having a strict recording schedule, with paid studio time, the Producer, Engineer all
getting a salary as well - you’d think most would understand their responsibility.

Of course we all did.

Except for Jorge.

If we had a time-clock from these sessions, I’d bet he was tardy more than the other 3 of us
combined.

And even if he was on time, Jorge was this guy; “Shit, I forgot to get batteries”

Of course he didn’t realize this until he was at the studio, literally opening up his guitar case.

Howard would then instruct the runner to do his job.

Now the 1:00pm start time will be more like 1:30 or 1:45.

So one day Jorge is there, and they are starting to record guitars.

He’s a few takes in and suddenly the phone is ringing and Jorge has to take an important call.

Note: this is before cell phones or at least, before any of us had them.

Jorge is now in the studio lounge arguing with his then girlfriend on the phone.

There was always drama with these two.

Now after a few heated phone calls Jorge informs Howard and Scott, he must go home.

Why?

Because his girlfriend is going to commit suicide.

Typical shit with this guy.

Who knows what they were really fighting about, but needless to say - everyone was pissed.

I was there, and Michael too.

I’ve always been a bit cut-throat and a joker for sure, so I voiced the following: “Let her, we’ve
got a record to make for Atlantic.”

Then I would just return to eating my licorice looking at a new copy of Big Boobs Bizarre.

Michael was likely thinking the same but was more controlled with his emotions.

Of course Jorge is now all worked up, flustered and yelling into the phone.

I’d bet she never even said anything about suicide.

My guess is whatever their argument was over probably had her saying something along the
lines of: “And if you don’t come home right now, I’ll be flushing your pot down the toilet.”

This of course would have had him lose his mind.

So in typical Jorge fashion, he left the Woodland Hills studio and drove back to their apartment
in North Hollywood.

Noting, that’s easily 30-40 minutes in traffic 1-way.

Howard and Scott found other work to keep them busy while Michael and I fumed at his
decision.

Like many group arguments, we all vented while he was gone.

A few hours later he returned but in typical Jorge fashion, careless and carefree.

I guess she lived and Jorge didn’t understand why everyone was annoyed with him.

Jorge never took responsibility for any of his bad decisions. Ever.

Oh well, we’re a team and he is part of the group, so we just dealt with it.

Truth is, we all had our faults, I included.

I’ll drop a few bombs on myself, in time.

-----------------------------------------------------

$tEvil ;-)
gtrjay
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #12 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by gtrjay »

Awesome!!! Thx $tevil for posting this
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
MetalSludgeCEO

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #13 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

TUFF DIARIES (Entry #13)
Recording our Atlantic Records debut, Bret Michaels, Kane Roberts and Sex is fine, but you can’t sleep over
#StevieRachelle #Tuff #TuffDiaries #MetalSludge #ToddChase #JorgeDeSaint #MichaelLean #HowardBenson #ScottCampbell #AtlanticRecords #BretMichaels #KaneRoberts #KenMary #Koth #FrankieMuriel #MotleyCrue #Poison #SunsetStrip #Hollywood #TitaniumRecords #AndySecher #HitParader #MetalSludge
http://metalsludge.tv/tuff-diaries-13-r ... leep-over/

$tEvil
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #13 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by cowpins »

Stevie, how were the nerves when signing to "Jack" over the phone?
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

cowpins wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:18 am Stevie, how were the nerves when signing to "Jack" over the phone?
Who is Jack?

$tEvil
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:06 am
cowpins wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:18 am Stevie, how were the nerves when signing to "Jack" over the phone?
Who is Jack?

$tEvil
Mr. Cuzzi. Loosen the weave, Blondie. Seriously, I know that you've always been confident and had some notoriety at that point, but that doesn't happen every day.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
BlackCrypt
Win, Lose or Hieroglyph

Post by BlackCrypt »

"I think they call that a filter."

This made me really LOL!!

Jack Cuzzi? Real incognito Bert!
Constantine wrote:ur a fkn degenerate,
Metal Sludge wrote:It is after all, only a message board...relax!
Trist805 wrote:Chip, You owned me and I will admit defeat. I love big black cocks. Hope you are happy.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

suckit wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:11 pm "If Bret and I had anything in common – besides growing up in the Midwest..."

Pennsylvania is the Midwest? Someone failed geography.
I guess I was thinking Mechanicsburg was in Western Pennsylvania, which upon googling this I see it's more central PA.

My ba(l)d.

$tEvil
whoopie
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by whoopie »

WOULD :D

(--------------------------( )( )
zzzzzzz
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by zzzzzzz »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:11 pm
suckit wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:11 pm "If Bret and I had anything in common – besides growing up in the Midwest..."

I guess I was thinking Mechanicsburg was in Western Pennsylvania, which upon googling this I see it's more central PA.

My ba(l)d.

$tEvil
Burt Miracles was born in Butler, PA, which is in Western Pennsylvania. The Midwest for most of us from this area ends in central Ohio and then the Alleghenies is the split from the East Coast. I've always heard the area called Northeast Ohio or Western PA, so I guess it's a no man's land out here. :lol: :lol:
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

suckit wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:43 am
MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:11 pm

My ba(l)d.

$tEvil
apparently you're not alone in thinking that PA is part of the Midwest -

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... e-midwest/

I'm with you. PA is northeast to me.And Kentucky is the South.
Darth Blotzer
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Darth Blotzer »

I'm glad these semantics are being worked out. How many Midwesterners can point to Europe on a world map?
TenBenny wrote: Tokkin' with Dokken
gtrjay

Post by gtrjay »

Or that Colombia is spelled with two O’s and not Columbia like Columbia NY or that shit clothing line! :lol:
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
gtrjay

Post by gtrjay »

Or that Colombia is spelled with two O’s and not Columbia like Columbia NY or that shit clothing line! :lol:
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Loving the stories....

The Bret song is even more intriguing now.... Was the chorus actually Loves a Hard Game to Play? Stevie Nicks ended up recording that.

And Stevie Rachelle wrote the chorus to Wake Me Up?

I might be answering my own question....but did Bret possibly add that part because he didn't really write the song? This is all a mystery to me because obviously he could write. Not sure why he took this random song from another band and gave it to Tuff...
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:53 pm Loving the stories....

The Bret song is even more intriguing now.... Was the chorus actually Loves a Hard Game to Play? Stevie Nicks ended up recording that.

And Stevie Rachelle wrote the chorus to Wake Me Up?

I might be answering my own question....but did Bret possibly add that part because he didn't really write the song? This is all a mystery to me because obviously he could write. Not sure why he took this random song from another band and gave it to Tuff...
The song was written by the singer of a band called Soul Kitchen.

SK were on Giant Records, and had a release in 1992 ish.

The song "Wake Me Up" was not Bret's song, as we came to find out later. The singer from SK actually came out publically in an interview in Music Connection Magazine after our album was released. There was some drama related, and we were contacted at some point and asked how the song came to us, etc..

Not sure exactly what happened, but in the end, I am pretty sure it was squashed and figured out between Bret and that band.

$tEvil
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Thanks Stevie! But in the Tuff diary, I saw the chorus of Loves a Hard Game to Play written down also. Was that song pitched to you as well?

You actually had some other great lighter songs like Summertime Goodbye, Place Where Love Can't Go, People They Change ... But I'm guessing they were left off because they would've made the record too light.

Anyway... everybody is loving the stories. Thanks for sharing!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
killdrum
Opening for Slaughter

Post by killdrum »

So.....eh?
NearlyNormal
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by NearlyNormal »

killdrum wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:23 pmSo.....eh?

Yes, all entries are nearly done. Will be posting soon and wiki try to be more on top of it.

Stay tuned!

$tevil

There.

There's your update.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Hurry up, ya' cunt.
TheAllNightRocker
Headlining Clubs

Post by TheAllNightRocker »

Soooooo...???
Luring disco dollies to a life of vice
RoyalSlack
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by RoyalSlack »

I quite enjoy reading these, if there are more.
"Champagne for my real friends and real pain for my sham friends." -Tom Waits
Deege
Headlining Clubs

Post by Deege »

Random question, Stevil....when you release these diary entries, do you send portions of them to the people you are talking about in some cases to make sure you have things correct, or clear them with lawyers, or something similar as to make sure nothing goes too far or whatever, and that holds things up, or you just don't have the time to get them 100% the way you want them before you release them and that's the holdup?! lol
http://www.FuzzRecordingStudio.com
Affordable Multitrack Recording (Ohio)
http://www.SDMFworldwide.com
The Official Black Label Society Fan-Site
kngnothing838
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by kngnothing838 »

Deege wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:32 pm Random question, Stevil....when you release these diary entries, do you send portions of them to the people you are talking about in some cases to make sure you have things correct, or clear them with lawyers, or something similar as to make sure nothing goes too far or whatever, and that holds things up, or you just don't have the time to get them 100% the way you want them before you release them and that's the holdup?! lol
I'm sure Stevie pays for an entire legal team to read over each diary entry to make sure the facts of him banging groupies next to trash dumpsters is totally accurate.
TheAllNightRocker
Headlining Clubs

Post by TheAllNightRocker »

I hope you release more Tuff Diaries soon. I kinda like reading the rock adventures of dudes in bands with sweet names like Atomic Darlin' and Lixx Array
Luring disco dollies to a life of vice
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Deege wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:32 pm Random question, Stevil....when you release these diary entries, do you send portions of them to the people you are talking about in some cases to make sure you have things correct, or clear them with lawyers, or something similar as to make sure nothing goes too far or whatever, and that holds things up, or you just don't have the time to get them 100% the way you want them before you release them and that's the holdup?! lol
On occassion I will ask someone about a incident, date, or their recollection.

Do I ask for their permission to write about them, or the event...for the most part ... not at all.

Hold up? The only hold up is I need to have some slides scanned into a .jpg format, which I have been blowing off for months. My bad.

Seriously...I have a few of these done... but I want to use the pics I recently aquired from William Hames.

In short...I have just been slacking big time.

Oddly...I just re-read #14, and I need to get these pics sorted ASAP...it's my best entry to date...as are the next several.

All of the up coming are 1991 era... all during the WCAGA tour, video shoots, MTV, Atlantic Records, etc...

Some... REALLY good shit in here...

Sorry for my dragging here...

$tEvil
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

I know a lot of us have plenty of time to read it!
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
MetalSludgeCEO

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #14 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

TUFF DIARIES (Entry #14)
New York City, Mixing the Record, Video Shoots, Sony Publishing, Cherry St. and Tigertailz
#Tuff #TuffDiaries #StevieRachelle #StevieTuff #ToddChaisson #JorgeDeSaint #MichaelLean #HowardBenson #Sony #Mtv
#SirArthurPayson #DennisDudek #KendogCarruth #NYC #Glam #AtlanticRecords #NewYorkCity #Hairbands #Hollywood
#80s #SunsetStrip #CherrySt #Tigertailz #SteeviJaimz #MarthaQuinn #BrianKushner #KelvHellrazer #WilliamHames #MetalSludge
http://metalsludge.tv/tuff-diaries-14-n ... igertailz/

$tEvil
theglammerthebetter
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #14 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by theglammerthebetter »

Good stuff as always, Did you buy anything "fancy" with that 7K ?
They say all good boys go to heaven
But bad boys bring heaven to you
BulletProofPoet
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BulletProofPoet »

Loved that first Tigertailz album with Steevi. Great read as always!!